Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

(Debra) Garland, TX

Golden Child Daylily.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

In front of our warehouse. Used to be a tree there. Half died, so they took it all down. Removed most of the stump and roots, and landlord said I could plant. Horse herb is pretty thick, and it is hot today, so didn't expand the area. Bringing loppers on Monday to trim up those leftover roots to the right I pulled up. Looks a little forlorn because it is so small in the middle of all that green stuff. Might rim the bed with a short decorative fence inside the paver border (which I will finish on Monday because I only brought eight :/). Make it look more like it was intentional. :-) Lined the back with baby Iris. Centered a Buddleia Petite Purple. Filled in with eight Mexican Heathers, five trailing lavender Lantanas, and about 25 Safari Tangerine Marigolds. Justification for the plug trays I bought from an obsessive sense of greed... LOL Only problem is now I have to carry water buckets from the breakroom outside-no faucet in front. Maybe I can 'persuade' some of my young employees that watering will make the boss happy? [evil grin]

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Also opened this morning. Think is it Chicago Apache, but foolish me relied on memory instead of marking it when I planted it.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!! That 'Armagia' glad is one of the most beautiful and stunning that I've ever seen!!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Kay and Jim were very generous in sending me some bulbs. :-)

Midland City, AL

I’ll make you one specifically for outside, Sheri. It would be helpful to know, was it the glitter paint that cracked under outdoor conditions? Or, the filler I used along the rim. I filled the lip of the can so when someone watered the water wouldn’t collect and attract mosquitoes or cause the metal rim to rust. The rims always seem to be metal even when the buckets themselves are plastic.) Do you think an outside layer of clear sealant would help? We always have empty paint cans around and really need to find a useful way to recycle them. Y’all can be my quality control and creative advisors. Amargia’s plants will come in cans from now on. lol. Hey, I’ll put glads in your next one, Sheri. And, I can make your employees their own personalized water buckets, Debra. lol.
By accident we discovered birds like to nest in them. I had a bunch of them hung on a bungee cord in PJ’s workshop. Two Mama birds built nest in the buckets and successfully raised their hatchlings. PJ is afraid since they associate his workshop with home. More will want to nest there next year. He thinks if we hang some buckets with holes drilled in the bottoms just outside his workshop under the eaves, they will not be so tempted to nest inside. That means they need to stand up to southern outdoor conditions at least a year.
PJ tried to call and check on you, Vickie, but couldn’t get through. So glad to hear you are okay. Wow, your part of the world is getting hit hard this year! It’s like one thing on top of another. Is Dylan very old? I noticed Fenny is getting gray around her muzzle. That doesn’t seem possible, but MK says large breed dogs have shorter life spans. Fenny IS big. Tater-dog seems to be in less pain and has simply adapted to getting around on three legs. I saw her chasing a squirrel yesterday. She’s never caught a squirrel, even when she had four good legs so she wasn’t very disappointed when she didn’t catch it, but she was booking! .
MK did keep her word about not buying any more plants until fall. I bought the ones PJ saw on the porch. They were on sale and verbena is PURPLE. Purple was the first color I loved. You never forget your first love. lol.
I agree with you about beneficial things that smell a little odd, Planti. Drinking vinegar sling gives your sweat a vaguely ammonia smell, but I would rather have that than dare the hazards of the mosquitoes and gnats themselves or the harsh chemicals in most effective repellents. It was horrible the time I had repellent on my face and chemical laden sweat got in my eye.
Actually, Debra, ‘Safe Island’ was my second choice. ‘Kachina Dancer’ is the one that grabbed me in that group. ‘Golden Child’ is stunning though.
The gladiolas look happy and right at home. People around here call them wild glads because they’ve naturalized. Officially, they are Gladiolus dalenii ‘African Parrot’. I can remember helping MK rescued the original start of those glads from around the foundation of an abandoned farmhouse that had burnt down. A red and a soft pink variety were in with the ‘Parrot’. Every Summer MK would say she was sure she had all the pink and red ones separated out. The next summer there would always be more pinks and reds nestled in among the orange/yellow ‘Parrot’. So, don’t be too surprised if you get some surprises from them.
I’m glad we have as much land as we do. If we had less land, I would not get to create different garden rooms with such diverse looks. You can have a garden for every mood with six acres and I’m a moody person. I need to go research how to multiply PJ’s lily for my garden. You never know when a dark mood will strike. :-) ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Ooh, pretty! Well worth the effort to propagate. Raided some pots from work (dead plants not yet discarded). Still not enough, so did a make-do cramming three cultivars into that blue box for now. I was right that all would separate into at least two plants. The Kachina Dancer actually separated in to three fans and/or seedlings. [grin] Dixie Land Band made it to five. :-D

Received some historic Iris bulbs today, have to find a place to put them, too. Think I'd like to keep them all together. Have a little time on those, though.

