What's happening in your neck of the woods??? Come chat...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No Betty I did not buy anything.!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought you would have come home with pretties..nothing tempt you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes a few iron pieces did but I got sort of tired and left early and just did not bother to go back and look again! Truthfully I don't need anything new! Although if the fountain guy had been there it might have been different!

I really like phlox, have been buying for past few years, one of my anchor plants in the front garden. Peonies, phlox,iris and lilies plus bits and pieces of other things of course but those are the main ones.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:25 PM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol I believe you also have the Gentian in your front. You got me hooked on it and mine was just getting showy last year. Lots of folks asked what that blue flower was!
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have several different gentians, both blue and white. But my neighbor Marie has the best and biggest one!
Don't know why mine won't get like this they both face east although maybe the ants nest underneath had something to do with it!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow - that's a gorgeous blue!
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the ant nest that's interfering with your gentian.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all..high winds last night,
Running late but wanted to wave

Omg please/please no more tempting me, now I have to look up gentian

Gab when I get to work

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I am in 3a .. and Carol, you are as well .. I wonder if the Gentian would grow here ?
Am wondering if it's the plant used in Gentian Violet .. used to use that as a med for Thrush Mouth back in the day .. may still do so ..
The pic is just flippin gorgeous !!

Sunny and cool here today .. but .. the snow has STOPPED .. but 39F .. OMG !!!!! WOuld imagine the air conditioners will be running full tilt !!!

~M~

stony mountain, MB(Zone 3a)

morning, that blue is wonderful !!!! i always find blues, whites and soft pinks so soothing.
hubby likes orange flowers lol...took me awhile to plant hot colors, so i compromise and
plant the hots in the full-sun front yard. and leave the cool colors for the patio.

weathers cool...not too bad, maybe rain later. put the matos out on the deck, hoping the cool temps slow them down a bit.

carol, i've never grown phlox, i thought they go mildewy, is there one you'd recommend to try ? is there a white ? i'm thinking of a white flower bed beside the patio.
and if anyone can think of a good white please, let me know !!!
cheers L

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lindy Phlox paniculata David is a well known white. I couldn't tell you what the rest are - I have a lot!
And there are different types and heights from creeping types to the old fashioned type which are very tall.

My Phlox is white and very perfumey .. and .. it grows like mad in an east facing garden, and, a southerly one as well.
I tend to think they are very hearty.

Still thinkin about that Gentian .. my gosh .. just beautiful ..

Lorna had her prosthetic leg lined and cushioned today, so far it seems to be 'kinder' to her ..

Very cool here .. but sunny .. more moisture in either the white or clear form is expected in the next 24 hours ...

Off to whip together a cullinary miracle

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah - a "kinder" leg and a Mule - what more could one ask for? lol

What culinary miracle are you whipping up? I just finished making Hearty Potato Soup (with celery, carrots and onions) yummmmm - lots of calories here LOL

Hmmmmm .. 2 Mules LoL .. then we'd have a MULE TEAM!!!

Made Quiche, my 'go to' dish when I am totally clued out .. always have eggs and cheese in the fridge, as well I had green onion and broccoli and some ham as well .. turned out A OK ..

Off to play my Scrabble games ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL - well, neither you, or Lorna are stubborn, so guess you'd have to buy another Mule LOL
Do you ever ride it? It seems to be quite popular to the "kids" and Lorna lol

Yep .. I drive it and am a bit more adventurous on it than Lorna as we had a quad when Murray was in his teens .. loved that thing .. I find Lorna is a bit reluctant to 'push the envelope' on the Mule, but, rightly so .. she has to watch what she's doing. Gord always makes sure she carries a cell phone with her, or, one of us is with her if she goes way out back to dump bows/debris ..

ANOTHER windy day here .. and snow mixed with rain at the moment .. am thinking it may be a stay at home day .. no one is up yet cept me .. I was up at 6:30am .. had 2 furry little bodies just busting at their seams to get outside as one of their BIG beach balls had hit the fence and they thought a MONSTER was lurking out there LoL

Enjoy youe day everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..posted yesterday reply re phlox and it must be lost in cyber space

The new genetics of the phlox makes them a lot less moldy..I try to water mine more at the base . I'm anxious to see what the new one will look like in bloom..Icecream Sherbet..mouth watering here.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

oops lost post again..

Victoria Harbour, ON

will be dropping into the nursery tomorrow night for a couple of shrubs..owner said he thought he had another new color..called 'peppermint' so will pick one one..I'm excited to see this year what my new phlox 'icecream sherbet' will look like

as you can see my favorites are phlox..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely pics Betty.

Our rescue email site was hacked into yesterday and when I opened up on Tuesday I could not get into site - had to change password - discovered a message had been sent out in my name to all the some 200 contact list saying I was in Scotland and had been robbed of everything please send money, dont phone, phone stolen too( I dont carry a cell phone!) please send $$ so I can get home.!!!!! This is a really old scam - I have had it many times from a variety of locations. Of course anybody on that list who knows me knows I was certainly not in Scotland! However it turned out all the contact list and some 5000 emails had also disappeared! So I could not send out a blast email to warn. Between some on my personal email and posting on websites where I had contacts I did manage to contact a fair number of people, also many people emailed back to check and some even phoned me! Spent most of the day on the computer or the phone! Have emailed yahoo to ask they say they may be able to restore the emails if it is within 48 hours so worth a try. Hope that includes the contact list but dont know - rebuilding a contact list is a real bummer!

A message was also put on our Facebook page - I told the person who is the admin she could post it was a scam but people could still send me the $$! LOL!

