What's Happening in your Neck of the Woods?Chat with friends

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm printing up my resume (5 copies) now, to take with us to the job fair - Bob already has his :-)

We have a tow truck company coming to bring Bob's truck 400 ft to our place so Richard can look at it and determine what's wrong.

Cya all later.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Best of luck Susan, here's hoping that one of you if not both of you will get hired on..

"M" don't blame you for not going in to pick one, poison ivy could be lurking around.. how are you feeling? able to start eating regular foods?

Luc from Home Depot..started at 8am - finished 5pm
got a lot accomplished..

last photo doesn't have roof on it, but before he left room was on it..now for trim/doors and shingles

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

WOW Betty .. very nice shed :-)

Susan .. good luck with the truck ..

26C here .. just took a pic of Smokey, and how HE beats the heat .. Enjoy >>>> I can see ya smiling ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - good crew you have there! Nice that Cory took the gazebo, too!!!!

Bob's truck is now at home - we couldn't reach the tow truck driver that's our neighbour, so we called a company and they only charged $42 for the hookup and deliver. Guess that's because it only needed to go 500 ft LOL
1 1/2 hours later, our neighbour/tow drive driver called us and it was done by then............
Now, to wait for Richard to get home to find out what's wrong.....

Job Fair was so-so. Not all even took resumes, and mostly it was "go to our website and apply" for the City. Two other companies took Bob's and my resumes (two each, that is). Handyman Connection took Bob's :-)

Bob the enabler, when all I needed was black embroidery thread, got me to purchase some quilt cotton remnants! He loves to window shop and get stuff for me LOL This was at FabricLand and I love their stuff, but they didn't have much embroidery floss, so ended up with chocolate brown, not black........ 5 for $1.00 so got 5 LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now don't these kitties know how to relax..lol

Speaking of kitties, my Riley leaves Friday's and doesn't come back till Monday morning..thing he cottages with someone else lol this has been going on for 2 years..starts in spring and goes till fall, either that or he gets locked in somewhere where there is a business and it closes Friday and opens Monday..

Hated to come back in after lunch - it's in the mid 20's here which means I might get a few hours of garden time in.Now we get to play catch-up from the bad weather.

Viola Ann, shaking my head ..you accomplishso much! When do you rest? is there a season you get to simply sit and enjoy your gardens?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

I was at Fabricland on Thursday, bought some outdoor fabric for a metal bench I was covering the seat for, think I have enough left for 2 pillows..everything if you were a member was 50% off..could have bought mega fabric but think I'd best use up what I have before purchasing more!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I love the combination of the black/white kitty against that ever-so-beautiful fabric. Wonderful contrast!

It's supposed to be 28 tomorrow....... yikes!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I finally found Warm & Natural - what a lovely quilt batt!! Too rich for my blood right now. $30/m reduced to $15/m....
I promise, the next time I buy batting, I will get Warm & Natural
I found the Perfect batik for my Madam Butterfly quilt, and several people (Bob included) were trying to find the perfect Butterfly fabric for it. Good thing it wasn't burgundy with butterflies, or I might have been sorely tempted..........
Not going to be making that quilt until Nov/Dec (Maybe) so not going to add to my "stash" until then!!
I Did get some black fabric with beautiful white butterflies on it - remnant - so have over a meter of it, PLUS green/gold remnant, and gold with red patterning on it remnant (very delicate red scrolling).

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'll have to see if I have anything with butterflies that I could send your way..
Yes, Warm and Natural is wonderful to quilt with but wow expensive.

Corey wasn't too excited about getting the gazebo along with the metal shed but his girlfriend wanted it so I dropped it off, when I saw him, told him if he didn't want it to let me know and I'd dismantle it..wouldn't take much to do so! He thought it might fit on his deck which is 12'x28', gazebo is 10 x 12 so should be able to anchor it there and have some shade.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh oh.........well, Corey HAD to go with what his gf wanted, of Course lol Sounds awfully large for his deck...........well, maybe not - 12' off of 28' still leaves 16'. don't imagine he would put the 12' on the 12' side of his deck - would be Very tight to do so.

