Thanksgiving Swap Chat and Reveal

Ocean Springs, MS

New thread for Thanksgiving Swap and Reveal. Please try to mail by November 17. If that's a problem, please let me know.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/

Suggestions: (Please check the previous thread for your particular swap buddies wants/likes/dislikes, etc.)
1. No more than $20.00 plus postage
2. Include 2 or 3 recipes that you traditionally cook for Thanksgiving (you could even include the ingredients and a baking pan for one of the recipes)
3. If your buddy says its okay, send plates, napkins, tablecloth, etc. for their dinner
4. Send at least one small plant that is fall-themed (orange, red, yellow,etc.) or some bulbs that will bloom next spring
5. Send an explanation of a tradition that your family does every year
6. Send 2 or 3 packs of seeds that are fall-colored
7. Send a box of chocolates or some other sweet treat that your buddy may like
8. send a small harvest wreath or a craft idea with supplies to make the Thanksgiving/harvest craft
9. a fall/harvest scented candle or potpourri
10. send gourds or other natural decorations

love, julie

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 10:54 AM

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Got my spot!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Did a little shopping today and didn't get a lot but I did come home with some very good ideas. I've also discovered that Autumn has a definate scent of pumpkin, cider and spice. I stopped by the post office to pick up stamps and mail out a little something as a housewarming gift. I picked up a couple of priority boxes. I don't want to purchase anything too big for the boxes available.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

While at a craft fair earlier this month, I picked up a couple of goodies and looks like they're going to work well for my Buddy. Guess I should start working on recipes.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

whew I found you! LOL

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm here for a minute off to shop soon
susie

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

There was a festival in town this past weekend, and I missed it. Could have found something there.

Well then, to my buddy:
Don't sweat over what you'll get me. As I had said, only thing I'll cringe from is the color Pink. IF it's live plant or bulbs that produce pink flowers, that's okay.. as it's natural.
I'm sure all knew here that I'm diabetic. It's okay for me to receive regular desserts, as I'll just take extra insulin :D

You all have a good day!

My least favorite color inside or out used to be shades of Orange but I absolutely adore them now and take cues from Nature too, Jaybird.

Our leaves are just stunning in warm shades of Orange, Yellow, Bronze and dark Reds. If only these temps would hold with days in the 70's and nights in the 40's I'd be a happy camper year-round with the windows open and the heat pump off. The week-end is going to be downright nippy and wouldn't be surprised if hubby builds a fire.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Ocean Springs, MS

OMG! That picture looks like a little slice of heaven!

Already picked up a couple of things for my buddy, but I want to send something homemade.So, I still have some shopping to do to get the things I need. You all have a good night. I'm off to Trais' football game at 8.

love, julieanne

Just waiting a bit before I bake something to include in my box. To my swap partner, just letting you know that we are leaving NY on the 16th of November. We're snowbirds traveling on to Cocoa Beach. Several stops along the way, won't reach CB until after Thanksgiving.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Susan, the colors are mundane brown around here, with glimpses of orange.
Wish we are doing a road trip to the mountains where fall's majestic beauty is displayed.

Julie, how's your voice? After a football game, mine is always hoarse :D

Have a safe trip Mittsy!

Most of our leaves have blown off the trees. Lots of wind and rain here. SNOW is predicted for Thursday.

Ours will probably be brown to nil after the projected winds and rains move in tomorrow, Jaye.

Snow, Mittsy? No wonder you can't wait to head South. Looks like Colorado got a pretty good blitzing today. Certainly not my idea of Fall and don't care if it's January before we see the white stuff.

I shopped a bit more for my Buddy this afternoon and found a couple of cool Autumn goodies to go with those already in her box. It's filling up nicely but still need a dedicated trip to pick out just the right craft item or project. Hope to do that Saturday if not before.

gorgeous picture, Fruity.
SNOW?? ugh!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-photography-contest/
Link for the photo contest.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

It's calling for 60s temps and I have the air conditioner on!!!!
This is crazeeeee... instead it's in the 80s.
I left the house this morning, wearing long sleeves and return home sweating from the truck to the front door!

