What's Happening in your Neck of the Woods?Chat with friends

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty you could check thru the Canadian suppliers on the Cdn Peony Society web site (http://www.peony.ca/e_html/home.htm) to check for availability and prices - these would all ship in the fall.

Dont forget it is Fernleaf Peony ( Not peony fern) and proper name is Peony tenuifolia.

I think Parkland is best bet for good price. and you can place an order any time now. They were selling for $75 at SUnnyside yesterday and that is typical.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

wow - what a price for a Fernleaf Peony! Well, if it's what you want, it's worth it, right ladies? (VBGrin)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh Carol now I'm confused, which one were we talking about getting!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

siiiiiiiigh well, just found out that Bob's benefits are done........
At least he's doing some work for friends. He's over at Kay's house, finishing the skirting on her mobile, then will do roofs and windows. He's also going to paint her skirting, as it's new material.
I got a call from an agency that found my resume on Monster.ca (job search website), and I have been getting a few "hits" and calls from it. No one's calling me in for an interview though........

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Guys
Cute grandson!

I finally read the tag and it says " Japanese fernleaf peony, with a size of 16"x24" so it maybe the dwarf one? It also said double. It is in a one gallon pot and was a gift so I don't know what it cost. Yes I consider myself very lucky to have such generous friends!
Carol, I rmember yours being taller , I think. We will see how well it does in my yard, I will plan carefuly and will be double checking to make sure it goes in the right spot.

We seem to be having the clouds break up this afternoon and the sun is trying to get through so maybe the weekend is looking up after all.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty you said Peony fern so I wanted to be sure you got the name right.

Ann mine is about 24 inches tall.

This message was edited May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'll have to see what the difference in the two are..off to town

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Went to 2 Greenhouses yesterday, both just smiled and replied in the negative as to whether or not they sold 'Fern leafed peonies' .. both said they were far too expensive, BUT .. were I wanting to order one, they might be able to help me out.
I chose a Amber Jubilee Nine Bark instead, and, as my grandson is a HUGE fan of roses, I bought him a beautiful rose bush that he'll plant with his parents.

'Bugs Bugs Bugs, if I had them all in JUGS, I'd dig dig dig a BIG BIG hole, and bury up them bugs"!!!
I used to sing that little song to my son when we were camping and the flies were bad .. WELL .. I;m now singing it to the dogs and my grandson, because the BLACK FLIES are horrendous !!!!
They can sure ruin a perfectly nice afternoon outside ...
Have Gord getting some WATKINS bug lotion .. it works very well .. only available at our 'country market' on Saturday mornings.

Trying to tie up loose ends before BLAST OFF to camp on Monday around 1pm .. check in time is 2pm .. this is certainly going to be an adventure .. will have my BlackBerry with me so will post off and on as I can ..

Off to make some tea ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Get about the same response here a the nurseries "M"!

Not many bugs out here as yet, skitters likely soon, now that I've said this I'm just waiting for 8:30 for the dampness to lift and out to paint the shed I just had put up, watch them eat me alive.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at camp and will make it a yearly trip. Lol at the blackberry, should tell you lke they do the kids, no electronics, now wouldn't that be something..they would have few visitors.

Sunshine day high 70 to low 80 so grat day to be outside..going with Darlene at 4:30 to Georgian downs for supper and slots/races..they will not get a lot of my $$ not a gambler, saving it for nurseries...

Time to get my tools together
Back on a break

Enjoy the sunshine everyone!

LoL Betty ..
Lorna's were at Georgian Downs yesterday .. didn't win
Her Dad is a real better, have a bet going with him for the Preakness today .. I have picked a horse called 'Went the Day well' .. a whole TOONIE LoL (last of the bigtime spenders huh?) He has picked "I'll have ANother" .. he won the Kentucky Derby ..

Off to plant the Amber Jubilee .. will have a pic maybe :-)
Depends on the bugs ~~~

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ahh woulnt it have been nice to have met up with them had we been there same day!

Not a gambler, kept it to $2.00 bets for horses and lost $25.00 on slots, then buffet which was spectacular seeing as we had tables on inside facing the track.

