What's happening in YOUR neck of the woods-chat with friends

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I like the EASY button at Staples.
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL Ann!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

OOOOOOooooooooo .. another one of those MUST HAVES LoL !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I was offered an Easy Button by a co-worker (she had it on her desk and I admired it, on my birthday). I said "no, thank you very much" and maybe I should have taken it LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Those commercials are soo funny...brrr it's cold out there..first day I shut off air and am thinking of putting on the heater!! Wind is up but rain has stopped ..

Can tell I'm getting older, these trips I do all the driving almost does me in..will take all week to wake up

"M" how did the morphine work last night? After my MRI I got to ay I don't blame you..didn't think it would bother me but it did big time..

Susan do you think they are bright enough at your old job to acknowledge what they have asked you to do is a bit much after how they treated you? Hope they at least send you a cheque.

Carol, love the photo's!! Cannot believe you had to pay for them..no wonder there is a shortage of volunteers.

Laying here on the couch, tired, trying to decide if I want to take a panel out. That I was painting for closet door or go to bed early..think 2nd option will win out!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - they are Not bright enough (I hate to put down people, but frankly - and I'm being brutally honest with myself, too - they were disrespecting me the more I did for them) and I'll have to keep on them to get the cheque (or at least the confirmation that they are sending a cheque because it takes time through AP to send it).

Today I'm making Speedy Split Pea Soup with Bacon! Never made it before, and it calls for bay leaves and rosemary. I know you remove the bay leaves (even though they don't say to), but the rosemary is little sticks - do I remove the rosemary too, or will it soften up enough to leave it in?

Hope 'early to bed' won out Betty .. what I would not give to be able to slide into bed and curl up and sleep I sure am missing it ..
The Morphine was not effective .. I took ONE tablet, my doc says I can take 2, but, I will only take 2 if I am not busy the next morning .. so .. looks as though this will be the night as I only have a physio assessment booked and it's for 3pm.
Sleeping sitting up on the Love Seat is starting to become common place .. I do waken and try to go back to bed, but, within half an hour my shoulder is yelling at me .. all I can say is .. 'Bring on the physio' !!

Susan .. re the rosemary .. I think perhaps the sticklettes should be removed .. unless of course they did soften up.

GORGEOUS day here .. about 20C with a slight wind .. got to sit outside for a few hours and enjoy it :-)

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Feel so bad for you "M"' must be difficult to get through a day in such pain! Let's hope physio works!

Trying to stay up just a little longer, if I don't I'll sleepuntil midnight then up I'll be.

I usually put my spices in spice bag Susan that way you just take it out so not sure ..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

OH - Betty, what a great idea. hmmmm should get a spice bag :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is a sad day here.
Yesterday got a phone call to say the gal I trained and worked with for 20 years had died. She had breast cancer treated last year which I did not know about and after a few months it returned ferosciouslly ( darn cant spell that!) and invaded everywhere in her body. She was about 55 years, single mom ,two young adult kids one of them still living at home .

Last evening a call from a foster family, the dog we have been looking after as an emergency foster ( lady left abusive situation) started to throw up and behave oddly, waited overnight, still same, to vet first thing this morning, no idea what is wrong everything from infection to you name it, no chance to really know without doing further tests. Owner is now up north a ways trying to get her life sorted out , talks on the phone, she has no money for anything so asked to euthanise the dog. He is a sweetie, 13 years old, going blind and deaf. Vet and foster mom and I chatted to see what was the least we could at least try and with owners consent left at vet for 24 hours IV as he was severely dehydrated and high temp. Rescue group will pay cost.
I went in to see him just before they closed this afternoon and I would say he was in a coma, had definitely gone down hill as he had been able to walk in the morning.Did not even respond when I petted him or the vet tech cleaned him up after diarhhea. Vet said he will check on him late this evening, otherwise he will alone overnight, I felt bad about that but really not much choice except to send him on his way over the bridge. I really doubt he will survive the night. We will never know what was wrong but probably something that has been happening for a long time and suddenly the symptoms show. Like a slow growing cancer. Sad !

