Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

(Debra) Garland, TX

yes. my boss has been selling on ebay for 12 years and has more than 130,000 overall feedbacks. at one time, we were in the top 500 ebay sellers in the world by auction volume. think the principles would be the same for used electronics as for plants.

always check the seller feedback. if seller has low feedback counts--I'd say less than 50--it should merit a very thorough evaluation of the seller. are the feedbacks accrued over a period of time, or is this a new seller who may be trying to rack up a lot of positives in a hurry. can sometimes be a warning flag. the top seller designations are good, but don't bypass a seller just because they haven't yet earned it. ebay rules are increasingly strict for sellers and a lot of good sellers may not have perfect scores, but are still trustworthy. smaller sellers who have a relatively narrow product line are more likely to have higher quality than one who tries to cover EVERY perennial or all types of bulbs, for example, and can't maintain consistency.

is the seller a business or someone selling plants out of their yard? both have good points, but they will usually be different in approach to their buyers. if there are negatives, read what they are in relation to and look for patterns. do they consistently have problems with shipping? with sending correct product? with communication? with customer service for any problems after delivery? do they reply to the negs and seem to be making excuses or always blaming the buyer? if only a few here and there across a spectrum of problem types, could just be temporary issues at their location like changing order systems or personnel, could be any number of issues. also, if the seller has one or more negatives, check all the feedback of the BUYERS leaving the negatives. some buyers have a habit of leaving negs regardless of merit. too many and ebay boots them, but by that time the damage is done.

then the biggest thing is to make sure to read ALL of the auction description, including return policy, shipping, and payments. lots of people just glance at the title and photo, don't read it, and are then surprised by what they get. if you have questions, ask them BEFORE bidding!!!!! don't wait until you've won or did a buy it now, then find out it isn't what you thought or wanted. last, if you have a problem, communicate communicate communicate with the seller BEFORE taking any other action. give them a fair shot at resolving the problem before filing a case with eBay or leaving bad DSRs or bad feedback.

that's my perspective after eight years of being on the seller's customer service end, and about four years as a buyer. let me know if you want any other information. :-)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Bela Lugosi, first blooms early this morning.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Will take another photo this afternoon. They always look different. Part of why I like them, I guess. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

5:30 pm

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

'Bela Lugosi' is the PERFECT name for that DL! Beautiful!
It is quiet here. It has rained off and on all day and MK is recovering from a wasp sting. The wasp built a nest alongside a seldom-used outdoor electrical outlet and she went to plug in an extension cord to recharge the battery of the lawn tractor. They stung her on the wrist. The reaction isn't too bad. She is taking allergy meds and as much echinacea as she dares. The allergy meds just make her drowsy so she is sleeping a lot.
I set two post in concrete at the top of the entrance ramp into the Soldier's Garden and gave the kitchen a much needed deep cleaning. I noticed some Sugar Baby watermelons coming up. They were planted late. I wasn't sure they would sprout. Love those little guys. I can hardly believe the yellow snapdragons with theslight lemon scent are STILL blooming. They are like bright yellow versions of the Energizer bunny. They keep going, and going, and going..... I planted them in fall. I thought snapdragons were annuals. ~N~

mulege, Mexico

Snaps are a tender perennial. The live for years in the San Francisco Bay area. Nice that they are scented.

kb

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is. Received the Dracula, Wait Until Dark, and Quote the Raven today. They are all going close to ol' Bela this weekend. The seller put a Fox Ears in. That one should be fun to watch.

Fox Ears
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/252986/

He also put in the Brown Witch I asked for. Should look really good with Teenie Girl and Third Witch.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/60090/

Also gifted:

Cranberry Winter
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/AlabamaGardenGal/2007%20daylily%20photos/?action=view¤t=CranberryWinter1.jpg&

Clockwork
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOCKWORK-DF-L1F-Kaskel-1999-DAYLILY-/290570569156#vi-desc

Passion District
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/221268/

The goal with all the purple/yellows and red/yellows is to let them all bloom for a year and winnow out the ones I like best. Then rehome the ones similar, but maybe not quite what I was looking for or that bloom at the same time as a very similar one does. That kind of thing. Have moved on to spider and unusual forms, too. My grandniece is named Savannah. We call her Savannah Banana. Guess what daylily I found--and bought? Savannah Banana Split. :-D

(Debra) Garland, TX

Okay, this is unexpected. Same exact plant as the James Clark above. Look at the color difference.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Debra, that's what I would have told someone years ago but now the feedback is all rolled into one score; you can't pick out which is for slow shipping and which is for bad product. (Can you?)

