What's happening in YOUR neck of the woods-chat with friends

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A brief storm passed thru about half hour ago- lots of noise, heavy rain and hail but not as much as the last time thank goodness. Sassy gets quite upset by the noise but won't let me hold her, I sat in the rocker in the kitchen window and suddenly there was a great rainbow in the south - still raining hard at my house!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oooooooh didn't see the rainbow, Carol - but sure heard the sudden storm! Bob saw a lightening flash in the house (kept my computer off!) - Boom, Boom! indeed!
Well, it's been a long day, so I'm going to head off to sleep - Bob's watching Rambo#3, so I leave him to it.......
brrrrrrr only 9c now........

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Our rain/storm, again went south under Thunder Bay and out across the lake.

Watched 'Steel Magnolias' last night .. love that movie even if it is sad ..

Another night of an hour here and a few minutes there of sleep ... weary !!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

oooh not good the not sleeping "M"...

looked like we might get rain but passed us by..lots to do this weekend outside with company coming so let's hope it doesn't rain..

Can't resist...

just too cute NOT to post

http://www.wimp.com/babymoose

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow not sure I'd want that big Mama in my back yard!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh, but aren't those babies looking cute gamboling around! Makes me think of baby lambs.... just bigger lol
and the mother vnudging them into play LOL

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 9:05 AM

Awwww ... sweet .. such an innocent calf, but, Momma is a force to be reckoned with and that's for sure!!

Re me and sleep .. somehow I think my years of working midnites semi prepared me for this life event I am dealing with .. yes i miss the sleep, but it seems I am able to get by on 4 hours a night with the occasional 6 thrown in.
Met a colleague today who has had the shoulder surgery ... she went kind of ashen when i told her I might have to have it. She was laid up for 6 months following !! Now mind you.. she had a 'ripped rotator cuff' I have an impingement .. so my surgery (were I to go for it) would be minimally invasive as opposed to hers.

Was in town early .. dropped off the car for the tint thing, and now await a call to say it's all done.

HOT here .. AC is on .. we did have a thunderstorm warning, but, it's gone now.

TTFN ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ - as your "surgery-if-you-have-it" would be less invasive, yes you would need less of a lay-up. However, that being said, you're a different person than your friend, so you may need even less lay-up, depending on how strong that area is. If you are used to doing physical exercise then you may have more muscle buildup and this would help.
Like my mom, when she broke her wrist - she used to play the piano to stretch the muscles afterwards and it healed faster than the Dr thought it would.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Seems girls the storm is brewing in your neck of the woods..did check weather station for my area and are calling for 30 - 40% rain on both Sat. & Sun. Lots to keep me busy inside should that happen!

So many variable with regards to similar operations re healing process "M", you will know when the time comes and you cannot endure the pain and the sleepless nights..I also can survive on 6 hrs and do quite well, my problem is if I decide I need 8 hrs. then it's on to 10 hrs. + that my body needs.

Went out and sat at picnic area and it is extremely hot..

Keep watching the clock, 55 minutes left and then 1 week off..how exciting is that? l

I'll stay in town and run a few errands so I'll not have to come back.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Waving, lazy today, up early, did some painting then into town...just got home and Greg dropped in..nice going on motorcycle with him for a bit..these spiders are awesome..will post photo if I ever get off the couch. Took a few painkillers so am mello and lazy at same time...should really make use of the evening rather than doing nothing..

Storm didn't stay long ..let's hope this is all the rain we'll get this weekend..company comesMonday, would like to do a bit of garden clean up before they arrive..can't wait to meet Barb

What are you all doing today?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow, talk about torrential rain, boomers and light show..feel badly for neighbors who were having annual BBQ..about 60 now looking for shelter..warning came over weather app on I-pad

Rainfall Warning
Issued at Saturday, 20 August, 2011 6:00 PM

Local rainfall of 50 to 75 mm this evening. Slow moving thunderstorms are east of Lake Huron and moving east. These thunderstorms are expected to produce significant rain amounts. Local amounts of 50 to 75 mm in about 3 hours or less are possible.

Let's hope it doesn't reach your neck of the woods.

Can you say DELUGE !!!!!!!!! WOW Betty .. hope there is no flash flooding anywhere.
Betcha you got the storm we were to have gotten yesterday that slipped right on by.
Sure hope your back starts to feel better before Monday !!

SPIDERS!! What kind of SPIDERS ? Lordy I detest those insidious things .. I now, I know, they kill bad bugs yadda yadda .. but there seems to be a proliferation of some 'NOT so nice ones' around .. know several folks who have been bitten and run into some real problems with infection.

