CLOSED: DJ'S SEED ROBIN'S IN FLIGHT PT 3

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

thanks Susie, I had seen that, but couldn't find much more info about it. I'm wondering if there is another name besides okra tree to look up...

so many seeds, so little time, but I love it!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I admit I can get confused pretty easy, but keeping up with these robins has me completely turned around.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips about heating the trays, I'm going to try the rope lights since I have one and see how it goes. And Steph, if you have a pattern for the growth chart, may I have a copy. I really like that and would like to share it with a few nieces and nephews.

I do hope everyone has a very warm and fuzzy Christmas, and don't forget to pray for our soldiers who are far from home.

I found a poem that I thought would be nice to share:

CHRISTMAS ROBIN by Stan Harrison

Jaunty little robin,
With your plume of glowing red,
Swinging on the washing line,
Perched upon the shed.
Don't know where you come from,
Or when you will appear.
But when the Christmas bells ring out,
I know that you'll be near.
We send a chirpy greeting card,
To dear friends nationwide.
And pray that each receiver,
Feels that happy glow inside.

Merry Christmas everyone, and to all a good night.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL JUST WAITING ON THE KIDS TO GET HERE DADDY'S SINGING TO US , 1ST CUP OF COFFEE GOT TO WORK ON ANOTHER . YA ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY
SUSIE

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

No pattern really on the growth chart. I used a 1/2" x 6" x 6' piece of oak - you can use wider and thicker if you want - stained it. Let that dry. Used a tape measure and marked, starting at 6" on the bottom, marked every 3" with a pencil. Then I taped off the "short line", the "medium lines" and the "long lines" - like a ruler has. Long lines are the foot markers, medium lines are the 1/2 foot markers, etc. Using a paint marker, I drew the short lines, pulled the tape, made the medium lines, pulled the tape, made the long lines. Then using either 1/2" or 1" stencils, used the paint marker and put the numbers on. Hung the picture hanger bracket at the 6' mark in the back - that way you can measure 6' on the wall, put your nail in and hang it at just the right height - 6" from the ground.
Hope that made sense. Here is another explanation from the link I got the idea from. http://naptimedecorator.blogspot.com/2011/10/ruler-growth-chart.html
I deviated from this to make it "mine" and to fit my moms house. And "added" a few helpers like the tape to keep my lines straight.

Merry Christmas! Sun is shining here today. Dont forget to feed your birds! :)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Steph thank you for the instructions.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the poem, George, and to all a goodnight! :D

Nice Poem George ty for sharing, headed for the New year with new expectation & great ideas from all of you thank you for sharing your great ideas . its going to be 44 here today with sunshine so brother is going over to pick up some barn wood today so we can do some building will keep informed of our projects :)

well wishing you all a great day back later in the day .
susie

Athens, PA

I love that poem George. Did you make it up? I have always loved poetry.

Hoping everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Cannot believe it is done with for another year. Looking forward to the new year and the new growing season.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I found the poem on the internet with google. Glad ya'll enjoyed it. I love poetry too Carolyn. I wish I had the talent to write it, but only to enjoy it is enough. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. My daughter, grandson and granddaughter live out of state and couldn't be here so I spent a quite day alone. It was still a beautiful holiday. I'm at the age now where I can appreciate solitude and quite time. I'm so thankful that I live out in the country and can go for a walk out in nature now and then.

Athens, PA

George

I grew up with all my family surrounding me during the holidays and the big family meals. I have had difficulty with the sizing down of family members that can attend the holidays as we are scattered all over the country. I do, however enjoy some solitude from time to time.

evening all yes our family's are all scatter but mainly have their own KIDS & GRANDKIDS To share Christmas with Its to hard on daddy to have over 100 family members in a 3 room home :) so they all take turn visiting with him :)
I Also love the walk down the country road . or walk back in the woods .beside i do i do not ever feel alone when I Have all of my DG 's friends to chat with :)))

right now my neighbors wants to chat so i'll be back later

Concord, NH

good morning all the ROBIN IS IN FLIGHT to Chris in NJ. i added over 100 packs plus large bag of seeds for all to share, happy holidays all blessings ,Susan

Concord, NH

and thank you dj for the beautiful towel,xox

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow Susan - thanks! Can't wait to see the west Robin coming down east. :)

SUSAN THE TOWEL YOU RECEIVED MUST HAVE BEEN FROM CAROLYN22 RIGHT ??? IN ROBIN #1 ???

susan / gardenseeder had robin
west to east RIGHT ??? & Mailing to cris316 ??? RIGHT

wind/diana HAS ROBIN EAST TO WEST & WILL ALSO BE SENDING THE ROBIN TO CRIS316 FOR WE HAD MISSED CRIS

SO PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGES I HAVE MADE AT THE TOP FOR THE FLIGHT BE FORE MAILING OUT ROBINS AGAIN.
WAITING FOR PAM/PFG TO CONTACT ME BY THURSDAY.

SO DIANA IF YOU HAVE NOT MAILED PLEASE WAIT & DMAIL ME 1ST OK TY.

PFG are you watching us yet please dmail me when you can.
well just a scant of snow this morning

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Susie I'm glad I'm not the only one :). I have tried my best to keep up with these robins and its not as easy as it looks!

Now you all can see & understand why I ask you all to please POST when the robins Land & depart then we all can get confused :))
i love doing these types of robins but they are harder to do when you have two at one time so from now on if we ever do another it will be with one robin only :)

it dose help to date the robins as to when they land & take off so you can tell how far away from you they are .

some of you have the second robin before you get the 1st robin for the west robin is in the east right now so you will NOT get a towel
from that side .

you all might be wondering why cris was getting both robins this week well #1 robin i believe missed her & also pam/pfg has been gone but should be back this week just waiting to be sure she will be home so we can send the robin back up her way.

well off to finish up supper ya all have a great evening.
susie

Concord, NH

oh ok thank you carolyn for the beautiful towel lol box is on its way to new jersey to cris316 no worries

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Hi all- I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was busy with family and quite rewarding, heading home tomorrow and looking forward to it after being away for so long.