BTW my Mitch flats arrived. 3/4 were gorgeous, the 4th the tiny babies had all fallen out of their holes. I emailed him and he sent me another one with older plants = bigger root systems.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Debra, it sounded like you may have had a hard time getting a drainage hole in your homemade container so I thought I would share what I’ve learned turning just about anything into plant containers over the years.
classic drill bit isn’t usually the best tool for the job. Below is a picture of some different drill bits that you can ask for at HD or Lowe’s. The step-up bit is my personal favorite. (The one that looks sort of like a cone.) You can get different size holes without having to change the bit and you can even use it on Plexiglas without breakage. The one that looks like Poseidon’s trident is called a spade bit. It is usually used for cutting larger holes in wood, but can be use for softer plastic that aren’t prone to shatter. The one that looks like a standard drill bit with a circular saw around it is called a hole saw and will work for metal and most plastics.
Those friendly looking, cordless drill drivers are convenient, multi-purpose tools I think any homeowner should have. The more intimidating looking corded drill is better for this particular job though if you think you might be doing it more than once. On many models the bit is still changed out using a chuck key, but that isn’t complicated. A corded drill has more power and the cordless numbers always run out of juice at the most inconvenient time. I think the extra power of a corded drill is better. (They are usually a lot cheaper than a cordless drill set too.) Making your own containers gets to be fun after you get the hang of it. You will start experiencing the side effect of seeing just about anything as a potential plant container so be warned. :-) Even if you aren’t interested in creating your own containers again, this is good to know. Sometimes, an expensive container will not come with the drainage hole already done, in case it is wanted for a bog/water plant or some other purpose all together. Using the wrong drill bit for the job can be a costly mistake. I know this from experience. :-( Anyway, it is good information to have filed away in your head and you can impress the heck out of the clerk at the hardware store by knowing what to ask for.
My arm isn’t swollen or hot anymore from the sting. Jim has gone out for his sunset wasp hunt. lol. My money is on the wasp. They can get very creative about places to build nest.
I'm going to go snag Nadi or Jim to tell me about the new DLs. :-) k*

Thumbnail by Amargia
(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you, Kay. About tools I know zip-it-ee-do-dah. Do want to have more constructions/destruction projects, so the information will be helpful.

Carrie, if you check the feedback comments, good and bad, many times there will be references to what was most appealing to that buyer. Fast shipping, as described, and what-not. In our case, probably 75% of our positives mention the speed of our shipping. (We ship by next business day after payment receipt.) So that's a strong selling point for us.

If the buyer leaves a negative, sometimes they will be specific and sometimes just say, basically, don't buy here. If the seller gets several negs with the same theme, especially if they start popping up all at once, red flag warning is in effect. Wayside Gardens is a good example. I bought literally hundreds of plants from them when they were selling under Perfect Plant. Most were very good and they immediately fixed any problems I had. Then their financial issues and bankruptcy started, customer service went down the tubes, and the negs started piling up in a hurry. They don't sell on eBay now.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore as a seller. But the seller can choose to reply to the negs. Most don't, however, if they do, you can see if they are defensive or pragmatic or make excuses.

Clicking on the seller feedback score takes you to the seller feedback profile. To the right is the Detail Seller Ratings chart (DSRs). One star is lowest and five is highest. The stars will show ratings differentials. If there are consistently lower ratings for shipping time or communication, that is a good indicator of less attention to that area. Not necessarily a horrible problem, because eBay now has strict rules for the number of 1 and 2 DSRs sellers can get before being sanctioned. But, for example, if fast shipping is primary to you and the seller has lower DSRs for shipping time than anything else, maybe you want to think twice.

