Thanksgiving Swap Chat and Reveal

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Julie, your son is lucky to have a mother that will do everything to keep him in the right track. Just said a prayer that your mother's bp will continue to stabilize.

Had a friend who would soak his fish in milk first (he's from somewhere up North), before he coat it with cornmeal. The fish was deep fried.
We were of course aghast at first, but had to trust him, as he's a cook on one of the off shore barges. The fish was moist, but I won't follow his recipe!!

Got the box out, with DC, so no fear of it being lost.

DC truly works. A friend had sent me a box, but that box stayed in a distribution center for a week, then returned to her. Thank God for the purchased DC, she managed to get a refund on postage.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I have soaked venison in milk prior to cooking to remove the 'wild' taste from it. Maybe that is the idea behind the fish in milk also. To 'tame' the wild flavor.

My Turkey (box) is in the air! I mailed it yesterday. I have the tracking number, but not with me right now.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I always soak my fish in milk before coating, as well as eveything else I fry.. LOL
Gee, I had to take two cans out of my buddies box, they were both a good 12 oz extra weight and part of a recipe.. sorry buddy, I was trying to get all the stuff for my secret recipe to ya..
Made my first batch of old fashioned english toffee a couple days ago, took some to work, and left some here, needless to say,,, I need to make more.. it seemed to dissapear over night! Anyone have a recipe for pumkin cookies?

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I don't put the glaze on mine, but some like it that way.

Pumpkin Cookies
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup canned Pumpkin (I use Libby's)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Glaze (recipe follows)
1/2 cup raisin (optional
1/2 cup nut, pecans walnuts (optional)

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.

BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle Glaze over cookies. (optional)

FOR GLAZE:
COMBINE 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until smooth.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

So, Debra, folks in Kansas do that? Soak their fried stuffs in milk first?
He did that with flounder.

Never had pumpkin cookies. That recipe looks good, LK.

I don't like pumpkin pie, but I love these cookies!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

You may like pumpkin cheese rolls, LK.

Recipe?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

here is the pumpkin roll look hard but easy to do i do not add nuts to the pumpkin cake itself but i do add a few to the cream cheese frosting.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-roll-ii/detail.aspx

have a great day all off to bake .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

We have a small resturant called MaMa's and I use to think I made the best banana bread (rolf, sorry but it is good, I will post the receipe this weekend), but I bought a piece of theirs Wednesday and omg it was amazing. The frosting was amazing also (I don't frost mine).

Those all sound yummy. Gonna have to try them. I don't cook but love to bake, I just feel bad when I do it because DH can't eat it.

My Mom always soaked her chicken in milk over night. She didn't like fish so I don't know what she would of done.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Susie, your recipe is better than the one Libby's put out. Yours don't have ground cloves. It will taste much better.

Joyce, I've soaked chicken pieces in buttermilk to give it a tangy flavor, but not straight milk. Oh.. I got my banana bread today!!

Yep, Thanksgiving has arrived at the Buffkins' house!! Yayyy!!!
Thank you Patti, thank you so much for a wonderful Thanksgiving box. I don't know how Patti did it, but she managed to squeeze so much goodies into one medium flat rate box. And unlike me, she's a meticulous wrapper!
Won't be doing her selection justice if I crammed them all in one pic.
So.. here's the first.

A beautiful table topper!!! Love the cutwork!! Thank you Patti. Reminded me of my mother's sewing skills, she did beautiful cutwork to earn extra cash.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Kitchen towel and pot holder set. A fall theme table cloth, which I need badly! A pair of pumpkin salt and pepper shaker, love the detailed leaves curling over the tops.
A pair of candles, a pair of decorative gourds and my very own "Pilgrim Bears"!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Voila!! More goodies. See that banana nut bread? Am I the lucky one!
I didn't expect that, Patti! I haven't taste it yet as I'm waiting for Kel to leave for work. Nope, not going to share it as I know it's good!
Thank you so much for the socks. With my diabetic feet, socks are my best friends. Nice touch of Christmas there.

