What's happening in your neck of the woods??? Come chat...

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Love the 'black and white' Sheltie .. and am so hoping someone took a pic with the earphones on LoL.

Our 2 'kids' were groomed today .. they both sure needed it .. after the grooming they're always tired .. guess 'Becky the groomer' makes them MIND !!!

AM over the moon re Brenda .. I know Connor will be as well .. finger crossed for an uneventful recovery ^_^

Apple pie in the oven and spareribs in the slowcooker .. wish I could smell it all :-(

Take care everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wish I could come eat at your house "M"' mouth just a watering..don't feel like going out at 4:30 but must..Sailor for grooming, stained glass studio then I just might take a ride into town to see if I can pick up Chinese or Kentucky fried, not into cooking this week!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M one of the guys took a pic of foster mom Shelly sitting in the plane with Teddy with earphones on - we dont really know him so not sure how soon we might get the pic.

Susan - dont think I saw Noahs story- is it on the CHS website?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

our neighbours gave us a Tuesday Sun newspaper - I found the story on there. - says it's on Twitter - @SunDaveDormer.
I never go on Twitter, so don't know what I just typed, means.........
The article is called "Beat-up rescue pup in recovery" I couldn't find it on Google............

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Found it. He is at a 24 hour vet.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good - glad you found it! Poor dog! Wonder how he got the chemical burns?!?!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pic from Chemo day yesterday. DIdnt bother to take my lap duvet , but the 'warm' blankets are only good for a few minutes and then just heavy - duvet next week! You cant seen the IV because it is inserted on the underside of my right arm.We dont use the top of my hand since it is still in recovery mode from an IV infiltration 2 months ago.
Had a problem yesterday when they changed the drip rate from slow to fast after 15 minutes and had a bad burning sensation at the site, nurse ended up doubling the saline rate more than the chemo rate to dilute it more as it entered and then it was OK. She said some people have that problem every time but it was quite a surprise to me as it was the first time

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 6:43 AM

Thumbnail by fancyvan Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Look as though they try and make you comfy Carol..you look so relaxed! Not good about the burning sensation..perhaps if you mention it on your next visit they might watch for it.
How are you feeling this morning?

Took Sailor to. New groomer last night, he seemed to think he was the dog whisperer..lol. I went in with Sailor as she is nervous of men , went to help him lift her, he all but screamed, leave her leave her, I must put all my energy in her healing..o k

was great with Sailor, taking her back end of May, going for her not me! He did encourage me to think of the food he makes which would be much better for her...yikes it would cost next months salary to afford the food..but did buy chicken jerkey for Sailor, $20 for treats..

He has a rescue program, has 12 dogs he is getting healthy before moving on and boards..had 22 there last night..beatiful run for them..

Well, think I'm in need of a nap

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty you can be sure I will mention it every time now. I actually know the IV sites we have used for the past 3-4 chemos and we dont use the top of my hand because of an IV infiltration 2 months ago and hand still healing so it makes it harder for the nurses to find a site. And of course we can't use my left arm because of the lymphedema.

Taking Sassy to the groomer this afternoon - I always disappear because she is much better with them ( there is a good garden centre about 10 minutes drive away so you know where I will be going!)- she actually wont let me groom her- gets very snappy and I cannot risk her biting me. Her undercoat is quite matted - should have had her groomed a couple of months ago but that was when I was sick and not paying attention. Anyway the girls say she is always pretty good with them and since there are several people somebody can hold her head if necessary. This is a g roomer who grooms our foster dogs at no charge.Tomorrow to the vet to see what we can do about her stinky mouth.

Cold out today, no gardening, supposed to rain for a few days, ground is very dry so we really need the moisture expecially the farmers in eastern Alberta.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sailor is so docile, it would not be a problem but did not want her to fret, next time I will drive up the road to the Stained glass studio and spend a few hours. Just a concession away is the lili farm but seeing as the lily bug has been in our region past few years no sense stopping there to ohh and ahhh at what I can't have. Told me Sailor is likely 10 or 11 and a lot of years left..we will see!