BUT, I'll take the heat.. can't tolerate snow!

My son in Amarillo has 4-6 inches of snow in the ground today. That is too cold for these old bones!

I bought craft supplies today before grocery shopping and know what I want to make for my Buddy. Now the trick is getting it to turn out like the vision in my head. Although my head and hands don't always cooperate with each other, so we shall see.

While I was gone, a neighbor came and helped Hubby with a load of wood they stacked on our utility trailer and parked it next to the back door. Knowing me with the chilly rainy mornings we're supposed to have this week-end down in the 30's, a fire in the wood stove will feel pretty good. Last year we didn't have our first fire until about the middle of November.

Is that unusual, LK?

It is for this time of year. They usually get a few inches of snow, but not till later in the year!

When Fort Worth gets a scant 1-2" of snow, my SIL calls all excited like a kid at Christmas. Course that's not til...hmmm December at the earliest.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

LK, We use to live in Hereford. Son was born in Canyon. We went to Amarillo every week to go bowling. ^_^ Course, that was when I was in my 20's. One thing I missed while there was snow, so when I heard about the snow in Amarillo I knew that was so unusual!!!!! When I lived in Colorado my daughter came to visit in October. It was snowing pretty good as we crossed the divide and she kept saying "this just isn't right, this just isn't right" ..... LOL We might get some flurries or dustings in late October in SE Kansas, but not all out snow. The earliest I remember is 10/22 and it was just flurries.

This was his yard yesterday afternoon! All he wanted to do is go find a parking lot to do donuts in!

Thumbnail by taters55
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

LOL!!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL.. he is still a kid at heart, LK!!!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

A box came in the mail yesterday and I didn't even give it a thought that I could be receiving my Thanksgiving surprises from my swap buddy! I was expecting a box with plants so I didn't open it right away because we were heading out the door to work at my mom's house. I just got back and opened the box and WOWSER! What surprises were in that box! It wasn't the plants I was expecting! LOL! Thank you so much Susie/Deejay! (Suffice to say 3 of the pumpkin bars have been eaten without the cream cheese frosting! My DS, DH and I ate one each before we even found the frosting! LOL!)

This is what was in my box.....picture posted too!

Oven mitt and potholder (I will definitely use this on Thanksgiving Day!)
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Book "Gifts for Giving"
Container with Homemade Peanut Brittle with recipe (Susie's brother made this)
Container with Homemade Pumpkin Bars with can of Cream Cheese frosting (made by Susie)
bag of Coffee Cake & Spice Potpourri
Potpourri Refresher - Tuscany Fields
Soft fuzzy slippersocks (my favorite slipper)
20" scarecrow for decoration
Martha White Cheddar Garlic Biscuit mix
Turkey Gravy mix
Nobake Cheese Cake mix with can of Cherry Pie Filling for topping
Gold Glass Turkey votive holder
package of Apple Recipe Cards
Apple Cookie Cutter with recipe for Apple Cookies
Annie B Carmels
baggie of mixed zinnia seeds from Susie's garden
9X12 container with a handle (a lot of items were packed in it)

Thank you so much Susie! I will use everything for our dinner Thanksgiving Day! Except for the pumpkin bars which won't make it much past tomorrow!

Debbie

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252

awsome!Debbie! Susie is great, isn't she?

Wow, look at all those goodies you got! Great box of goodies from Susie!

My box went out yesterday. It should be there Monday.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 6:06 AM

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, those pumpkin bars sound yummy! Great box, irisluvr, and gracious giving on your part Susie! You girls are so generous! having a halloween party for the kids tonight so I gotta get moving on to spooky things! love you all, julie

afternoon everyone Debbie so glade you like I Have told many of you That I Have a a HUGE Plastic tub Filled with Gooodies that I Get On Sale After the HOLIDAYS 50%-70% off sales Best time to buy for the next year Like those Cake carriers I Bought 5 for they were only marked as $1 ea rack price was $6.97 no not trying to be cheap hear but they are nice to carries cookies & Cakes to special Occassion or even to store your over due bills into :) hehe .
same with the Turkey Votas they were on sale for .25 ea but they also work well as Toothpick holder for the guess.
I love cookie cutters but i will never be able to use all the ones i bought on sale & no will not tell yet for we have a xmas swap coming up so thats all Folk :)) Just happy you like :) & all arrived UNBROKEN :)
Did I Send the recipe for the Pumpkin Bars ? if Not I Will.