A gorgeous day here .. 23C and sunny .. was able to hang out laundry (with help) .. play with the dogs and just enjoy the lack of humidity and reasonable temps ..

Shoulder is 'so/so' today .. still keeps me up

Off to watch a movie

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ Spider is a type of motorcycle....

Victoria Harbour, ON

That it is..not fond of motorcycles but this one I could enjoy..

Just walking doing groceries this morning I could barely stand the pain..thought I'd give it a day of rest so that I'm able to enjoy my week.
Pain killers work well for me!

Trees are just a blowing, rain has stopped for now or it's moved on..hope so!

Hope you are watching a good movie..watched a few good ones today as well, thank goodness for tvwhen you arent moving around!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

What movies, Betty?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty, I think the rain gets to Ottawa tomorrow too. Although with a bit of luck it will go mostly south of us. Had a great day with our grand-twins, Amy & Nolan (age 9) at Upper Canada Village. http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/tourvil.htm It's about an hour away from us - even closer to where they live. For those who don't know it, the original buildings in the village were all salvaged from to be flooded communities when the St. Lawrence Seaway was built in the late 1950s. It's a great look back in history to the way things were done in the mid-1800s.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Not looking the greatest out there, more rumbling in the distance so ithe storm isn't ready to move your way yet! It did rain heavily but not as bad as they were calling for, but the day is young. Of course I left weed whackin for today..might not get done but there is always odds/sods to do inside!

ViolaAnn glad a good time was had by all..will have to do the tour when next I head your way! We have set Marie among the Hurons down the street...replica next to Martyrs Shrine and it's a quaint place to take visitors and young ones especially love each cabin having inhabitants reliving the past. So many activities..making flour from grains, candles, primitive game items, iron works etc. If you are ever in the area it would be a good place to take the children.

Well, best I get mobile just incase the sun comes out for an hour or so...

a SPIDER is a motorcycle !! Whodda thunk it LoL

Sounds as though we all have our 'Historic' settlements to visit with visitors. In Thunder Bay it's Old Fort William .. very well done, a re creation of a Voyageur village complete with costuming and authentic life skills played out to a 'T' by young students.

BRrrrrrrrrrr 8C out there this morning at 6am .. but, another stellar day is predicted .. not sure what that will bring with it .. but I do know I have some ideas as there are several festivals in the area.

Enjoy your day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Still raining here..wish I hadn't left all the outside work for today..oh well, world won't stop because it's not done..

THEE Spider...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG Betty where's your leathers?????????

Holy doodle !!! That is some kinda machine !!!
I almost thought you were sitting on it BACKWARDS LoL
WOW .. now Lorna is giving me the 'HMmmmmmmmmmm look' !! No doubt she's looking them up .. gimmee strength!

Put some clothes on the line, and POOF, yonder developed some nasty looking clouds .. we'll see if they amount to anything.

Off to tie up some HUGE sunflowers!!

~M~

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Just a quick one as the thunder and lightning is getting closer. Raining so hard that the roofs across the road look like they're boiling - and sirens staring everywhere.

Just wanted to report that my "tube method" of growing my sweet peas in the gravel bed has worked. I now have two whole flowers so far and lots of vine, though one in particular looks as if it's turning into a bush instead of a vine. HOWEVER - next time I will use larger diameter tubes. This was too hard to water, especially once the vines started coming, but otherwise a great solution to my problem.

Had several teenaged grandchildren here for a couple weeks and it sure is different than when they were little. A lot more expensive too.

And I leave for two months in S Africa on the 31st, so I'll be getting spring all over again. That's wonderful, but a real shock then to come back here to the dark mornings and evenings and the cold. BAH!!

Skimmed what I'd missed and just wanted to give good wishes for full recovery of backs, arms and pets.

Gotta shut down now for safety, but I'll try to get on one more time before I leave.
~marilyn

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 4:30 PM

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Got a photo of my lonely (so far) sweet pea.

Thumbnail by cybercrone
Victoria Harbour, ON

Wanting to chat, creative way to garden..omg can I come with you, I,d be great with doing maid service..

Yikes, iffy out there, goingtoshut down swell

Just came across iPad..some outside things should get done

Severe Thunderstorm watch
Issued at Sunday, 21 August, 2011 3:48 PM

Severe thunderstorms possible this afternoon and evening. Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Wind gusts to 90 km/h, hail to 2 cm in diameter, and heavy downpours are likely with these thunderstorms. A tornado is possible. This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall..Monitor weather conditions and listen for updated bulletins.