Going out already, aren't you concerned about catching all these bad germs ?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty I have never stopped going out and I have never worn a mask(athough I keepsome in the car) - even at the dog show and the garden show. Probably picked up a cold at the dog show beginning of March but other than that no problems. Just kept my fingers crossed. I do however have signs on my doors.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good for you, to get signs on your door. Saves you having to explain every time you go to the door (by which time you're already exposed to the 'germs'). I suppose this means you don't get a lot of door-to-door salespeople or politicians lol
I imagine that burning sensation was pretty 'uncomfortable' to say the least!

btw - our neighbour has a dog grooming van that comes to his place to groom his pooch (he's able to drive but it's more difficult as he has crutches all the time, and to carry the dog and open doors at the same time?!?! well, just not going to happen). They will come to any house if you call - can't remember the name of the company ......."puppy" something....... an obvious "grooming" name though.......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan I have had a mobile groomer since Bailey was 2 years old - 13 years no( Didnt have a car at the time) ! Once in a while I take the dogs to her but usually she comes to the house, sets up in the back porch ( her dream is to be able to afford an actual grooming van) I make an appt. she shows up and with 2 dogs she is usually here for some time and I often go shopping or somewhere out of sight! She does a great job too. I had a couple of mobile groomers before her and I would never have had them back as they simply did not know how to properly groom a sheltie!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

What's the name of your groomer, Carol? I think our neighbours use a guy.....
Good that you have someone that Knows how to groom a sheltie. Certain breeds have special grooming requirements, certainly!

I see you wore your new sweater Carol ^_^
I know how quickly those flannel 'warmed blankets' cool off.

Brenda (Echoes) walked a bit last night .. would imagine that'll be a daily thing now :-)

C O L D here .. because of the WIND from the north.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, she walked - now, wonder how she's doing with her "cough, please" that I remember them doing when I had abdominal surgery............ blech!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I saw her DH post that she's off all machines, except pacemaker and IV and is on the floor she will stay on, for the next week. He had posted that she'd "eaten my cookie" yesterday at noon...... I'd missed him saying that when he posted it on FB........ oooooopsie lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Great news on Brenda, before long she will be doing lapse aroung the hospital corridors!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol yeah, and Connor'd be chasing her to slow down! No, really, I think Brenda is going to be resting...... she wants to get well, and she's a smart lady.........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good news about Brenda!

Susan my groomers name is Wendy

.M. those are more like bed spreads than flannel blankets but whichever they don't stay warm very long. Which is why I normally take my lap down duvet which has fleece on one side!

Cold and rainy here - disappointing not to be able to get into the garden but it is very dry so we do really need the moisture. My potato order arrived today but it will be a while before I can plant them as the ground in the bed is not warm enough. Need to dig it loose and cover with plastic for a bit - might help.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

you need a warm and cozy quilt, Carol.......
Do you ever quilt?

S'funny to see my berm - 1/2 of it Never gets any moisture (unless it's from underground when it's rained) cuz it always looks so dry under the overhang from my mobile. Even driving rain doesn't seem to get under there. So funny when we've had 'flood-like' rains and still..........dry as a bone!! I really need to water it after a rain lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a quilt Susan the one I received from Victorias Quiilts but it is more single bed size.so it is at home on the sofa for naps. My duvet is just right. No I dont quilt - my Mom was a great quilter.

I had Sassy to the groomer today - they were running quite late and so I drove out to a nearby nursery just past the edge of town and of course found some plants to buy, not much because I really dont know yet what I need. I did get some small packs of coleus which I can put under the lights and use in some shallow planters I put on the back steps. A couple of interesting grasses for the patio pots and two p hlox - Orange Sensation ( I already have one but it is hard to find and I want one for another bed) and Blue Paradise which looks like a lovely lilac mauve shade.No Peppermint Twist. A bit too early to plant them but I might be able to get them under the lights for a couple of weeks.

I have so many phlox now I better carry a list with me! Same with veggie seed!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm glad you have your duvet, Carol.

Love coleus - there are so many varieties and colours!
I was out for a few minutes today (to the truck, into a building, out of a building to the truck, then home) but it was too dreary and raining that I didn't want to go out much. I can deal with snow better than rain. I love the rain for watering the gardens, but Not to be out in it.

I like "interesting grasses". I'd gotten some Pony Grass from Joanne (south) and I'm going to look for some again this year. There are some purple grasses that are really striking, too.......

I have to start thinking about roto-tilling my friend's yard (our veggie garden, that is) sometime in May. Hard to believe it's already close-to-May!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mornimg all, sunshine but cool..staying in the house for the day so guess it really doesn't matter what it's like outside.

