January-Covered in snow finally!!!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Will, dogs get 'mad' - people get psssssst!!! Neither applies here, though.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, I didn't want to have to get my water cannon out!

Yeah, I heard the Missouri and Mississippi rivers were closed in places to traffic because the water was too low. Greenbrain, are you near that Chain of Rocks Bridge? That looks neat from pictures I've seen.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

How much snow did everyone get? Thick dusting here.

About the same here.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

None here so far , check back tomorrow.

I have lots of toads most years ,always moving them from in front of the mower and trying not to cut them with the string trimmer This a Red toad Breeding area ,,,

That is a question , with all the rain and melting snow .. dry river ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Clematis cuttings ,,Diffenbachia,, A little cheer

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I am close to the Chain of Rocks Bridge & have some great pics standing on it. I may have some on a DG thread. I'll have to look. The city of Madison annexed the bridge and Chouteau Island. I grew up by the Chain of Rocks Canal in Granite City & as a kid rode my bicycle over to the island crossing the canal bridge. It was quite an adventure back then. My dad use to take me & my 4 sisters fishing at the "Low Water Dam" just below the bridge. My dad caught some whopper fish back then on gumbo worms dug from his garden & homemade dough bait (Wheaties, molasses, & processed cheese). It is a very scenic place, but not as crime safe as it was years ago; esp. after dark. I'm closer now to Horseshoe Lake & spend more time there now riding the bike trails.

The toads that I brought home to my garden were collected on the Chain of Rocks Bridge. I just remembered! How funny.

The soil in the yard where I grew up & where my dad had a huge garden was black riverbottom gumbo. We lived near a levee and when the Mississippi River was at flood stage water seeped up in the backyard because the water table was so high. During a drought, the ground was rock hard & had huge cracks. We had a huge cottonwood tree growing in the front yard.

Yes, I'm a river brat & proud to have grown up in the American Bottoms. LOL

We are only getting flurries here, but the wind is blowing hard. Our cat Felix always tries to sneak out when I let the dogs out, so I purposely let him out. As I expected, he ran out into the yard, froze when he felt the cold wind & ran right back into the house!

What a cool park to have nearby as a kid. I read some about it at Wikipedia, I wonder if it's low enuff now to see the "rocks"? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_Rocks_Bridge
I found this on Horseshoe Lake, it is the second largest natural lake in Illinois after Lake Michigan it says and it's only 3 feet deep! http://dnr.state.il.us/Lands/landmgt/parks/R4/HORSESP.HTM It sounds like a really cool lake too. You have quite the attractions over there!
Bridge toads, maybe the bridge is a toad crossing! That bridge is neat the way it bends in the middle.

A lot of huge old trees, especially Cottonwoods I think, were used to moor boats on rivers back in the day. You can always tell on those big trees because they'd have worn rings around the trunk where ropes or whatever was tied around them.

Nice photos there juhur. My 2 Dieffenbachias have little tiny leaves, they aren't too happy in the garage I don't think, maybe it's too cold in there.

You are like "Tom greenbrain Sawyer"! I bet you can swim like a fish..haha, just teasing you! My Grandfather used to talk about how he swam across the Missouri River! I wouldn't try it myself, unless my car went off a bridge or something. I'd be proud too. I like living by the Missouri River.

The flurries are gone, now it's just cold here. If I was a cat I'd come back in too!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 8:05 PM

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 8:08 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Flurries ,snow cover , it got here ..

Now it can go away ... lol any time....

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

River frozen up now. (Just kidding!) LOL

As cold as it is I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't some ice on river right now. lol

Temps will get down to around zero tonight. BRRRRRRRR!!!

Yeah, this kind of cold is prolly be going to put the whammy on the TropiCanna bulbs that I planted out by the foundation, and prolly a few other things, my Coconut trees and Saguaro cactuses are probably gonna be done too! That was jokes, I don't have those! I bet there is some big ice chunks on the Missouri River, I believe they can be seen from the bridges about now.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

shortleaf, you had me fooled! LOL I was just starting to feel sorry for your non-existent plants. Of course, the others know better, right?

It looks like I'll be bundled up in layers tomorrow morning after my hot oatmeal & coffee. Good night all & stay warm. Pleasant dreams & may God bless. : )

It was a duplicate post as below, sorry, I accidently hit the "send" button twice.
Will

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 10:29 AM

Hehe.. I think you were just being humble, you weren't really fooled! I think people in Florida have even tried growing Coconut trees and couldn't. Although there might be a few Coconut tree straggler, lucky ones in places in Florida. But, I don't think a Coconut tree should ever get below 45 or 50 degrees or something like that and even Florida dips below that usually.
Florida is going to be under water when the polar ice caps melt anyway, I don't think I'd be buying a house there! lol And I think Saguaro cactuses are somewhere around Phoenix and South of there! I think I'll get a fake one and put it in the yard to fool people! Really, I don't take anyone for fools though, I'm just trying to be funny! Oh, greenbrain, I forgot to tell you thanks for the compliment on me having a green thumb. Sometimes after I go to garden centers or an arboretum I don't think my thumb is too green. You have a greenbrain!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 10:34 AM

Will, if I go down, I'm takin' you with me!

We are currently at 55 degrees - let me see - you are at 20 degrees - hmmmmmmmmmm, what say ye, Will my man?!!!!

Haha! Sure, we can do like on Titanic where what's his name is sinking down and gazing up at what's her name, only you will be sinking too, there won't be a kitchen door or whatever to float on! I'm sorry toots, your going to be sleeping with the fishes too! Oh, and the temperature, we can drive around for a long while with milk and eggs in the car!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 10:42 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Will !!! Don't forget the ice cream ?

Oh yes, and ice cream, the other day I drove around fine for hours with milk, eggs and drumsticks (ice cream, not chicken) in the trunk! But Floridians have to rush home with their booty!

No they don't, Will - we keep insulated coolers in the back of our trucks, just for that reason!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Aright !!! reefer pickups &, Suv's,,, Something new age!!! lol?

Oh, I see. But even coolers don't stay cool forever! I got a photo to show that I do indeed cover stuff up for the Winter! Here is 2 Banana 'basjoo's covered up with pots! - We should start a new Feb. thread, anybody? Here is some Daffodils poking up like their doing something, but they're not, they'll just sit there like that for awhile.

Jo, do you got you a reefer pickup or a Cadillac Escalade?! lol You seem like a Ford Escape kinda gal, maybe hybrid, not sure!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, I had an Escalade before my husband died. Now, I have a Tahoe and a Ford Ranger pickup.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

When I take eggs to Mankato on Saturday mornings, they go in coolers to keep them from freezing.
We usually let ice cream set out so we can scoop it.
All the way up to 11º right now. 70º in the house & I will be staying in tonight.

I lived 3 years in Hutchinson, Minnesota - I've been to Mankato - yep, it's COOOOOOLD!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

15°and falling here , waiting for tonight, and tomorrows snowstorm... cuss , cuss, cuss,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Our temps will be rising steadily overnight. Around 27 F right now at 8:15 PM & should be around 29 F by 3 AM. Snow flurries moving in.

Snow skipping us this round. Too bad. We need more moisture. Ground is dry already.

Hey!! We need February. I don't have any new pics though or I would do it.

This thread is closed, go here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296512/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.