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh Carol - sad day, indeed! So young at 55 to have passed from anything, and cancer - Prayers for all who knew her, and her family.
And the poor little sheltie...... you're doing the best you can. Really a difficult thing to go through, I'm sure. Morning will tell if he's passed, if there's something that can be done, or if he's to go over the bridge with help.
((((Carol))))

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Arm wraps Carol, What a difficult day you had. Hopefully she wasn't in pain for long..

Your rescue group should be commended for the extra mile you take with your rescues..waiting to hear news this morning of her condition!

My gosh, such sad times for you Carol. My condolences as well as my prayers for the recovery, or, painless passing of the rescued Sheltie.

In the past week we have lost a dear friend at the age of 58 to brain cancer, and, another friends Mom passed away suddenly down east( she was elderly, but, not a frail senior)

Betty .. downright cool in the house this morning. Kept the doors and windows open for the night .. close everything up around 8am to keep the cool air in .. seems kind of dreary outside .. maybe some MUCH needed rain will arrive.

Took the 2 tabs of Morphine .. no go .. was up before midnight, back to bed at 2am, back up at 4am .. to bed again at 5am and plan to STAY up now .. going to be a long day .. physio assessment is at 3pm .. meeting to attend tonight .. I think perhaps one day my body will simply rally and tell my shoulder to BACK OFF !!! Nice thought ^_^

Off to make a cup of tea ..

Have a fine day

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rascal update: much to everyones surprise when the staff arrived this morning at 8 AM he was awake and actually got up and went outside to pee! He is not out of the woods yet but vet believes we have a treatable situation (haemorhagic gastroenteritis) so will continue IV fluids and antibiotics for the day, give him something to stop vomiting and see if he will eat. Next update this afternoon!

Victoria Harbour, ON

OH wow, double wow, quite the fighter..sure must have made your day hearing such news!!!
Let's hope he's on the mend...

"M" sending armwraps, how horrible that you are only able to get a few winks at a time..
let's hope something comes of your afternoon apt.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Wonderful news indeed, Carol! So glad it's treatable. Rascal must have felt so much better just to go for a pee!! Will wait for your next update! Here's hoping he will eat something and keep it down.

Marilyn - Maybe you'll get to sleep in the Dr's waiting room? Always works for me..... (Body - tell Marilyn's shoulder to Back Off and not go into her back!!)

Just back from an interview with an agency for Shell Canada. There are 2 positions, both "up in the air", and I sent her 4 glowing reference letters. She should hear today or tomorrow if they are accepting more applicants for these positions. I'll let you know when I do.
The other position I interviewed for July 21 - they've 2nd interviewed someone else, and there are 4 of us that got a 1st interview. This doesn't sound promising for me.

WOO HOO for Rascal :-) Fingers crossed he recovers ..

Fingers also crossed for you Susan and the job search .. maddening sometimes, actually MOST of the time ..

Thanks for the hugs Betty .. anxiously awaiting my assessment this aft .

Sharing pics of the Hibiscus .. UNREAL .. and a month ago I thought it dead !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Will just share 2, I went kinda nuts with taking pics of it LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's mine, that I thought was dead, and it's reviving - slowly....... Red hibiscus :-)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh my! came on today and was wammy'd with all this pain. May my airwaves hugs get to you all!
Carol what the heck is haemorhagic gastroenteritis? Sad news about your friend , 55 is way too early.
'M' I hope you get some relief, ongoing pain is very nasty. My DH has a similar problem and feels better when he is having his arm tight to his side.
Super photo's of the Hybiscus's

Got some new Parrott Liliies growning that are spectacular, will get some photo's posted to show you all.
Bye for now.
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a hibby that I picked up the other day - HD has 'em on sale :-)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ann Google it! HGI( correct spelling hemorrhagic-had to look that one up!) - occurs only in dogs apparently, don't know cause, multiple possibilities, comes on very suddenly, if not treated quickly the dogs can die. If treated appropriately they fully recover but can have it again. Sounds like it is not very common. Apparently at one point his temp was up to 42 which means he was at risk to start seizing. The techs had him on a bed of ice and covered with ice to reduce temp!