I am working from home until 3pm then it's a quick trip to stained glass studio, TimbrMart to pay for a shed they are manufacturing for me then home..ok one extra stop for Chinese food..why cook!

Carol, I'm on the lookout for your Orange Sensation phlox, a lot of the nurseries are just now getting their stock in. Think I have Blue Paradise.

I received a book written by local television personality Frankie Flowers from Ann on my birthday..it's all container gardening, might try one or two this year.

Susan, how right you are, before we know it we'll be crying the blues that gardens are finished, snow upon our door and stores are singing Christmas tunes..will happen you know.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yup, will happen. It also reminds me I have to get a b-day pressie off to my Mom - May 2nd! I know Just the book to send her, so will get it tomorrow, and send it off - Love Wins by Rob Bell. She's quite the reader, and doesn't get to Church often anymore, so she'll like it, I'm sure.
I've made 2 quilts for her, so she wouldn't look for anymore from me, I know. She'll be 93!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty and I am looking for Peppermint Twist!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Then we are on a mission, might be easier for me to send you peppermint twist and you send me Orange sensation. Lol

In paper this mornimg was a flyer from a Midland nursery, if up to it might check it out while in town late tonight!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol I noticed too that you had on your new sweater. Was it warm? I belive you said it was Alpaca wool.
Groomers , oh boy do I miss the lady that did my Cleo for years. She became ill 2 years ago and passed away. She had a wonderful way with animals and did a super job. I think she is part of the reason my dog is so good for any groomer now.
Good news about Brenda!

Snow this am but it's melting now.

Able to keep Ghouse at 52 degrees last night so I am not worried about the weather at all.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

cold and windy today so I decided to make a trip to Sunnyside nursery for a few things! They had bags of bulbs on 50% off so I picked up some lilies ( 1-3/bag) some seeds, some pot feet ( which is what I really wanted) and a tray of Calibrachoa(Million bells) - cheaper by 10 pots so I bought 20. Already have a lot under lights in the basement - have about 6-8 dfifferent colors, mixing them all up in some big pots that go round a birdbath on the back patio.
They dont have many perennials in yet but guess what I found another phlox - Watermelon Punch!

Thumbnail by fancyvan Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Watermelon Punch sounds yummy!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Connor posted yesterday that Brenda had a fever, but not abnormally so, and today she's been walking Without a walker. Good oxygen levels!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, bought Blue Paradise this aft. $11.98 for quite a size..no orange but several peppermint twist, 1/2 the price of the other nursery..will have to keep that nursery in mind..maybe the hard to find are hard to find

Great news about Brenda!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, as Marilyn said on FB - these are HUMP days for her when she's gotten a fever, getting a few aches and pains re: walking/sleeping/eating for the first times after surgery, then it's all "uphill" from there.

An interesting link ..

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1169961--world-s-tallest-plant-to-bloom-for-first-time-in-canada

I watched one of these via the internet about 2 years ago. It bloomed in Texas .. it was quite fascinating.

Busy day, houseful of company, finally time to sit back and relax .

ALbertaAnn .. my DGDaughter is trying out for cheerleading .. jumping for joy is she .. I'm kind of hesitant though.

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Everyone - Brenda may go home Tomorrow! Apparently IF her fever goes down, and the "shakes" stops, she'll be released.
My daughter was going to visit her tomorrow afternoon, but Connor said "no, we'll be leaving the hospital before she could come" so he's obviously thinking she'll be released.
I certainly Hope so, cuz she's been walking around and feeling pretty good (other than the fever, naturally, and that's to be expected Connor said).
Brenda even posted on her FB account - she said "Thanks, for all the prayers and well wishes. I really appreciate them."

Fingers crossed Brenda can go home .. Lorna's only positive recollection re the 'hospital cuisine at St B' was the date squares, and they only arrived 3 times in the 2 weeks she was there, but, you could purchase them in the cafeteria LoL
Be nice if she can be discharged, guess it's a wait and see proposition.

ANOTHER heavy frost morning .. lawsie am tired of them .. you can sure tell how hearty Iris and DayLilies are though ! The bunches of them I have are hanging on ..
Going to hang sheets on the line .. know they'll dry as we do have the ever constant wind, and, brilliant SUNSHINE :-)

Have a nice day everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just moved us over....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255146/

This message was edited Apr 29, 2012 7:51 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.