What's Happening in your Neck of the Woods?Chat with friends

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" glad you are none the worse for wear and tear..before you know it you'll be thinking now that was an easy fix..
lordy "M" don't know how the caller finds the numbers that we don't have to call..terrible/terrible cards..before bingo starts each week we pick what we will spend our dollars on..Ann is a walkway made of stone near her house, mine is riding lawnmower..that was last year and this year..does look like in the fall when the riders go on sale I'll buy my own..lol

which reminds me, they are coming to build a shed next week, should include as an extra a ramp so when I do buy one I'll have entry into the shed.

Possible rain today but Saturday and Sunday has light chance of rain and in the 60's..thank goodness because
the boys who come each year to celebrate Mom and do her 'to do' list will be working midnight oil..old shed has to come down, old gazebo has to come down, new gazebo up, some deck furniture to be put together and about 10 - 15 minute jobs..lol I'll treat them to chinese

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I suppose the old sheds aren't "saveable" to send to Habitat For Humanity's use?
Won't it be lovely to show off your new garden when the ladies come to your home at the end of June!!
I will really need to get used to Skype before then. I found that the only $$ needed to pay for is if you use a Land Line, not the computer. Computer skyping is free......... That's as far as I've gotten. Now, to get a microphone........ have speakers.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, truly amazing around my neck of the woods, even things in almost perfect condition you can't get rid of unless you were to take down and deliver. Even Habitat for Humanity are very picky sooo demolished it will be.the new shed is only being built because as I age I'm in no mood to go out in 5' of snow and get rid of the snow from the metal roof so it doesn't cave in..not going to happen so time to replace now..just coincides with the gathering.

Get your Skype working girl!!! lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol get my Skype working, eh? LOL Well, guess I'm just gonna have to do that...... but first I need a Microphone!!

When I worked for HFH I had to schedule pickups and value the items sight-unseen. It was "interesting" to say the least. People weren't happy with us not picking up appliances older than 5 years, nor windows older than 10 years. But if we did (and the drivers had the last say cuz they were Seeing the items) we may just have had to pitch them in the dumpster. Some would "build up"their items when they phoned to sound better than they were just to get them taken away for free......... and would toss garbage in with the good stuff - again, so save themselves the Dump fee.... or because they don't have a vehicle to take it away.
Sometimes we'd come to work and find that garbage had been dumped at our loading dock because they thought we could sell it?!?!?! I've truly seen some pretty awful stuff being dumped off........

Victoria Harbour, ON

shed is in good shape..it's in the background

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

How pretty is that? The "old shed" looks in great condition, but I can appreciate you not wanting to shovel snow off it in the winter!
OH, and that Garden....... siiiiiiiigh would love to be there right now, sipping a cappaciano and reading a good book from my e-reader, enjoying the sunshine...... :-) such pretty flowers!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well it is all over - until the next time! Crossfingers it will be years not months!

Oncologist came to have chat after his nurse talked with him yesterday. He too thinks the abdominal issues re food related but just in case ordered some X-rays since it is 2 weeks until my CT scan. They also gave me a litre of fluid because I was getting dehydrated and if I continue not to be able to drink much am to call every week and go in and get some IV. Could have done that before but just did not think about it. She wanted him to look at my tongue in case I had developed a yeast infection. He looked and said it looked like a typical chemotherapy tongue!

Oddly enough my mouth is much better at the moment and I ate a decent supper - so I guess one of the drugs they give me - 5 altogether counting the chemo- has some effect and wish I could figure out which one it is!

Cold front is passing thru and there has been a bit of rain with more rain predicted for tomorrow. Did not get the potatoes in today, just puttered around between morning naps.My cleaner comes tomorrow and so it will be a laundry day =- time too!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, nice to have the Chemo over with! I too hope it's Years, not months!
lol are you "typical" Carol?
Glad you were able to eat a decent meal - first time in many months...... Would be nice if you Could tell them which one. Would they have an idea from others having mentioned it?

I heard it's supposed to be rain mixed with snow here - up to 5 cm......

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Super News!! My fingers and toes are crossed. Good thing too with gardening coming on strong shortly. You will be able to spend all the extra time you will now have outside instead of getting better.
Maybe stuff tastes bad when you are dehydrated? Anyway isn't it the way that stuff is all done and you have finally figured out what works best.
"M" you too sound more perky.
Susan , skype isn't all it's cracked up to be. Can be fun and a pain all at once.
Betty hope you find a taker for the shed.

Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Ann - about Skype - that's one reason I haven't been using it, cuz I didn't think it was "all it's cracked up to be", but I know a # of people who use it and are pleased with it. I suppose it all depends on your operating system, the amount of speed you can get on it and the quality of the mic and headphone. Also, other conflicting programs that would interfere would be problematic, too......