Then she also included a couple of instant choco drinks.

If you look hard, kinda disappearing in the background, is a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter.

Patti, I NEED the roasting bag. I won't be doing turkey, as Kel hates turkey, no matter how it's cooked, but I'll be doing oven roast brisket instead. I've been using bags to cook my briskets in.

Thank you so much Patti. I've been living in my pjs lately (thanks LK) and your box has lift my spirits. Again I love everything you sent.

Got some new socks.. banana bread.. chocolate drink for a perfect football Saturday!! I know my Pilgrim Bears will bring my team luck!

Thanks Julie for letting me play!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Jaye, aren't you the lucky one getting all those goodies, and home made banana bread too! If I come over will you share with me?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Just because you take lady like bites LK. Sure!!!
Kel will just gulp down his piece.

Ocean Springs, MS

I am so sorry. My mom is still in the hospital. She is continuing to experience atrial fib daily. The docs have switched her meds and still trying to get her stabilized. Between her, taking care of her plants and animals, and my own things, I barely have time to breath. Mom is in good spirits; really wants to come home. But they have to get things stabilized before they will release her. I hate her having atrial fib. Last year, we had quite a scare when she had one and her heart rate dropped so low it would set off the monitors. Don't want that to happen again.

My dear buddy, your box is going out tomorrow. I finally got things done and just have to put your address on it and mail. I love you all and thank you for being so patient with me.

BTW, some of you have gotten some very nice goodies. Especially, those warm soft socks! Makes me want to come curl up with you and have a hot cup of cocoa!

love, julieanne

Julie, we are sending you lots of prayers for your Mom! Praying she will be allowed to come home for Thanksgiving.

Ocean Springs, MS

Yay! Thank the Lord that Moma got to come home today! She is in good spirits and is looking forward to her visit with me tomorrow morning for coffee. I am going to make pumpkin muffins for her as a surprise! So blessed that she is home.
Buddy, I got your box mailed today! I was one day late and I am sorry. But I hope the goodies are worth the wait.
Has anyone ever planted lettuce (salad) bowls? I am giving a presentation in February on "salad bowls" and would appreciate any advice, links, and suggestions.
I'm going to bed for the night. Sweet dreams and love to all.
Julieanne

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Do window boxes count? I use the $1.79 pkgs of Mesclen mix and plant it in my window boxes about every two weeks. Have it pretty much year round. I like to harvest just before eating, rinse well, pat dry, fill plate, add apples, citrus, or grapes, a few nuts, or sunflower seeds and a basamic drizzle. Grape tomatoes can be used in place of fruit.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

So happy you like your box Jaye! I had so much fun doing it. There are so many neat Thanksgiving things out there I finally had to STOP! lol The only thing that was holding me up was making the BB. My DH eats banana's as quick as I can buy them. I finally had to hide some in a paper bag and let them get soft so I could make the bread. I really hadn't been up do doing baking, but I wanted to add a touch of homemade, so motivated myself and I'm really glad I did. We enjoyed our share of the bread to. ^_^

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Julie, I'm so glad your mum's well enough to come home! Tell her she musn't miss not one day of her medications. You must be relieved.

Patti, your bread is fantastic!! It's not sugary sweet, and it's bad enough plain bananas can spike my blood sugar.
Yep, call me selfish! It's very rare I bake for myself and that's a very thoughtful treat Patti.
Thank you so much for everything!

Julie, so glad to hear your Mom is home! Give her hugs from us please?

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, sweet baby Jaye! Got my box yesterday and I LOVED everything. I have already gotten into the chocolates and my daughter is making the chocolate chip cookies right now. I will post pics later today. God bless you for your thoughtfulness and generosity! love, julieanne

Spent most of yesterday cutting, weedeating, and cleaning Mom's yard. She was out "running the roads" while I did it! LOL

So glad to see everyone getting such yummy goodies.