As for the buyer, if you see a negative from him or her, click on THEIR feedback number. Then select the Feedback Left For Others tab. If that buyer leaves a high number of negs, I'd tend to ignore whatever he or she said. And I know I am going to catch flack for this one from somebody. Gonna say it anyway. Particularly ignore the feedback if the buyer has a definitive religious reference in their buyer ID. Chances are really high that person will cause you trouble on general principle. It is an unfortunate observation (based on 12 years experience and nearly 150,000 overall transactions) that persons who feel the need to strongly profess their religiousness through the user IDs are the most volatile, unreasonable, and demanding users on eBay--selling or buying. That is different from those who have honestly held strong beliefs. These are more the people who expect sellers to understand that rules and policies do not apply to them because they are so publicly self-righteous. I'd say do not pay attention to their comments and do not buy from them. :/

ANY questions at all before buying, contact the seller. Try to ask questions that require more than a Yes/No answer. While it is against eBay policy to use their messaging system to write other buyers trashing a particular seller or member, it is perfectly acceptable to write others and ask about their seller experiences.

Distilled point, I guess, is eBay is a fine place to buy as long as you take some preliminary precautions, make the effort to speak up if you need information, and understand that a bid means you have agreed to the stated item description and all the seller's policies.

Midland City, AL

My large collection of tools is my one collection of things Kay never complains about. She is almost as bad as I am where tools are concerned. I still have to listen to grumbles about “packrat tendencies” in regards to my old comic books and 70’s albums.
Yes, Carrie, I would like having a start of Stella D’oro. BTW, did the cannas arrive okay or was the timing bad. Did they get there while you were on vacation? Kay laughed at the way I packaged them. She said it looked like I was mailing out pipe bombs.
I like the recent DG articles on where to buy plants. Kay chewed me out once for buying plants through Publishers Clearing House. (Books and magazines, yes. Plants, NO!) Her philosophy is if they don’t have a specific passion for plants, don’t buy from them. The more passionate a nursery is about plants, the more likely she is to buy from them. Cistus Nursery is her current favorite. There is definitely no shortage of plant passion there and she has this idea that if you can’t get it in a local nursery, at least look for a nursery with a similar climate. Although Cistus is in the NW part of the country, their climate isn’t that different from ours. They have a good selection of Mediterranean plants and tough tropicals that work well here. The question she put forward, when I mentioned buying plants from eBay was, “Do you know the physical location the plants are coming from?”
Would you like an established plant of the burgundy lily in fall, Debra? I’m not sure whether it is ‘Sungod’ or ‘Landini’. I originally received it as part of a “black and white” lily package deal. I think the color would work well with some of your daylilies, but give the added interest of some change in foliage and plant form. Brown Witch’ is striking. I like the darker green throat of the newest bloom on ‘James Clark’, but think both versions look great. Did you change the location of the container?
I’m trying to convince the ladies they should take Saturday’s off with limited success. They did move a few loads of dirt for the ramp. Still only about half finished, but the job expanded as they went to include leveling out the entire Fragrance Garden. That tends to be the way things go around here. Kay worked yesterday on the retaining wall for the Soldier’s Garden. We are doing it from recycled material, as usual. She still has a lot of work to do on both retaining walls to “pretty things up”, but I think it will be fine when she is finished.
Vickie sent some Black-eyed Susan seeds. Those are stealing the show in the garden at the moment. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Debra, I didn't know about the new DSR is that what it's called). Jim I think yes, they did arrive while we were off somewhere but now they are growing happily in old 7-up 2liter bottles. They'll need to be transplanted soon but first I need to dispose (wrong word) dispense dis-something of or with, TEND TO my 576 plugs!!!

So very neat, how a seed from AR flowers in AL! Once you plant black eyed susans, you may have them forever, though.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Yes, I would like a burgundy lily. Thank you. :-) The James Clark was not moved. I've read that sometimes first blooms from daylilies will be lighter or different from photos of established plants. Could be what happened here. Fun, anyway.

Three of the people who put in the new bed. Was a teeny bit warm today. LOL Put bottles of Gatorade in the freezer until slushy. Good stuff. If I get out tomorrow, will put some of the short potted plants in this bed to fill it out. Really looking forward to watching it develop. Thought the soil here would be clay like the rest of the yard, but it was good friable dirt. Maybe from all the leaf debris over the years? But, they didn't have to skim any off or mix any of the 20 bags of potting soil I now have sitting under the carport. AND, had exactly enough mulch to cover. Yea me!

