More clematis talk

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1178344/

We're starting our blooms in the northeast so let's all post photos and continue the gabfest.

This message was edited May 25, 2011 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you. :-)

If 200 posts is waiting too long just Dmail me when it gets long to load and I will happily start a new thread. :-)

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

My "thought it died last fall" Barbara Harrington clem popped up while I was traveling for 5 days. It looks to be about a foot tall now. Perhaps I will get some flowers from it this year! I will try to get a photo this weekend.

It must like this cool weather & all the wind & rain! ~j

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

At what point do you go AAHHHGGGGG!!!!. Dang voles ate off my Avante Garde Clem and my new Omisihro, how ever you spell it. I have hopes that the root base's are still ok.

What a thrill for you, Philjm! I've given up on my original Omoshiro - no sign of life.

Oh, Marie. What a heartache for you! Maybe you could dig up both of them and put them in hardware cloth (metal) cages to save them from the rotten monsters.

The deer visited to nibble on my newest one, Pauline. I'd rather have them eat the roses as they did last week.

They ate them above the ground. Just chewed them right off. I will take up the roots and place them in pots for this year and see what happens.
I think they are liking the coll weather, mine are blooming real nice, just got some slugs making a mean now...lol

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Now do I have to go back to the origional thread to get to this room? Sorry, am still a newbie. And the dicussion earlier was in ref purples being referred to as blue. In botanical nomenclature many purples are referred to as blue. If one looks at a color chart or wheel with gradation, you can see where blue turns to purple as red is added, when the purple has more red in it it appears more in the mauve range. There are some very famous gardeners who were artists and truley understood color gradation and could turn that into magical gardens for the public,(gertrude jeckle of england, louise bebe wilder of america ), and themselves, adding to the list of masters is claude monet of giverny in france. Yes gardening can be an artform to mastered, a living portrait if you will. So here's a bit of an explanation, Sorry have been studying these things for years and can't help myself, I find gardening facinating as a living artform. Isn't it just amazing that nature created all this just so we can play?LOL.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Kathy, great insight, thanks for that information, you are correct.

But it also gives gardeners something to strive for in many of these flowers such as Clems, Iris & Day Lilies - to try to develop that true, clear blue, or red. ~j

Athens, PA

Marie - I would not be happy - I would sprinkle the vole pellets around my clems.... we started doing this last year because there were so many of the dreaded little beasts.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Kathy, you don't have to go back to the original thread to get here, since you posted in this thread, anytime someone makes a new post it will automatically show up on your home page when you log in on Davesgarden.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy, the other thing you can do, if you want to keep track of a thread you haven't posted on, is to look at the very top or the very bottom. Just click on the words "watch thread" and it will let you know every time there is a new post. Also, I learned a neat trick to find threads you were watching, but no one has posted on recently. Click on My Info up at the very top, in the green stripe, and a few lines down it will say "Threads you are watching." That way you can go back and find past threads to re-read, even if no one has added anything lately.

Angie

Carolyn22----Where can I find vole pellets? I have seen Mole pellets in Lowe's, is that what you mean?

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I had a problem with something eating the top of a clem, turned out to be a big bug. Chomped it to the ground several times. I cut the top and bottom off a water bottle and slipped it over the clem and left it there for a few weeks. It's now close to two feet tall.

got a few blooming, here's Durandii with a rose in the background.

Thumbnail by venu209

Candida

Thumbnail by venu209

Very prety Venue. I want a white one. Maybe this year.

Beautiful, Louise! A new one bloomed so I'll take a shot of it when the sun gets around the house.

Candida is really perfection, isn't it?

Athens, PA

Marie

It is a cone that says Voles and Moles. We pick them up at Lowes. They are in the section with Sevin and the like.

Oh ok, I know that stuff. It really works? A few years ago I tried everything on the market. Even ordered stuff off line. Not a thing worked. But if you say that this stuff does. I am on it.

Athens, PA

Marie

It does work. DH tried it out desperation when the voles were jumping in front of his face - he was bent down doing something and he said they were all over.... eewwwweee!! Better him than me!

