Florida Chit-Chat #9 March is going out like a Lion!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300595/ . This is where we talk about any and every thing.
Here in Okeechobee I have been drenched, nearly blown away, 30+ mph and tonight it's getting down to 36º.
Didn't Spring "spring" last week? ;)
I got an e-mail I want to share;

Quoting:
Dear members and friends of Duval Audubon Society,

Earth Month is just a week away, and we need you now more than ever to gather signatures for the Florida Water and Land Conservation Amendment! Floridians will be celebrating Earth Day throughout April, and these festivals and events provide great signature gathering opportunities. We need you to sign up for a signature gathering shift more than ever! Will you sign up to volunteer today?

Campaign volunteers are actively gathering signatures throughout the state because we have less than one year to gather the remaining volunteer signatures needed to put the Water and Land Conservation Amendment on the 2014 ballot. The most important thing you can do to protect our rivers, springs, beaches and most special places is to volunteer. Sign up today and let’s ensure that state lawmakers make conservation a priority!

Please visit Florida’s Water and Land Legacy website to learn more about the campaign and sign up to volunteer today. Campaign staff will provide all the materials and training you need and connect you with other volunteers in your area!

We know how much our members care about protecting clean water, restoring vital natural areas, and safeguarding our springs and other magnificent treasures for future generations. That’s why we know we can count on you to sign up for at least one signature gathering shift between now and April 30!

For Florida’s future,

Sincerely,

Pete Johnson,

Here's the link : http://floridawaterlandlegacy.org/pages/113/volunteer-today/

I wish I had known of this earlier. I could have gotten many signatures. I will have some petitions for the RU.
For one thing they want to drain some of our natural Aquifers. We need to stop that. I hope we can also have a discussion about preserving what's left at Bonnie's RU. Once a tree hugging Hippie, always one!

Went fishing last Tuesday night and caught 22 Speckled Perch. Will bbe fitting my boat for fishing!
Now for those of you ailing, please get on the mend.
My next post will have RU information.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes,

Thanks for sharing the valuable information. The Sandhills are my favorite Florida cranes.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sydney thanks for the new thread

Shauna welcome. I am North Florida Native.

Sandy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I totally love every february when the sandhill cranes come to gainesville. Ive never seen another bird that can fly as high as these cranes. Im sure there are many, I just havent seen them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

March going out like a lion, lets hope April rides in like a lamb...and stays that way!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Totally agree. Ive still got lots to do in the yard and the mosquitos will be here soon no matter what. I do find any pleasure sharing the garden with them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lubber grasshoppers, mosquitoes, love bugs...it seems we are always sharing our gardens with something!

I have lost most of my tomato seedlings. DARN IT!!!

Sandy

I was right to post that I could not go to the RU, the knee is a mess, the surgery did not fix the problem. Going to go tomorrow to see if there is any way to reduce the pain
I might not post much but I will be reading or trying to read everyone's post.

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Geez Sandy I sure hope dr. can do something to ease your pain.
Your in my prayers.
Bonnie

thank you

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Regarding sandhills. I have pictures of times we had 200 out in the pasture and people would stop in the road and take pictures. Theya re just beautiful. Now we are lucky if we have a pair that has 2 little ones. This year only 1 baby made it but he is still around with his parents.
Bonnie

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I especially like it when they get thick up in the trees. I cant believe how many cranes can fit in trees.
I hope im not going to be sorry I didnt bring anything in tonight.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It's 40 degrees here right now - COLD! I covered a few things and pray for their survival.

