January-Covered in snow finally!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for January.

Weather liars really need to learn to read weather. We only got 2 inches maybe at most yesterday. Grass is still poking thru in some places.

Here are some more bird and snow pics.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You can have it, Pepper - I'll take our 70 degrees!

I want more snow!! LOL!! We didn't get enough. Plus we need the moisture pretty bad. Still in drought.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That bird in your first suet photo, pepper, looks like a penguin! It's got little wings like a penguin and the bill, head and even a little tail like a penguin! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin
I bet you photoshopped a penguin in there! Yeah, not much snow here either, maybe 2 inches, I doubt if it's even that much here.

LOL!! No photoshopping. Just luck and a clear window for that shot. I moved a few feet to the left and went from cloudy shots to clear shots. I got a few more today but haven't downloaded them yet.

That still looks like a penguin! Years ago, I "Paint Shop Pro'd" Bigfoot into this field next to my Grandma's house. My Grandma says, "what is that"?! I don't think she was fooled by the old world renowned Bigfoot hoax photo. That was before the creators of the hoax photo came clean. Paint Shop Pro is the poorman's PhotoShop. That white house back there goes back to around 1850, it's a neat house. I once was interested in buying it until they said the price! It comes with 600 some acres unfortunately, it was over a million dollars, so I was thinking, "okay, no thanks"! Here is my Aunt and Uncle's new car in another adjoining corn field on the other side, they aren't really that good of image alterations, I'm not a pro, I never had a job for a tabloid or anything! Anyway, my Aunt says, "our car isn't over there"! lol
Then there's the Cardinal gang then the Bluejay gang and last is the Starling gang! I put out that tray of water for them, which is now frozen.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The wide open spaces were nice ?are nice? well well
I came home to this:
This is a cat laying on a spider plant
After eating it" aack!!!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Okay, where'd everybody go again?!
Anybody wanna see my evergreen bamboo, (P. Bissetii)? -
I'm suprised it's still this green, when it's really cold tho (around 0°) in my experience the leaves start falling off.
Boy, I hope the forecast for next week holds up! Their saying 60° Thursday, okay nevermind they've changed it now it says only 38° Thursday! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast They oughta be ashamed of themselves!
Here's my copper firebowl doing snow-duty! What do we have there, deer tracks?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi juhur! Eww.. the cat ATE it?! Oh well.. that's a good cat, better a cat than me eating one in my sleep!
Yeah, open spaces are cool alright.

Oh, a SpiderPlant, duh, I feel stupid, the cats here like to eat on mine too! lol

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 8:13 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How about this tale Grandma was wearing jewelry a while ago , A diamond colts pendant, you know the colts NFL I am sure some of you have heard of them. Well it has diamonds on one side and is real flat on the other, It was turned around with the flat side showing , no diamonds ,no decoration ,
So I said , why are.you wearing the commode lid toiletry pendant?
Okay knew that instant BIG Goof!!!!!
The look on her face ,
Melt through the floor
Hide Quick!!!!!
Well she only replied ;
It was in memory of the way they played last year...lol
Shoo weee I am glad she still has sense of humor!!!!LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

""Wabbit twackks"" SHHHHHHHHHHH...

Hehe! Yeah, the Colts stink, (in Kansas City)! I suppose if I lived around there I'd like them, they are usually pretty good. Altho, I'll never forget when they knocked the Chiefs out of the playoffs about 5 years ago! I know they are doing well without Peyton Manning. Now Peyton Manning is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos, (in our division) and they are in first place. Unfortunately, they are even one of the better teams in the NFL right now. They stomped the Chiefs' guts out last Sunday which is really no big surprise. But, in the Chiefs defense, they don't have near the payroll as the Denver Broncos, I think Peyton Manning (100 million dollars) makes more than all the Chiefs combined! The Chiefs are bottom dwellers, I believe they are ranked last in the whole NFL in everything, they stink. But, they better not hire as coach that freak Andy Reid from Philadelphia! I admit, I'm a fair weather fan of the Chiefs, which means I'm rarely a fan!

Maybe they are wabbits, but I've never seen wabbits here!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Behind a lot!

I dug out my arborvitaes today. They were really bent over with the wind, rain, ice and snow, but are looking almost straight now. They are the 15' tall ''Emerald'' and we do tie them together as they will splay. The jute keep rotting and breaking, so we have to do it yearly. It's worth it tho.

We had Christmas on the 26th and on the 29th we were out at DD's moving them to a farmhouse 8 minutes from their own. The new house is a two story and each boy has a small room of their own. Laughingly, there is a door that opens between them. It's really old, not fixed up much, but I really like it. We moved them till Sunday. Since then, we've been removing Christmas and putting everything away. We finished the last of the outdoor lights today. The Christmas tree is tied to a trellis in the garden and I'm on my second 25# bag of sunflower seeds. I have a lot of birds!

It's Friday and finally feeling like a regular week since all the festivities.

Have a wonderful week-end!