Gab after

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - got some terrific news from a friend - they're lending us their 21 ft Motorhome for next weekend! So, it won't be too cold in the am when we wake up! And, no problem using it if it rains lol
These are some church friends of ours. They've lent it to their grandson & his wife & 2 girls. They'll bring it back on Thursday afternoon, Bob will get familiar with it, and we take off for camping on the Friday morning!! whooooo hoo! I've never camped in a motorhome before! Bob's driven a bus up to 40ft long, so this will be a cinch for him.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well, storm must have passed us on, blue sky above. But then I said that earlier didn't I??

Time for pain killers..joining your pain group "m". Lol

Great news Susan .. you'll reap the benefits from being UP and OFF the ground :-) Enjoy your time away.

Betty .. how's your back ..sounds like sciatica .. have you tried a heating pad? I wish you all the best with your company, it's not pleasant at all having guests and not being 100%. When Lorna's parents were here in June, I was not enjoying their visit, and, as a consequence we ate out a lot more than usual which bothered me as her Mom is kind of a 'finicky' eater. They are supposedly coming in September, up in the air right now though as they both are having health issues. I have mentioned a trip east to Lorna, but she is still reluctant to travel.

Marilyn .. what a lovely sweet pea, glad your experiment worked for you. Safe travels in S. Africa :-)

It was 7C at 6am this morning .. and .. get this .. it is SUPPOSED to go up to 40C tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gag me ...

Cleaning the fridge today, about need a MAP to navigate through it right now and I can't hack it ..

Have a great week all

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - we were always "UP and OFF the ground" cuz we have a 19" queen sized inflatable bed. I couldn't Do the flat on the ground thingie.......

I'm soooo looking forward to this weekend. We got a new spot, fully serviced - not sure what it looks like, but we asked for it to be near friends that are also camping there, in a camper.

Just spoke to another couple that we meet up with when we go to Pincher Creek (they're in Cardston, so 1 hour drive further and we won't be able to drive the motorhome that far) and he's been staving off a heart attack, and she still has a very bad back from 2 months ago. She said they haven't been to church for 3 months, and no one from the church has contacted them so they don't know how badly off they are!! I think that's Horrible, and so does she... It's a Mormon Temple and there are sooooo many people that go there, that no one seems to miss them, apparently. Unacceptable to me. I feel like calling the Temple (I'm not a mormon) and Telling Them! Shame on their temple!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Taking pain killers, as long as I'm not on my feet for any length of time I'm ok..that is exactly what it is, am sure it's all the driving I did in a few short days..won't be long I'll be in tip top shape..

I'm so looking forward to their visit that nothing could turn me off (within reason)!

Perfect day, no humidity, high 60's. To low 70's, can't ask for better than that.

Terrible all the damage the tornado did in Godrich...worse I got here was what was left of the flowers for Barb to see are snow on the groi d..not worthy of mention in comparison to what many are dealing with!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I want anyone's opinion, please, about calling the Mormon Temple. Do you think I should, on behalf of this couple in pain? I'm not a mormon, and not sure if the couple would appreciate it. I'm so incensed about it - no one is helping, no one at the Temple knows or has phoned to see why they're not attending anymore..... I know she's upset about it.

btw - my car registed 39c yesterday, when it was supposed to only reach 30c, so I wonder what it will be when it's supposed to be 29c today.......

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan,

I might call on this couple's behalf, but I wouldn't bee too hard on the Temple if they haven't reached out themselves. It's quite possible that over the summer months people just thought they were away. I'm a strong believe that if people want help they need to let people know they need help.

Susan .. perhaps a call placed to another Member of the Temple who could pass the info along to 'them that be' might be best.
Personally, I wouldn't intervene as I know zip about the politics within the Mormon Church.
I belong to a large Roman Catholic parish and I know that people there fall between the cracks as well especially if they are sick at home and not in hospital. The Priests go to the hospital every few days and are made aware if a parishoner has been admitted, and, they get a visit.

Feel bad for ya Betty .. sciatica is a pain in the butt .. LITERALLY .. anti inflammatories work best, along with tylenol.

I read about Goderich .. YIKES .. awful ..

Sorry to hear about Jack Layton .. I have met him in passing a couple of times, a very nice man ..

Well .. i cleaned the fridge!! Enlisted Gord's help though as the big bins are not for me to lift right now.
Took me a good 2 hours and I have again hung my head low as it seems we WASTE so much !!! I always picture a thrid world family AGHAST at my garbage !!!!

Gloomy day .. think I'll head outside and see what Lorna is up to. i hear the machine way out back ..

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"m" he sure went down hill quickly! One never know..he fought so hard this past election and came so close to reaching his dream..sad!