Good morning was to cold. I have last most of my tomato seedlings, before next year I need to fix a better seed starting area. But I have never had any problem starting seeds in March before

Sandy

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning, 37 degrees in Ocala at 5 am.... 33 now at 7 am. I was able to put most of potted things and seedlings away onside yesterday for about the 10th time this year. Been dragging potted Carambola, Brugmansia and key lime trees in all winter too. Definitely a winter for me to start researching building a green house. Vegetable garden is at extreme risk right now as I have, of course, pushed things and put some of the larger tomatoes in the ground last week. Let's go Spring! Have a great day everyone!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

40 here also. I'm simply amazed how warm the plastic GH stays. I have it placed where it gets a lot of sun and up against a building on 1 side. I did put lights in for the 30 deg nites but otherwise just keep it zipped closed. Noticed yesterday I have some cherry tomatoes almost red enuf to pick.

I'm looking for some plants that will be low growing & do well in mostly shade.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Sydney, thanks for the new thread.

Through no fault of your own, the last one's civility seemed to be degrading. What can I say? We write, we read. Don't want to read? Afraid of the Amadeus syndrom (too many letters)? There must be something else you could do to occupy your valuable waking hours. We are all prisonners here of our own devices.

I'll try to be brief and give you an idea of what I wanted to share with you. If my post is too long, please feel free to jump to the next one. Here goes:

-46 degrees here righ now,
- yet another health scare - bummer,
- neighbor wants rooted cuttings - good,
- water lilies growing - woo hoo,
- philodendrons love MiracleGro - life is good,
- friend in hospital doing better - prayers were heard,
- I wish Jeremy would favor us with one of his lengthy dissertations soon. I could delight in reading it with a cup of freshly brewed expresso. Crimony, this is getting long already. Not even sorry !

I hope nobody's head exploded from a reading overload. I also hope this posting style won't catch on.

Take care, all.
Sylvain

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 6:10 AM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you and understood civil Sylvain.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013 5:26 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, one thing is for sure, nobody can out do Jeremy when it comes to lengthy. Its cold here this morning, the AC man is coming to put in our new ac. After having to pay all this money, I wont even get to use it today. Summer will come soon enough tho. I should have cleaned the garage sooner, thats for sure. Back out to make room for the guy to get the attic stairs down, brrrrrr. Then, some mopping..yuk, and hope they get here soon, so i wont fret about it after that.
Everyone have a good day.

Pam, in my garage, I have a couple of paths only, until I move the piles of blankets into storage - this is NOT FUN!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yea, this garage thing....its all I can stand. My husband is a full blown horder and if I had the $ Id be full blown GONE. I actually take my trash to an apartment complex if I have the time, just to keep him from going thru it and taking out trash I have rightly thrown out. Heck, even if it was not trash, its like your Mother going thru your stuff when you were younger. ;-O

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hopefully this last cold snap will be the last one of the season and spring finally shows up.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

From your mouth to Gods ears!!!!
Dogs just got a squirrel, just shoot me now. Im not going to finish it off, but its hurt.
On the good side, my plants didnt freeze last night, and I left out some pretty tender ones. Just brought in a couple orchids.

I left a message over on FB for Jeremy, so hopefully we will hear from him soon

Sandy

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sydney they were passing around that petition at the Leu Gardens plant sale, we all signed it..a good cause.

Jami, love the wonderful garden plot you have, you've really been working hard...hope the temps didn't dip too low there...you are very fortunate to have all you do at such a young age...and I agree about gardening being a wonderful therapy.

To be safe I brought in my jalapenos, tomatillos, tomatoes, and of course all the orchids, a few tropical hanging plants too. I'm glad to have my veggies in pots at times like this. I've already lost a few of my Amaranthus seedlings, was taking them outside, but all the rain, wind and cold, they're back in again.

Sand Cranes almost made me wreck my Jeep a few weeks ago, landed right in the four lane road and cars were going everywhere. They seem to like four lane roads.

They are quite friendly birds, the last photo the crane was very interested in my husband fixing his bike.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

OK everybody stop complaining. If your warm and wallking your blessed. And GG I'd like to just have a garage to clean.
Nuff said.