Update: just talked to vet, no further progress and there are signs of other concerns with kidney.We will give him one more night of IV fluids and if there is no improvement in the morning we will have to let him go.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 2:49 PM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
I know that you will do right by him and I just know he is in the best hands possible. So I wish him an easy journey which ever way that takes him.

I usually do google but I am at work and just pop in quickly, it sure looked like a mouthfull of information in those two words.

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Annabell, don't think I ever saw parrot lilies, will have to google to see what they look like!

Carol, was so hoping he was on the mend..after tonight it will be in the Lord's hands , you and your group certainly have done all you could.

Susan, best of luck, you are bound to find employment soon seeing you are getting so many interviews.

Just love the hubby's...I've got a rose of Sharon blooming, same family I think..not large flowers but flowers none the less.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

"so many interviews" I had one on the 21st of July, and one this morning - August 11th.
I talk about them alot, just don't have many LOL It's positive reinforcement for me that I will have something come of them. Only problem is, the more I talk about it, the fewer good things happen. I'm not kidding - when some job seems like a "sure thing", I start to talk about it and it goes away!! I should keep my mouth shut LOL (yeah, right, like That's ever going to happen) ROFLMFAO

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, know how many you've had but in this market with few hiring it's an achievement to get an interview!!

"M" hope you've had a good night of sleep.

Don't think they are calling for much of a weekend, guess I'll get caught up with inside housework..want to change the bedroom a bit, bought new bed covering, going a bit off country..it's white/black and tan..not so sure about all the white in the set, think I'll have to close the bedroom door to keep furries off the bed. Should wash down all the walls as well..wish I had a bit more energy, room is the palest yellow would like to paint beige/tan..anyone not doing something this weekend who might want to come help me do one of those weekend makeovers??

Meteor showers tonight..hope I remember to watch for them..

Hiya .. Betty .. I'll come help you 'shut the bedroom door' LoL
The bed set sounds nice though .. at least twice a week I 'get a hankerin' to paint the bedroom, but, it'd be tough .. LARGE furniture ... one of these days !!

Assessment session yesterday was a bit OUCHIE .. Loved the 20 min hot pack though .. they use a MOIST heat as opposed to my heating pad .. works well .. may have to invest. So .. I am looking at 12 weeks of physio, 3 times a week plus exercises at home 3 times a day. It's when you do these home exercises that you realize how long 3 minutes can be !!
Therapist is hoping they'll get me to a level where I can function better .. but .. he mentioned 'arthroscopic surgery' might be the only REAL way to fix the problem .. really going to have to hope THAT does not happen .. I totally do NOT want any invasive procedures !!!
I slept 6 hours 'in a row' last night !! Ultra sound booked for this afternoon .. all in all .. I feel very POSITIVE about this.

Susan .. Betty is correct .. with the amounts of apps rec'd for jobs, and interview is a MAJOR kudo .. I wish you all the best.

Carol, what can one say .. my thoughts are with all concerned. A loss of life is always a sad thing, but, sometimes there is no recourse.

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Let's hope "M" that the therapy does work..6 hours is a good start! If you were here "M" you could sit on the bed and urge me on, sometimes that's all that is needed. Think I'd start if I could walk in a wallpaper store, go through designs, but that's a thing of the past..ordering and waiting a week or two doesn't interest me. Not sure if Home Depot has rolls of trim..don't want to do the entire wall in bedroom just a nice trim..

Just took my car in, been losing fluid, not sure if it's the lines, the rad or if it's losing it through the engine..if it's the latter I'll not be buying anything. So here I wait on pins and needles to see what the cost of repair will be..Have 153,000 kil so even cutting close to extended warrantee BUT what needs repair isn't covered.