This message was edited May 28, 2011 8:06 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Here are the other pots with James Clark, Chinese Chariot, Tupac Amaru, etc. Stuck Young Planet in the big container with the Chocolate Mint just peeking up over the rim.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

debra. it looks like you've found a place your new green babies like.
I'm paining pots this afternoon. Real ones, designed for that purpose. :-)
PJ really does have a bird issue in his workshop. We were cleaning up after the dog's in the yard and I went to get the extra tools and found another nest. Some silly bird built a nest in the extra pooper scooper hanging on the back wall. ROFL ~N~

(Debra) Garland, TX

Snake in the Grass Boo has a scape on it already. Yea!

Sounds like fun on the painting.

Poor birdies, so confused.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Won't look this lush come August, but it's pretty now. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

It was the paint around the side of the bucket. It appeared to have 'caught' some of the rain water which got between the paint and the plastic wall of the bucket. The metallic edging held up just fine.

Oh my, I know just where the parrot glad will go ^_^

Hugs all around,

Sheri

(Debra) Garland, TX

Vickie, supposed to be really hot when you come down next weekend. Be careful. :-)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Whatever that last red Daylily is, it ain't a Chicago Apache. THIS one is a Chicago Apache (according to the tag, anyway, :-)

The Chinese Chariot has a scape today, yippee!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

Some of the cultivar names given to flowers have me shaking my head, but ‘Chinese Chariot’ was a good choice for that daylily. That is truly what I would call Chinese red. The nursery industry as a whole has a very vivid imagination when it comes to color. As an example, consider how often you see ‘blue’ in the cultivar name of a flower that is undeniably lavender. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim those are the flowers that you will never see a true blue color. Reckon we gardeners have a wild imagination.
It's getting close to time to hit the road.Can't hardly stand it. Did some packing and digging today. Doing a few odds and ends.Am moving my containers to the front yard. That is a slow job.Have some things to do in town tomorrow.
LOL Debra, Is it any otherway in TX the rest of the summer.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, think I was confusing. The photo is Chicago Apache according to the label in the ground. Chinese Chariot has a lot more yellow in the throat. It should be open by early next week. Was excited because the Snake and Chinese are new and in containers. Didn't expect scapes this year.

Vicki, nope. LOL Temps above normal this week. Depressing to think we've already settled into the Summer pattern.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

In some garden writing, I've seen plants referred to as being "nurserymen's blue." :-) I can rembember learning the hard way about nurserymen's relative color pperception when I ordered a blue rose. I guess it was the closest to blue any breder had achieved at that time. I should have been tippped off by the fact the baby blue rose shown in the catalog was a drawing, not a photo.
Nadine is very determined to propogate Jim's "black lily" (Burgundy to the uninitiated.) 'Sungod' or 'Landini', not sure anymore.) She's doing it by scales, bulblets and a layering technique she made up herself. I'll see if I can get Jim to take a photo of the latter. It is.....highly creative. :-) It might even work.
Are you driving down by yourself, Vickie? There is a lot of Texas when you're traveling solo.
Cannas will go in the mail tomorrow, Carrie, unless you tell me otherwise. It sounded like you had your hands too full recently to worry about plants. They should actually appreciate your cooler temps now. . k*

(Debra) Garland, TX

The Darker Shade Daylily already has a scape!!!

Daylily City, here, has room for more residents, don't you think?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Yep! I'll be driving by myself. Love to drive. I'll be going I-20 to OK than 259 south to I-30. Its country most of the way. My angel always takes care of me. (little kids and fools, ya know)
Its not much of TX to travel since its in NE TX.I'll be mostly in OKLA. I know the road well. I figure it'll take about 5 hours. My car is in good shape and should'nt have any trouble. One can now drive 80 mph on TX INTERSTATE. Of course all Texans did anyway,Now they probably go 90.

