Florida Chit-Chat #9 March is going out like a Lion!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I was awakened by a $%/>%&% wood pecker tapping Morse code on our house's dowspouts this morning. What is wrong with that bird? Can't it tell gutter and downspouts are made out of metal?

Take care, all.
Sylvain

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Good morning everyone

Sylvain he is "sing" to his mate. They like the gutters as they make more noise than a hollow branch. LOL

Doing good today but have not been out to look at the plants.

Sandy

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Bonnie that is great to hear about the sandhill cranes. My wrens came back with their babies after we killed off the last rats. :)
Sylvain I have a woodpecker that does the same thing, the cats run to the window to watch it.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri, glad you got rid of the rats. They are a pain.
Sylvain, I've got a red bellied woodpecker that gets on top of our lightpole where service comes into house and he taps on the metal up there. Doesn't bother me cause I'm up long before he is. We have frogs around here that would wake anybody seranading all night. Some sound like barking dogs. The CTF sounds like a rachet. They are really a pain.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Ah yes, the frogs.

We had bullfrogs in the river across from our house when I was a kid. I thought those were big. I changed my mind when I saw nocturnal frogs the size of a grapefruit emerge after dark here. I love frog's legs, but there's no money in the world to get me to catch, dismember and cook those guys. If I tried, they'd probably gang up on me and prevail in the struggle.

Who knew frogs have purple poo? And it's not homogenous poo, either. There is a solid phase and a liquid phase. The solid part is composed of insect exoskeletons. They eat A LOT of insects. A purple liquid separates from the solids when excreted on the ground. Yes, you're right... I gave the subject ample consideration. It keeps me busy.

I have to use a broom and dustpan to get rid of the solids and a floor brush with soap and bleach to get rid of the purple stain. Every time I have to wash the carport's floor, I tell myself it's better to scrub the deck in the summer than shovel 3 feet of snow every other day during the 7 months that winter lasts in Canada. There are 2 seasons in Canada: last winter and the next winter.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Very interesting lesson for the day. I see no purple poo around here, but if I do, I'll now know what it is. :D
I do hear one cuban frog, it is in my gutter and will have to locate that guy soon. You're right Bonnie sounds like a barking dog up there.

Well now I have a bunny in the garden, I've never seen a bunny in all the twenty years we've lived here. I bet that is what ate my kale plant.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I try to make it point to learn one new thing everyday. Doesn't to be earth shattering or difficult, just some little item I didn't know when I got up this morning. hhhhhmmmmm.....purple frog poo....

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

David,

About that sand in the house, can't do much about the dogs and cats bringing it it......but if it's you, check your shoe treads. Are they narrow and tight? These catch the sand and won't let go until you walk and bend your foot. On the other hand, if your treads are larger patterned, get one of those cheesy plastic astro-turf door mats. Wipe your feet on those and they will usually take off the garden dirt/sand.

I have three mats before you get to my door, so wipe my feet three time and gave up those tight patterned sole/shoes.

But then, with the critters, they roll in the sand and come in and climb up on the bed or whatever.......indoor sandbox.

The gardens are well on their way into summer now. This week I have got 3 alstromeria (parrot flowers) blooming for the first time. Jeremy gave them to me 6-7 years ago. Long wait. In April, I got the first bloom on an iris I put in that many years ago too.

My roses are doing well this year. I have been cutting them and keeping a vase in the kitchen window. I find the most fragrant are the lavender and the pink ones.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh Molly. It is so good to see you. I have wondered so often how you were and if you were still out that way. I hoped to run into the garden festival, but clearly didnt ;-)

GG, I missed the fest, I missed the native plant sales, I missed a lot of of stuff, including roundups. Been so busy working when I have some off time, I just sit outside watching the bluebirds and cardinals.

Used to be, spring meant pulling wild blackberry brambles from my flower beds. Now its that, plus the goldenrod and the spiderworts. Don't know what got into me when I pulled the spiderworts from the dog yard and put them in my front gardens. 7 years ago Dogzilla said "friends don't give friends spiderworts" NOW I know why she said that.

Gardening in the forest and trying to keep things natural is really hard. The natives want to come in and take over everything. And then as all this is happening, you find you are getting older and need to rest more.

Pam, I pass by you neighborhood frequently and think of you every time. Been so long since I have been to your place, not sure I could find you.

Molly

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Molly,

You are absolutely right about that shoe tread thing.

I'm so addicted to my big ole' thick work boots since I use a shovel a lot,...that I can't go without them though. I do keep a large pan of water and a towel by my back door though, and either hose them off and dry them with the towel before I come in, or slosh the bottoms of them around in the pan and then dance on the large towel a lot though! If I remember......Ha!