Here's the butterfly fabric, and the gold & green I got today.
I like rich jewel tones of fabric, so the black & white butterfly is great! Nice contrasting type for other colours!
The green is more of a Christmas-y colour than what shows here (with gold as the pattern).
I really like these colours - next to Burgundy of course LOL

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Nice Susan! Will look in mne when I get a chance!

Actually is not like the square footage is lost, just means he would have shade.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I can appreciate Corey wanting sunshine lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another lovely day here - about 20 C and supposed to be warmer tomorrow then rain for a day or two. Shelly, one of our foster moms came over this morning to help in the garden. We got the potatoes and the lily bulbs planted and most of the front yard cleaned up. Not much left for me to do except the two front house beds and I am thinking of a revamp there so they will look messy for a while. My other garden helper also runs a small business as a consultant/designer so we are going to discuss these two beds ( which have always been a problem for me) when she comes over next week. I am thinking of removing most of the perennials and putting in a variety of interesting evergreens.

City sewer folks came by this morning to check my sewer- had a couple of burps' recently when emptying the washer but the main sewer line was clear except a bit of tree root right at the end which would be almost at the street. However because it is the old original clay pipes which bend and get very rough inside and my property slopes they recommended doing a video ( did one about 10 years ago) We do know there is a bend in the pipe about 4 feet out in front of the house and I keep my fingers crossed it does not break as it would mean trenching all the way thru my front yard on one side. Lots of bucks too!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yikes Carol - that would be Lots of bucks, for sure! Too bad it wasn't on the City property, cuz then they'd be the ones to pay........ :-(

So nice to have so many helpers to keep your lovely garden going, eh?

As I post this, it's still 18c, but feels cooler. I have 4 ferns (indoor ones) on my patio table, and need to leave them there overnight - I'm sure they'll be fine. If not, well.........someone at the church threw them out in the garbage (why, I don't know - two of them were only 6 months old.........) and I found them and rescued them. I've just soaked them and hope this revives them enough...... if not, then they were going to be thrown out anyway.......
It's supposed to be 27c tomorrow (81F!! wow!!)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, ohhh never thought about the cost of doing upgrades or repairs from property to roadside..I have quite a distance should something happen..drats, always something isn't there.

So glad you are nearing the end of the flower beds, great having friends help. Maybe that is my solution, call all my friends and have a garden day, each can take a bed and weed, wonder if they would go for that.

So much work involved when you have a lot of gardens..won't be that many years before I think of planting grass just like my kids say.

Nice weather you are all having..Right now it's about 68 and everyone out on the street is wearing shorts..what a day to be home playing!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr, and, WHOOSH .. did any of you living in the east se Dorothy and Toto fly by yet.
What a difference a day can make~~ yesterday was brilliant and warm, today it's chilly with incredible winds.
Watched a lady open her car door in a parking lot, only to have the wind grab it and send it smashing into the car next to her .. she was nice enough to leave her info on the car she accidentally damaged .. wonder if the wind blew it away ..

Lorna had a complete wchair check and repair today. She's quite happy as we're going to camp next week .. hope to catch some fish !!
This camp is apparently totally handicap accessible .. we'll see ..

Love the pics of pussers and fabric swatches .. ^_^ but, hate to hear about sewer problems .. I know that can be expensive!
Our septic field replacement several years ago was 10 thousand dollars ~~~~~~ hope we never have to do THAT again ..

So .. off to make supper ..

Toodles

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Got a call yesterday afternoon to come see the oncologist today=- not good news, apparently my tummy problems are not all food related, there is a partial blockage in my small intestine showing on the X-ray - will get better definition when the CT is done next week. So as of today I am on another chemo drug - pills this time, 3 pills twice a day for next two weeks . Lots of horrid side effects ( but no mention of bad taste so maybe that will start to improve) which of course may not happen! Surgery not an option at this point apparently.

So after I went to the day care for some hydration as I am still not drinking enough, poor nurses - took 5 pokes to find a vein. The rule now is two unsuccessful pokes and another nurse tries - so this took 3 nurses over about an hour! At my suggestion they locked the IV and left in place as I go back Thurs and Friday for more hydration and hope the IV lasts that long. Probably again next week.

