More clematis talk

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I think the epsom salt bath is what made the huge difference in my itty bitty clem. Will try to get a picture of it today. It's busy climbing up that branch Pirl had me stick next to it, and seems pretty happy. I just poured a tablespoon or two into a jug (me, measure?) added tepid water, and poured away ~Jan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That is music to my ears! Thanks for the report, Jan.

(Debra) Garland, TX

bananna, thought I'd try the Malaya Garnet bought recently. Duchess of Albany is on the east side of the Cedar Elm, so the colors of the two should work well together. Assuming I don't decide to move the Duchess. LOL The trellis itself should break up the sun enough to protect the Hostas, or I can drape something on the trellis to provide shade until the Malaya 'grows up.' Garland is currently under Stage 1 water conservation and, as you know, we can't expect a lot of rain, now, until September. :/ Although, might not need a lot of shade, even so. These Striptease Hostas seem to be incredibly tough and vigorous. For the other clems, I put the Roguchi on the ground by the house to weave around in the short shrubs and such. Daniel Deronda is planted by the end of the east fence. Arctic Queen is on the opposite side from Daniel training up that corner fence post. The new neighbors should like that. :-) Filigree is in a container--and has a second flush of buds! Looking at getting another Arctic Queen, Lincoln Star, Pink Fantasy, Bee's Jubilee, and maybe viticella Venosa Violacea in the Fall.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Good thinking on the trellis.I look forward to the pictures. Sounds like nice combos. Did you do anything special for Filigree in the container...size of pot, soil etc? Will keep my eye open for striptease..haha

Thomaston, CT

When I returned from NH today, I found a clem blooming....I think this is Killian Donahue, but I'm not sure....anyone ID?

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know, but I'd like to. It's lovely!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Used a 10 inch glazed terra cotta container already had sitting around. Regular potting soil. I did cover it and the other containers a couple of times over the Winter, including that coldddd week in February. Benign neglect the rest of the time until it started blooming this Spring.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Thomaston, CT

Thanks, bannanna....

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Very nice Marilyn!

lovemyhouse....you never know what a Roguchi will do. I have one that went straight up a trellis. In this pic it's on the right side of the trellis.

Thumbnail by venu209

In this pic you can find Rhapsody in the lower left hand corner. The rose is May Queen which seems exceptionally happy this year.

Thumbnail by venu209
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

WOW! venu209, that rose is wonderful. How old is it?

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is huge, too! :-)

Looking forward to seeing what the Roguchi does.

Thanks, Marie. It got planted in 07. It's a rambler and grows very fast. It's a shame it's a once bloomer. After it's spring flush, it's done.

Yes, lovemyhouse, it is huge! :) You should have fun watching Roguchi. Every year it does something different here.

Marilyn - that's a gorgeous clematis!

Louise - love your roses and clematises. Better to have a once bloomer than no bloomers due to the deer!

Athens, PA

I love Roguuchi - it is my longest bloomer. He blooms most of the Summer.

Took these today...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

John Paul

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Here is Carnaby peeking out with Alabast and HF Young

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Debra) Garland, TX

Carolyn, those are fun! thanks

Beautiful Carolyn!

You're right Pirl, one is better than none.

ooops, forgot a pic. Rebecca and Pink Fantasy

Thumbnail by venu209

a Galore bloom peeking over the fence

Thumbnail by venu209
Athens, PA

Louise

I just love it when they peek through, don't you?

Beautiful clem's, Carolyn and Louise.

Rebecca and Pink Fantasy is one wonderful combination.

Yes, Carolyn, sometimes it seems they have personalities.

Thanks, Pirl. It was one of those happenstance pairings. I wasn't sure if they would complement each other.

Athens, PA

They are beautiful together!

I love the peeking, too!

I tagged one of them wrong, have to go back and fix it.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice ! ~Jan

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I really enjoyed the slideshow, Louise. Looks like Clematis Heaven.

Great job, Louise. They are all so beautiful.

Thomaston, CT

Beauties, especially Rebecca......

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, beautiful! I need to stop visiting this thread. It makes me crave more clematis. :)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Oh, gosh, those are all wonderful. Thank you!

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of Barbara Harrington. It really 'took off' when I was traveling last week. I also believe that Epsom Salt drink I gave it before leaving really helped. It is climbing up the branch Pirl had me stick next to it, on it's way to climb up the TV antenna tower that is next to my house. I am holding out hope that it will get nice & tall, and bloom this year. I think it is about 18 inches tall now. Considering that I thought it was dead even a month ago, I am very happy. ~Jan

Thumbnail by philljm
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Louise, the second slide show is even more magnificent (shows pictures of my first love.....the rose). By the way, I missed seeing you at our swap this year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

First clem to bloom. Daniel Deronda

Thumbnail by ge1836

Thanks Teri. The roses really seemed to love the rain followed by heat. I'm definitely going to have to make the next RU at your place!

Jan, Barbara looks like she made a great recovery and is well on her way to traveling up the antennae.

Great photos, again, Louise. Loved all the clem's and the roses.

Jan - so glad to hear your clematis is doing so well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.