Grandma and Mama taught me that trick. It really works well with bare feet too, and great for beach houses!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sure have missed you posting on here Molly. BUT you have to make money when the bus. is available. Just finished and delivered a job Fri. and was glad it was over. Don't seem to have the interest I used to in designing and fabricating window treatments anymore. Maybe 32 years is enough. I'd rather be working in the gardens it just doesn't pay well. LOL

Sylvain I know just what you mean about the staining poop. Some things it gets on just won't clean off of. Couldn't eat frog legs if you paid me.

I'll remember about the shoe treads. Makes sence small tread would hold more. I'm still looking for muckers boots as most I've found are over $100. Can't see that for garden boots. Maybe Tractor Supply will have something for less. I can't wear clogs and use a shovel. Davids methodology sounds good also. Wish my back door were closer to the garden. I have to use front door and it comes in on tile and then carpet which is always a mess. I keep my vacuum close by even tho it doesn't look good there.

LouC I also like to learn tidbits along life's way. Makes for an interesting day.

Happy gardening all.

Bonnie

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a chair just outside the back door. I put my "outdoor" shoes on out there & take them off there. Have the indoor shoes sitting right there. Plan works most of the time!!!!
Look in WalMart for the "muckers" boots. That is where I got mine.

Quilter, that seems like a good idea, I don't even dare to leave my gardening gloves outside. Too many things to crawl into them and the shoes.

Found a small scorpion on my kitchen ceiling the other day.

The kids are coming over today. Babette to help with the qbooks and Jeremy and the dgds to complain my pool isn't clean enough to swim in. But I don't reckon they'll mind that I am cooking the chicken dinner today.

Is this small tree a dog wood? I planted it 7 years ago, it's not very tall but started blooming 2 yrs ago.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Good Morning everyone
Started a new project and decided I need to wait for the yard guys to do it---it is heck to get old

Molly glad to hear from you . not a dogwood.

Sandy

Hi Molly, good to see you again. I am bad about leaving the gloves outside on my bench, but never have had anything crawl into them...yet. Your plant is pretty whatever it is.

Bonnie bet it feels good to get that job done, sure was a pretty set of drapes. It is amazing how much muck shoes cost...I have a nice pair I keep in my camper that I bought many years ago at Sam's Club, but they stopped selling them. I need a pair for the garden. But the exact same kind are now five times more expensive than I paid at Sam's.

Yes Sandy, I agree, it is heck. ;-)

Sherri

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Molly reminds me of my white althea???

Sherri, client was so happy with toppers I also made a table runner to match as a thank you gift. Thats my standard policy if there is any leftover fabric.

Maybe while I'm out in Cal. I will have ore time to browse for boots. Checked Walmart today and all they had was knee highs. I'll keep looking.

Sandy, keep looking up and you will feel much younger. Your raised beds look GREAT.

Bonnie

I have a small patch of corn and some okra coming up. I planted the corn close, very close.
My yard guys have never seen these grow. LOL

I had to stop working on the new stuff for the bird area until the yard guys come Saturday.

Sandy

Attention I have a message for everyone.

Jeremy told me to tell everyone Hello for him. He is still not feeling well but he wants everyone to know he is thinking about y'all

Sandy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

hello right back at him. All my best. Let us know if there is anyway we can help with anything.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey Molly, that looks like it may be a mock orange aka English Dogwood or French Dogwood, although like Sandy said, it's not a dogwood. Look up Philadelphus - there are different varieties and can get pretty big if you give them room.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

New Thread........ Summertime
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318299/

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 5:07 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 7:50 PM

Norma, I think the Philadelphus fits in there. I know that's been in my mind for a long time....just not sure where in the garden it was.

Molly

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Haven't been away--just lost the thread back in March when we were away!
A three foot black snake crawled to the back door and died yesterday-think one of the dogs did it in.
It is getting a bit warm now and I'm off to Fairfield CT to steward for the week, so I'll be very HOT when I return--all those days in the 70s will be nice but hard to get back to it!
Have had company several weeks so have backed off a bit-everything is growing fabulously! Put in new orchid sprayers aound the pool and replaced the heads around the koi pond-WOW--copper heads that put out 1/2 gallon a minute and the orchids love it! Pick ups pots that just happened to have HUGE plants in them at an estate sale and placed them around the pool.
Enjoyed the Fruit and Spice Park orchid festival last month-everyone in FL needs to put it on their ;ist for next year--great fun.
Well--off to exercise and pack-back on Saturday.
Debi

We have another thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318299/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.