Boss let me close the retail store on Saturdays until August 2, and is changing the collection event procedures. So I should only have to work a maximum of one Saturday a month for awhile. Weird feeling not having to get up early tomorrow EITHER. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Full on. Going to put a smaller teardrop-shaped up by the house between the new bed and the fence. Right in that bright patch of sunshine.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Safe Island from today. Still a pastel bloom, but it does seem to be darker than the first one coming off the plant. Hopefully, it will be the same as the James Clark. As they were planting for me yesterday, I started setting aside the Amargia September-shipping potted Daylily collection. Will list it out as it gets closer, and you three can tell me which ones you want. Want to wait until all have been received and I know what extras I will have first. Sending a James Clark for sure, though. :-)

Sun should be over the gardening "yard arm" in a bit. Not too bad today in full shade, so going out then to put some Mexican Heathers, Marigolds, Early Sunrise Coreopsis, and Vanilla Gazanias between the new Dayilies. Have other stuff I can't remember now, but might sling those out, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Have a Frans Hals and When I Dream set aside for sure, too.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim and Kay, do you want a Chinese Chariot?
Will be posting photos of the others as the bloom.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm not telling DH you guys are sharing dayliles! Every named daylily we received became a NOID soon after we planted it because he doesn't understand that it loses value if you don't know who it is. For a while we just added $3 dayliles, now they ALL need to be divided and that's a job I can't do myself. We have a wall of DL between us and the street. Very nice in the summer, but I know they would bloom a lot more if they were divided.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Darker Shade bloomed again this morning. Had almost a mahogany tint in the sun. I be happy!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Different angle.

Also, Ruby Fantasy was opening this morning, but hadn't quite. Will take photo when get home.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have potential space for any day lilies that need new homes. would surely pay shipping. I love the way Day Lilies seem to survive reguardless of the weather.

Sheri

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, I am sure there will be extras, and will be happy to let you know. Besides, I still have a few on my order list and this vendor is extraordinarily generous with his included bonuses. :-)

Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheri,
Do you need IDs on your DLs? If I can get DH to dig them out, and that's a big big IF, I will send you some.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, Ruby Fantasy is blooming a deep fuschia. Going to wait to see how the blooms come out when it is in the ground rather than a container. I AM going to slide a pink daylily in the shipment, but only if fragrant, and this one isn't. So if it stays pink, you're safe. :-D

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

“Chinese Chariot” sounds lovely. Both Jim and Nadi like Chinese red. You know our color schemes and themes at Amargia, Debra. Any extra daylilies you have that you think would work here are welcome and appreciated. Funds are going toward hard-scaping and soil improvement this year. The cost of cement is rising. I didn’t expect that. Perhaps, I should take a page from your book and see what I can find in recycled concrete. Yesterday’s weather allowed the three of us to take our Sunday walk-about the property. I think Jim and Nadi are feeling the lack of lots of pretty things to look at. (I come from the delayed gratification generation so I’m not suffering as much. lol.) Creating a successful natural system that is self improving and low maintenance floats my boat. But, that is way too abstract for Jim, Nadi or Tara and not something that is obvious to casual observation. They need to easily see evidence that we are making progress. Daylilies are quite happy with the current conditions without much help. From your experience, are DL’s best purchased in Spring or Autumn? Jim and Nadi have both started doing data entry work so things should start improving financially. There is a need for audio to print data entry too. That is basically what I did as a medical transcriptionist so I will come out of retirement and make a contribution as well.
I remember seeing Rudbeckia hirta growing wild here when I was young. They are a rare sight in the wild now. I have noticed subtle changes in the climate over the last 40 years. I suppose that is why. Vickie’s black-eyed susans are like childhood friends that have been away a long time and have finally come home. They don’t grow here the way they grow in your part of the world, Carrie. I’ve never seen the huge masses of them here the way I saw them in……Ooops, I think I may be suffering some “M” state confusion too. I believe it was Maryland where I saw them in such profusion. Anyway, they don’t seem to have thuggish tendencies in our environment. I suspect they need it to be a little cooler for maxed out growth. Speaking of maxed out, Rudbeckia maxima, an 8’ tall version of black-eyed susans does grow wild in this area, but only in very specific conditions. Light shade and reliable moisture. Also some Rudbeckia lacinata that I assume is native. I know it has long been a food plant for the Creek and other native tribes. (The young leaves and stems were eaten.) Carrie, is there a neighbor or someone you know nearby who likes daylilies? Many of Amargia's plant collections came from exchanging my help digging and gividing for cuttings and divisions. (Usually, of the plant I was digging and dividing.) That is where all my irises came from. There are always hobby gardeners who don't care about the official cultivar name and poor flower fanatics who are willing to search for the ID. New homeowners (especially first-time buyers) tend to be a enthusiastic, but financially strapped lot. The ideal diggers and dividers of plants.
Sheri, is there any particular colors or a theme you are shooting for in your yard? Or, are you going for a cottage'y sort of look.
Planti, is summer at full force there yet?
It was a productive morning. Jim spent it on the riding mower. Nadi worked on the w/c ramp and I weeded. The recent rains have revived everything including the weeds. We think we finally have the internet working right. They tell us as of 7 p.m. tomorrow we will have 10 mbs. It is 1.5 now. Meaning, if anyone streams, everyone else has glitches. That should help restore peace to our little green techno- kingdom. BTW, Debra, we are using the computer you sent for word processing, but haven’t succeeded hooking it into the net. Jim is going to try wiping the harddrive and reload Windows once we are sure the net itself isn’t causing trouble. The other 3 computers in the house have been crashing so we want that worked out first.
It is cool enough to go back outside. Have a great evening all. k*

