Swapping & Chatting Ric & Holly's Swap

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the Plant Swap & Chat Thread for those coming to the Spring Swap at Ric & Holly’s on May 19th. Spring is moving in fast so now is the time to start.

HAVE & WANT LISTS, I will have a separate thread just for the lists so they don't get lost in all the chat. You will be able to look at the lists then come here to make requests and chat about your trades.
Have/Want Thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246746/

Some of you may want to make prearranged swaps and this is where you can arrange them.
Have and Want lists let people know what plants you are interested in, or give you an idea of how much of a particular plant to bring. It also gives you a chance to look up unfamiliar plants people are bringing and see how they would fit into your garden.
It's not necessary to prearrange all your trades, There will be lots of on the spot swapping. Don't hesitate to bring extra plants as there will be friends and family here that do not access DG so I am sure that you won't be taking those extras home with you. You may also find that what you think of as a common plant is on someone’s wish list. So just pot up your extra plants and seedlings, come and enjoy. Holly

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay! THe best thing I've seen all day!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm looking forward to actually contributing to this swap! :-) I'm about to pot up my wintersown plants so they can be ready for the swap.

I've been having a lot of fun making my own potting mixes. Would anyone be interested in Al (tapla)'s gritty mix for succulents or the 5:1:1 mix?

A baggie of nice mix is sometimes a nice swap thing. Wrightie brought baggies of alfalfa pellets some years ago. We certainly don't all expect even steven (more like Take my excess please!!) but some people want to have something to give in lieu of lots of plants.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love succulents and can always use some succulent mix. I would be glad to have some.
I am hoping to have some bamboo poles here for anyone that would like a few for trellises or other projects, and we have a huge compost pile for anyone that would like to bring a few bags or pails to take some home.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you for starting the links, Holly!!! This is exciting!!! I am soooo looking forward to the event.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So are we.

Would anyone be interested in fertilizers?

I have a small bag of Hollytone, but there is no way I could use all of it before the expiration date.

I also have Bayer All-in-One for roses, for feeding and insect control. I have a big bottle and I think I've used maybe 1 tablespoon of it.

I have some sort of a turf fertilizer as well. If anyone's interested, I'll look up the name.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holy---

I need to make 2 fairly tall (5'-6' or so) trellis for a couple Clematis.
I would be interested in some of your bamboo poles. Any directions to making a trellis included?????

Also--was it you, Holly, or "Roses" who was going to root me some "Blushing Susie Vine"?
I still would like to have one. Have the perfect pot to plant it in.
Also some rocks--we all discussed that a while back.....

SS--I would not worry about expiration dates on organic, granular fertilizers (your Holytone).
I bet it is still good for several years after the "date".....

Thanks, Gita

Oh! I have raspberries!

I have way too many of these right now. I'll dig them up now and pot them up if anyone's interested. They've been cut back, so right now is the best time to handle them. Those thorns are sharp!

Gita, that's good to know about the fertilizers. But that Bayer rose food is still waayyyy too much for me.

I'd enjoy some Bayer all in one
; ^)
thanks.
I would use it on other flowering plants as well though, and you might.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Sorry no instructions on making your trellises but you can look up some ideas before you come so you make sure you will have what you need. One year I make a very simple on by just tying 3 of them together at the top like a teepee.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I'd love to try some raspberries,SS. If you can spare some, please let me know and I'll add them to my wants list on the proper thread. Thanks so much!!

Gita, please list your "wants" from me on the proper thread so that I can keep track. Thank you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses--I just did!

I was not sure whether it was you--or Holly that promised me a start for this vine.
That is why I posted it here......:o)

Gita

Sally, the Bayer is yours! I'll keep a little bit for myself, but it's just too much for my beginner's garden. I wish these fertilizers came in smaller bottles.

Roses, I'm so glad you want the raspberries! :-)

They're very nicely established and fruit nicely, but there isn't enough air movement where they're located right now.

ssg- don't skimp yourself. I use it also on brugmansias, or anything thats bug prone and flowering and not edible to humans.

Roses, I can pot some Heritage raspberries for you.

Sally and SSgardener, I'll be needing some instruction as to growing the raspberries. Always wanted them and now I'm excited to get them!
'

Greenthumb,on the "haves and wants" thread, I requested some of your foxglove if you have any more available. Thank you. Teri

Teri, I have found Finegardening.com to be an excellent source on raspberries!