Fortunately we only have two dogs at the moment and one is not yet posted for adoption, the other we are in the adoption process and these documents are in my personal list of documents or the adoptions coordinator so the most important things are not lost! Many of those lost emails are probably not very important but I do find myself going back from time to time looking for a name or contact information.

The pic is Orange Perfection- rather hard to find, I have a couple, hope they survived our snowless winter.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

that's a bummer Carol..can't believe that some people actually fall for these scams! Hope they can get your contact list back, that would be terrible if they couldn't. I never back up my files, good lesson, guess I should!

ohhh love the Orange Perfection, will be on the lookout for it. There is also a deep blue, bought one, didn't survive..would like to replace this year

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, pepermint twise

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

carol..sorry to hear of your troubles, and at a rescue yet !! as my hubby says 'should be shot and p'd on' !!!!
nice pics of the phlox...great colors too, i'll have to check them out.
strange hearing the weather around the country... we had cool temps and rain last night but this morning the sun is out and its warming. got tired of tripping over the trays of tomatos, so i put them out. sun feels warm so should be ok. these plants sure aren't beeing 'babied' !
started seeding petunias...my hands were too shaky for those teeny seeds, try again today
cheers L

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lindy, thinking it's cold here as well, if it were a regular spring and we not had summer temps in March we'd be thinking it was a perfect April day..sure got spoilt.

I bought vine seeds so last night we the paper towels, set seeds on them..set into zip lock bags and put them on back bedroom so the sunshine coming in can do it's thing.

Won't be long until germination I'm sure..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Have to look for that one Betty!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - terrible about the scam!!
Fella I worked with said he got one of those emails, and the person it was "from" was a boarder in the same house LOL Needless to say, he Knew the person wasn't in Holland!!
Sure hope Yahoo can give you all your data back! 5000 emails and 2000 contacts is not something to "sneeze" at.
Maybe for future, back the data up? I know you can export your contact list from Yahoo.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes really I have been careless not to back up the contacts! Would not bother with the emails as really probably 90% of them or more dont matter - mostly enquiries about dogs and if somebody has actually sent in an application it isforrwarded elsewhere and stored in my personal documents - all specific dog information is printed and in the dogs files so the most important stuff is actually either on paper or in my own document files.

But I must admit I rarely ever back up my own stuff!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm the same, Carol - it's terrible to rely on these computers as much as we do, but it's a "human" failing, eh?
I should back everything up now...............

hi ladies

if you really, really, want to slap someone
do it
just remember to say,
mosquito

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Just told my DH and then slapped him (not hard - just a tap to say I Did) - he thought it was funny!! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

lol!!!!

Went to Garden Gallery, biggest garden center this side of Toronto..just getting stock in..doubtful they will bring in fern peony, tried for the phlox 'pepermint twist and orange perfection, no go..did see carpet roses thought $29.99 ..actually went to look for frogs seeing I am in a swap but none were really catching my eye AND those that did were so heavy the shipping would be too much. It did provide for a nice lunch though.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - couldn't you use your small camper to tow more plants home? LOL (I'm Such an enabler!!) LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

don't you encourage me Susan..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL and why not? LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Still in Vancouver but we fly back this afternoon. Will have more grandkids pics when I GET BACK (oops). I tried to read all above, but there's too much there; so I'm starting over. Woke up to rain this morning, but the sun has just come out. Of course. my sunglasses are packed in my suitcase (inside a sock inside a sturdy shoe) and not accessible.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well packed for sure Viola..looking forward to seeing photos..nice seeing all the children growing/hearing of their antics. Sun is out here but still quite cool..hoping the wind has died down so I can at least put an hour of garden work in.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Just heard that Dick Clark died today - 82 yo, of a massive heart attack
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/dick-clark-entertainment-icon-nicknamed-americas-oldest-teenager/story?id=16076252

Here's a pic of one of his houses he put up for sale last month - very Flinstone-esque a la Fred & Wilma
http://www.zillow.com/blog/2012-03-13/yabba-dabba-dick-clarks-flintstone-esque-house-for-sale/

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

No mosquitos here yet and no one has bugged me enough to use that excuse but I will remember it.
Carol, Nasty hackers! That is the lovely blue. Alpines are always hardy for us too and I'm hoping my small patch will be a bigger showing this year. They tend to flower a bit later too if I remember correctly.
Temps are hovering around 0 these days so I have the heater on in the G house at night and cover my starts so they don't get a big shock. Still have some more tender ones in the house. One begonia is flowering and so i don't want to set it back any by getting it cold. Even with these cooler temps I am going to have to transplant the 2 inches to bigger pots this weekend as the roots are all coming out the bottom and I don't want them root bound this early. I think I will go the the 3.5 inch pots next. Boy I sure like the heat mats as they really encourage root growth.

Viann , those G babies sure kept you busy this week...youve been very quiet. Looking forward to some photo's.
Ablerta Ann

Scammers ... just unreal how they can feel justified and even HAPPY (cocky) about what they've done, as though they are a 'cut above' all us other computer users .. makes me so angry.
AND, i do not back up anything either sad to say :-(

I had a totally blah day .. I baked a cake, watched a movie, and made supper .. never went outside the door !! So much heavy rain , felt bad for the dogs ..
Will make up for this lazy day tomorrow ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg, I don't believe this and wouldn't if someone told me this but last night after work I put vine seeds in wet paper towels, put into ziplock bags and they already have long sprouts..how could that be???

Called Cypress vine..actually went back in posts because surely it must have been last week but nope

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

only thing I can think Betty, is that the seeds were fresh - if they weren't, I'm sure they would have taken more time to sprout......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.