What's happening in your neck of the woods??? Come chat...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh Brenda!!!! I tried to phone you, but the line is busy.
Lots and Loads of prayers for you, dear lady!

What time is the surgery?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Storm is just approaching now..rain turning to snow..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yikes on the SNOW/rain/sleet.......... in Ontario!
Today it's supposed to get to 26c here............. it's already 20c...........

Bob got a call re: resume he sent on Friday - Elite International Foods. They called him in for an interview tomorrow at 9am. They need someone to drive a 5 ton cube van 2 days a week, and be Warehouse Supervisor the other 3 days. Bob's driven a 1 ton, and also personal school buses and U-Haul trucks........... so maybe that would qualify him for the 5 ton truck?!?! His driver's licence allows him to drive them - we'll see.about the interview and what transpires.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Let's hope they hire him tomorrow, am sure he fits the bill..sounds as though they need a multi talented staff member, one who can do everything..

Throat is sore, off for hot chocolate!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 1:57 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

"thread" - you mean "throat"..........?!
Are you coming down with a cold, Betty!?
I'll join you in a hot chocolate. Usually have one late at night, but I've been out clearing up my front berm, so need something hot to drink (it's hot outside now! 20c, and promises to be 26c before end of day!)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hard to believe we have snow and you have shorts weather..no wonder everyone is fighting colds, we go from hot and humid to cold brrrr within days if not hours!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It's supposed to get cooler tomorrow, with rain on Thursday high of 12c and rain on Friday, with a high of 6c!!
Friday's our Movie Night - hope people come, regardless!
btw - I'm having Ovaltine, not hot chocolate - just seemed more appealing somehow.......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope all goes well with you Brenda!

Abby was dropped off at the vet at 8 this morning. The vet called about 11AM to say she was finished and Abby was awake and she did not remove all the teeth - left her something to chew with. I will pick her up in an hur or so.

A gardening friend came over this morning and helped me clean up a couple of the flower beds and get the potting soil in all the pots on the patio. She will come back next week and a couple of others have volunteered also. I have some pansies I can plant right now!

New neighbors (renting) next door - -seems like a nice young couple - we are having an interesting time- they have a young French bulldog named Fara and an older English bulldog named Bronx! When they come out in the yard Fara runs over to the fence and starts barking and one of mine of course has to go to my side of the fence and join in.( there are gaps between the boards) We are working on not letting them learn this behaviour but it is slow going. I usually check to see if their dogs are out before mine are or sometimes I just put mine in the house when they come out. Farah will get tired of running the fence if she does not get any reaction. Sassy is good with 'NO' but of course Bailey cannot hear me so I have to go pull him away.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I spoke to Brenda, and her surgery is tomorrow afternoon. She will be staying in the hospital approx 1 week.
Her DH will be posting periodically to Facebook, so guess who will be going onto her facebook? (me, natch!!)
She says he won't be posting right away, but he will do so, periodically...

Good that you're planting now, Carol - it's supposed to rain by Thursday (isolated rain tomorrow?!?)
By now you likely have Abby home - Is she groggy from the anesthetic (sp)?
At one point, weren't you going to learn "doggy sign language" for Bailey? I remember a friend in Winnipeg had the same issue with her hearing-loss dog, and sign-language was fine, as long as she was looking at my friend........... lol
I'd never heard of a French bulldog...... will have to google to see what the difference in looks are........

Bags are packed, just a few more little things to take care of tonight. All ready for the "Big Vacation". I hear they bring you food and drinks, and rub your back. You can just sit back and relax. Sounds like a week at a resort, right?

Thanks for all of your good wishes and prayers. I really appreciate them.

B

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Brenda - yes, hope they treat you well! Bring your laptop, write a famous short story, write your Thank You speech to Yale and Harvard for their honouring you with a dinner........... oh, I could go on and on about the relaxing things you can do!
Well, enjoy your time rehabing, and know we'll be thinking of you as you have your surgery, and recovering......
I'll check FB for your DH's updates..
btw - do they bring you Mojitos (you Did say drinks)?

Know that I will be saying prayers for you tomorrow afternoon and afterwards during your recovery - the Greatest Surgeon of All will be watching over your earthly surgeons.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 4:25 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

You will also be in my thought and prayers..guess it could be seen as a vacation of sorts, once fully recovered you'll enjoy all the things you've put off due to lack of energy..you'll be doing the happy dance before long..