Darlene has a mustang convertible, we left an hour earlier than need be and did a run to Georgian Downs taking all the back roads, nice in the heat of the day! Boy the police were out in droves looking for party'ers

Managed to stain front and I side of shed except the trim..tomorrow morning I'll do other side and start the trim. Big job but Ned's to be done!

Falling asleep so calling it a day
Night/night

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn busy planting, and Betty busy staining the shed - looking for pictures from both of you.......
Betty - did you have to lose any plants over the shed being taken out/put in?

BIG thunder and lightning storm here overnight. Poor Piper .. he wants to be held when they pass through .. Lilly really doesn't seem to care one way or the other ..
Temps of 28C yesterday .. today MAYBE 18C

Got the Nine Bark planted and did take pics, just have to download them .. looks nice .. won't see it's full beauty till next year though.
Irises are opening, Bleeding heart is blooming .. just a little watering and things start to flourish.

Lorna's Dads horse won the Preakness .. far as i know, the one I chose is still running LoL
Sounds as though you had an awesome time yesterday Betty.

Still trying to 'get it all together' for tomorrow .. good thing I have an SUV !!!

Off to make tea

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mornimg, sunshine,sunshine,sunshine..suppose to be mid 80's today..with Greg and family in Sable Beach for the weekend grandma is doing the dog sitting thing, running over to let out and feed the doggies...that is behind me for the morning

Watered the gardens, everything is so dry..if we soon don't get rain grass will be hay.

Wish my neighbors were early risers, I'd have the lawnmower going but have to wait, so back to stain more of the shed..won't be long and I can start the white trim

"M" so you lost $2.00. Lol. Last of the big time gamblers we are..sure hooe your week is all you both want it to be!

Carol, how are you feeling today?

While I was betting I'm thinking there goes a lilac tree, there goes a snowball tree. Lol. How sad is that!

Susan, a dappled willow got the worse of things..likely will come back but not this year..what can you do

Well, here is hoping you all have sunshine in your neck of the woods

Better get a iMovie on or the couch will zap all of what is left of my energy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

HI folks,

Too hot to work outside. I did a bit - washed my car and put the hose on part of the garden. Still 30 degrees at 7:30. And I was gonna do stuff.

Been MIA for awhile. Had a bunch of things to do last week and will be busy this week before I head to Rochester for the International Viola Congress on the 29th.

Carol - I hope you don't have to be on the med that doesn't agree with you well for too long.

Betty I'm sorry about your mother's fall. I hope her recuperation is smooth.

I think I'm gonna head to the basement and stuff CVS Journals into envelopes. I'm trying to determine how many people are going to the Congress and I'll just take them instead of mailing, but they are slow at responding to messages. And I might practice a bit downstairs. Sure need to do that. Have a friend who wants me to play at her wedding but it's waiting on his divorce to come through. But it could come through soon now and they are going to city hall. It will have to be unaccompanied; so no piano to hide behind.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is quite an honor Viola Ann..I'm sure there is no need to hide behind a piano!

Not sure about your grass but after no rain and the heat a lot of my grass needs tending to, burning already!

Your trip to Rocester takes you how long? Where do you cross over?

Basements are always cool..have portable air system, might connect it tomorrow if they show same heat for the week.

Got to tell you, I sure put in 3 long days outside..actually I was filling a pond and it seemed to take forever..put my head on the settee and dozed..thought it was 12:30 or so, checked the clock when I woke, just after 2 so must have dozed longer than I thought I did.

Might do a bit of weeding in the am and white trim at least on the front of the shed then sit..actually looking forward to rest at work Tuesday!

Isn't that sad

" m" you packed! Bet you are both as anxious as little kids

Carol, sure hope you are fine and just busy and not I'll

Susan, get those cushions done

Lindy, wondering I'd you are ok?
Waving to all others

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow Marilyn & ViolaAnn - Hot, Hot, Hot!! 28c & 30c........... yikers - no wonder gardens need extra waterings!!

ViolaAnn - how lovely to play at a wedding! (and no backup piano?!?!)