Mittsy, thanks for the tips on the lettuce bowls. Will try it!

love to all, julieanne

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Julie, that's what the goodies are for, to be enjoyed!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been gone since Thursday morning and came home today to the most wonderful box...make that two...that I could ever imagine! Seriously, I don't think I've ever received a more bountiful mix of goodies and plants and seeds to boot.

Thank you so much, Debra! Ya'll wait til my camera recoups and I post pics of everything Debra shared with me. I just hope I don't leave anything out. It's all good, and I'm truly overwhelmed.

(((Hugs, Julie, for bringing us together and bless your Mom's heart for being home.)))

Quote from heavenscape :
Julie, I'm so glad your mum's well enough to come home! Tell her she musn't miss not one day of her medications. You must be relieved.

Patti, your bread is fantastic!! It's not sugary sweet, and it's bad enough plain bananas can spike my blood sugar.
Yep, call me selfish! It's very rare I bake for myself and that's a very thoughtful treat Patti.
Thank you so much for everything!

Patti, you did good! Julie, I echo Jayes feelings about your Mother.. God Bless you!

Fruity, I am glad you liked everything.. altho I had to remive two cans of stuff for a recipe..sorry!

Good News! My little sister and niece are coming HERE for Thanksgiving! Finally all that is left of my family will be together this year.. so grateful!

I hope it is okay to say.. God is Good

God is good! So glad to hear they will be with you on Thanksgiving!

Fruity, can't wait to see what you got!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh Debra, so excited for you to have the family all together! Great news.

Fruity, I am sure your Mom is happy that you used the quilts. She knew they kept you warm, safe, and happy which is what she wanted.

I honestly don’t know where to begin to show you the “Bountiful Goodness” Debra shared with me so I decided to make groups for the pics.

Beaucoup Seeds – would any package from Debra be complete without them?!
Oh so soft Aloe infused socks.
Tubers and bulbs, including a huge “Apple Blossom” Amaryllis, one I didn’t have.
A Woven basket I decided to line with the Fall-themed dishcloth, dried gourds and other Fall decorations that were included along with the bag of Vanilla potpourri, a Vanilla candle in a jar, and a brick of Scentsy ‘Cinnamon Bear”, what Heavenly scents.
There’s a stack of pots perfect for starting cuttings and an assortment of small jars with lids. I’ve already filled some of them with loose craft items.
A tube of Bert’s Bees lip balm. Ask anybody who’s been around me and they’ll tell you I’m totally addicted to this stuff.

Part two coming up…..

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Next is a Sweet handwritten card, along with Food, Recipes, and Family Traditions that include:
A can of Rotello to make cream cheese dip.
Toffee that’s absolutely delicious.
“Granny’s” Pecan Pie recipe -- double yum
Watergate Salad, which is a very special recipe I’ll treasure that was passed down from Debra’s deceased MIL, Pauline.

A jar of French Vanilla Cappuccino -- yum
2 boxes of Pistachio Jello, nuts, and marshmellows to use in Pauline's Watergate Salad.
Lots of Chocolates, including a Godiva bar and a bag of Lindts.

Oh there’s more…..

3 trivet tiles – Did you paint one of these for me, Debra?
Happy Harvest wooden sign -- haven't decided if I'll use it to decorate our mailbox, hang it inside, or use on a wreath.
"Come Ye Thankful" Pumpkin ornament that will definitely be hung on our Christmas tree.
A decorative rock that says Welcome and has a stained glass butterfly and painted flowers, I’ve already placed it in my garden.
“Home Sweet Home” Primitive Wooden Doll --- love her, she’s precious holding a pumpkin.
A wall plaque for our bathroom.
Magazines and a Holiday Cookbook newspaper from Wichita.

And to get ready for Christmas, there’s even a Santa box ornament.