Here's a wonderful article on how to grow them:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/articles/reliable-raspberries.aspx

And here's the best pruning video I have found:

http://www.finegardening.com/item/21066/video-how-to-prune-raspberies

Roses- mine are Heritage , from the old plants that have been going in my yard for over fifteen years. Far as I can tell they are disease free. They will make new canes from the ground this year and start to bear in july until frost. I'll let you know if I get a good clump+ up for ya. Usually planted in a row, with wires to tie them on at about four feet off the ground.

ss, need any more variegated liriope? I have more dug.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses---

I will have Foxgloves as well. Potted up a whole tray of them. They seed and spread so easily.
Because they both of mine grew side-by-side---They will be either Rose/deep pink--or white.

See my "Haves" list..... Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Boy, I have a ton of baby Hellebores coming up.

Sally, yes! I'd love some variegated liriope!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

Could you post a picture of what newly sprouted hellebore plants look like?

Some of mine are getting on in years. I know there must be offshoots--I just do not know what to look for.
Everything is always buried under leaves.....

Thanks, Gita

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi guys, just saw you're having a swap again. We'll check our schedules...we would love to try and come! Holly, the black pussy willow from a few years ago is blooming now - first time!!! So excited to finally have one getting established. Now I'd love to grow a pw with the giant catkins. I'll be back in touch

Thumbnail by wind

Sally and SSgardener, Thanks for the great feedback on the raspberry plants. Really looking forward to them.

Holly, if you have any extra hellebores, I would love to try some again. Haven't been successful with the ones that I purchased a few years ago and I'd like to try some grown in a climate similar to mine.

Gita, I would be so happy to see those foxgloves growing in my garden!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses---
You can put in a request on the haves/Wants Thread as to how many you would like to have..
So far--I have 22 4" pots that I dug up and potted up. Since the white and the Rose ones were so close to each other--
I cannot say which seedling is which. They are both beautiful.

Here are the two colors I have. The pink may be a bit lighter on some of these.. More like--rose color...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe--more like this one.....most likely.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gita, I got foxgloves from you last year. THose little babies are now HUGE, can't wait to see the blooms!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes! They can grow to be 4' tall--or something. need to be staked!

Here are my neighbor's two stately spikes--SOOOO beautiful!!!!
And--2nd picture--after the storms we all had in June of 2011. NEED to stake these tall spikes!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Here is a picture of the Hellebore seedlings, they don't have their true leaves yet. So they don't look much different than many other plants at this stage. I just know what they are because of the location. They are growing right under several of my Hellebore plants.
Wind sure hope you will beable to come to the swap. That Black Pussywillow sure looks good. There should be more of those at this years swap.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gita, I'd like a holiday cactus and a Dr. Seuss brug, please!

Roses, I just saw that you'd requested Sedum angelina. You're going to love these! Absolutely the best looking sedum in my teeny rock garden.

Kubileya, I'd love that Dragon fruit cactus!

Holly, I'd love some hellebores!

I've been trying to grow Heucherella Stoplight, but they're not doing well in my garden. I was told that it might be the heat/humidity here, but they don't look as pretty as the pictures I see on line. Would anyone else like to try growing these? I have two. I'd love a different heuchera/tiarella to try, preferably a light colored one.

I just added sedum ogon on my haves list. It has a gorgeous light green color.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--

I will have a lot of Holiday cactus.
The colors I have for sure are: Fuchsia&white--Red--and Salmon

I will put you down. Which one? There will be a lot to pick from. They are small.....

Gita

ssg! Can I have even a tiny piece of ogon sedum? Most of them grow nad root like crazy so it doesn't have top be big.

Would you like some sedum Blue Spruce? Or have I given you some before?

Gita, small is perfect, because I only have a small basket for hanging them! :-)

I don't know enough about holiday cacti to pick a color... I guess the fuchsia/white one?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--By small--I mean SMALL!

look here.....However--they are all rooted and growing....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

How big will your white Bicopas be?
I would like a couple.....

Same question re your Dragon Wing Begonias....I did not root any from last year.

I may also have some Wandering Jew cuttings. Just have to pinch them and out them in water.
Would love some.

Thanks--Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SS, I have some Helles for you I would love some sedum ogon
Sally could I have a bit of the Blue Spruce sedum
Gita, the Bacopa & Begonias will be pretty small, they are part of my plug order that is coming in next week.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Roses-R-Red is the one with the Blushing Susie VIne. Just realized that I didn't answer that question.

Just so you all know the Hellebores will be very little, but there are a lot of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.