Betty - I took 12 foam pieces and 12 pieces of fabric cut to wrap around them, to handsew these cushions at church. One of the church ladies offered to help me - turns out she wanted to bring them home, and do most of the work on her serger!! She is a seamstress, so has the equipment - I was thrilled! I don't have a serger, so I guess it will work better? No idea, but I'm confident about it. I will take more next week, and she says she'll do them, too!!
Sorry you lost one of your dappled willows

~M~ nice you got your Nine Bark planted - still want to see pics of this tree/shrub? I've never seen one before......

Carol - how are you today? Eating well, I hope.......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not good folks. Still not able to eat or drink although I am trying crystlelight and that is going down a bit better, food is still yucky!

But with this new med which supposedly I t ake for two weeks I am really miserable.- diarhhea although not too bad nausea, not much vomiting but mainly just fatique and weakness. So mainly I am just lying around! I will call my nurse on Tuesday and let her know what is going on. Too bad it is a long weekend but I am not so bad I want to call the oncologist on call.

Nice weather to have been out in the garden but it is impossible at the moment.

MY neighbor Marie came by this evening and washed the sinkful of dirty dishes. We have a system where I leave the porch door unlocked and the inner house door locked if I am lying down and there is a key hidden in the porch which 2-3 of my neighbors know about so if they need to get into the house or if I need to call for some help they can get in.

Off to bed now!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - so sorry you're feeling so Yucky! You're just having crystlelight? That's only a drink. I hope you're saying that food is yucky, but that you're still eating? I hope your nurse can help with something so you feel like eating, and not so miserable!!!
Sorry you can't be enjoying this lovely weather we're having (supposed to rain on Wed), but I can understand that you just want to rest. Suppose that's best for you when you're feeling so miserable.
You have Great neighbours!

Up and at'em .. seems we have lists everywhere .. now we just have to PACK THE VEHICLE !!! Ought to be somewhat of a 'Magicians trick'.

Furnace was on last night, so, our heat has gone and more seasonable temps are expected .. bringing 3 or 4 card games along with us just in case.

Carol .. have you tried any of the 'electrolyte' types of drinks .. I think pedialyte comes in flavours ..

ViAnn .. I know you'll do well at the wedding .. and safe travels to Rochester.

Betty ... good luck with shed, hope you and your visiting pups can enjoy some R&R today ..

Susan, lucky you re the serger and the cushions, will make it so much easier :-)

I'm off

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Have a great trip, Marilyn!!!! I'll just bet you'll have a terrific time :-)

I'll take another dozen cushions to church next Sunday as she said she'd do more

Made it. No fish yet, tomorrow is another day. :-)

Ttfn

M

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad you made it safely, Marilyn! Fish? you're fishing? I musta missed something......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening, ready for bed! Susan, " M" and Lorna are off to camp this week..lots of fishing and hopefully few black flies and skitters.

You've been planning this trip "M" for weeks now, what did you miss bringing, sure you left something behind...maybe the bait and that is why no fish. Lol

carol, did you have a better day today?

Yawning so best I call this long weekend over!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, I knew they were camping - didn't think about fishing for some reason. Bob & I either go camping OR fishing lol
Where we camp there's no fishing to be had (shallow creek - only minnows!), and where we fish is only 2 hours from Calgary - no tenting with power to be had (at my age, I want light, and power - can do without heat and just use coats and more blankets!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilyn I have tried almost everything you can think of. The electrolyte drinks make me throw up they are too sweet - I am still looking for one not flavored. Food has similar effect. I did manage a banana and some tomato soup today but really feeling miserable. Two neighbors came by and walked the dogs, put out the garbage bins for tomorrow and watered the pots and plants waiting to go in the ground.

Tomorrow I will talk with one of the nurses and see if I can get off this new med.Unfortunately it has been a long weekend I could of course call and talk with the oncologist on call but I decided to wait.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I rather wish you Had spoken with the oncologist. No point being brave and miserable.....
I hope they have a med that works for you And allows you to eat.....
At least a banana and tomato soup is good. s'funny - we had tomato soup and cucumber sandwiches.
Are you able to eat cucumbers?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, if you wake and still feeling the same I would opt for the oncologist!
Thank goodness you have neighbors keeping an eye on you and helping out where they can. Sending hugs

Rained during the night , saying we could have more showers today, gardens are doing the happy dance!