I don’t know where to begin to thank you enough, Debra. I just love it all and you too! I’ll think of you when I fix your recipes, see my decorations from year to year, and eventually have blooms from the seeds and bulbs you shared. You were far too generous! And you were worried about leaving out a jar of cherries….GEEZ!

I am glad the things arrived unbroken, I was worried about those tiles.. a lot.. I painted one, the other was my inspiration, and hopefully I sent the blank one for you to "play" with ..
The little round bulb with some green showing is a red spider lilly..and the skinny reddish thing is a canna australious from Rita in the Tropical forum, was one of the first things I was sent when I first came here.. it has grown so much I had to divide it.

I came home from a grueling day at work to two good things..

college girl made some choc chip pumkin cookies and some homemade amish wheat bread.. she loves to bake..

Joe had a heart dye stress test today as he just announced to me Friday he went to his doctor because he has been having chest pains and weird heart beats for a few months? Gosh, he coulda told me sooner.. anyway, no immediate problems, and they couldn't find any blockage and his lungs looked good, so even tho the radiaologists are looking at it, I am sure it was just air bubbles he was feeling...

the best part of today was a box from Julie.. she really made me smile when I pened it up, Joe in his recliner watching me like a little kid from christmas morning..

Can't wait to try her wonderful muffins and the recipe/tradition book was amazing. such detail and love put in that recipe book..
Joe wouldn't let go of the foodnetwork magazine, he was really enjoying it before I could even look at it..he still had it when I took this picture..
love the plates, napkins and cups, will use them this week..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, you really know how to pack a box of goodies, WOW! Enjoy the hand painted items from her!

Julie, love all you sent to Debra too!

Lots of nice goodies arriving!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!! There's a lot of love that went into your box Susan.
Debra's always been a very generous and creative swapper.
Those toffees caught my eye and I bet they won't last long! When you're tired of that doll, you can donate it to me ;)
It's not only you that's addicted to Bert's Bee Lip Balm, our little Chi cries each time she sees DH applying it to his lips. He had to smear some on hers too, of course with his fingers.

Debra, I just said a prayer that all will be well with your DH. You have a very intelligent man who seeks a doctor's care immediately, unlike so many who'd wait till it's too late. Why do most men hate doctors?
Nice gifts there you have from Julie.

There is the cutest little exotic angel arow head pinkish plant with the goodies Julie sent, am going to put it by the mosaic rock on my desk here..

we were blessed with a half inch rain last nite..

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Debra, I'm glad you named out that plant! I thought it was a pink sweet potato vine. Was wondering where Julie found it at this time of the year!!

Rain is expected on Thanksgiving. It's in the high 70s here. Blessed not to have snow!

supposed to be in 60's here thanksgiving day, I am going to plant the bulbs Julie sent me, since I didn't get any bulbs set in this year,,, so glad she sent some..

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Afternoon everyone I Rec'd a wonder Thanksgiving box fromt I Believe IRISLUVR / DEBBIE Well IND Didn't reconize the last name on the box & There was No Card inside so forgive me if I;m Wrong My Head is in a tail spin with daddy being so sick right now.

anyway just wanted to let ya all know I Rec'd a
BEST OF THE BEST FROM INDIANA "COOKBOOK"
3 RECIPES FOR : DIRT PUDDING , RED VELVET BALLS, & SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE ALL SOUND WONDERFUL & HOPE TO TRY THEM .
6 VERY PRETTY FALL LEAF NAPKIN RINGS
2 FALL POT HOLDERS OR HOT PADS
3 PKS OF MINI GOURDS & TURKEY
COFFEE A HOLIDAY BLEND WITCH I WILL BE TRYING IN THE MORNING

Thumbnail by deejay9
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes.....it is from me! Sorry I forgot the card! Found it after I had taken the box to the PO! Hope you like everything.....!

So sorry to hear you daddy is so sick.....will keep you both in my prayers.

Debbie

This message was edited Nov 23, 2011 4:50 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.