Plants blooming today (Continued)

Orlando, FL

Thank you! The pitcher is "Miranda".

Orlando, FL

Water lily...kangaroo paw...and purslane

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Bonnie, loved another virtual walk around your garden, the ponds are looking good and everything is getting so big, thinking of you today, hope the eye surgery goes well.
Melanie the Ruby Frost is really pretty, got to keep an eye for that one.
Shauna and Locoluna, great pics, everything looks so pretty.
David I just planted some Double Purple Datura seedlings into the ground this week from their pots... I hope they do well and look like yours soon.

Some more blooms from Sanibel, not sure what the purple flowered tree is, but sure was pretty.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

How pretty Melanie, those purslane pieces you broke off for me is doing great, really like it.

Orlando, FL

Sherri, those pictures are awesome! Glad you like the purslane...a new twist on an old favorite. The cactus you posted is a hylocereus polyrhizus...dragon fruit. I forgot mine existed. Maybe it is blooming? The flowers are interesting to watch unfurl.

Thanks for the plant ID. I just put my pagoda flower in the ground this week, it sure has grown since we bought them. The flower is just awesome. I'm so out of room, no more plants, no more plant, no more plants....HA!

Orlando, FL

You are welcome. I just planted mine as well. I have many more to plant. Planted several trees. Maybe next year I'll have a little shade. Even the morning sun is harsh for some of my plants.

I forgot to say the pink perfection took a hold too, I thought it was gone, but all that rain helped and it is busting out new leaves. I'm so glad because it was the one plant you made the special trip over here to bring me.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That purslane is awesome! We've been growing it at MOSI and the only problem we had was when it got too much water and started to rot. They're in hanging baskets and the butterflies seem to like them, too.

Melanie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Your pictures are great and your plant collection fascinating Locoluna. Love that Hummingbird sage!
Fun Sanibel Pic's too SK!

Orlando, FL

Thank you David. That particular hummingbird sage popped up in grass next to flower bed. I think it is a cross between the red one and the pink and white one. Thats my guess anyway... I see hummingbird moths visit it at dusk.

Orlando, FL

Sherri, I went back to Lukas and got into trouble AGAIN. I'm cut off..he...he... Zoe enjoyed the butterflies even though it was pouring rain the whole time. Some of the things I got STILL need to go in the ground. Summer came too fast this year. Or maybe I'm just a brat..the heat and the bugs are too much already. M~

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

There were sightings of an incurable gardener on the loose today in Central Florida......yep, my daughter and I went out on a sorte. We keep hearing reports of passiflora incarnata and passiflora pallens growing on the roadsides throughout the state yet we've never seen either. Today we traveled from Tarpon Springs to Brooksville via every back road we could find. We found a bunch of cool blooms but no passiflora. I couldn't believe the stuff that we found today but need help to ID it. I know there are ID forums but I know the experience of posters in this thread should probably be able to ID these quickly.

Hope you have a successful surgery Bonnie and even quicker recovery!

Awesome blooms locoluna, bonnie, sunkissed and shauna!

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm interested in finding out what that plant is in the first 2 pictures Retired Florida. My mind skips me, but if I'm right it is an old Florida native my Grandparents used to have in abundance on their property and I am remembering was a popular Victorian era plant? I will add that to my gardens when I find it again for sure. If it is the plant I remember does it have a musky smell?

the second plant you photographed looks like another my Grandmother had that she called "Red nosed Wino"........... HaHaHa! Could it be true? Hope someone can answer...

Thanks for sharing...

David

This message was edited Jul 10, 2013 6:39 AM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Red Nosed Wine!?!?!?!?!!?!? Very interesting indeed!!!!

Those first two photos sure look like a Clerodendrum of some sort to me, really pretty bloom. I'd be snatching a clipping off that one.

Here you go, got to be this one, Clerodendrum bungei: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1253/#b

http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/cler_bun.cfm

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes Sunkissed, that's what I was thinking, too but I couldn't remember the name of the flower! We used to have them at MOSI; my boss loved them and said they smell like Froot Loops.

Melanie

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sunkissed and everyone else for your help. What are the chances of finding two Clerodendrum growing on the roadside in one day. Honestly, these were not in front of anyone's home or property but in ditches next to a road in Spring Lake about a mile apart.

Ooops, almost forgot the 2nd plant also a Clerodendrum is called Turk's Turban, Sky Rocket or Bowing Lady ;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54153/

Sunkissed, I got the whole plant, both of em roots and all, haha. They were wilted pretty badly when I got them home but I'm hoping they'll recover. If not, I know where to get more ;-)

The Rose Glory Blower (1st pic) really is a beautiful plant and from what I could see, the butterflies loved it too.

Darren

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Darren, I am sure you can give them the TLC they need to grow and thrive.

My lavender cat whiskers and red bee balm.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Orlando, FL

Red Crape myrtle...crown o thorns...kalanchoe ( no flower, but a kinda neat leaf with babies)...NOID cane begonia...bat face cuphea. :) HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

Darren they say they can be invasive, probably escaped from someone's landscape. Enjoy your new babies, and maybe you'll get babies to share someday. :)

Shauna I have the white cat whiskers, never seen the lavender, how pretty, and red bee balm, never seen it in red before. Nice share.

Nice close ups Melanie, the crape looks like "Red Dynamite" so deep in color. Remember the piece of begonia we had in our purses? Well it is sprouting new growth...forget what kind it was but a very large begonia plant.

My new Texas star hibiscus's first flower. This is the one I bought at the native plant nursery in Sanibel...I bought two of them. My white Natchez crape myrtle, very tall tree. Mushrooms growing in a pot, and the next day they opened, then next they were gone.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Nice crop of 'shrooms!!!!

I have the white TX Stars. They have buds but none are blooming yet.

Orlando, FL

Shauna..I like the red bee balm. Great color! And cat whiskers are always cute!
Sherri...is the texas star also called swamp hibiscus? Love that red too!! That pink begonia gets tall canes. It will love you back garden.

Yes it is Swamp Hibiscus, I have a white from seeds someone gave me, but still a wee little thing, probably no flowers this year. The flowers are brief, lasting only one day.
Good to know about that begonia. I think that orange Jasmine is getting new growth too...it hasn't died.

Q, love to see what the white blooms look like so hope you get a pic when the flowers pop out.

Orlando, FL

Oops

This message was edited Jul 15, 2013 11:14 PM

White TX Star blooming

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My goodness! I don't think I've ever seen this plant before! What a HUGE flower! Gorgeous Q!

BTW…I was noticing that this thread is getting really long…sunkissed, do you want to start a continuation?

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 5:31 PM

I can share....................I have a small one that needs to be moved to a better location. They seem to like a lot of sun.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

A lot of sun is surely what I have! Anything special that you may be looking for? Trade?

A close up of that flower may be a wonderful frame for the continuation of this thread to a new one!

Love the bloom Q, the flowers are so pretty on this plant.

Okay starting a new thread....see ya there...Plants blooming today #3

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1325758/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.