Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161333/

Welcome to the new Practical Matters thread. Here, we share information and our day-to-day experiences of gardening while also dealing with conditions that physically limit us in some way. Contributors here are finding ways to garden and enjoy the outdoors while also handling challenges ranging from the energy deficits caused by Depression, the trials of TMB (Too Many Birthdays), Multiple Sclerosis, Fibro-myalgia, Degenerative Disk Disease, visual impairments and more. .Feel free to join us. We are an inclusive group. We don't even discriminate against the young and able-bodied. :-) Kay* .

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kay,
In fact we need the young and able bodied to cheer us on.Hugs Nadene.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Kewl.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I love the Trials of "TMB".............well, not the trials actually, but the label of course! I really cannot believe that I am now in my 60's.
Heck , I'm a Woodstocker!

Midland City, AL

If the Lord does turn out to be willing and that creek don’t rise, Debra, could you post a picture of Vickie when she visits? Then, I can do a better job on the Granny Goon biker chick cartoon. Don’t worry, Vickie, I’ll still keep it vague looking enough that law enforcement agencies won’t be able to use it on the “Wanted” posters and you KNOW none of us will turn you in.
This morning I made the Vinegar Sling with apple cider vinegar this and no baking soda. It's more sour than the kiddie version, but Kay drank it down without hesitation. It got a wince from Papa Jim when he first tasted it, but he drank it down too. Of course, they both like Kimchi, Korean pickled cabbage. (Whew,that stuff can be wicked.) MK says my taste buds haven't quite grown up yet. :-)
When I think Woodstock, the first thing that comes to mind is Snoopy's bird buddy. The fact that the Woodstock generation managed to grow up, gives me hope for mine. :-) ~Nadine~

This message was edited May 21, 2011 3:04 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2011 3:17 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Is Vickie actually, truly gonna visit? So jealous.

We have a week vacation booked a hotel w/out an accessible room. Not that they have them and it's booked, just they don't have them. Yikes. Hope it is actually relaxing for DH!!!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, I will do my best. :-)

Carrie, she is coming to visit relatives and I will be meeting her when she stops to rest on the drive down.

Busy afternoon. Wish DG would fix it so we can post more than one photo at a time, but, in the meantime, planted four Zinnias, a Dahlberg Daisy, a Carl Sedum, five Cosmic Eye Coreopsis, a Daniel Deronda Clematis, a Malaya Garnet Clematis, a Roguchi Clematis, and three Vanilla Gazanias. Moved a Warminster Broom and three dwarf Canna tubers. And...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

...this sad looking Summer Sorbet Caryopteris...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

...should be looking like this joyous Summer Sorbet Caryopteris...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

...was standing there, just pondering, when inspiration clubbed me over the head. Move it to the hole where we dug up the Graham Thomas Rose. Think it will be much happier with more sun.

I am very happy with the way the yard is looking. The Rose of Sharons are all in bloom (including the one recently moved to the curbside strip, 3/4 of the daylilies have scapes, new plants are thriving for the most part-this one is Geranium Rozanne- we've had some rain (expecting more later today), and the temps have been reasonable. Reveling in it and trying not to think about July and August. LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Amargia Gladioli seem to like Texas. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Debra, I've got your red and yellow zinnia too. I get a thrill hearing what you have blooming not just for you but i know mine will be in bloom a couple weeks later.
Actually all, I'm going to visit Debra and will visit the family since I'm already that way. I'm gettin more excited everyday. Now if only we ALL could get together.