Will be nice going to work for a rest..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just waiting for the triage nurse to call me.
Shelly(foster home) is going to come today and take Abby for a couple of weeks. Sassy is due to have dental surgery on Thurs and then will go to another foster home for a couple of weeks to give me a break- just Bailey and I then. I have a CT scan on Thurs and bone scan on Friday .

Victoria Harbour, ON

Let's hope Carol they rush you in for quick check-up..Thursday is a long time to wait for some answers and also to start feeling better.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - if I could take this from you, I would...... or even a portion of it to make you feel better, like eating and split the treatments/appointments..... I know that I don't know what you're going through, but I know you must be very tired and miserable......

Rain,rain go away. Woke up to rain and have had it all day. Fogot our rain gear,so have been playing cards and watching movies.
No fishing today

Carol perhaps if you dilute the sweet stuff?

Internet to is wonkie. Best get off

M

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We have rain now & we love it!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M I do dilute things - not m uch help!

Talked with nurses this am, went in for another hydration and had another long chat. Can go back on the Immodium to stop the diarhea and not take the new chemo pills for at least one week to give my body a break then back in next Monday to see Doc. Nurse thinks part of issue is I didnt really have a break between the IV chemo and the new drug.Also getting a prescription to try to clean up my mouth- I have a thick yucky mess on my tongue which probably does not help taste much. Also she had palliative care home care nurse come to talk and somebody will come to the house to do an evaluation later this week.( I dont need palliative care at the moment but my cancer is basically uncurable now so that is why we are going that route) The alternative to these chemo pills is IV chemo, once every 3 weeks. Sounds a lot better to me!

Sassy's dental surgery is put off for 2 weeks as the meds have not changed her T4 levels, we will double the dose and she will go off for her vacation and then the surgery will be done. Abby has gone this morning to stay with foster mom Shelly and 3 other shelties.

I dont think I told you Joan and I went to visit a sheltie breeder who is one of our supporters and has a new litter of pups - they are 8 weeks old now, all blue merles so we had to go and help with the socialization!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi Carol - called you, and Know you're not out in your garden in This Rain, but maybe you're having dinner, or resting? Take care, and glad you're getting a "break" from your new meds. Your body needs to rest obviously.....

8 puppies! awwww I've never seen Sheltie pups - bet they're cute as the dickens! Blue Merles.....think that's what our neighbour has - called Angel. Sweet, shy dog - they've had her for 1 1/2 years now. Not quite as nervous around people as she used to be, but still..... keeps her distance :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan thanks for calling - I just have not felt like talking to anyone.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I may not know what you're going through, but I can appreciate you not wanting to talk to anyone......
Carol - if you ever want to talk, I'm here for you. I still have a bit of my cough (pretty sure my cold is done with, but don't want to take the chance with you......), and am making sure I don't come to see you, as much as I'd like to.....
How do you manage when you go out to these public places?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, sunshine day in this neighborhood..hoping you are all having the same..

Gardens are growing, all greenery though, hard to believe that in 2 or 3 weeks we should have flowers..here's hoping!

Carol, nothing worse than trying to be sociable when you feel terrible..hope today is a better day for you! Sending prayers along with the hugs.

"M" hope you are able to get outside and enjoy today. Wanted to listen to Breakfast Television this morning to see what kind of weather you are waking up to but had so much to no never got the chance.

All alone am I..isn't that a song lol
Just me in the office with nothing to do so brought in a wood panel to sketch and paint for one of the faux windows for the shed..that SHOULD keep me out of mischief

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

keep you out of mischief? YOU Betty? LOL I pray that you will always be able to keep busy - better than the "opposite" right?

Sad to say we have had rain everyday since we got here:-(
We did get out to fish for a couple oh hours yesterday, but, so windy.. No fish and gazillion of blacklist, happily there are tons of movies to watch.Leave tomorrow.. Miss the furries

Take care all

M

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.