Weather In Your Garden # 127 Waiting on Spring

South Hamilton, MA

We escaped damage during the high winds, although I'm sure that there are minor branches down. Rockport on the coast had winds around 80 mph.
Light snow predicted for tomorrow & 30 degree temps for the week.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Rose, I have arctic fire dogwood that has red stems, maybe that's it?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats what I was thinking too Deb, as I looked at mine! LOL

18 now, high of 30 with snow showers today.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 5:40 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

20 now going to 32.. got around an inch last night.. more flurries today.. saying it's going to be icy tonight

South Hamilton, MA

25° light snow overnight. When we came out of our 8am church service, it had started snowing again. Tiny flakes, however.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your sentiments, Rose. Currently I have posters of garden and forest vistas. My office is a semi- public place so I'm afraid to put something very personal or valuable there. I have some kid art of flowers on the bulletin board.

I am working on a new planting area that includes Arctic sun dogwoods. It will be a relief to get rid of the privet hedge encircling a black cherry tree and replace it with different winter interest shrubs including viburnums and dwarf JMs too.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like a nice plan, Rosemary! Partly sunny here, had 1/2 inch of snow last night that left my road slippery this morning.....flurries again for tonight....

Norwich, CT(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful winter day here in Norwich.
I have a clay pot of ornamental thyme outside. I usually bring it inside and this year I left outside. It is doing well.
It is very nice to spend my winter hours thinking about plants and dreaming about what I want to do outside.
I must clear an area for shade, since my lilacs came down with the storm and now I don't have shade and I must dig the roots of the lilacs. I am afraid I am going to destroy my candelabra primulas that I absolutely love. Maybe I will leave the trunks of the lilacs until the candelabras are out and then move them.

South Hamilton, MA

Very small snowflakes continue to fall. It is enough to bring the cardinals back to the area where seeds fall from the tube feeder. 27°

Thomaston, CT

The high here was 30....very sunny, & the sky is still light! Rose, I like the candelabra primroses,too...Iris, the cardinals are very welcome here, but haven't seen any in a week or so......

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

had snow, it's gone already...what's with the snowstorms this year? the snow doesn't last

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

19 and sunny

Norwich, CT(Zone 6a)

I spent my day waiting on Spring, gardening books, magazines, internet. I am all excited to start. I absolutely love lilacs, I do not want ever to live in a place where there are no lilacs. I lost my older lilacs with the storm, I only have one left, so I am going to give all my attention to it. I was reading that they like the ashes from the fireplace and one can spread them around from Fall until Spring. I go to the cabana, get my hand painted metal pail (beautiful winter scene) fill it with ashes and I am ready to put my coat on, get a flash light and go outside....
I stopped, I have germander next to my lilac. Does anyone know if germander likes the sweetness of the ashes?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's 16 this morning with a high of 29 today.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it lasts up here Jen.. 20 now going to 30.. more flurries for today

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Was 20. Now 23 and sunny.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

15 here this morning

South Hamilton, MA

25° & sunny

Thomaston, CT

Sunny, 23, not too much wind...Rose, not sure about the germander.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

snowed again a bit overnight, but pretty much gone already
28° right now
here's our front yard

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Thomaston, CT

That's about what mine looks like....more snow showers today, tomorrow, Wed. Enough already......

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

mid 20's and snowing

Thomaston, CT

Mid-20s & sunny...really noticing the increasing daylight right now!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the inch we had is still on the deck & grass

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

25 now going to 31.. snowing now

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's 9° now high of 21 for today.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't have germander, but I do spread ashes on my lilacs and the peonies in front and just about everywhere else because we have sandy nutrition-poor soil. There's a silver lining in losing lilacs. They burn a nice sweet fire in the fireplace. We lost our old ones to the neighbor's shade trees on the border and then planted new ones in a sunnier location.

Coating out there. 25.

Thomaston, CT

Lazy snow, 21.....

South Hamilton, MA

24° & overcast. wind seems to have dropped. snow should be moving to our south & only that part of MA receiving it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We were supposed to have had woken up to 2"...got nothing! :(
currently 27° and cloudy

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

23 and overcast.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

was 16 this morning - it is red sox truck day heading to Ft. Myers spring is coming

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Happy truck day all, wearing red today. Patti

Thomaston, CT

It's snowing...again...I need some baseball!

Sounds like possible accumulating snow Fri.

South Hamilton, MA

Snow fri here as well. One of the channels is having a program about the blizzard of 1978 tonight. Jumpwe 2 was on the wretling team bus that night. she was a scorer, & thanks to the driver taking a faster route, she made it home.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

flurries on and off this afternoon, snowing right now but I know we won't get any accumulation :(

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

78 i was running track for NU and did a 5 mile run in Boston - will never forget running into the wind up Comm Ave in a foot of snow - took the T home late that day and had a meet the next day at MIT - T was running nothing shut down. Would not have wanted to be on 128 in a car though.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wanna switch??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.