Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

Midland City, AL

lol. I think we are missing a few of those. Looking into my crystal ball. I see a fragrant plant mail order in the near future. Like, as soon as Kay reads that list. :-) .
Sheri, the "eggo" plant is an ornamental form of eggplant (Solanum ovigerum. A.k.a. Easter Egg Plant, Wonder eggs). This is my first year growing them. They look like a hen’s egg when they are ripe and will turn a warm yellow as they age. It is this season’s just-for-fun plant. With a straight face, Kay tells people how she loathes chickens, but enjoys fresh eggs, so she has decided to grow her eggs. :-)
DG’s PF folks tell me I am mistaken on my ID of the cosmos I posted on Nadine’s birthday. I’ll try to discover what they really are today. I thought it was darker because it grew in partial shade. They fade to a pink in the sun.
How do you go about turning your yard into a certified wildlife habitat, Sheri? Is there a guidebook or something? I think such oases are much needed in suburban areas. Kids need to experience themselves as a part of nature and not always see the wild as disorder to be eliminated. I swear my older GS likes coming here as much to visit with his lizard friends as to see Mimi and Grump-Pa. He’s a lot like his Mimi. It is hard to tell at times when he’s putting you on, but I honestly think he can recognize individual lizards and skinks. He gives them names and gets frustrated with me because I can’t tell Rex from Lightning. lol.
I called my internet provider again. It is still off and on. I checked all the internal lines today and everything looked good. They say their diagnostics show no problem. Something has to be wrong in the house junction box itself. They said they'll check that out tomorrow. Sheri, have you tried composing your post on as a document and then doing a cut and paste here. It will always read as edited and it is an added step, but it saves you the frustration of losing what you’ve written. (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

My 12-year-old grandniece's name is Savannah. We've called here Savannah Banana since she was a baby. Look what I found browsing for something else:

Savannah Banana Split
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/195765/

Seller thought she had it, then, after I paid, discovered they were not shipping quality. I substituted a couple and she sent me the struggling little babies to try growing to toddler stage. If I bees good and attentive, I think I can get four or five viable plants out of what she sent. Very nice of her to have given them to me. :-)

These are the substitutes:

Easy Ned
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/291480/

Quilt Patch
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/234137/

She also had Thin Man priced less than half of the seller where I had it bookmarked. Check it out, Jim and Kay. She sent me two fans...

have had to edit this thing three times because my gibberish came out as gibberish this evening. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/134530/

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 9:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 9:53 PM

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 10:57 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That reminds me of a really funny story! With DD#2 I was in the hospital on bedrest for 6 weeks so I wouldn't have her too soon. There were tons of other high risk pregnancies on the unit, but the one hysterically funny story; a woman was on bed-rest with twins, two girls. She and her husband decided they would each name one. The only problem was that the father picked Savannah and the mother picked Charlotte, both southern cities. At least it wasn't Savannah and Birmingham!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Funny story, and lovely names!

Midland City, AL

lol. That couple definately needed to move south.
Debra, if that DL doesn’t infect your grand-niece with the garden bug, I don’t know what will. My Da loved the name Savannah and considered giving it to me. People often assume I’m very old because Nadine is such an old-fashioned name, but I’m still glad he didn’t name me Savannah. Can you imagine going through life as Savannah Hanna? ROFL.
I imagined Savannah for my own daughter when I still envisioned myself becoming a parent. (Before I did babysitting and realized what parenthood entailed.)
I suppose I don’t have to worry about it now. I broke up with my boyfriend not too long ago. He assures me I am now doomed to become “one of those crazy, old, cat ladies” without him. Oh well, I’ll name the first female cat in my vast collection Savannah. The first male I acquire, I’ll name for my former BF. That way it won’t bother me a bit when I have to take it to the vet to be neutered. ;-) ~Nadine~

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Debra, my eBay article is running today. It's not very good. I was rushed into publication by my editor and a lot of the info isn't even correct.

Nadine, I guess yr name is old fashioned but it's coming back. How about Princess Eugenia? There's a mouthful! (Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's daughter.) My ex's middle name was Eugene and he wanted to name DD#2 Eugenia. I said forget it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Debra, do you have Mitch's e-mail address?

(Debra) Garland, TX

Dmail, Carrie. :-)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I love yellow or any other color Daylily. My favorite colors are yellow and turquoise/blue (like the
Swedish flag), but Peach is another favborite...actually i love all of them and how resiliant they are!!

On becoming a registered wildlife habitat

...check on line- You have to provide food and nesting areas + water. I have planted many Viburnum species (have many volunteers to share!) Sparkle berry, Holly and plant flowers aimed at attracting hummers, songbirds & Butterflies.
When you have a good habitat in place, you're all set to go. and Sweet Woodruff. Also have lots
I have 3 wooded acres and provide water with birdbaths. Front yard is natural woodland shade garden. Many people see my yard and ask ,"Don't you ever mow?" I just smile and tell them that is the area that God cares for!
I am currently overrun with Black-Eyed Susans, Lilly of the Valley, , Sweet Woodruff and Gooseneck Loosestrife if any one wants some. I don't have many scented flowers or foliage and would love to increase that aspect of my garden also .