Oh crap,,,lol I have never had that happen. I just go out and have to keep stomping down their runs and put my plants back in the ground if they are still alive....lol
I keep hoping that I am stomping one of them as I do it.

C-A-T.......they love any small rodent ^_^

Yeh, but hubby does not like C- A- T...lol

(Debra) Garland, TX

Me, neither, at least not out in the yard. Couple of ferals around here think M-U-L-C-H means L-I-T-T-E-R-B-O-X. :/ One likes to slowly stroll by my open front door and make the dogs bark at her. The other likes to sleep on my roof, and sometimes in the fork of the Cedar Elm by the front door.

Thinking about putting a fan trellis on the west side of the tree. Gets a couple of hours of late afternoon sun. If the Clematis root is planted on the east side of the trellis and the roots are mulched really well, the trellis and Clem should shade the Striptease Hostas I just planted at the base of the tree--without remembering the summer afternoon sun in that spot! What do you all think?

I don't know your climate first hand but it's worth a try.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

You won't know until you try.... ~j

Right! I really like people who encourage others to try things they haven't done.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, that is including me, thanks to you I hang in there and I am a proud mom of a sSunset clematis she is the first clematis that bloomed. I lost the the Chrystal fountain, it just went wilted and died. The Arctic Queen I dug up and planted in a pot it is hanging in there, will see. Thanks for all your help.

This message was edited May 30, 2011 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by kiseta

You're welcome, Etelka. Your bloom is beautiful - is that Niobe? I should take a look at mine - it's in the rose garden in front of the house and the deer visit it more than I do.

Don't go digging up anything you think is a lost cause! Cut it back to the ground, give it some Epsom Salt water and put an anti fungal product all around the base. See if it pops back up for you within a week if not sooner. Good luck.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I thought my clematis had died. I was checking my garden yesterday and it's still there. It's not very big but she's there!

Hurray! They do tend to surprise us. Now I wish the original Omoshiro would surprise me.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Si. :-)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I miss read it, it is a Sunset, Neobi is a little bit more pink, looks like it will finnaly start growing, but I lost the Christal fountain.

This message was edited May 30, 2011 3:16 PM

Please don't dig up any more clematises until you give the anti-fungal treatment a try. They are too expensive to just throw away.

Louisville, KY

Good old Jackmani cut to 6inches from the ground this spring

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

Absolutely stunning, John. Great job and great display.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

lovemyhouse, love your domino theory. I am sure the clem will be fine if mulched well and planted deep. Maybe you should plant something infront of it or put a rock to protect it, especially with the hot weather. What clem are you planning to put there? It should be one that doesn't need to be pruned this summer. Poor little hosta!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

For those of you looking for a great sale!!!!!!!......Gurney's has got a great one on clematis and a few other vines. I ordered from them and got : PRINCESS DIANA.......$5.99;........MRS, CHOLMENDLEY....$5.99.....BARBARA......$5.99;................ERNEST MARKHAM...$2.99;.................VOLCANO...$2.99. When I unpacked my box I was pleasantly suprised!! Yes they were in 21/4" pots was they had several stems and looked very healthy. The other two vines I got are orange honeysuckle for $2.99..........Yellow trumpet vine for$4.99. Yup sometimes those last minute sales are wonderful. Now I just have to figure in where I'm going to put these, lol. Still cleaning up from last season yet, ugh then comes weeding, I want to get to the fun stuff, planting, planting, planting. If anyone is intrested order soon, they only will ship to June 15. Maybe could call, think they said last order date is June 6 or 8. GURNEY'S ...513-354-1491 .................or fax...513-354-1493. Good Luck, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

:( Maybe I should try some of the Epson salt bath. I have one that has leaves dying at the base. What is the recipe?

Jeanne and I both use the scattering of a handful at the base of the plant and then watering it in well.

The actual recipe I was taught was one tablespoon to a gallon of WARM water. Give each plant a quart of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.