Midland City, AL

Yeah, me too. It seems like everytime we get a little extra money set aside for a trip. something happens to gobble it up. I don't think MK and PJ could travel rough anymore. Flying to Dallas, then renting a RV seems the way to go. Gas prices are UNREAL! I'll say it again, if we are going to have gas prices like Europe's, we need a public transportation system like Europe's. I liked traveling by train.
MK planted some rose periwinkle in the west boundary bed of the CanDo Garden. We are hoping the pink vinca and the pink oxalis will work as a sort of tag team. The idea is the rose periwinkle will pick up the pink-flowered groundcover theme when the oxalis takes its summer siesta. Tropical periwinkle can take the heat.
I planted some scarlet sage in the bed with the coreopsis and blue salvia. That way I will still get the primary colors combo I want even if my pomegranate doesn’t fruit this year. I’ve only seen blooms on four of the pomegranate bushes and the one in the center of my bed is not among those I saw flowers on. It seems odd to me the pomegranate bushes in partial shade will be the first to produce fruit. I’m guessing it is because those bushes haven’t suffered as much from the July/August heat stresses so they’ve matured faster. My little bed in the Standing Garden is in full sun.
PJ started making perfume oil from what he calls gardenia and MK calls Cape Jasmine. calling the perfume by its traditional name, “Full Moon Oil," settled part of their dispute. This is one plant that will end up being called by its botanical name. Lucky for me Gardenia jasminoides rolls easily off the tongue. I told them they could compromise by referring to it by its Japanese nane, “kuchinashi.” (≧∇≦) Mk couldn't quite wrap her tongue around it.
Your place looks gorgeous, Debra. Kudos for achieving a lush look working mostly with plants that need little water. ~Nadine~

(Debra) Garland, TX

I am so happy with my yard today. :-)

Caryopteris Sunshine Blue

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

that is a very stunning yellow/green!!
What is it?

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is a Caryopteris Sunshine Blue shrub. Blue Spirea, I think it is sometimes called. :-)

Well,a big "Duh" for me!! I just noticed that 8indeed it had already been labeled above your photo.

(Debra) Garland, TX

i don't mind saying it again. love these shrubs. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone! I'm trying to keep up with composition lessons and two articles a month

(Debra) Garland, TX

hi carrie!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I had catfish at my birthday dinner in honor of scraps - my first experience with it and it was delicious! (The Cheesecake Factory Recipe probably didn't hurt....)

Midland City, AL

I love catfish and hushpuppies!!!
The ‘Red Sentinel’ astilbe I ordered finally came in. Kay put it in the ground for me. The temps are back up in the 90’s, but we are hoping the astilbe won’t suffer much from heat stress since they are in the shade. We still have some black raspberries to plant, but they will initially go into a cool micro-climate. Kay says she won’t buy any more plants until it cools off. Yeah. Right. Sure. ;-) (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Then you have time to get more Daylily space ready for September, right? I, um, sorta let go of control on the eBay seller's listings from whom I got those lovely reds you saw earlier, Jim. And nine more Daylilies later...if they are as generous as the first batch, you guys will need the space when I share...LOL

Check these out. Think Nadine will like one or two of them? Most are rebloomers and some are fragrant, too, for Kay.

Third Witch
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/142605/

Teenie Girl
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/125522/

Geneva Firetruck
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/211733/

Mary Lightfine
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/115567/

Dixie Land Band
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/9381/

Francis of Assisi
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/28881/

Vatican City
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/19523/

Darker Shade
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=182967&n=DARKER-SHADE---DF---L3D---Stamile-1992---DAYLILY

Ruby Fantasy
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=165196&n=RUBY-FANTASY---DF---L3J---Kirchhoff-D-2002---DAYLILY

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Whoa, those are some beauties!!!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Oh, my gosh! Got the Daylilies today. Look at the bonus ones he sent.

Kachina Dancer
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/product.php?id=PGD1393&browse=1

Safe Island
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/s/safe-island-david-kirchhoff-2001-9204

Zoro's Blade
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=52289&n=ZOROS-BLADE---DF---L2G---Shooter-F-2002---DAYLILY--

I love this seller. :-) [yippee, hurray, cartwheels!!!]