Midland City, AL

Everyone of us PJ taught to drive has a little visor clip for our cars that says, "Never drive faster than your gardian angel can fly." lol
I miss CT today. Froggie thermometer said it got up to 100 degrees and he lives in the shade of the porch.
Wow, Debra, do you have any idea how many different kinds of daylilies you have now? Do you use your Gardener's Journal in "My Tools" to keep up with them all? Each of us here were trying to keep our own Journals, but have now decided that is a waste of valuable time. Our journal listings were virtually identical anyway. We are putting everything into MK's Journal since she is a little more consistent about keeping it current. It will be easier to enter info once in one location. PJ said it was like being in the AF again. Everything in triplicates. :-)
I based my propagation method for the “black” lily on techniques I’ve seen MK use. What I did varied only in detail. I’ve seen MK form small cones she wraps around the stems of plants from any material that will contain soil and hold up to the weather for a few months.
She carefully damages the stem at a point she thinks has potential in order to allow rooting hormone access to the inner layer of the stem, dabs on rooting hormone, wraps the cone around the stem and fills it with a light potting soil. She usually has a rooted cutting in a month or so. My propagation technique might look a little more punky, but it is basically the same idea. The lily was very tall. There was the bottom portion of an old wrought iron chair sitting around. (The legs and seat were intact. MK used the arms and back in another project.) The seat grid was wide enough to allow the flowers and stem of the lily to pass through. I expanded the hole in the bottom of a 1-gal nursery pot enough to let the lily pass through it undamaged, sat the nursery pot on the chair seat with the lily stem threaded through it. I thought removing the leaves that were inside the pot was enough damage for the rooting hormone to do its thing. I dabbed hormone where I wanted the roots to emerge and filled the pot with a good soil. If this works, it should develop roots halfway up the stem where the stem goes through the pot of soil. I’ll snip it off below the pot in a month or two. I should have a well rooted lily by then without damaging the one in the ground. It needed to be shorter anyway. It was looking leggy.
This is a lot prettier than my propagation experiment. It was another accidental acquisition much like the pink glads. It was mixed in with some ditch lilies I dug up for more color in the Children's Garden. I chose ditch lilies for bordering that garden because the color worked well and any plant in the Children's Garden needs to be tough. Also, it needed to be a plant no one would get too upset about if it were damaged. I will move this cutie to the west border of the CanDo Container Garden. That is lean sandy soil we are still in the process of amending, but I think Pinkie can handle it. She may look delicate because of the color, but she held her own among ditch lilies for years.
MK took a prescription muscle relaxer after she over did yesterday. She slept to 1-o-clock today. One of her daughters may come and stay with us while she gets back on her feet.. She fell off the wagon HARD after she found out her husband cheated, but she checked herself in for detox and has been sober for a month now. She says she is ready to pick up the pieces and put together a new life for herself. That is MK’s and PJ’s rule. They will do what they can to help you as long as you are doing whatever you can to help yourself. She’s very pretty and extremely intelligent.
No guy is worth self-destructing over. ! I hope she makes it. We are shuffling things around to create room for her. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

I hope your car has good air conditioning, Vickie! Man, it's hot.
I’ve always assumed that pale pink daylily is the more demure cousin of the tawny daylily (a.k.a.: tiger lily, ditch lily, wild orange daylily, Hemerocalis fulva) Nadine thinks Pinkie is the old variety called ‘Mrs. Nesmith’s clone’ since it doesn’t match the photos she found of the straight species, Hemerocalis fulva rosea. Come to think of it, I’ve never noticed that it spreads by seed. Lots of root tubers, however. That must be how it can hang with its outlaw cousin and not be crowded out or cross with them. Tawny daylilies ARE outlaws for real in MN, but they still have a place here because our soil is so poor in nutrients and they can stand up to heat. 101, today. Humidity is low so I feel like I’m roasting. I’m more accustomed to being steamed. :-).
Nadine is painting at a furious pace to clear out the art room for occupancy. I’ve stacked up things to be painted in that room.
I can feel a bulblet already forming on the burgundy lily’s scale. I’ve heard of propagating lilies by bulb scales. Most of the lilies I have multiply so freely by division, I’ve never actually worked with the scales. It is something I will try for slower multiplying lilies. The method Nadi is using is simpler than the one I knew of.
We got behind on b’days. Jim is getting packages out today. Ever notice how b’day tend to clump around May and August. I read somewhere Aug. and Sept. were the most common birth months. In my little family, May and June win. I have 4 GC’s born this time of year. Only one in Aug. k*