We had Internet problems for the last several days so I got behind on the posts, but it looks like everyone has been enjoying themselves one way or another and especially enjoying the robins. I'm getting excited about my turn-- it's my first ever!

So deejay, please schedule me in, I'm ready!

Best to all...

Pam

WIND?DIANA if you get this before going to the post office we need you to send the robin to PFG please let us know ok.

well yesterday i started getting all my suplies out cleaned up & ready to start planting a few seeds . can hardly wait
well off to get me day started ya all have a great day . will check back in later
susie

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

GM, yesterday I was sorting seeds into 3 bags. Garden bag, winter sowing bag and a bag for looking up before I could do anything with them. I also cleaned some more seed to include in the next Robin. Thank you George and Stephanie for your tips on cleaning seed. Mine are 99% better than before and all the chaffe that was left I took out and spread along the treeline........maybe I'll be flowers back there too.
Donna

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Thats great Donna. I was working on some last night too in the garage. The purple cone flower. Tedious, that's for sure. Also thought about what kind of chair I can sit in when I do seed, that I am able to just move out to the yard in the spring and just let the chair grow :) Havent come up with one yet...lol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Steph - I'm trying to see that chair growing.

I've been frustrated with static cling and my giant gallon bag of symphotrichium pilosum/downy white aster. Wonder if I had some of that static guard spray . . ... I have a small bouquet of dead plant branches with seed heads on them that I collected while up in the Blue Ridge Mountains a month or so ago. I am going to post pictures of them in the plant ID forum to see if anyone can help me to ID them. One's a solidago for sure, of course they ALL belong to the aster family, or do they?

It doesn't matter to me what they are - they're native wildflowers and that's good enough for me to know.

In the meantime, every now and then I get too close and brush up against them. When I brought them back with me I put them in my coffee travel mug and the back of my car is full of seeds, so I hope it doesn't get too wet in there. This past summer, some errant sunflowers sprouted under the cover for the spare tire. I should have let them go. :D

Have a nice day everyone. I know that the hope of spring and talk of seed starting proves that I am an optimist at heart, despite all the hard living I did when I was a crabby trial lawyer. Thank goodness. I suppose I'd rather be an optimistic seed starter than a pessimistic trial lawyer. Let me remember that the next time I get bummed out about finances. ;)

A.

gardening has a way of putting good thoughts in our head rather then winter time blues ;) i've been out sorting through the seeds
that i want to get started on. in a couple weeks. right now have to go start lunch for daddy .

back later of as for the chair that will grow . I Once took an old lawn chair padded it with sphagnum moss watered it well & planted
vines & petunias along with other plants it was the talk of the yard . haven;t done it in years i should make another thank you for reminding me of that :)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I need a chair I can bring in the house in the winter - to sit in and do seeds...then move it outside when it warms up and just let it grow. I suppose, with the right batting, any chair would do :)

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

DeeJay,
Got a message from Garden Seeder that the seeds were on my way.
I'm so excited I would do a happy dance if I could lol

Cris

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Cris, ...and lots more coming your way asap!!! Last weekend was Christmas and had to go back to work Monday =/ I'm trying to go as fast as possible. I'll let you know as soon as the Robin East takes flight. I'm waiting to hear from Susie (Robin traffic control). I'm hoping tomorrow, or most definitely by Friday (I'm off) at the latest ^_^

Diana

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Geeez, Cris - I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!!! ;)

WIND Sorry i wasn't able to get back on last night , But Would like for you to please send the robin to PFG if you will PLEASE .
that way CRIS Won't have the exspence of two robins in one week . Please let us know you have the message . Please

Wishing you all a warm day :)

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey, does anyone have any tips for eas cleaning of coneflower? I am so sick of pricking my fingers. LoL And does anyone have Joe Pye weed seeds?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I have joepye - TONS!! and I have been cleaning coneflower too. I put it in a paper bag and crunch it. Then sift it in a strainer, pur it out and separate. Just got done with a bunch of purple last night.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Received the box today and hopefully will get it back out Saturday.

Athens, PA

Minne -

that is a great idea. I always ended up pricking my fingers until I had no feeling left in them! Wish I had thought of that, but then that is what we are all here for isn't it....

Cris Please check with me before sending it out I'm trying to fix the route so no one has both robins in the same week same time so just waiting to hear back from wind as to when she is sending & If she got my message to send to pam / PFG. so then i will have her send to wind & Then the robin will be back on track . I HOPE :)))

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

So then tell me the easiest way to clean my beebalm...I have 5 cups of flowers to clean...for about 3 oz of seed...hot pink, purple, red, Jacob Cline....ugh. Not looking forward to these.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sure will DeeJay.

Concord, NH

minnie,i put a few flower heads in a small brown lunch bag close it and and shake skake shake then i cut a very small hole in the bottom of one corner of the bag and shake over a paper plate and they drop out.hope this helps,susan

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I have tried shaking...nothing. I am thinking about putting them in my coffee grinder. I have enough in order to give it a try and not feel the loss. Tonight I think I will be working on the culver's root...blistering my fingers again.

Anita, did you want JoePye? I can send you some. Just let me know.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Steph - you have made me the happiest seed collector on the plant by sending me some VEronicastrum.

Loveya girl. Thanks - I didn't realize you had to bloody your fingers.

xox

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

Stephanie, if you have any left may I please have some Joe Pye. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.