Anyway, going to try it, if only for the ability to see all the people at Betty's at the end of June :-)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Great news Carol .. and am hoping YEAR of NO CHEMO are involved :-)

I just learned how to SKYPE, and, how to make myself INVISIBLE if I have Skype turned on for one person and do not wish to interact with others on my list .. don't use it all that often though.

Woke up at 1am .. thoght the clock said 7am !!! Dang me, once I got everything back into perspective it took me til almost 3am to go back to sleep .. so .. I am up early today.
Vet day for Piper and Lilly .. shots and check ups ..

My jaw feels like someone slugged me .. and the extraction area is swollen .. been rinsing with warm salt water frequently, this too shall pass.

Peonies are up about 3" as is the Bleeding Heart .. sprinkled some of that Deer Scram on the Lilies in hopes of fending off hungry deer.
This year Hibiscus is Pale Yellow with a Scarlet red centre .. re potted it yesterday .. it'll only go out on warmwr days and in fulll sun ..

Nurses Week luncheon today .. I'll just go for a 'how dee doo' and a cup of warm tea .. strictly Cheerios or yogurt for me for a bit.

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm with "M" Carol, here's hoping it was the last of Chemo for you for forever!!!

Can't believe the weather you guys have..love to visit you all but sure will never move to your neck of the woods..I thought my winters/spring was bad enough..yikes you hardly get summer..lol

"M" even getting out to enjoy a few hours will make you feel better.

Alberta Ann, sorry, NO takers for the shed..thank goodness next week is big object pick up

Busy this morning..Trustee's coming in so got to get some files in order..
gab after..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Of the food thing will continue for a while - just all; the 'extra' drugs, one of them has some depressive effect- I had a frozen Michalenas macaroni,beef and tomato which I love - sometimes make my own but never can find a receipe I really love. They use to service it in the cafeteria at Boston Childrens - back in the 60s this is and I aways loved it!

Had a good nights sleep - the drugs still affecting me. Dogs woke me at 6, put them out and feed, back to sleepl Bailey woke me at 7 and I told him to shut up for the next 5 minutes are so and he did ( or I just went back to sleep and couldn't hear him) and woke up again at 830! All quite. Could have gone back to sleep but my cleaner was coming at 9 so dragged myself out!

Sunny but cold, apparently the rain/snow mixed passed us by. Today will be laundry and naps and getting a memory box finished for a Toronto friend who is in town - she goes home Sunday so I better get on it today- I have the poem and dog pic ready and know the color scheme but just have not been able to push myself to finish it. I have another half done for a neighbor but at least there is not the same deadline there.

Maybe I might get the potatoes in but maybe not! There is always tomorrow!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaaaaay - snow passed us by!! (grin)

Good to hear you had NO snow in Calgary .. we had awesome warm and sunny weather here ..

I SEEMED 'hell bent for election' this morning, but, petered out quite quickly .. in fact, I put what I had out for supper in the slowcooker .. then I actually LOOKED at the calendar and relaized the dogs go to the vet FRIDAY not today .. as everyone was out doing yardwork, I tucked myself back in bed for 2 hours!! Guess anesthetics and me do not mix ..

I did get some tomato seeds planted, and am curious as to how they'll come along. The seeds are in a 'disc' of fabric .. you plant the disc and see what happens (in a perfect world) .. I did 5 10" pots .. letcha know ..

Betty were I closer I'd take that shed in a heart beat .. gotta hate distance !!!

Off to swish some salt water ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - glad you Started okay today...... but you obviously need more rest.
Are you able to eat "normally" yet?

Had rice for supper .. have quite the 'cavern' where that wisdom tooth was .. so I'm being extra careful .. there's also a buncha sutures in there .. BLEAH !!!!

An adventure to be sure

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M anaesthetics can affect you for some time so do be careful to let your body rest/sleep the off.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wish you did as well "M". Just hate to throw it away but oh well..

Gee whiz you've done great but I do think you've done more than you should.

It was a sunshine day here but the wind is strong enough to blow us away..wanted to burn in firepit today but no can do.

Stopped at the nursery on my way ome, my downfall. Lol. A larger type mock orange and a Japanese Kierie came home with me, got them planted, yikes Kierie has thorns just like roses, not like my other one, let out a big ouch, well maybe ouch wasn't the word...

Wonder what happened to Lindy?? Hope not sick

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have any of you heard about the Abiquiu drinking gourd. Cup like leaf and blue?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

nope, never have..... will google it, though!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Meant to say it's a hosta

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It's beautiful, Betty! I especially love the blue tinged one!

I have wondered re Lindy as well .. as you say Betty, hope she's doing OK.