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Just a shout out from eastern Washington...we're having our first warm days of the season today and tomorrow. It's been a cold and rainy spring. I'm frustrated since I have a cold and don't adapt quickly to weather changes. I'm at that point where I want the garden all planted, the sod turned for new beds and generally wish I had a team of 5 burly guys to do my bidding!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Aiiiiiii, I am officially obsessed. Got those two bright color schemes in my head insisting I buy each and every one, with occasional divergence to a paler version. Ordered seven more daylilies from the same vendor:

Heavenly Beginnings
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/115581/

Mary's Baby
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126653/

Sturm und Drang
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126661/

Ninja Knight
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/16126/

Sanford Winery
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=184315&n=SANFORD-WINERY---DF---L4J---Kirchhoff-D-2002---DAYLILY

Early Days
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=230605590502&nma=true&rt=nc&si=rmQOibe0%252FAFQ6cAHusvy05TYfsc%253D

Cherokee Star
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/11430/

Add in some of the new bonuses from the last order:

Blue Venture
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/13005/

Candle in the Wind
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133831/

Suspended in Time
No photo
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=146804&name=Suspended%20in%20Time

That means I have 30 cultivars, multiple fans of each, waiting to go in the ground or be shipped. Plus the new bonuses being sent with these last seven. Good thing I already planned to send a passel of 'em to Amargia come September. :-)
========================================================================

Vickie and I missed each other yesterday. She got stuck in construction traffic on the way down. I ran out of time and had to head back before she got in. :/ I am hoping we can meet up before she heads home.

Midland City, AL

That's it. I'm summering in E. Washington from now one. Today has been another scortcher and there is no change in sight. If you find a source for young, brawny, helpful males, Planti, please share. A few weeks ago, a Mormon missionary out on a walk saw me out in the yard struggling with something heavy and offered his assistance. (No conversion required.) I think that is the only time I have EVER had a man my own age freely offer to do physical work without being paid for it.
Oooooo, Debra, I like the elegant simplicity of 'Candle in the Wind'. There aren't many daylilies that close to white, are there? It is a good thing I have achieved my majority. If I were a few years younger the daylily police would get you for contributing to the delinquency of a minor gardener. I've bookmarked the Clemson University website. It is a good starting point for daylily newbies in the south. They have a dictionary so I can learn to speak daylily. ~N~
http://www.scnla.com/Article%20of%20the%20Month_06_06.html

(Debra) Garland, TX

...and Planti, if you find any middle-aged helpful males, send 'em MY way. they don't even have to be brawny-just not skinny! LOL

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hahah...I had a dream last night that I was sent 5 clones to do whatever I asked. I set one to the laundry, one to cooking, one to clean all the floors. Woke up before I could assign the rest! hahaha...

(Debra) Garland, TX

Got my last batch of Daylilies. Thrilled with the ones I ordered-Awesome Bob is the biggest Daylily fan/bulb/rhizome/whatever they are called that I have ever seen. Happy with a couple of the bonuses, most are not to my taste. But I have plenty of places for them to find new homes. Not to worry, Jim, none of the pink ones in this batch will find their way to Alabama. (snicker, chortle, snort) Here are the bonuses.

Sledge Hammer
http://www.daylilybiz.com/html/sledge_hammer.html

Desiree
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/d/desiree-steve-moldovan-1997-5907

Joan Derifield
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/83321/

Bill Fall
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/284872/

Killer
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/63278/

Circle of Life
http://smokeysdaylilygardens.com/Itemdata.php?item=Circle%20Of%20Life

One Step Beyond
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/246135/

Brazilian Exotic
http://daylilydream.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BrazilianExotic

Midland City, AL

Planti, I would have to clone Kay if the goal were to get things done around here. If I cloned myself, I would have a bunch of me’s sitting around playing computer games and eating too much. Being clones of me, it doesn’t seem likely they would take orders from me. I mean, I tell myself to do stuff all the time and I rarely listen to myself. I’m not sure I could afford to feed 5 me’s anyway. :-)
Debra, I’m interested in seeing how you work ‘Sledge Hammer’ into the garden. I would be tempted to make it a solitary planting. I’d be afraid it would steal the thunder from less dramatic beauties. If I were naming it, I’d have called it ‘Drama Queen’. lol. There must have already been a daylily called that. We all agreed ‘Circle of Life’ is pretty. That’s a first for us! (Jim)