I'm here!! Internet went down last night so had to wait til this morning to get back on. lol.

Andy Reid was indeed hired and Scott Peoli (sp?) is out. Maybe we will do better next season. Maybe. lol. I'm rooting for the Colts this year to win Superbowl. They have the will and drive to do it thanks to their coach. I watched their game last Sunday. Great, jaw dropping game!!

Hi billyp!
Yes, they did indeed hire the man I'm afraid, you know what this means don't you? It means I'll have to put in a call. Oh well, he has a decent record I suppose and the Chefs can't do any worse. Actually, Andy Reid was one of the best of the worst to choose from. I can't believe they fired Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears, he just took them to the Super Bowl in 2007, they didn't win, but hey, it's still the Super Bowl! At least the Chefs will get a first round draft pick next year I guess! I'm glad Scott Pioli (the GM) is out too, I heard the man was a bit of a nut. I've lived in Kansas City my whole life and I'm still waiting for the Chiefs to go to the big one! Well, I was 2 when they won the Superbowl in 1969! I like our then quarterback Len Dawson, he is a fine sports anchorman on the news now!

Wow, 15' tall Arborvitaes! Good job billyp, getting them to that size, I bet they're beautiful!
A farmhouse eh?! Farmhouses are cool! I've been thru Iowa, there is a lot of farming going on there.
I used to live in a house that was originally built to house a donkey for my grandparents, even after I moved in, it still housed one, me!
My Aunt next door then, was living in a house that was originally a chicken coop. I tell you, folks don't turn down cheap rent!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 9:43 PM

Well, I had some fun tonight. I was on my way into town to meet my parents for dinner when my hood all of a sudden popped up. Luckily my truck is black and it was dark outside so it didn't scare me so much as it startled me. lol. It had locked in so I couldnt get it down and I didn't want to break it so called my brother and he came and fixed it. About the same time a cop came behind me and was able to help him get it. No damage far as I know but next time I will double check like I always do so it doesn't happen again!! My fingers were cold enough they were hurting so I was trying to hurry. lol

Eeeekk! That IS dangerous! Glad you weren't hurt! I can't imagine you were going very fast on those roads down there.

Well, I officially got done today with removing all the painted over wallpaper in the kitchen, now time to paint! -
I hooked up the Wii to our new tv today also and it said on Wii Fit that I gained 22 lbs. since I last used it 1 year ago. Why does it have to be so honest!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Nope, I was only going about 35-40 mph at that time. When I hit the first hwy I was going 55 mph. It waited til I was on a slower speed to pop up. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah cat tracks ,rabbit tracks any look that way there'
My bamboo is not big enough to tell if it is still green or not ,your are"" looking good!!!

billyp; hi there; My arborvitae never have looked good anyplace , Lots of people rent garages around here or did ten years ago..I would rather have the doghouse in the wilderness....

FOOTBALL been watching since about 1967 Bears wild card win , that was National league , American league back then.

Pepper23' Well the cold would make it where I would not smell so intensely until I could change , A real Gotcha, i could pass on...

Thanks juhur, they're slowly getting some size. I guess I'd grow slow too if I was in kitty-litter jugs! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have cleaned my share of those , pans, trays, buckets, for kitty ,, I am glad something likes it(lol Still rather cold with a foot of snow on the ground ,temps came up so did the wind , all feels the same...
Started some little plants under lights, hid the spider plant ,it has a new leaf already, it said" I'LL BE BACK"" and it will.

the Mountains, CO(Zone 4a)

Pepper,
What part of Kansas City, Missouri are you from?
I just left the city to move to the mountains about two years ago. :)

About 30 miles east.

There is 7 kitty litter buckets here in use right now. My roommate and me clean half apiece each week, last time I cleaned 4 of them. Plenty of empty kitty litter buckets to use for stuff, and they come in incredibly handy after you think a while what you need one for! People say, "oh, we don't need that empty one", I say, "oh, but we do" and then I name the use, then they pipe down!
I've got painting supplies in one, nuts and bolts in 1 (or 2..lol), sand in one, birdseed in 2, ice-melt in 2, my glorious electric painter in one, the list goes on and on, plenty of empty ones just waiting in line to be used for something! I never met an empty kitty litter bucket that I couldn't find a use for!

Like my frugal Grandfather once said, as I'm sure he marveled at all the cereal I ate as a kid, "you pay about 2 cents for the cereal and the rest for the box". The same with kitty litter buckets, the bucket is the valuable part to me! They are waterproof with the lid on, they have a handle and it's a thick plastic for goodness sake!

Oh, a foot of snow, that is dastardly!

By the way, that yellow bucket up there, that the shovel is resting on, was the eighth bucket or the end bucket (on the right end in the photo), notice how it only has one end cut out so the bamboo could theoretically run from bucket to bucket but not get out of any of them is the idea. They are having a bit of difficulty right now figuring out that it's okay to go in the other buckets.