(Debra) Garland, TX

I like the colors of the Chinese Chariot, and I am finding I prefer the forms in which the tips of the petals stay outward rather than curving back underneath. One of the fun aspects of this massive buying spree is seeing the subtle variances in what otherwise appear to be very similar blooms. I like getting them in Spring better since I do get some, if not instant, at least "sooner" gratification in those that bloom same year rather than having to wait for the following year to see. In southern areas, I don't think there is much functional difference in when you plant.

My boss is having a stone retaining wall put across the back of his property this week. I betcha I can persuade him to give me any leftovers. Previous owners had laid a double row of pavers in the back yard as a sort of path. For me, it's just something over which weeds and grass grow. Had the crew dig then all up and bring around to the front. Odd how much larger the back yard looks now. Might use them to build the next bed, might save for laying around the base of the planters we will build in the Fall. Dunno yet. The yard does seem to talk to me with each step I take. No reason to try rushing it along now. :-)

Kay, if the computer is still problematic after the Internet is corrected and the other computers online, I can have my tech manager phone Jim. After all, he IS the guy who put it together and loaded the operating software. He might have left out one little bitty step or something which he won't remember until someone is saying, "But it ISN'T doing that!!" THAT's when he'll say, "Oh, yeah, you have to do THIS, too." LOL

Here, Jim. One from last year that I don't remember...but it is definitely NOT pink!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

Thanks, I needed that last one to help me recover from 'Ruby Fantasy. :-)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Not to worry, Jim. Ruby won't find her way to Alabama.

mulege, Mexico

I've tried daylillies here but I think I need to wait until the east side of the arroyo which will be fairly cool and shady is done.

I also like letting the garden tell me what it wants. And I like taking my time putting things together and being able to tweak it.

Tony is taking his father to Santa Rosalia tomorrow for a doctor's appointment. I will still be taking it easy recovering from the virus I picked up in Ca. Besides resting and pushing liquids with extra vitamin C I don't think there's much to do for it. I'm getting better, just not fast enough to suit me.

I have 10-12 small cherimoya trees that I am babying. And lots of little goldenberry plants - I think they are going to be a big sucdess here and I'm very happy about that. We've got lots of dragonfruit plants but no fruit yet. The goldenberries should begin producing this year. I have lots of little plants and soon will be able to give some of them away.

The foot surgery went very well for Tony's son Antonio. He had an extra piece of bone in his foot and it has made it very painful for him. I don't know if they had to wait until he was grown up to operate but it is done now and he's very happy. I'm hoping he will be able to start at the university this fall as he is very smart and has already taken a year off after finishing high school. I've known and loved him since he was four - something I try not to remind him of too often.

The dogs and I are being very lazy in this hot and humid weather. I have some plumarias blooming; also some sunflowers. I may get some ornamental corn.

There are still lots of birds around. I give them a little food and water. They also eat the rice that is left from the dogs' food - often with one of the dogs no more than a foot away.

Scout, the dog who was visiting, now seems to be permanent. We have not heard from Jon, her owner. Her other owner is in a small apartment in Malibu which would not work at all for Scout. She's very sweet but too big to be a lap dog though that doesn't keep her from trying. And she's used to being outside a lot. All five dogs are getting along quite well. I'm not big on training them except to insist that they all get along.