Nice to have the air off and windows open...enjoyable..laying here and feel guilty that I'm doing nothing. Weeds are calling me but I'm not listening!

Other than when I have company,then I overdo I eat out and purchase just enough for light supper for that reason..purchase Friday and before end of week throw it in the garbage or start science projects

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Both they, and the Temple in Salt Lake City seemed genuinely pleased that I called. If it gets them help, and someone's nose is "out of joint" so be it! I'm not afraid to get help for them, and I believe all of us need help at some time. I realize that sometimes in the summer, many things fall through the cracks. It behooves me to do the best I can, and if that sounds like I'm meddling, I'm not worried. Someone has to speak on their behalf, I feel.
They aren't even able to work on their garden, and it's a bountiful one - I outta know, I helped shell peas at their place last month lol Reeva was ailing with her back then, and Ron did all the gardening, now His heart is giving him trouble. He's already had 3 heart attacks, and is afraid they would put a stint in, so he's not calling the Dr (I wish he would......).
One of the things we have in common is gardening. I would hate to see them give it up.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry to hear about Jack Layton- he went downhill very fast but that is how it happens sometimes.

Susan good for you for speaking up for your friends.

I was sick pretty much all last week ( me and Sassy too who had diarrhea!) just a tummy upset of some sorts and very uncomfortable and no energy, kept lying down for naps but it seems to have passed on the weekend. Sassy unfortunately still has not totally improved although it seems she is on the way. She continues to lose weight. I had to wash her bum so often by the end of the week she would not come near me, would not even let me brush out her coat a bit.

Had a little photo session this morning with one of our foster families getting new pics of Sadie and Sassy. Sassy did let Joan brush her a bit and I will get her to the groomers later in the week I hope and she will shave the 'poop chute' so it will be easier to keep her clean if this happens again.

I had two extra dogs here this weekend, helping out an ex foster family in a bind, they were not much trouble., good think since I did not feel well enough to walk or play with them! But whenever I lay down for a nap they both got on the bed/couch with me.

My brother will be here for a couple of days this coming weekend so since he is a neat freak I decided to clean a few things that have not been cleaned a long time. My cleaner will come Wed but today I washed the back screen door in and out and the white railings on the steps- dont think I have ever washed them! Tomorrow I will do the front. Wonder how he will feel waking up with animal hair in his mouth? LOL! He has never owned a pet in his life! And my guest bedroom is also my computer room and the dog rescue room.

The garden is looking rather bedraggled after two hails storms this month., the big hostas in particularly are badly shredded.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I thought you might enjoy this pic.

Bailey: give me that treat!
Sassy:boring!
Abby: I'm out of here!
Shadow: Can we get this over with please?
Sadie: Not looking at the darn camera again!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol Carol on the dog pics! Sassy looks pretty much like my neighbour's dog, Angel, but Sassy has more hair.
Neat freak brother, with dog hair in the house....... should be interesting lol Glad he's coming to visit you, that will be nice, I'm sure. How long since you've seen him?
Sounds sweet that the dogs got up with you - shows they care and trust you :-)

I have only one hosta in my garden, with 4 leaves - 3 torn and one new one that came After the hail storms. For the first time, this hosta is blooming (ya think the hail had anything to do with it? Weird!!)

Oh my .. what gorgeous pics, well behaved dogs (or an efficient photographer ) :-)

Hot one on tap here .. mega humidity .. staying inside thanks .. have appts the next 3 days ..

Had a good look at my flower beds .. look gnarly .. most flowers have lost their 'ZIP' .. weeds are offensive and I will have to address that sooner as opposed to later.
Veg garden is producing in spades!!!

Sleep situation remains crummy .. but .. physio is helping .. slow and steady wins the race ..

Take care all

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Isn't "gnarly" good? it IS in the lexion of the 80's or 90's as per Pauley Shore, right?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL Marilyn- here is the proper picture! The other was just silly before we could get them lined up!

My garden is looking rather gnarly also! Bailey has decided he likes to go lie in the shade of the Willow in the flower beds and I have not stopped him as it is an area just filled with ground cover. We have been hit by hail twice this past month. It has been hot. I did remember to water this morning. Time i planted the groundcover junipers I bought to go under the new Amur Cherry tree. Dont seem to have much get up and go for gardening this year.

I am having a house clean week of sorts.( typical for me if company is coming) This morning I did the fridge and under the sink. Cleaner comes tomorrow, then I have to do towels and sheets and generally tidy up. I have had some of the carpets up and rooms gated off because of Sassy's diarrhea but she is better now still think I will wait until Friday or Sat. before I put them down again.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.