I had planned to go out to a garden centre not far from the hospital but didnt finish all this until midday and then had to stop and get pills and talk with pharmacist so by that time I was too tired so I went home and slept! Poor dogs were stuck in the house all morning, good thing even at their age they all have great bladder control! Bailey and Abby get groomed tomorrow- she comes to the house and sets up in the back porch. She has been grooming Bailey since he was 2 years old.

Sorry to hear your not so good news Carol .. I hear ya on the IV starts .. have been on the nurses side and the patient side, neither is good :-(
Has a PICC line or Hickman line ever been mentioned .. I apologize as i feel you may have already told me there was a reason why they aren't using one or the other.
I wish you all the best with the meds ..
Dogs do have good bladders :-) kind of amazing after what we go through with them as puppies.

Off to put drops in Piper's ear (CALAMITY TIME)

Stay well all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh Carol, big armwraps!! There was to be only good news from here on in..thought we prayed for it to be. How overwhelming it must be for you , you are indeed a brave woman..
Just don't know what to say...

"M" are you going to camp as well? Should be fun if black flies and skitters don't get you.

Don't send bad weather my way.

Luc from Timbrr mart was here when I got home, trim is on new shed, he is trying to beat the clock to finish the roof shingles before he leaves..then has to come back to install the doors and hardware.

Can feel rain coming in so he suggested I put all my belongings that I tapped back in the shed..did, one more to do done but I'm tired.

Carol, you were just talking about sewer problems, got home, no water..township men up about 4 houses..did some repair to water main then flushed the system..thankfully I've now got water..doing happy dance because just before leaving work today had such a coughing jag that I ended up vomiting all over myself..not nice smelling so excited about being able to take a bath..must wait though as Ann is coming over for tv bingo

To end the day as well my sister called me at work to tell me mom was in the hospital, she is unsteady on her feet, can barely walk and what does she do but carry dog downstairs, fell a flight and a half, broke her arm, nose. Her dentures cut her upper palet, did something to her back..my mil also is in emerge. Oh what a day!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol & Betty - What a day you've both had!!
A blockage in your small intestine - is there surgery to fix that? My cousin's MIL had a piece of hers removed, because of blockage, but she's much older than you are, so maybe she couldn't take the wait that meds entailed.... How much water do they need you to drink?

Betty - are you and Carol related? having the City fix the water pipes before you even knew you had trouble means others were having lack of water issues.
Sounds like your cough is worse than I thought, if you're throwing up with the violence of the cough........ I know your Dr said 6 weeks. How long has it been? Couldn't you have a shower before Ann comes over?
Your poor mom - I know she shouldn't have been carrying the dog (silly woman!) but still, that's quite the fall - everyone must be so worried, she's so frail....

Marilyn - how exciting - Camping!! I don't know if we'll be able to go this year - $$ is tight.
I really hope the "wchair accessibility" is as good as Lorna needs.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Quick update..my mom is home, broken arm,nose, cut palet, black and blue, did something to her back so not mobile..my MIL is in intensive care, I would stay home tomorrow but Suzanne is spending the night at the hospital so won't be in..somebody has to man the office.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad to hear your mom is home - she must look in some state - all black & blue......... talking funny cuz of the cut palet, etc.
When Bob smashed up his face (2004) I took a picture, to show him how he shouldn't be out and about when on major codeine. He'd gotten all his teeth pulled and dentures put in same morning. I went to work, and left him with food by his side, on the couch - he went for a drive to see a friend at work, and when out walking around the truck, passed out - boy was HE black/blue, and broke new dentures....... cut lip, etc - imagine your mom looks Just As Pretty.......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, rained last night and drizzling ever so lightly but could have thunder storms later today, am sure it will do wonders for the the seeds and plants I just put in. Was out in the rain as Wednesday is big container pick-up at the restaurant next door and I had quite a bit of garbage that I did not want to put back in the shed last night, gave me the opportunity to rid myself of more..looked around the years and not ne item where it shouldn't be. Now if I can do same for craft room and storage room downstairs.. Will wait for a rainy weekend to attack those rooms. Not sure what they are calling for in your area for this long weekend but here it's suppose to be top notch weather...here is hoping they are right.

Mary, seems the last week of July kind of takes in just a few days of July..might go directly to New Orleans vs other stops which might bring us closer to a day we can meet up.id hate to be so close and not get to hug.