Oh and---my church is planting a prayer garden. I am trying to find plants mentioned in the Bible , Hyssop, Myrtle, etomec if any of you might have somethng to contribute, that would be awesome!!

Hugs all around,,
Sheri ^_^

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, I will mark the fragrant Daylilies I have as they bloom and send some to you in September. Would love some Lily of the Valley. Was my mother's favorite flower and I haven't yet bought any to put in the memory garden. Do you like Rosemary? They have a wonderful scent, especially when wet. I have a cutting that has taken on almost a topiary shape and is still small enough to ship easily. Could put that either place. Caryopteris also have fragrant foliage and attract bees and butterflies. Agastaches are Hyssop, right?
Deb

I love Rosemary, yes I think Agastaches are Hyssop,will need to look up Caryopteris. I can send a good amount of Lily of the Valley to you for your memory garden.

Sheri

(Debra) Garland, TX

The Agastache is a baby and would be too stressed, I think to send now. But do you want me to ship the Rosemary, or wait until it cools down some in September?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Anything from the Apia.... umbellate family (dill, fennel, parsley, QAL, carrots, etc. might be hyssob -- I think. Not sure.

I can definitely send more than one Stella out once I get DH to dig them. We have gobs and gobs. (Yellow for Sheri.) Sheri we also have a lot of coreopsis 'Moonbeam' which is yellow. Want some of that? No fragrance (that I am aware of).

Midland City, AL

Sheri, the most common plant mentioned in the Bible has to be the fig. Do you have one of those? ‘Brown Turkey is said to be hardy as far north as 7a. Have you ever seen any growing up there? We have plenty of figs.
As a new addition to our fig collection, PJ recently bought something labeled “Dwarf Fig: Edible.” The only growing information was that it has a max height is 6’. It looks like it will stay the size advertised, but “edible” is a broad term. In my experiments with wild foods, I’ve started categorizing them as “tasty”, “blah” and “famine food.” The latter might be “edible,” but you wouldn’t want to eat them if there was a choice. “Blah” is like beautyberries. They don’t have a pronounced taste. They are sort of like a wild version of tofu. :-) “Tasty” is like blackberries. You can eat the food out of hand and enjoy it. I’ll probably add even more categories as the experiment continues.
The ‘Friar’ plums are just about ready for harvest. We should be able to snag them for snacking on the beach along with a watermelon. Kay tried to explain the “plink-plank-plunk” system of deciding if a watermelon is fully ripe. I discovered I have no ear for fruit. I’m watermelon tone deaf. ~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

First bloom from Francis of Assisi

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Young Planet. It is not as intense a red as photographed, but I couldn't get the editing software to get the colors quite right.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They're all beautiful to me but I still don't see why one should cost $1 and another, $50!

When I wrote an article on "The Investor's Garden" (money plant and basket of gold and stuff like that" someone wrote in and said "please do more theme garden articles. When you do a joke article, full of puns, like that one was, you can ignore the fact that the plants could never grow together. For instance I had orchids and tropical plants in my investor's garden. But I don't think a Biblical garden would lend itself to puns and jokes -- and now I think someone else already wrote about it.

I was going to do an article on The Music-lover's Garden. or maybe The Music Appreciation Garden. The problem is, so many DL and iris have great names that it would be a very dull garden, of just DL and iris, or at least a dull article.

(Debra) Garland, TX

How about an article on botanical nomenclature, using a daylily "monster" movie theme? There are DLs called Monster, Monster Magic, Wigged Out, Frankenstein's Monster, Nosferatu, Dracula, Bela Lugosi, Godzilla, Octopus, Octopus Beak. There are Alien, Alien DNA, Alien Encounter, Alien Force, Alien Invasion, Alien Invader, and Alien Garden Party. Might be fun to explore, anyway.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, weird, weird, weird. This is Ruby Fantasy again. Exact same plant, still in the same container. Nothing but water. This one is NOT pink. The phone camera tunes out brownish tints, and it is a more vibrant color in person, although this is pretty close. I don't care for the curling petals, but you sure can see it standing out from a distance.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

First bloom from Cherokee Star. I like it as well as the James Clark. One of the When I Dream should be opening next week. Looking forward to that one.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

I bet someone who really knew daylily names could write a funny, fairytale that was 80% composed of DL names. Something along the lines of:
"‘Look’, ‘" Stella DeOro’ said "I have a ‘Little Wart’".
I told you to use ‘Sandra’s Secret Recipe’ said Stella's ‘Sassy Sister’.
"Do ‘Pardon Me’," said ‘Satan’s Mistress’, but I think you should really see the ‘Three Witches’ for that."........
DG could probably make a contest of it to see who could write the best story using the most DL names. lol. k*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kay, that's a fantastic idea! Mind if I think about it for a while? (2 weeks - 6 months....) Because every cultivar you put in would be a link of course...