Neighbor's Dana and Tom leave their cat Chocolate here when they go to Washington State for the summer and he ends up living here too. Sharing food with my outdoor cat. Tony is taking care of their plants and we had two Hawiian-type papayas from a tree which I gave them. I have some of the same papayas ripening in my yard. The green papayas sat on the trees all winter; it was too cold for them to ripen. I have a lot of little papaya trees and we will experiment with putting some of them in a few of the hot spots to see if we can get some to ripen in the winter.

katie

I enjoy any color. ID is nice but NOID is fine too! I have a natural woodland wildflower front yard. After some winter tree pruning....there are now spots that get a good bit of sun.

Happy dance, Happy Dance! ^_^ front yard is natural woodland wildflower garden & an official wildlife habitat with a big sign on a big old Oak tree. I actually had a flying squirrel momma nesting in a Blue-Bird box. So beautiful!!

I miss communicating with you all, but puter is really messed up and erases about 95% of what I write. Typing a message over & over & over again, only to look up at a blank note is extremely frustrating

Happy dance & hugs,
Sheri

mulege, Mexico

Congratulations, Sheri. I'll do a happy dance with a slight limp.
Especially happy about the flying squirrels.

Hope your puter gets better.

katie

Hi Katie.

I can not imagine a summer hotter than here, Hopefully you get some nice sea breezes during Siesta time.

Happy days ^_^

Sheri

(Debra) Garland, TX

Look at Bela today. Same plant. Darker purple. Camera is adding some shiny gleam, but it is a matte color, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

Boy 'Bela' has lots of contrast the whites and the yellows with that almost Night time purple and there's the POOF!
bees are happy a pollen explosion :-) (Jim)

Hay let go of my eggo it is growing fast now.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

Ok...What is that 'eggo' plant??

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Sheri, I missed the note about becoming a national wildlife refuge. It seems to me, that's definitely the way to go.

If I can get my, frantically busy DH to dig any DL fans, I will send them to you. How do you feel about yellow? We have a yellow monster, it was the first (no ID of course,we didn't know about those back then) daylily we bought and is in the best spot with the best drainage and the most sun and everything. It was gigantic after 8 years so I finally persuaded him he HAD to divide it. He felt like he was killing it. That was 3-4 years ago and now they are BOTH as huge as the mother used to be. I think I have thus persuaded him that DLs like to be divided, it's not a debatable issue like, say, abortion or gun-control, it is just plain a Good Thing. (Note: I am NOT bringing up either of those other topics for debate!)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Or like Pepsi or Coke. :-D

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

FRAGRANT FLOWERS according to Marie Ianotti

Daphne (Daphne cneorum)
Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles speciosa)
Freesia spp.
Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum)
Jonquils (Narcissus jonquilla)
Lilac (Syringa vulgaris)
Magnolia spp.
Mock Orange (Philadelphus spp.)
Sweet Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
Sweet Pea (Lathyrus spp.)

SUMMER

Angel’s trumpet (Brugmansia spp.)
Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens)
Hosta plantaginea (and many of its hybrids like ‘Aphrodite’ and ‘Guacamole’)
Hyssop (Agastache spp.)
Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
Lavender (Lavendula spp.)
Lilies (Lilium spp.)
Peony (Peonia spp.)
Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata)
Pinks (Dianthus Caryophyllus)
Rose (old roses, English roses and some hybrids)
Star Jasmine (Jasminum multiflorum)
Summersweet (Clethra spp.)
Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa)

Late SUMMER / FALL

Butterfly ginger (Hedychium coronarium)
Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata)
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
Naked Lady (Lycoris squamiger)
Night-blooming jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum).
Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis dioscoreifolia)

EVENING

Columbine, Fragrant Columbine (Aquilegia fragrans)
Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana)
Four-o'clocks (Mirabilis jalapa and M. longiflora)
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
Night Gladiolus (Gladiolus tristus)
Night-blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum)
Pinks (Dianthus plumarius)
Stock (Matthiola incana)

GROUND COVERS

Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
Corsican mint (Mentha requienii)
Lily of the Valley (Convalaria majalis)
Pennyroyal (Mentha ecumbens)
Sweet Woodruff (Asperula odorata)
Thyme (Thymus serpyllum, T. herbabarona, T. caespititius)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://gardening.about.com/od/flowergardening/a/Fragrant-Flowers-And-Plants.htm?nl=1

I should have just done that to begin with!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.