Rest well tonight..we will all be waiting for updates!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Brenda told me she won't be on DG, but her DH will be posting updates on FB - I'll pop on there and see what he puts there. I'll copy/paste for here.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan Bailey knows - and has always known - lots of hand signals - but they dont work if the dog is not looking at you! LOL! We manage!

Abby was a bit wobbly when I picked her up - 8 teeth out so she still has some. She got out of the car and peed for what seemed like about 5 minutes! ! She ate a small supper and has slept most of the rest of the time. She will be fine.

Next week I will take foster Sassy in and see what the vet thinks. Previous vets have not wanted to give her an anaesthetic because of the tumor on her chest. But she has lived so much longer than anticipated that probably we will do the dental anyway - if she does not survive it will not be a big surprise, if she gets thru it OK we may consider putting her up for adoption as a special needs dog.

To cancer clinic tomorrow to see doc. Start of last chemo cycle on Wed!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes Carol - I know, from my friend in Winnipeg with her deaf dog, that she used to get so frustrated when she wasn't looking and couldn't see the hand signals lol
They say that furries won't "go" until they're home and safe, so I guess Abby "held" it until then.......... must have been a Great Relief lol
Hopefully they will agree to do dental work on Sassy - I'm sure she'll feel better for it!
Well, last of the chemo cycles, eh? How long is a cycle again? 3/4 weeks?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Wow, LAST one. Good job on forging through these weeks and weeks of treatment! Now the end of that is in sight.
All of us feel better when our mouths don't hurt so I'm sure that would be the same for our pets.

Susan , yes please, on keeping us in the loop from Brenda's facebook. I do know that when my Dad had bypass surgery years ago he felt so much better after the initial "get better" from the operation that he couldn't believe how awful he had been feeling before.

We had a great day today, not the 24 that was promised but a much happier temp for the G house. Have about 400 plants growing on and seeded about another 80 tonight. So will hope we don't have any snow in the forcast.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh Ann last cycle but still 3 treatments to go and then it will probably take another couple of weeks before my taste buds start to get back to normal. Am sure looking forward to that!

Thats a lot of plants-where will they all go - mostly in the containers?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

As her surgery isn't until tomorrow afternoon, and her DH likely won't be posting on FB until maybe the next day, I will let you know as soon as I have anything.

We got to 26 today! It's almost 9:30, and still 20c! What a day!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

https://forms.manitoba-ehealth.ca/sbh/wellwishes/default.php

The above link will allow you to send Brenda an email to the hospital ... her name is Brenda Magill .. you do NOT need the room #, the volunteers at Saint Boniface will take the email to her, or her hubby.
Most likrly she'll be in ICU for a couple of days .. all I can say is I feel bad fretting over a dental extraction while Brenda and Carol are facing their health issues .. time to BUCK UP ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Marilyn, for posting this!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks "M".. Isn't technology grand...
How right you are, laying cuddled on the couch with flannel blanket throat sore, feverish etc what a winner I've become!!

Enjoying between naps rain then sleet, few furries then wind, then hint of sunshine all in one hour!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - how did you get this nasty cold? Lots of hot ginger tea......... do you like hot toddys?
Lets hope it warms up - sure that's where you got chilled........... the weather change.
If you were already feeling "low" then the chill would make worse what you were getting anyway.
What's the temp there now? Keep warm!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Likely from Cathy whose father was deathly I'll with it..remember I had to go pick up the geese right? She called me yersterday and she was down with it!

Just can't warm up..no ginger tea but another neocitrin might hit the spot!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Are you taking the Nighttime Neocitron? I love that stuff.......... and nightime neo will "knock you out" lol

btw Betty - I added you to the Round Robin Quilt 2012 - you're in #5 spot, and Anita joined us too, so we have 6 people and I'm looking for one more.........

Victoria Harbour, ON

will have to go back now and read exactly what I signed up for...no just regular neocitrin...ooops expiration date over by 4 months..oh well, still better than nothing..I'll pick up a box when next in town.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol you signed up for the Lap Quilt Round Robin. You signed up in another DG room.

Think you'd best rest your head, Betty - as you've gotten this nasty chill/cold, I'm sure you're having a time of it today, so take it easy and rest. I won't let you forget, and we have time for you to make your center before sending it on.
it's a 15 1/2" x 24 1/2" unfinished block...........whatever you want for a center.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan, will definately go back and read..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

okie dokie!!
now REST, young lady!

Oh my Betty .. do so hope your cold is short lived .. rest is always good, but, make SURE it's ALL gone before you start your engines and start to get up to full speed once again ..