Very pretty Hosta .. I am trying hard to 'perennialize' the property .. the annuals here are an atrocious price ..
Have yet to go and look at/for the Nine barks .. and a Snowball bush. My BIG purchase this year will likely be a Colorado Blue Spruce to replace the Weeping Birch that died.
The trees in our area (over a 400 mile swath) became 'stressed' due to early warm temps in Feb/March, and then a deep freeze :-( as a result, most, if not all the Spruce, and some apple trees, are losing their foliage.
It will grow back, less full .. NEXT YEAR .. but .. to see them right now is almost painful .. brown or browning ... if I can find an article I'll send it along. Perhaps take a pic of some of the ones on the property ..

SO .. right now I feel I am going to be better than yesterday .. the dogs need to go to the vet .. and I have several things to accomplish in town with them along .. I'll drive and Lorna can babysit BOUNCING PIPER .. Lilly is quite sedate in the car.

TGIF ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" fruit growers in Collingwood/Meaford way say if lucky they will save 25% of their crops, rest damaged by extremely mild temps then heavy frost..Niagara region is also worrying, not sure how their grape crop will do.

Was in town for dr. Appointment early this mornimg and quick run to hospital..everywhere you go they have Mother's day baskets, shrubs and PerrenialsPreserv out..right now it's shrubs, all my baskets and p,angers I will wait until first week of June just incase but they are lovely to look at.

Did buy a blue cup gourd hosta, another lilac tree and 2 clematis..I do poorly. With clematis but I'm not giving up..yesterday got the larger mock orange that is highly scented and a Japanese Kerrie, has a few blooms already..gardening is not cheap is it!! Every week that is where my allowance goes.

Timbrr mart just delivered the fixings for back shed..young man Luc asked seeing as his mother and grandma are away could he come Sunday and start putting the shed together. Alright by me. Lol. My crew come tomorrow for the work day so Sunday it will give me something to do..

Had the work phones transferred to me at home at 11:30 so only missed 3 hrs. Shift finishes at 3:00 so I'll then be free to get the grass cut.

It's absolutely gorgeous here today..if only it will stay the same all weekend.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Doing the happy dance here..

Young Corey across the street wanted the shed..he came over this afternoon and took all screws from base and had it ready for when his friends spot off work. They used long timber they had delivered from Timbrr Mart underneath for support and carrying purposes and voila, Corey is as happy as can be, he now has a shed that will take little to fix..ME thrilled to see I didn't have to trash it and my BOYS I think they will be thrilled that it's one major thing on their list they will not have to do. Lol. So everyone is happy!!

Now if only I could have talked them into taking the gazebo..would have made my day..likely won't take long to take down tomorrow.

Cooked spaghetti sauce for tomorrow which means I'll have an easy day of it.

But tonight, rather tired

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yay, yay, yay to get your shed GONE, Betty!!!
I can well imagine that your Boys will be happy - one less thing to do!!
You could always send the Gazebo to me? Shipping wouldn't be that much............ ROFL!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Would if I could Susan..

Don't you feel great when you accomplish a lot outside? But tired I am..bath calling
Hope you all had a bit of sunshine in your neighborhood today!!

Whoosh .. quite the day ..
Have some pics of the trees I have been telling you are in a swath across about 4oo miles of NW Ontario .. the ones here are on our property .. we are certainly seeing the effects ..

Went to the cemetery and cleaned up my parents plot/headstone .. put down good topsoil and (fingers crossed) planted the Lavatera tapes .. if they come up too quickly and we catch a frost .. well .. I'll be disappointed to say the least.

Lorna got 4 acres cut today and Gord planted a rose bush and some SMALL blue spruce .. we will be getting a FULL sized Colorado Blue Spruce to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary (today) .. have to find the best tree and the best deal .. well over $150. !!
Not much of a celebration as I am still dealing with the extraction issue .. sutures are plain nasty !!

So .. one pic is of Piper sleeping in his bed in front of this years Hibiscus .. the other 2 pics show the browning trees .. needles are falling quickly :-(

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy anniversary "M".. What a great anniversary gift!! Sad to see so much damage..few years ago something hit the cedars..one neighbor lost about 8-20 ft's

Maybe you can celebrate next weekend and will be feeling better.

Had quite a day, sunshine for better part of the day then 40 drops of rain.

Everyone spent the day here helping mom/grandma do her list of chores..tin shed removed, now across the street at a neighbors, old gazebo the same, new gazebo up..some garden work done..

Jeff bought me additional screening for gazebo and Greg about 40 plants, mostly. Perennials.

Tomorrow morning they have about another hour of work and my list completely done.
We ate supper, now watching movies..doing the family thing..got to love get togethers

Young man from Timbrr mart comes at 8am providing is doesn't rain to start the shed

All and all a family day and a productive day..now why can't mothers day be more than once a year.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Went to our friend Helen's memorial today - Bob & I were in the choir, and one of the previous choir member (also a friend of Peter & Helen's). Their daughter, SIL and gd got up and spoke about her. Our pastor did as well.
These were wonderful stories they told about her, from their perspective.
We all got memorial bulletins with a picture of her at about 19/20 or so. What a beauty! She was only 72 when she passed, this week......