Suzanne called me about midnight, my MIL was holding her own so she was on her way home after a long day. Not sure if she will be in the office today but if I knew it was a guarantee that she would be I would stay home.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pressed wrong button..

Susan, I'm sure she is a mess..I should be ashamed of myself, gave her the what for when I spoke to her..what is she thinking to rich full speed ahead carrying a dog that weighs almost as much as she??? Will call her this morning and be a bit more 'gentle'!

Poor Bob, not only black and blue but cost of new dentures..

Time to get ready

Waving to all, said prayers for those in need.

Reminds me, must call Ann, 1st anniversary date and will be a hard day..she and the girls are meeting up in Barrie .

YIKES ... newsy thread this morning, and pretty much none of it 'good news'
T&P for your Mom and MiL Betty ..
Dogs and people .. guess your Mom felt the animal needed carrying .. I've been up since 2am !! Piper has/had diarrhea !! He had 'worm meds' yesterday .. must have upset him .. Gord was bathing him at 5 this morning, and I was trying to clean up .. sure hope it has stopped. Note to self .. NEXT YEAR instead of 2 pills together, will give them a day apart !! Will tell the vet that as well ..

Physio today .. then that'll be it for a week.

Both Lorna and I are going to the 'camp' .. we have our own cabin on the lakeshore .. the cabins are all geared to persons with disabilities .. so .. the bathrooms are roomy and there are ramps etc. We can go fishing on one of the Pontoon boats as well .. so .. it should be a good respite .. if it turns out well we will rebook for July and August.

Off n running

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, chilly one at that, what happened to the last three days of warm temps...brrr should have worn a jacket.

Sorry to hear Piper didn't take well to the meds..not a nice thing to have to clean first thing in the a.m. Sounds as though you are really looking forward to camp..how far of a drive do you have?? Hoping the weather warms out for you, best bring some 'woolies'

What is so aggravating to me and I know it's not nice but because the dog was diagnosed with cancer the dog is never allowed out of her arms from morning to night, even when she sleeps he's all wrapped up in bed with her..a bit much if you ask me..she is frail, falls at the best of times, not steady on her feet, losing weight like crazy due to worrying about the dog, dog is almost as big as she and there she goes carrying him down two sets of stairs..shaking my head!

I gave her the what for last night so this morning I'll call and try and be 'gentle' with her..know it was an accident but there are accidents after accidents almost every week and she will end up dead before the dog..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - poor Piper - sure the tummy was terribly upset......
Betty - no cost of new dentures - can't remember why but think they were "insured" somehow?!?!
I think your mom deserved the first shot, and I agree - time to be gentle the 2nd time. The first one came from you being scared it could have been more serious. Heck, it was serious enough!!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, Didn't have to be gentle, Jim (step father) stayed home and will do so all week..she is heavily sedated and both times I called was sleeping.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad Jim is there for this week, anyway. What did he have to say to her about her carrying that heavy cat downstairs?
Sorta glad she's heavily sedated - means she won't be getting up and doing foolish things, for awhile anyway.
hmmmmmm couldn't Jim take this time to put her ill, old, cancer-ridden cat down? And speaking of which - how did the cat fare in the fall? I know they say they have "9 lives" but he's so old and sick......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not a cat Susan, it's her snauzzer Rocky...didn't ask..reminds me I should give her a call before I call it a night!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooooops ok - dog it is :-)
I suppose your mom'll still be sleeping?

Another 'busy night' with Piper .. not quite as bad, but stilll, the poor wee fella is (forgive the pun) 'pooped;!!

Hope your Mom is recovering Betty ..

Off to the lab with Lorna for bloodwork .. then the border to pick up a parcel ..

Re the 'camp/resort/ we are going to, it's just an hour away ..southwest on Lake Shebandowan.

Am currently having an 'email sparring' match with Tim Hortons :-( FOUR times in the last 2 weeks at 2 different locations, I have been given coffee as opposed to tea .. I don't touch coffee .. by the time I realize the error .. it's impossible to go back to the franchise. Very annoying ..

Best get my tail feathers prepped and ready to go :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" lol you give it to them gal!!!

Mom is taking her meds, not moving around and in pain. Here's a photo my sister took but said it's much worse than what the photo shows..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty , yikes she sure shows her tumble. Will be sore for a bit I would bet.