Sound like a broken record re the wind .. but .. it's here again .. all day, right off the big ol lake .. brrrrrrrrrrrr ..

Thinking of Brenda quite a bit and hoping all is going well for her ..

Off to make a salad .

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Y'know........... couldn't sleep last night (this morning) until 4:30......... couldn't stop thinking about her, and all she has to go through.... first her eyes (she had surgery on them, and as she says "I think it was a success!"), now her heart......

Trust me Susan .. Brenda has not only a BIG heart, but, a truly KIND heart .. she went out her way to take me under her wing (and her hubbys as well) when Lorna ended up in Wpg hospital and I was there with nothing to do but sit in the Health Sciences for a month ..
Anyone like that deserves flawless surgery with recovery that is a breeze ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

When I met Brenda in Winnipeg, in December 2011 (we went to school together in Winnipeg, but she was 2 years ahead of me, I didn't know her but apparently she knew me.......even Years later), I could just hug her........... she's really a sweet, gentle lady, and even when she was facing surgery this time, took time to assist me with some advice - just the sort of person she is, to take someone under her wing, ....... she's a gem!
I've known her online at DG for years now, but last Dec was the first time we got to meet "in person".
I would do anything in my power to make her comfortable.........
I have family in Winnipeg, and was thinking - 'what can I have them do for her, from me'. I've been "putting my thinking cap on" about this.

Update on Brenda
All is wonderful..surgery 12:00 to 4:30.. Changed assending aorta .. Changed valve. .. Wake up.. Maybe 5:30.. Breathing tube out at 8:30.. Talking conversations since then. Nurses are more than happy with smooth linear progression with no hiccups at all. She thanks all of you guys for the prayers, and is convinced that is what made the big difference.. And thanks from me too..
Signed..hubby

The above was posted by Echoes (Brenda's hubby) .. all is well .. :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

What great news !!! Bet Brenda's hubby is breathing easier this morning..don't they do wonders with heart operations now..sometimes the patient is home within the week.

Clear sky, cold and windy though..good day to do nothing inside..well almost nothing..should try to clean a bit of my craft room though, what a disaster.

Hope you all get to enjoy some warm temps

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Glad to hear all went well with Brenda surgery.

I have discovered that Call Display is not much good if you can't read it without your glasses - which are of course never anywhere near the phone unless I am sitting at the computer where my spare glasses usually live!

Our long term foster Teddy went to a new home yesterday. We have had him since October and he was so shy we just wanted to work with him - have a terrific foster home for shy dogs - he was made available for adoption in March. After we approved the adoption had an issue with transportation- adopters on a rural property near Grand Prairie - 'horse' folks, busy getting horses ready for show etc. GP is a long drive from Airdrie where Teddy was living.
Then - adopters discovered a friend was flying with another friend from Calgary up north somewhere - small private jet no less - and would take Teddy and stop at GP with him. I have not seen the pic yet but apparently he rode up sitting in friends lap with a set of earphones on so the noise did not scare him! Not many dogs get to travel like that!
Teddy is a bi-black sheltie, big beautiful fellow!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

ahhh, am sure he'll adapt in no time, sounds as though the adoptive family have mega grounds for him to roam..must been hard letting Teddy go..maybe you should find an adoptive family if it means flying about the country!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I sure hope so - our biggest concern in fact that he is not a dog who can be allowed to roam he is still pretty shy and if he was ever loose off leash at the moment he would probably disappear! But they have a big dog run and understand he needs to be kept leashed until he will reliably come when called - it will take time,.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wonderful how you find homes for these dogs who have once or twice been abandoned!

Adder seeing how groomed your dogs are I washed Sailor, finally got appt tonight at 4:45 to have her nails done and ears cleaned

Off for something warm. Hacking to beat the dickens

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Marilyn, for news on Brenda!! This is terrific!! ahhhhh Connor's breathing easier now that Brenda is recovering :-)

Sorry I didn't post earlier - I slept in until 10:00.......... yikes, must have needed the sleep!

Betty - do you take cough syrup with codeine? It helps me............ Available behind the counter, and they check you SIN# so there's no "drug abuse" lol like you Would, eh? lol

Carol - did you see about "Noah" the rescue dog from north of Calgary, with chemical burns on his neck and back? They're doing wonderfully well with him - surgery for the terrible infection - apparently had happened over 3 weeks ago.. and he's only 1 year old. People had called in to report that he was wandering the woods. They've placed him with a foster home, changing bandages every 2 days, then expect to get him adopted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.