I imagine it's going to be difficult for the family - "celebrating" mother's day tomorrow.......... and the "mother" of them all is away, in the Lord's home...........

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I've been MIA of late, but have just done a skim.Susan, I'm sorry about your friend and 72 seems younger every year.

Been busy working in the garden when it's not raining and last week was occupied with the bells. We played in church a week ago and then participated in an evening concert, taking the bells to the other church about 3 and starting short rehearsals in that space at 4:30. Our season is now DONE except for one more session of taking them apart and polishing the bells - we did 26 bells last week, including the tiny, fiddly ones. Have 30 to do this week and we will be done except for our party.

Wishing a Happy Mothers' Day to all to whom it applies.

Happy Mother's day from me as well ..

Supposedly going to be 25C here today .. have the AC set to rock and roll. Expecting the family a bit later ..

Susan, sounds as though your friend had a nice service .. and, no, Mother's Day is not really as joyful as it should be when your own Mom is gone, but, she is never far from my thoughts ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Mothers Day everyone

Got to say this weekend has far exceeded my Mother's Day wish..am sure my boys are glad it only comes once a year..NOT ONE THING went undone..thrilled to pieces..

While TimbrrMart Luc continues to work on the shed I will plant all the flowers I was given for mothers day.

My biggest pressie was having Ann come over, emotions boiling over as its Mike's 1st year death anniversary, had projects she wanted to do so that her day would go by, wanted instructions on use of the drill..Jeff my youngest went over and spent 2 hrs, put her shelves up, curtain rod and put together a cupboard.. You know you have done something right when they do such things.

Came home and finished the last of my chores and off to the city he went...

I telephoned Ann to invite her for supper, omg she was crying so much, said Jeff made her day..drats she had me crying..

Hope your day brought you as much joy..off to help shed man LUC who is a doll..said he will do a few more projects for me this week!

This message was edited May 13, 2012 5:00 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hmmmmmm Betty - Luc is a "doll" eh? hmmmmmmmm lol

Happy Mother's Day to all. I think our pastor said it best when he lit a candle for all the mothers on earth, and another one for all the mothers in Heaven....

All the ladies at the church (including yours truly) got a long stem red rose this morning.(with the little 'water bottle' on the end of the stem.
I just got off the phone with my mom :-)
My daughter sent me an email picture of a nursing dog - with 4 Kittens! LOL She knew I'd be at church today, so she'll call later she said.

I need to go - cya later

Ahhhhhhhhhhh .. life has settled down to a dull roar LoL
Actually, the wind here today was gusting up to 70kph .. couldn't really sit outside .

Betty, Jeff is wonderful .. Ann must be so pleased and you so proud, sometimes our kids do do suprisingly amazing things ..

Flowers and bird feeders were the order of the day as gifts and I am so pleased .. actually, just seeing everyone would have been enough for me.

OK .. question .. there is a beautiful wee white flower growing in the ditches out this way .. has a yellow centre .. looks like a Daisy crossed with an aster .. someone (thanks Brenda) has suggested 'blood root' .. I am attaching 2 pics for your consideration ..
I know for sure it isn't Trillium or wild strawberry.

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I couldn't really see the leaves on your flower, Marilyn, but here is a picture of the Bloodroot, for your comparison.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" from the photo that Susan posted not sure it's blood root, entirely different leaf from the looks of it could be wrong!

Omg think I'm dying from the coughing/hacking..should have gone to town for cough syrop..anybody want what some call 100 day cough, willing to share..

Was in the 20's today, no wind..perfect outdoor working weather..

Ann came for supper, was dealing with the day just a bit better now that her to do chores were done by Jeff lol

Tub filling, hot bath will do wonders..as my mind is full of thoughts/plans and ideas i think i shall take something to help me sleep and maybe numb the coughing..

didn't quite finish the pond, tomorrow is another day.
Night night

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I wasn't really able to see the leaves on Marilyn's pic - thought some looked like grass, or leaves of other plants.
Only Marilyn knows for sure lol

Well .. since it was a flower in a ditch, and I didn't want to entice either tic nor spider to my bare legs .. I'm not sure what the leaf looked like .. but a FBook friend from here bouts is in agreement re it being 'blood root' .. if we're out where they are today, I'll pick one .. they sure are pretty .. so delicate ..

Aww Betty .. that coughing is just such a pain !!! Quick story here .. on our local news channel, the 'weather woman', Fiona, is prone to coughing fits .. whenever I watch her giving the weather, my heart is still just in case she has one .. always a draw back to live TV ..
Have you been prescribed a blood pressure medication? Some of them will cause an irritating dry cough.

Beauty day here .. flowers to plant :-)

Enjoy your week

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.