Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10
Amargia wrote:
Debra, it sounded like you may have had a hard time getting a drainage hole in your homemade container so I thought I would share what I’ve learned turning just about anything into plant containers over the years.
classic drill bit isn’t usually the best tool for the job. Below is a picture of some different drill bits that you can ask for at HD or Lowe’s. The step-up bit is my personal favorite. (The one that looks sort of like a cone.) You can get different size holes without having to change the bit and you can even use it on Plexiglas without breakage. The one that looks like Poseidon’s trident is called a spade bit. It is usually used for cutting larger holes in wood, but can be use for softer plastic that aren’t prone to shatter. The one that looks like a standard drill bit with a circular saw around it is called a hole saw and will work for metal and most plastics.
Those friendly looking, cordless drill drivers are convenient, multi-purpose tools I think any homeowner should have. The more intimidating looking corded drill is better for this particular job though if you think you might be doing it more than once. On many models the bit is still changed out using a chuck key, but that isn’t complicated. A corded drill has more power and the cordless numbers always run out of juice at the most inconvenient time. I think the extra power of a corded drill is better. (They are usually a lot cheaper than a cordless drill set too.) Making your own containers gets to be fun after you get the hang of it. You will start experiencing the side effect of seeing just about anything as a potential plant container so be warned. :-) Even if you aren’t interested in creating your own containers again, this is good to know. Sometimes, an expensive container will not come with the drainage hole already done, in case it is wanted for a bog/water plant or some other purpose all together. Using the wrong drill bit for the job can be a costly mistake. I know this from experience. :-( Anyway, it is good information to have filed away in your head and you can impress the heck out of the clerk at the hardware store by knowing what to ask for.
My arm isn’t swollen or hot anymore from the sting. Jim has gone out for his sunset wasp hunt. lol. My money is on the wasp. They can get very creative about places to build nest.
I'm going to go snag Nadi or Jim to tell me about the new DLs. :-) k*