More clematis talk

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Venu. I was sure I missed it but I couldn't find that post.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Once a month but more if you feel like it or think the plant wants more. I wouldn't do it more than twice a month.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for clarifying pirl.

Thomaston, CT

The Ibi I planted last month has a bud on it....I'm not too excited!

It really is exciting!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pirl, I have missed writing, my computer crashed, and had to take it up to my sun to fix it. Plus I have been discouraged because I lost two of my clematis, but the other four are doing good and blooming. Rebeccas flowers are kind a small, maybe next year they will have bigger flowers. I bought today at Lowe's a very nice H.F. Young clematis, $9.99, it is looking allmost like I the one I lost. It looks very healthy and 3 times larger then the one comes in mail. Do you ever buy them in the store, or they are not as good quality as mail order? I hope you have been well, and your sweet Jack. It is very hot here and the grasshoppers are mean and getting bigger, I fight with them every day. I use my little hair cutting scissors. I left for 3 days and because I don't have automatic sprincle system, my flowers where very dry, but after watering them 2 days, it looks like they will make it.

Hi Etelka! Jack and I are well rested from our week on Cape Cod and I've been back working in the garden, as usual.

There is nothing wrong, at all, with store bought plants and if I had a Lowe's near me I'd be haunting the place. They are building one, not too far away, so by next year I'll be scouting out what they offer.

H. F. Young is lovely! You made a good choice.

Please don't give up on the clematises you planted and don't dig them up! There are many that go into transplant shock regardless of how careful we are while planting them. Just let them sit and gain strength.

I don't have Rebecca and don't know how large the flowers get.

I'm glad to hear your plants look good after two soakings. You did it the right way.

Good to have you back, Etelka! I missed you.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Etelka, Pirl is correct - my little clem I thought had died, Pirl told me not to dig it up, and today, after a slow start, it is almost 2 feet tall. Glad I followed her advice, and left it alone, and some epsom salts this spring have all helped it. ~Jan

Thomaston, CT

Etelka, I've noticed the flowers on Louise Jensen are small this year, but I will give her a shot of Epsom salts...

Thanks, Jan, but it was likely your magic touch.

It's always worth a try, Marilyn.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pirl, but even though my thumb is not brown, it isn't green either. It's all the help I get from folks here at DG, including your expert advice. Heck, I can't even carry a tune, so singing to my plants is also out ! ~j

Well, I can't sing either (not even in the shower) and since I have tremors the plants don't want me even touching them!

Most gardeners succeed by trial and error and when something works the way we want it to we tend to stick to that method. It works for me.

I've been using reconstituted water crystals with great success and while we were gone for a week we didn't have anyone here to water the potted plants but they all did very well.

Thomaston, CT

The Ibi opened today......

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Beautiful, delicate color and great anthers, Marilyn.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Pirl....

New chat thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1191739/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.