Brugs, before I dug them up

Hamilton, OH

Here are some Brugs, before I had to dig them up, to take them in, a good thing to, it was 30 degrees this morning
This is Miss B. Havin, looking so pretty

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

This is Hazelnut Buttercup, a cross that Patricia Watson did, she did a wonderful job with this one, I love everything about it, it was
one of the first ones to get potted up, the Blooms are still holding in the Basement, I sure am going to miss that Fragrance

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

This is Hazelnut Buttercup, doing a great Flush, I was so glad to see all the Blooms

Elizabeth

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Those are beautiful - would love to find a cutting of the Hazelnut Buttercup. ALL of Patricia's crosses are gorgeous!!!

Hamilton, OH

This is Double daydreams, it was so sad, it had just started to open, then I had to dig it up

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

I had to show this Pretty Rose, since it will be awhile before I see this again

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Kay
I think she may still have some, see if you can get in touch with her, Yes she does so well, with all of her crosses

Elizabeth

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I will ask if she has any cuttings for sale - thanks.

Must be awful to have to dig them up ...so sorry.
True love and dedication, that's for sure.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Beautiful flush, Elizabeth! It is sad to see the season come to an end, isn't it ? But at least the hard part (digging and transporting) is over.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

All so beautiful...

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful indeed.

Hamilton, OH

Good Morning everyone
Crissy, it's so worth it, I can't imagine my yard without my Brugs
Dee, it is kinda sad, but then there are the Holidays to look forward to, Plus you know we will have some Blooms in our Basements
Charlene, Thank you
Huneybunch, Thank you, I got all the Brugs potted up, almost, then I ran out of potting soil, I am mixing seed & sod starting soil with MG
I just want to see if that works better than just MG

Elizabeth

Blackshear, GA

Elizabeth,
Beautiful brugs! Is the Hazel really that yellow?

Also, what is the plant in the background of the double daydreams photo? (wiry/hairy)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

evening all it has been awhile sorry its bee quite a week with daddy & another Long week ahead have to take daddy back in on this weds
to have a tumor removed from his bladder , so just know i have not forgotten anyone ,
Liz Your Blooms are so very pretty going to miss the blooms mine have all bee cut back,

TY Char for posting the link for me . gn all
susie

Orangeburg, SC

Help! Can anyone tell me if brugs can be barerooted and stored for the winter like plumerias? I don't have space to keep them all in pots.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't believe they can but you can let them go dormant, Just give very little water, and store where it will not freeze.

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks, Doris. You're right. I found the info I was looking for.

Hamilton, OH

Good afternoon everyone
I am so glad you found my thread, Thank you for the nice comments, well I am almost done potting up, trimming, it is Beautiful with sunshine
& warm outside I am so gald, I have to drag the bags of potting soil down to the Basement, also tonight the little trick or treater's will be by
I have to buy some more candy.
Susie, I hope your dad makes it all right through the operation
GaGirl, that plant is an Sweet Autumn Clematis, I have to trim it, it is going all over the place
Deebie, Doris told you correct, I just use the bags to save me clean up from the root ball, I trim the leaves, pot them up, then put them under
the lights, I have in the basement.
have a great afternoon

Elizabeth

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

gorgeous, Elizabeth.. you know which one I love..

Hamilton, OH

Debra
you know it's time to sending out clippings, well I had a Box to ship out, but before I could start to fill it, I had the Box sitting on the floor
look what decided to climb in it, have a great afternoon

Elizabeth

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL. One of my cats, Winston, also loves to get into boxes, the smaller the better, as long as he fits of course. The other one doesn't like any enclosed areas

Hamilton, OH

Hi Veronica
I have only 2 cats, the momma Sepi & daughter Princess, aren't they fun? I have about 3,15 gal pots of Lave rock to put in my Brugmansia
pots, to keep the cats out of them, using them for the litter box, it's good to see you here

Elizabeth

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Elizabeth,
My 2 had to become indoor cats when Winston developed histoplasmosis as a young cat. He survived, but his lungs were badly scarred. We couldn't risk Lucky bringing in more fungi so he had to become an indoor cat as well. It took a while, but they don't try to go out anymore, but it means they just get into mischief in the house. Our new home is almost complete and I have no idea how they will take to their new environment. Well, .... as long as they find their liter boxes and they don't try to jump from the second story walkway. We tried to make the house more cat friendly, but there wasn't anything we could do about the walkway. There are low windows with wide stools in most rooms so they will be able to view the world from where ever they choose. We've had them since we found they were kittens. Winston would have been roadkill if we hadn't picked him up. Lucky belonged to a semi-domesticated cat family where my DH worked.

I've been mostly lurking since August 2010 due to health issues and having to stay on top of the house construction. I didn't know it was going to be such a hassle. I have enjoyed looking at all the great photos of everyone's Brug blooms. Mine went dormant this summer. It was so hot and dry that they also died down to soil level. About 50% have come back, but the rest are dead, dead, dead. I was so happy to see my Miss October survived.

Please keep posting your photos! They are a morale booster. :-)

Veronica, congrats on your new home!
what is histoplasmosis ???

would you like some rootballs of brugs?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Debra,
It's a fungal disease cats and dogs can get but usually before they are 3 years old. Older animals don't usually get it. It is spread by concentrations of birds' fecal matter. It can be present even after the feces dissolves. It affects the eyes, lungs and brains and is very difficult to cure. The survival rate is low. If it gets into the eyes, it can cause blindness. It scars the lungs and if it gets into the brain, it kills brain tissue and is usually fatal. Treatment is long and slow.