Jim says he doesn’t like colors that weren’t in his basic crayon box as a child. (I am sure there was a pink in the 16-count Crayola box. (His sister must have taken it.) Neither he nor Nadi appreciate subtle in-between colors such as the mauve of ‘One Step Beyond’. When I could still discern colors, I liked colors like that. In the right hands, I think they bring a sophisticated look to a garden. But then, I was a 64-count crayon box kind of girl.
These days I don’t think about colors too much. Or, perhaps, it would be more accurate to say thinking about them is all I can do. White and bright yellow are about the only bloom colors I can still see in the garden….and some of Debra’s oranges and reds. lol.
I do want to keep the browned down, September colors in front of the house and barn since they are both painted a soft harvest gold with chocolate brown accents. That area encompasses my Fragrance Garden. It is fortunate that white is the dominate color for fragrant plants so I don’t have to worry about things clashing much. Jim and Nadi are welcome to play with the bright and dark shades elsewhere to their hearts content.
The police are searching nearby for a murderer on foot and on the run so Jim has insisted Nadine and I stay inside today. It has been a plotting, planning and organizing day for me. Jim watered and gave Tater-dog her summer clipping. Nadine has been writing and drawing.
Don’t work too hard this weekend. Debra. Plants can be replaced. You can’t be.
5 of me? Heaven forbid! But, I wouldn’t mind having a few Linda Cobb (The Queen of Clean) clones around here. K*

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm always in awe of the gardens in Armagia, though I can't keep them straight worth a hoot. LOL

You all are right...I don't need 5 more "me"s hanging around. We would probably all flare up on the same days and we don't have near enough recliners for that! Maybe what I wish (which is kinda stupid in the first place) is to be able to afford helpers. Just someone who could do the digging in the garden and then someone to clean house. Is that too much to wish for? LOL!!! Anyway, it's not going to happen in this life so I'd better get over it.

I'm trying not to look at those daylilies too long...pretty soon I start thinking what a great idea it would be to have more daylilies.... Dangerous.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Kay, ditto me on the Cobb clones. I don't dust or sweep and Russell-dog sheds a LOT. And one of them can put the second paint coat on the ceiling of the spare room--that's been waiting for the second coat for about four years, now. :-D

The early summer heat hasn't zapped me too hard, yet, but I am being careful. Stocked up on Gatorade (on sale-yea!). With it still cooling down to the low to mid-70s overnight, it has stayed temperate enough that I can spend about an hour each evening outside. So there isn't as much to do on Sundays. Have to get pots for some of the Daylilies still waiting in the shipping box. And work the babies Vickie brought down into the yard. Aiiiiii, what she managed to cram into a 2006 Pontiac Gran Prix! Everything was in containers. Dianthus, Iris, Daylilies, Creeping Phlox, a three-foot shrub and some other plants I don't recognize--she even brought down a great big Forsythia! Set the pot on the back floorboard and the branches stretched the full width of the back seat. That one is going somewhere in front, for sure. :-)

We have some 3-gallon size plastic containers at the office that can be rinsed, have the tops cut off, and a few holes drilled in the bottom to make nice planters for the Daylilies. Only cost is a little water and some elbow grease! For my grandniece, that is, who is rinsing as I type. My kind of deal. :-) We also received several small office-type trashcans in a dropped off recycle load. I am recycling some of THEM into temporary Daylily containers, too. I put the Sturm und Drang and Ninja Knight in the ground yesterday. Planted one each Raspberry Truffle, Harvest Moon, Milkshake, and Sunrise Echinaceas, and a May Night Salvia. Gathered a few potted annuals together for one of the office kids to take home. Hopefully, I will have enough energy after work today to do a little more. Forecasted temps at close to 100 every day for the next week at a minimum. No rain in sight. Might have picked the wrong summer to be extravagant with putting in new plants. Guess it will force me to get up at sunrise to water, at least on Saturdays. Have to be at work by 7:30 anyway, maybe it won't be so painful to give up that extra 45 minutes sleep on that onnnnnnnnne day. LOL

Nadine, there is a Daylily named, "Dracula" and I have it on the list for next purchase. There is also one called, Quote the Raven (they didn't get the name quite right, but close enough). I like the work of Poe, only I don't really care for the way the Daylily looks in photos. Pondering that one for awhile. But Dracula I HAVE to get to go with the Bela Lugosi. Don't you think?