Oh yeah juhur, that SpiderPlant will come back like gangbusters for the warm season more than likely, just let me know though if you want me to mail you another baby off of my big one if it ever gets warm enuff. Speaking of cats, they have relieved me of a lot of babies off of it, but not nearly all of them, plus I got 3 more SpiderPlants downstairs under lights where there are no plant-eating cats.

Boy, did it ever warm up nicely today! It got up to mid 50's or thereabouts! I got a plastic pot at Lowes today for $4.97, actually it was $6.97 but she rang up the smaller one, I looked at it too, but I wanted a bigger one. Anyway, I repotted one of my little ferns into a lighter pot with a handle (plastic lip) so it can be carried by somebody that I'm quite sure will likely try to carry it with one hand. I got it for my friend to take to work, she wants a plant on her desk. I'm trying to make it as trouble-free as possible for her so it stays looking alright. If the self-watering part even works a little, maybe it'll only require her to water it once a week or so. I asked her to bring it home if it looks like it's languishing, turning brown or generally looking bad. I hope it does okay with getting only those fluorescent lights from above. It was only getting the fluorscent lights here but they were about 2 inches from it's top here.
I got it about half-dead at WalMart for 50 cents about a year ago and it is doing me good so far. I got a photo of it potted into the new pot, (dark green) and the old pot, (an old clay pot that was quite heavy). -
Here is that Bamboo, you can see a little of the kitty litter buckets poking thru. -
Oh, I left out a bucket, there is 9 in there! -
Here's what's left of the ice in the backyard, by the end of the week there may be none left! You can see the sunflower seeds, (mostly shells now) all over the pavement, I just gave 2 or 3 handfuls a toss. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

It was 73 degrees here today - I'll keep my weather. Blooming today, we have Camelias, Lantana, Hibiscus, Passifloras, Salvias, Honeysuckles - and the list goes on - yep, I'll stay here in Paradise.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seems like everyone and all are having a good time today!!! Thought it was really nice here today at 42 degrees

That's right Kay "rub it in" I have some ground cover called snow ,I will "trade ya" It covers the ground where you put it really good..It thins out a little in hot weather though ,kind of like Violets and the like..

The fern will likely be just fine.....

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 9:52 PM

I see! But, how much is a gallon of gas there now?! It's $2.88 here! Give me a minute, I'll think of something else! Ok, I'll have you know that we sometimes have white Christmases!
What say you now!? Okay, I concede, the weather is nicer there year round! Wait, I thought of something else! How much does a house cost there?!

2.91 a gallon here but it'll go down in a few days. Especially since on the news they said gas prices were going up. They say jump up and gas jumps down. lol. They need to mention it more often. Maybe we can get it down to 1.99!! LOL

I got lucky on the gas! I got a $25 gift card to Shell gas stations, and the Shell gas station about 4 blocks from here is the cheapest at $2.88 a gal. Most gas stations are as high as $2.92 a gal. of gas, I don't know who they think they are fooling, gas is cheaper in the same city (Independence, Mo.) about 3 miles away!

You know, KayJones, it used to say "Independence, Missouri" beneath your id! You can take the Missourian out of Missouri but you can't take Missouri out of the Missourian!

Actually, Shortleaf, I'm from Illinois, where I KNOW what cold is - Missouri is nothing compared to a winter in Illinois! Our gas is averaging $3.20/gallon. The cost of living here in Panama City is the same as Independence, Mo. - almost lateral all the way.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You have all the rich farmers down there for the winter, so that's why your gas is higher. LOL!

Yep, we have tourists everywhere!

Illinois?! I see.. Whew, $3.20 a gallon! I asked my friend just a couple of days ago that, "I thought it was going to be $5 a gal. 2 years ago", I'm going to get a golf cart! She said they probably know the american people can't afford it! I only drive when I have to, and that's like once a week sometimes!
I heard a successful farmer can make $350,000 a year!

Nearly every household down here has a golf cart and we USE IT!

A friend of mine has a golf cart, I told him he ought to put flames or lightning bolts on it, you know, that means it's fast! I spray painted a lightning bolt on my 1994 Corolla, now it does 200 mph! See, here's the gas station up the street! I got a genuine $25 gift card to that very store I say! It's genuine too, not like the ones you steal, they don't have anything on them! I got a small car tho, I don't need gas right now, there's always hope you know, it really could go down to $1.99 a gallon! I asked, there's no expiration on cards anymore. And no, I wasn't eating cheeseburgers, I just parked there!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

It's snowing and the roads are a mess!! I'm loving it!! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf; I don't think gas prices ever will return to what once was, We have a golf cart or that runs around the houses and roads here, they are handy to have ,or should that be footie .

pepper23; Only month of the year our weather has not been the same lol enjoy the snow!!!

You people can wallow in your slush and crud - I'll keep wallowing in our snow-white sand, in sunny 80-degree weather as I listen to the ocean waves hit the shore and watch the animals begin their renewal ritual!!!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey.. Kay... it was 65 and sunny here today , I was digging melon hills and started sweating , unbelievable isn't it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.