Carol have you been out and about ? new meds fiddling with your tastebuds? I have been given a Fern Leaf peony by my friend! I will look at the tag again but it is a double red one. I have to read up on exactly where to plant.
I will post a photo when i get home.
Sun has been out for a bit here and weather man says clouds this pm. Had a bit of rain last night but not enough. With the long weekend coming I would bet the rain will be during Sat or Sunday.

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

OOOOH Alberta Ann, I so want one, I put adds all over ..Craigslist/Kijiji, checked with nurseries (none carry it because they say they are too expensive) couldn't even order one..lucky you..I'm so envious!!!

Look forward to seeing it..double red would be spectacular...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty check Parkland Perennials - I think they have roots for about $40.00 probably your best bet. You will not get the roots until fall.

Ann taste is the same, that does not seem to be an issue with this drug. However diarhea and nausea and vomiting are and my doc wants me to take as little Immodium as possible- so you know what will happen! I am having some nausea but can control that, mostly just feeling very weak and fatiqued.

Had hydration this morning, one more tomorrow, and went to Sunnyside afterwards and bought a fewplants but really had to drag myself around!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sorry to hear you're SO under the weather, Carol - darn meds do so much good, and yet so much discomfort.......

What pretties did you get at Sunnyside?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Carol, will check Parkland Nurseries and see when they take orders. thanks for the. Fo..am sure they mail to Ontario

sorry to hear you aren't dong well, know you likely are fed up with resting but your body is telling you it is a must! Nothing worse than feeling nauseated.

Trying to decide if I have energy to go spend 2 hrs cutting grass or simply having a bath and relaxing?? Should flip a coin

TGIF .. + LONG WEEKEND!!

Re the fern leaved peony .. I still haven't looked here in TBay .. but I do plan to .. just gorgeous ..

Betty .. oh my, your Mom is going to take a bit of time to recover from that fall .. her heart was in the right place, but, it seems she had her priorities a bit scrambled.
My Mom once got out of my car (in the 80s) it was a sports car .. 2 door .. very heavy doors .. her door fell back onto her (I didn't see it) .. and .. she said nadda .. turns out she broke a rib and had substantial bruising .. she certainly put up with a few weeks of pain.

Went to the border yesterday .. had almost forgotten I had some packages .. a dress, a pantsuit and 2 tops .. ALL in differing shades of PINK !!

Picking up my grandson for the day this morning .. it's a PD day and my son and his wife are working and big sis Brooklyn is involved in a sporting event .. he's 11 and could stay alone, but I prefer he be 'engaged' even if it is only grocery shopping with us and going for breakfast.
am attaching a pic of him and our son Murray (Austin's Dad) and the instructor from the rifle club Austin shoots at every Wednesday .. he came in third from a field of 15 .. they learn proper firearm handling, safety and respect .. gotta love his shoe laces !!!

BEst get myself ready

TTFN

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

"m" Austin is adorable, and yes great that they learn respect of guns and proper safety of use..both Noah and Kyle got their permit and are learning use. I still don't like it though. Lol. Enjoy your day with Austin

Ohh some pretties in pink, you'll blend in when in the gardens.

If by chance you come across a source for peony ferns in Ontario, can you let me know??until we get one the girls will have to post photos of theirs growing and blooming!

Mom and Jim were to go to the cottage today for a week..Jim wanted all the outdoor work behind him but likely they will not be able to go.

Working from home today so can put laptop and telephone outside. Under gazebo and work some gardens..overcast right now, had sunshine a few minutes ago so hooe it comes back out as I'm in gardening garb

4 days to play and a trip to Racetrack Saturday evening should make me good and tired by Monday night..wrote a to do list and if I get to cross everything off I'll do the happy dance. My family are heading camping with about 30 others in Sable Beach and will leave this morning..grandma Betty gets to mind the monstrous dogs. So fun weekend for all, way it should be!!

I want weedless gardens and topsoil added with some nutrition, shed stained, window inserts cut and base coated ready to paint design, secondary pond leveled and water falls unit set in..anything extra would be a bonus.

Now what do you all have planned, something more exciting than what I'm up to!
Hope it's sunshine and warm temps in your neighborhood

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.