Winston was given a 35% chance of surviving. The cat or dog gets a high fever, become very lethargic, and sleep more than usual. As a result they lose weight and can get severely dehydrated which is what kills them early on. Until I could get him seen by a vet at A & M Veterinary Hospital, I had to take him in every day so his vet could hydrate him. He had a feeding tube inserted near his neck directly into his stomach. I had to feed him a thin gruel at a rate of no more than 1 ml a minute otherwise he might regurgitate the stuff and breath it into his lungs. It took 8 months for him to get over it. His eyes were slighly affected, but it was mostly in his lungs. Because he doesn't have the endurance he used to, he might not be able to outrun a predator. Thus he had to become an indoor cat. Because his lungs are scarred, we couldn't risk another infection and there is no way to get rid of the fungal spores outside. I had to feed him through that tube for 3 months. At that point, we switched from liquid medication to pills. He was very good about taking his pills. His reward for taking the pills was a small portion of tuna. As soon as he saw the pill applicator, he'd jump onto a chair and let me open his mouth to insert the pill. Then he'd jump and run to his food bowl and wait for his treat. It was an exhausting 8 months.

I don't know how much it cost to cure him because I didn't dare tally up the total, but I just couldn't let him die. He was the one we rescued from the middle of our local farm to market road. He was about 5 weeks ol and someone had tossed him out of a moving vehicle. He had bits of fur missing from all over his face and head and the tip of his tail was hanging on with a little piece of muscle. The vet had to remove it. He said that the kitten's lower lib was torn from his lower jaw, but that it would heal. Winston is a fighter just like his namesake, Winston Churchill (I like English History.) Later after the bout of histoplasmosis and during a follow-up chest X-ray, the vet discovered some evidence of old injuries that might have been associated with the fall. His right wrist is completely shattered. There are 2 areas in his back where the vertebrae are separated more than they should be. He has the same kind of injury to his shoulder and hip, but that doesn't keep him from being a jumping fool. I couldn't let him die. It would have broken my heart. My DH understood and although he wouldn't have admitted it, I don't think he would have had Winston put down. That little guy is a survivor. It's had to believe he is already 9 years old and considered a senior citizen. I'm constantly amazed at how much joy pets bring into our lives.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

That is just what my cat does to ANY box I have on the floor, or table.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Hello, little bandit. you always so pretty.

Hamilton, OH

Veronica
Congratulations on your new House, my Sepi, was a stray that picked me her first litter all died, I am pretty sure she was to young to have them, I tried to keep her in the house, but she got out of the house, her second litter lived all five of them, I found homes for all of them, but I didn't trust anyone else with the little black cat, so I kept her, all of them are now fixed, I am so glad your miss October made it, that one is a Beauty, I am with Debra if there's anything I can do to help you just let me know
Doris, what a Beauty you have there
Hi Debra & Charlene, have a great afternoon
Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Here is my Basement photo's, I know you're suppose to remove all the leaves & Blooms, I will do that this evening, I just wanted to enjoy these Blooms, for a little while longer

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

another one

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Elizabeth,
Removing the leaves and flowers is for the convenience sake. If you don't mind sweeping up leaves and flowers as they fall, you can leave them on and joy what blooms decide to open. Thank you and Debra for the much appreciated offer. Let me sort through the pile of "dead Brugs" labels first. Right now, I've got my ranch helper, David, running around in several directions. All top priority and I have to lend a hand for some of those chores.

Poor David. I've asked him to insulate the new shed so our filtration system can be installed before we move into the house. We can't use the water as it is from the well — tested out at 2300 ppm of dissolved salts and minerals. We'd get salt poisoning. I have about 20 pots that need to go into the greenhouse before tomorrow night before the temperature is drops close to freezing. I need the bull pen cleared of fallen branches. I had to place the bull in it before I anticipated and I don't want him to injure his hooves. Rex has to be in top shape by the end of December because he is going to be a busy boy. He's our new bull and he has to earn his keep. All but one of my cows were already pregnant when I bought him, but he was a bargain because his former owner decided to switch from register Angus to Brangus cattle and had no need of him. Hay has to be put out. Have to sort through the pile of limestone because I want to keep the good pieces for a retaining wall, but the builder needs to take away the dross pile.

One of the few photos I have of Winston, the tuxedo cat, and Lucky, the tiger stripe, together. They just couldn't resist the flannel sheets this past winter. No box for Winston that day.

Thumbnail by bettydee
Brownstown, IN

Love all of the pics of brugs and furbabies!
This is "Funny Face".

Thumbnail by gardenpaw
Hamilton, OH

what Beautiful fur babies, love it. Thank you, what we do for our babies & Plants

Elizabeth

I like to keep most of my blooming brugs going, and the ones I am sending away I deleaf and cut back, etc. I have a lot of pinkish singles.
it makes me feel good to see something budding or blooming all winter long. Wish I could help you, Veronica, sounds like you need a few "mini me's"

Kitties are all beautiful , I just have my grandfur kittys, and see them not often enough..

Thumbnail by joeswife
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Debra, what's a "mini-me"?

a few more of you, Veronica.. LOL ..you know.. duplication of yourself so you can get more done?
I know this is silly, and maybe off topic, but what is a Brangus? Is that a buffalo mixed with an Angus?
White Knight from Tropicman is finally going to bloom for me.. I have had it for two years.. have nt seen a bloom.. brought it in around September, now we will get to see what it looks like..
this was the 27th... of October..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is White Knight tonight..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GM all sure have missed the chat hope to get back into it as soon as all settles down here i still try to peek in & look see if you have new blooms ;0 daddy is stirring around so gotta go . but will be watching.

susie

Petaluma, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is Lady Kathryn that I received from Jerodsmom.
She also gave me Hazelnut Buttercup - it has pods, but pretty late in the season to see any flowers. Oh well, there's always next year.....

Thumbnail by ShepMike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.