well back in with daddy Jim went after more of their things so back on later tonight .
susie

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes! You did send the recipe for the Pumpkin Bars AND the Peanut Brittle! DH loves both! (so do I!) He keeps asking "can I have another one of those pumpkin bars?"
I love everything and nothing was broken! You did an awesome job packing! Thanks again!

We may be back to square one with my mom's house :( The buyer decided to do an inspection on the septic system and had a guy check it out. They made huge holes in the yard and came to the conclusion that it was a finger system and 'encroaches' on the other property we have (my grandparents place). Well it isn't a finger system and after the septic tank, there is a tile line that goes to the back of the 7 acre property and joins the other properties along the county road and they all drain together across another neighbor's property. He wants an additional $5000 off the already $20,000 low bid that we accepted (cause it was a cash offer) and we will not go any lower. So the ball is back in his court and he will probably back out.

Everyone please say prayers that he doesn't back out and goes through with the sale!

I'm tired and I'm on my way to just watch TV and probably fall to sleep very soon!

Debbie

What a sweet box of goodies, Debbie. Gotta say I'm partial to the Scarecrow and how appropriate the cookbook is named "Gifts for Giving". That was a special twist on Thanksgiving, Susie. You sure were the early bird. I finished my craft project today and won't be far behind you mailing to my Buddy.

Debbie, if you know it isn't a finger septic system, you're doing the right thing standing your ground. Laws vary from state to state, but you should be able to prove your point going by County records or a Deed.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Debbie, I know that is so disappointing. Went thru that with my Mom's house and just an emotional roller coaster. When we built our house we had the spetic people out showed them where the property line ended, came home from work and the spetic tank sit out in the neighbors field, luckily nothing was in the field, So they had to move the whole thing, this time we stayed there to watch because DH just knew they were going to hurry thru it....

Ocean Springs, MS

prayers for you, Debbie!

I was informed that someone's box is being mailed tomorrow! I feel like I'm slacking because I still need to do some shopping, but got to wait till I get my check on Nov. 1! Will be shopping after that, though!

love to all, julie

My buddy is either going to love the craft item I made for her or won't be able to wait and set in on fire...lol

The Nor'easter that brought early snows to the higher elevations of VA and WV over the week-end and traveled up the East Coast by-passed us, we just had two days of cold rain. Today the sun was shining and the high was in the mid-40's.

A neighbor brought me a Pumpkin today that she grew from a seed and it still had frost on it. No kidding....Frost on the Pumpkin. We've had a fire in our wood stove since Friday and have to admit the heat feels pretty darn good.

my box goes out today.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN....BOOOOOO!

We are still warming up every few days...yeah! High 60's today high 70's tomorrow like 78 or something. Yes we do have stupid weather, frost last night...rofl.

Fruity glad you didn't get all that snow, it is awful to see all those pictures of those trees! Can't imagine anyone burning something you made!

Ok, you guys scared me I thought I was late again...rofl. I found some cool stuff on sale, love sales.....

Thumbnail by happgarden

OMG I just got the biggest box in history....holey moley girl!
I just have a sec back out the door to drive 1hr 20min to go trick or treating with DGD.
It is from Linda Kay, you guys wait until you see this thing..... ;) ;) ;)

Years ago when the neighborhood kids were small, we used to get lots of trick or treaters but haven't had a single one in at least three years. Schools, malls, and trick or trunk events have taken precedence over door-to-door for the little beggars around here and expect it's a safer way for them, not to mention parents and grandparents don't have to worry so much.

trick or trunk events :) Love that saying Fruit just 3 of the little beggars last night just our little zoie & her 2 little friends .
nice cool fall day here so time to roll up the hoses for the year , you all have a great day will check back later today .
susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.