What's happening in YOUR neck of the woods-chat with friends

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm having about 60 for mom's 80th birthday on the 17 th and although I've asked for sunshine I rented a hall just to be safe!!

Aren't grandchildren about the best thing that happens in life.. Good looking and as for photographer's photo NO NEED for Photoshop..just beautiful!

Black outside so have no idea what weatherman is calling for..should turn on breakfast television and see what they have to say.

What do you all have planned for this long weekend?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Brrrrrrrrr .. kinda cool out there this morning .. definitely a hint of Autumn in the air.

Had my eye exam yesterday, and, need glasses .. picked out a pair will get them next week .. seems my vision for distance has diminished.

Labour Day weekend!! WOW .. sure seems to have arrived quickly! Plans are for a BBQ (or 2) and yard work (never ending) .. the veg garden is coming in daily as well as the apples from the trees .. today it's blueberry pie making day.

Blueberries were few and far between west of Thunder Bay this year, but plentiful east? Go figure .. raspberries are incredibly prolific, but, one raspberry pie is good for the year.

Have been going to funerals :-( My very first 'Head nurse' passed away .. then a Platoon Chief Gord worked with .. now a friends Mom .. hope that's my three for a bit.

Off to have a cuppa ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sported a sweater this morning..you can feel that summer is all but over/ Actually I'm not sorry to see it come, isn't that strange..perhaps it's because it's been so hot I've not spent a lot of time outside so cooler weather will suit me just fine.

"M" know where you are coming from with regards to funeral, old family friend died Monday, just waiting to hear when funeral arrangements are, have another friend on death's door so know it's coming as well. Was telling Suzanne (SIL-co-worker) that we are now in the upper age group, it's either someone we know or soon to be us..she just shakes her head.

Seems Sailor has a few fleas, not that I've seen them but the girls that paint at my house on Tuesday said they did..know she scratches a lot but she has an allergy and every year about this time she pulls the hair off her haunches .. didn't want to take a change, last night washed Sailor with flea shampoo (she was such a good girl), this morning took her to have her nails clipped and vantage treatment, bought enough to get her through Oct./Nov.and Dec. also got it for the kitties, can't treat one and not the other. I made it to work 1 hour late which isn't bad considering vets didn't open until 8am

BBQ's sound like the plan of the day at least once over the weekend IF the boys are around. With starting school on Tuesday they have much to get ready and the last hoorahhh so who knows. I did think Saturday morning early I'd head to Meaford, beautiful town on Georgian Bay, lots of boutiques, big factory outlet that carries absolutely everything and spend the morning and be back early afternoon..I've enough to keep me busy the rest of the weekend. You are making me hungry just thinking of blueberry pie...mouth watering! Haven't really seen a lot of blueberries out along the roadside, usually every 10 miles or so you see a car with a sign but not this year.

Planning mom's 80th birthday - September 17th (actual birth date) so making lists, sending out invitation, calling some I have no address for..now to figure meal and finances..seems sibblings with mega $$$ try and keep it lol so I want to know exactly budget $$$ before I go spend my allowance.

Good luck with the party planning Betty .. hope you don't get stuck footing the entire cost ..

I'm with you on the need for some cooler weather .. this summer has been THE PITS in so far as gardening goes .. ONE thing that 'took off' unexpectedly is the Sunflowers Lorna planted .. I have to get a picture of them ,, good grief .. they are well over 6' tall and just heading up into flowers now .. going to be spectacular !!!
As for the other gardens .. well .. because of my shoulder my work in them was minimal .. but .. for weed control in one ai had MR SKUNK, and in another MR GROUND HOG .. both of these critters have since met their demise. One got into our neighbours PRIZE Pumpkin patch .. and THAT is intolerable when one is growing pumpkins for $$ depending on how large you can get them, and Neil gets them up over 900lbs.
At any rate .. time to put this summer of gardening behind us and put the beds to sleep .. maybe not right today .. but over the next few weeks.

Advantix should cure the flea problem .. we have one more dose of it left for our pups .. use it for TICK control .. seems to be working well.

Was going to try and change us over .. may give it a whirl .. always seem to do something incorrectly though ..

Take care

~M~

Moved us over here (I hope )

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217244/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.