Sherri, I love the sandhills also. I feed them cracked corn when they come into pasture but one day I got too close and one came after me. Didn't know this fat old body could still move that fast. They probably felt threatened.
No lectures I know you are not supposed to feed them. They do eat the corn out of the cow poop so I know they like it.
The one watching your hubby fix his bike was just curious as most of them are. I love it when a flock flies over and honks all the way along.

Sylvain,
Are you aware I am having another RU April 13. Last one in 2011 you had to work. Your presence would be enjoyed I'm sure. Aren't I poetic. LOL

My sence of humor never quits. (usually) It's time to take my sence of humor outside and spread more mulch. Took me almost 2 weeks to shred the stuff up might as well use it.

Happy gardening all and stay warm. It's noon here now and its up to 50 perfect for outside work.
Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Those are truly the most incredible picture of the Sandhills I have ever seen Sherri....Really,...and the one with your husband working on his bike and being watched by one of them is lifetime photo catch!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Pu'ole. You can't just leave us hanging you when drop lines like...another health scare. Remember, we love you and everything about you and Gale is important to us. I like the long dissertations. Brings us all closer together and our chatter has what has kept me going the last 8 years. Can you believe it? Been a paying member since 2005. Which brings me to the next mark of time....our daughter is 50 years old today. I tell everyone she is adopted as I am only 45. yuk,yuk. We are still doing the Easter Spell as far as the weather is concerned. It has been from 31 to 71 since Monday morning and today is only Wednesday. Supposed to storm the next two days as is to be expected. The weather on Good Friday often mimics the storm when Jesus died. In Texas, next week we will probably be in the upper 80's.

Good night, all. Don't let the bedbugs bite.

Christi aka Princess Kilikina

Christi, I knew were the same age!!!! I've been 45 years old16 years and will be 47 this coming April 8th!!! Time sure flies, doesn't it? How long has Aaron been with God - has it been 8 years?!

I have good news. Jeremy has internet once more. But he is tied up doing some needed buisness.
He said to say hi to everyone.
For those who have never talked to Jeremy on here-his is a master gardener and a wonderful and crazy guy.

Good night everyone

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad Jeremy has internet again. VERY glad he is doing better healthwise. Thanks Wren.

It was 32 at 7:30 here this morning. Forgot to cover little potted plants are in for RU so I'm hoping they aren't all dead. My hub. said it didn't last very long. He checked during the night. Only those who have GH may have plants left for RU but thats life. This winter has really been a roller coaster ride.

Got to go out and check on my fish. Hope nobodys frozen.

Take care al, Bonnie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Kay, it appears we are the same young age. Aaron left us for Glory April 14, 2009 at 25 years of age. He will be eternally young.

And forever loved and remembered, Christi!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

What an absolutely STUPENDOUS day to be out gardening. Had to come in to gran lunch & take off a layer of clothes. Been spreading my top soil & now I need to get my Cannas & lillies into the ground. Opened the GH so the tomatoes can get some fresh air. They are so ready to get in the ground.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

It sure was. We drove down to Indialantic today, spent some time at the beach, sat out on the dock ( Intercoastal) with the sun glistening off the water and all sorts of water birds, and had a nice birthday lunch with my Dad out there. He was 90 today. It was a tad cool, even down there for sea dooing tho. The bouganvilla have the whole place it up. The red ones...o so pretty, especially with the crotons. Cant say it better than Jean...a stupendous day.
Back to reality tomorrow and doing something about my sad looking yard. Ill get a handle on it sooner or later tho.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I am at that overwhelmed point too GG.....

I think it has to do with the fear factor thing,...."Are the seedings ever gonna get a chance to heads up, and will this be the last time to worry about,... is Spring here yet?" Ha!
It was a STUPENDOUS day!...

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

According to the weather man, we should be expecting spring-like temps for at least the next 10 days..nothing predicted but a continuous warm-up! It seems that Marchuary may be over and Spring is finally here!!!

Jupiter, FL

I am just now taking down the plastic off my orchid house. It has been a very strange winter season for sure.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

wow, I would have never quessed you needed orchid protection that far south

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.