Sunny day today, average tomorrow and rain for Sunday...you sure can feel fall in the air! Who would have thunk it..lol..that it would come so quickly!

Good news that Bombadier is back to work, bad time for them to be going on strike.

Carol, any news this morning?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Vet staff does not come in until 8AM - will go to visit with him after that.

Going rafting this afternoon so need to get this decided this morning. Also it is Friday so if we are to continue to help him the foster family will have to take him home - dont think that will work either.

More later

Victoria Harbour, ON

Rafting???? you are brave!

Must be heartbreaking to foster these dogs and have this happen..just like one of your own.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well the foster family and I spent a long time with Rascal this morning and pretty much came to the conclusion we should let him go, then the vet arrived to examine and guess what- some good signs- temp down to absolutely normal heart rate down, no pain when pressing on abdomen, gums looking better, blink response to stim, sure responded when vet put thermometer in rectum!
So perhaps the treatment is working and we have elected to take him home ( to fosters) on oral meds and see how things go. But he is still not out of the woods.

Victoria Harbour, ON

He's a fighter for sure Carol..amazing, they seem to know don't they..
Mom is waiting for news of biopsy on Rocky's leg..after spending $15,000 for cancel treatment not more than 3 months ago she's expecting the worse today..at some point I think you have to stop with treatment, it's to no avail...if they had done anything I would have said it should have been to remove the leg as cancer was in lower part of his foot. Hate to answer the telephone tonight!

did you go rafting yet?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

glad that Rascal is doing well, Carol!! You likely won't see this post until you return from rafting - good luck on That btw - looking forward to hearing how that goes. Where will the rafting be? Bob & I need to "wet the head" of our raft, too...... will it be the Bow River/Fish Creek park?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - any word on your mom?

Hope all the ill furries are 'out of the woods' ..

Not going to say much because I am fed up with our Health Care system.
Left here just passed 1pm .. had a couple of stops to make.
Got to the Medical Centre at 2:35pm .. went in .. went to the bathroom .. went into the reception area, handed the recptionist the requisition .. she said " OH !! We called you just passed one to tell you the appt is cancelled because the tech is sick"! 'Sorry' !!
I was speechless .. have been waiting for this appt for THREE MONTHS !!!
Now I'm booked next week on Lorna's BDay (17) at 4:15 .. it was either that or a week more ..
I just wanted it OVER and some results !!
I sure don't live just a couple of blocks away either ! I would have thought there would be another tech on call ?
Guess it'll all boil down to 'who is on holidays'.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Very upsetting for sure "M"' you would think they could have called earlier than just a few hours before appointment! You have to wonder don't you if they had an appointment for the 17th how much earlier you could have gotten in.

Frustrating especially as you've been in so much pain!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ how frustrating! Surely they knew the tech was sick before 1? Or perhaps they went home about then....... anyway, they should have another tech as backfill! And for you to wait 3 months for the app't and then not get it! Here's hoping everything going smoothly now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rafting trip was fun- down the Kananaskis River. . Rascal doing OK. Susan thanks for the call - I am too tired to talk. Will tell all tomorrow! Had supper, sat down and napped, guess I might as well go to bed!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

say, Carol - is there fishing on the Kananaskis River? Bob wants to take a picnic/fishing trip tomorrow, and I'm going to check to see how far it is - Kananaskis is likely only 1 hour from my house......
So glad Rascal is doing ok!! What a shock this has been for you - happened so quickly and just as quickly "Rascal doing OK" !

Good luck with your picnic/fishing trip Susan ..
I haven't been rafting (called TUBING) here in years .. sure was fun though. There were about 6 great huge black inner tubes lashed together .. you sit in the hole in the middle, the providing business (River Rat Rentals) pushed you off up river, and the tubes meandered along for about an hour or more back to home base. You could stop the tubes to swim or fish .. it was fun, altho, I got a bad sunburn one time .. no sunscreen , no hat !!

Not much sleep again tonight .. going to give the 'sleeping sitting up' another go.
Still so angry re the ultra sound appt.

TTFN

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.