Florida Chit-Chat #9 March is going out like a Lion!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hope those injections work.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks

morning started thread on the raised bed build we are getting ready to start
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1306038/
sandy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Where in the heck in Jeremy?!!!

I do not know

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

He is on Facebook. Fighting a plumbing problem. Sink won't drain.

I saw that and left a message for him to get over here.

Sandy

Time for him to trade some plants or landscaping for a plumber's services!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Jeremy is still dealing with his recovery.

Recovery?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im guessing from the cancer and any side effects?? I know last he posted he seemed better and was getting back his old roomate in the fall.

I hope that's correct - thanks for clarifying.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, Ive got my first seedling of the year blooming. Its headed to the cull pile after the rest bloom, but its fun to get the first blooms.

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

It's been an odd winter but here in Fleming island the swallow-tailed kites are back always a sign winter is over .

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yeah!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I realize that the Daylily might not have been up to your expectations GG... Yet I see great beauty in it. The 3 lesser developed petals along with the fluttery beautiful pink coloration almost give it an Iris type look to me,...and I think it is special! It looks like a cross between an Iris and a Daylily! I would be proud to have it in my gardens!

David

This message was edited Apr 11, 2013 4:54 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

If the dayliliy looked like the picture, I might keep it. It has a nice green throat, and im ALL about green. It has great substance. Some flowers are like tissue paper and are a mess by noon. I even like the light sepals, as bi-tones are some of my favorites. That picture was early in the am and they opened on up by about 10. The downfall of this flower is, its mauve. The color in person is mungy to me. In the picture it looks nice and pink. Besides plant habit...(tall scapes, lots of buds and branching), clear color is a must for me. This just doesnt have it.
Now if it had some nice green edges........
Im looking forward to its second flower, they are never just like the first. Sometimes better...sometime worse.

Was it hot out today...or what. yuk

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Well the tall scapes and lots of branching are a plus! Its still unique to me,...but I am not one who is a Daylily connoisseur and don't know all the rules of beauty.

It looked pretty in the picture and yes today was really muggy!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

David, the real issue with daylilies and seedlings is space. Even if you only plant a couple hundred seedlings, what to do with them??? Then comes next year,...and the next. As with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see alot of daylilies that go for 200 bucks, and people ohh and ahhh over them, and I wouldnt give you 5 bucks for it. There are some common areas of woods in the neighborhood, that is where I take my cull lilies, unless they are rust prone. If they grow there, all the better.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds good to me!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Johnnie - where have you been hiding????
Had 1" of rain last nite & the cooler winds are blowing nicely right now. Have caladiums & Peacock Orchids popping up.

GG - I plan to go to the Day Lilly sale here on 11 May. Any advice on which ones are the best to buy???? Better yet, want to head over & attend with me?!?!?!!?? We have some nice quilt shops near by!!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey all I posted this in the plant ID forum but thought I'd post here also since if it a Florida plant. A few years ago this started coming up in my Plumbago in the back garden. Thinking it was a sucker I kept lopping it down. Took me a couple years to realize is is some kind of tree and too big now to just pull out.

Now this is the weird part. These pictures are another one just like it that started growing in my front garden, and right in the middle of a dying Plumbago bush. Grew to this height in about two months. I pulled this one out very easy but took some pics of it to try and find out what it is. I look on my walks in the woods and see nothing with these leaves. They are thick and tough, stays evergreen and hasn't ever flowered.

Hope you all can help me. Thanks
-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

It looks like the tree that came up in my front yard after we took another tree down. I have no clue what it is but it is now ~10 ft tall and a nice shaped tree. I clean up the suckers that come up from the roots.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a Sea Myrtle. One of my favorite Florida natives. It can be hedged like a shrub and will grow into a small tree. It is completely evergreen even through harder freezes and is covered in snowy white tufts in the fall giving it a snow covered look. I have not found it to be overly invasive at all in my gardens.

The one I have is about to be chopped off about 6 feet and shaped into a ball. It will grow back in a tight Q-tip look by fall...

Baccharis halimifolia, Sea Myrtle, Salt Bush, Groundsel Tree are a few other names.

This is the way mine looks now before shaping...

David

( Spank climbed the fence post to watch me take these photos and to impress me with his amazing climbing abilities I'm sure. Had to throw the picture in! ) {:-)

This message was edited Apr 12, 2013 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Spank is indeed talented. I think all my cats are afraid of heights and that is probably a good thing.

A Sea Myrtle you say...................well, guess I'll keep it.

Thanks David, nice to know what it is. I read that only the female will get the nice white showy flowers. I've never seen any kind of flowers yet, so wonder if I have the male or the female...guess time will tell? More than likely a male, story of my life, male kids, male cats, a brother and no sister...☺.

Wish it picked a better spot to grow though.
Oh and thanks for the photos, and the kitty cat too.
-Sherri

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Male or female... here's a simple trick I didn't learn at the County Extention: place a dollar bill on the ground, under a rock on one side of the tree. On the other side of the tree, place a beer can on the ground. Wait a week. If new shoots develop and bend toward the dollar, it's a female. New growth towards the beer indicates a male. No growth? Your bush is just plain dead.

Bazinga.
Sylvain

You're too funny Sylvain.

I'm pretty sure the tree that is in the way back far corner behind the shed, content, where no one will ever really notice it... is a male. And the one I ripped up that was right smack in front of the house where no one could miss it, was the female. ☺

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

HaHaHaHaHaaa! Good one!

Well, since the company I was to have today has the stomach flu, I guess I better get my work clothes on & tackle the front yard before the storms move back in tomorrow.

Just heard of a new & improved Dollar Weed killer that is working on a friend's infestation so I'm heading across the road to get a "lifetime" supply - or at least enough to kill what is now out there.

Expanding a couple beds so I can camouflage bare spots of the lawn!!!!!

And I'd already prepared food to feed my company lunch, so dinner is already taken care of!!!

What is the name of that 'new' product?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I cant help thinking of everyone at the round up. I hope to be able to go one year.

I wish I could have gone, but there was no way this year

Dollar weed killer 2,4 D
uses 1 oz per gallon on water.

will it only kill dollar weed or will it kill other things also???

Supposed to kill "what it touches".

I do not want that!!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The ranchers use 24D in their canals also but my husb. won't let me use it in ours cause cows drink from there even tho county extension acquatic weed control man that i called down here said it won't kill cows. However, it is a non-selective herbicide and will kill anything it comes in contact with. I could use it along the road side but I use Big and Tuff from Tractor Supply which is also a non-selective herbicide. I spray it only when there is NO wind up to keep it from floating onto my fence which is covered with carolina and confederate jasmine.

I'm sure Q. will use it carefully. That dollar weed is a pain but I usually just pull mine as its in the middle of the yard and spraying might kill some of my prized plants.

Two young couples got lost and arrived late so Charlies trailor got loaded up with plants again so I have a ton of stuff to plant plus Sherii brought a whole bunch of seeds. I see at least 3 days of planting ahead of me but now I can slow down and enjoy it. Got some plants I never heard of so I am excited. Doesn't take much to make me happy and new plants are one thing that makes me VERY happy.

Keep a look out for pics as Sherii took some and I'm sure she'll post them on RU forum.

Bonnie

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I was released from the hospital on Friday night. When I tried to connect the antibiotic IV, I realized my pick line was blocked. So, I had to schlep myself back to the hospital for the medical equivalent of a shot of Drano. I'll be on IV antibiotics until may 16. I can't wait to be finished with that, but energy is returning slowly.

Keep well, y'all.
Sylvain

{{{{{{{{{{{{Sylvian}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.