I do. agree that plant shipment would be safer later towards fall. With so man of us experiencing record highs, Just 15 minutes in a closed mail vehicle would surely cook them.
Yellow anything is wonderful. I also love anything (usually reds) that attracts hummers.
Someone recently gave me a bunch of white iris' that he had pulled to discard. They will be beautiful in the church prayer garden.
Figs? I love them! My momma had a large bush recently taken out because poisen ivy had taken over. The birds got most of them, but every year I got a few of those yummy figs.

Hugs to all of you, stay cool,

Sheri / BirdieBlue (BTW- there are 5 Bluebird eggs being lovingly incubate in my back yard. They are only a few feet from my deck !! I sure hope I get to watch them fledge!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

YAY bluebirds!

^_^

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, I have a ton of soft yellow bearded Iris if you would like that, too.
Deb

thank you Deb!
I Would enjoy them very much. They need to be planted in the fall, right . or if came right out of the ground, is it OK to plant now. I need to know because someone had donated a few white ones to go in our prayer garden and I don't really know what to do with them- let them dry for Fall planting, or plant now?? Also, they get planted fairly shallow I think---right??

Oh how I wish I had a teen to put to work in my garden since my back and knees are really in bad shape now.

(Debra) Garland, TX

As far as I know, you can plant them now. Might have to water some for a month or so. Reasonably shallow, I think. Might want to look that up. Fall might be better for what you are getting from me so you can stretch out the workload. But just dmail me an address whenever you are ready. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So, is it Sheri or Jim who likes yellow best? Or both? I have moonbeam coreopsis, Stella d'oros, and I just get so sick of yellow! The Stellas should ship fine; the coreopsis is more fragile out of the ground I'm so eager to get rid of it I'll send you my dirt as well! This is all semi-hypothetical, assuming I get the woman-power to assist.

ROFL Carrie, sending dirt

Midland City, AL

Carrie, I don't have any special preference for yellow. but I don't mind it. Our house and barn are painted a sort of harvest yellow. (If I had to choose a favorite bloom color, it would be wine reds/burgundy.) It's pink taking over MY garden space I have trouble with. The ladies have shown restraint in keeping pink out of the Old Soldiers Garden so far.
Sheri, this is probably a dumb question considering your locale, but do you have Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirrns)?
It’s been a bad morning. I’m thinking a 12-foot fence completely surrounding the property might be my next big investment project. Then, I could let the dogs have the run of the place. Some scum stole all my ‘Friar’ plums. Better yet, maybe I’ll let Kay surround the property with her wicked ‘Flying Dragon’ trifoliate oranges. That would be cheaper, and their vicious thorns make them more effective than any manufactured fence. The deer couldn’t have reached all the plums and wildlife just doesn’t do things so neatly and efficiently.
Kay’s in a bad mood, too. The police told her she couldn’t burn the broken limbs and debris from the last few days of storms. The entire state is under a burn ban. Uh-h-h, I don’t know about other parts of the state, but there are mud puddles and standing water everywhere you look here and the humidity is at 60%. There is virtually no chance of a fire getting out of control. Kay’s muttering about “arrogant, simple-minded, control freaks. I definitely need to get her away for awhile. Building and burning brush piles and other types of controlled burns have always been part of Creek land management because a lot of dry debris makes an out-of-control fire more of a possibility. I suspect the holiday has more to do with it than anything. The fire marshal is being overzealous because it is firework season.
I like the look of the maypop vines at the moment, when there are flowers and fruit at the same time.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
(Debra) Garland, TX

First Kachina Dancer bloom. Blurry, but the colors are almost true.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We have gobs of DLs but so far only the yellow (ick) Stellas are blooming.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous! My yellow stellas are starting to bloom. This year it seems like I have so many of THEM. How'd that happen? And for the first time, my orange "ditch" daylilies seem beautiful to me. I am a fickle woman...

(Debra) Garland, TX

I have a new favorite. This one is Dixie Land Band.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Francis of Assisi is still much lighter than all the web photos.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Debra, your Dixie and Francis lilies are beautiful

I had a Carolina Jessamine until some idiot thought it was included in the fence vines to be removed. It had it's own shepherd's crook to grow some [people just have no common sense. He also sawed off a 3-4" diameter limb from my ornamental cherry tree planted 16 years ago. His daughter offered to glue it back on for me with super glue!

Midland City, AL

ROFL

(Debra) Garland, TX

I can think of a thing or two for her to do with that super glue. :/

She was just barely 9.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.