Chinese Chariot was open this morning. The red is much darker and more brownish than the web photos. This picture still isn't a true representation, but it's close. It is good I've been getting all the different Daylily variations. Because no telling what colors will actually come out under the conditions here. See how I rationalize my growing addiction? [grin]

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Oooh, Planti, I know exactly what you mean. Pulled photos and descriptions of the 30 Daylilies waiting for pots or planting. Had them printed six to a page and cut them all out. Shuffling them around to get the "best" layout. But STILL looking at the seller's other stuff for the next purchase I KNOW I'm not going to try to resist making.

For extra labor, I make arrangements with the college kids at work. Sometimes they need book money, or they've gotten an expensive traffic ticket, and we barter my loan for their time. Sometimes I just pay them outright at $10/hr. Sometimes, I just be pitiful and say I'm old and broke, would you come do this one little thing for me? LOL If there is a high school or college close to you, and you have a skill or service you want to trade--as simple as maybe laundry or typing papers, just something not too strenuous--OR if you find a community service program (municipal, school, or church?)where the kids need hours--betcha you can make a deal.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Don't forget boyscouts. They can earn badges.
I am back home. I had so-o-o much fun but it is good to be back home. Jerry took good care of my plants and they are doing good.I have some baby tomatoes.
Don't let Debra fool you. She looks like a teenager.You think the car was loaded on the way down there. You should have seen it on the way back. I bought a good supply of scrapbook supplys from Michaels.One small angel statue and one medium sleeping angel cherub statue,2 weedeaters,some grocerys. I got about 10 wooden birdhouses about the size of a cup. Am going to paint them and use them for Christmas tree decorations.I spent 6 hours in Michaels. Was as much fun a going to Disney World.
Did'nt see a health report from you guys Are all of you doing good?
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Boyscouts...hmmm...wouldn't that also--maybe, possibly--mean middle-aged male troop leaders, hmmm?...[grin]

Vickie, a 54-year-old, graying, sagging, overweight, lined teenager. Sort of a blurry version of Dorian Gray's portrait. LOL Comes from never having borne children. Childbirth immediately sucks the youthful looks out of ANYONE!!!! ROFL

I once moved my entire apartment in a Ford Fiesta--the original tin-can matchbox model. (was right after divorce and didn't have a bed or couch at the time, worked okee fine). Women know how to pack for maximum efficiency. :-D

It is safe--now--to let me in Michaels. I have new addiction: Daylilies...must...have...Daylilies...

Jim and Kay, sending you a fan of this one in September. It is so gorgeous, you have to have it. Didn't get up at sunrise, but did go out at 7:30 this morning. Yea, me! A first! Stayed until 9:00 when the sun got too high over the neighbor's trees. Watered the new plants, the containers, and the house foundation in front and on the West side. Discovered a hand miter saw will, indeed, cut off thick plastic container tops, but it would be MUUUUUCH easier with power tools. Unless I get an energy spurt later today, Chuy has an extra job to do for me this week. Used this one to temporarily pot the Awesome Bob Daylily I got for my boss, Bob, as a Father's Day gift. It was Awesome or Thingamabob. Didn't think he'd quite care for the latter, so spent the (deep breath) $47.00 on his Awesome-ness. It is HUGE. Have never seen a Daylily that big before--or spent that much money on a FLOWER before. Since Bob is 6'3" and weighs 350, seems appropriate for him. :-)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 3:31 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Sawed off two more tops.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I went from Michael addiction to flower adiction and have come full circle back to Michaels or actually Hobby Lobby here. I told DD I don't smoke or drink and one has to be addicted to something.
Don't let Debra fool you, she is a very young looking girl.
Was your Fiesta orange? Ours was. That was one good car. We went camping in it. It climbed these mountains good. We were living in Tx at the time and vacationing up here.
Those are beautiful pots. Ilove that blue. Where did you get the containers? I've got 5gal yellow ones from DD,s catlitter.And white ones from school shortning cans.

(Debra) Garland, TX

non-toxic, non-hazardous, biodegradable cleaning agent. a little rinsing and they are good to go

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Way to go!

(Debra) Garland, TX

another Missouri Moon

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.