(Debra) Garland, TX

Havent run across a seller like this one in a long time. He takes the time to consider the order and matches the bonuses to the same colorway and type. A whole new bed is forming in my head and I'll start rounding up the worker bees to get to digging up a big ol' chunk of the front yard sometime next week.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh boy, more daylilies for Jim and Nadi to check out and debate the merits of. Jim’s favorites among the first batch were the ‘Mary Lightfine’ and ‘Dixieland Band’ while Nadi’s favorites were ‘Vatican City’ and ‘Darker Shade’. That surprised me. I thought it would be just the opposite. That will teach me to think. :-)
I don’t mind listening to their arguments over the merits of various flowers. A VIP can pick up on interesting visual details in the course of their debates.
Will you put your new acquisitions in holding containers until fall temps arrive, Debra? Or, put them directly in the ground? That’s always a tough decision for me. I don’t dare leave anything in a container smaller than one gallon in the summer. Larger is even better. They dry out too fast and the soil can really heat up. On the other hand, if it is in the ground, I’m always afraid I will not give it the special attention it needs to become well established. I have so much going on over such a wide area I can forget things that aren’t right in my face on a daily basis. (That could be a VIP thing since we don’t get ongoing visual reminders.) Sometimes, I think it would be nicer to have a smaller space. It is like writing. I’ve read short stories that seemed perfect. The perfectly worded novel has yet to be written. It would feel like a luxury to have the time to pay more attention to details. I would not be able to have many of the gentle giants I so love, however, such as mature pecan trees so a semi-wild look it is for Amargia.
I usually compromised with a nursery bed to get new perennials through their first summer, but I want to experiment with Vickie’s Styrofoam planter idea. They are very inexpensive this time of year and I suspect the Styrofoam might help stabilize the soil temp. If a Styrofoam minnow bucket could do that I wouldn’t have to use such large volumes of soil.
Great, Planti, I just noticed your dandelion oil making thread is up. k*

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Made some double strength oil this time around, Kay. It works great but is not the best smelling oil I've made. So I don't care if I stink if it helps pain. Fortunately, my DH uses it, too, so we can smell weird together :) LOL

I received a surprise in the mail today. It was a good size box marked 'this end up...live plants'. the return address label showed one familiar Jack--oops---Donkey and also bore the bold nameArmagia! I was so excited to see what was in the box.
Let me tell you, for those who have never experienced opening one of Jim's (or perhaps Kay's) securely packed and taped, nearly impossible packages to open- it was a definite challenge. ^_^ But definitely worth the work unpacking!!

Inside was a hand painted bucket (perhaps a recycled paint can (plastic though). The rim at the top is painted an exquisitely bright blue. Around the can "walls" were beautiful Bluebirds!! On one side they are on a black background and the other half has a white background. Carefully and lovingly planted inside are those lovely pink flowering Shamrocks.

It is beautiful and so special! Thank You so much. I just love you guys!!

BirdieBlue/ Sheri ^_^

Midland City, AL

Glad you like it, Sheri. I hope that is enough Fairy Bells to finish off the project you were considering. Yes, that is one of Nadine's paint cans turned hanging planter recycles. She painted that one specifically with you in mind so you can have a little piece of the outdoors on those days when it is difficult to actually get outside. Pink oxalis makes an easy houseplant that stays in flower much of the time.
Didn't someone say very recently on this thread that they were not going to buy anymore plants this year? That is curious since there seem to be some new green arrivals on the porch in nursery pots. They suspiciously showed up after a shopping trip on which I wasn't invited. More rose periwinkles and a new kind of verbena. Geez, she didn't eve last 48 hours. LOL.
Your dandelion oil has got to smell better than my first attempt at making gardenia oil. Man, the smell is strong! I might use a drop or two in candles or something. Think I put in too many flowers. Potpourri might be a better idea for me.
Debra, we will just have to describe the bonuses to Kay. I don't think there will be any back and forth about favorites this time. I bet Nadine will like 'Safe Island' best too. Those are all gorgeous. Looking forward to see how you put things together. (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Think I will put the Daylilies in containers until Fall. The container area is shaded from about 2:00 on, so potted plants tend to do okay. Only had enough empties today to dig in two. Getting more tomorrow before the roots on the others dry out. Each one is a double fan, and so far, each seems to be big enough to separate into at least two distinct Daylilies. Containers should give all enough time to develop strong root systems, and give me a couple of months to have a new planting area cleared. (And you guys enough time to figure out where you will put the ones I'll be shipping to Amargia in September.) Giving some of the established ones away of which I have multiples, but still not making enough room to put in all the new ones. It's a fun conundrum, though. :-)

I missed putting this one on the bonus list: Young Planet. It is my favorite of the bonuses.
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=187968&n=YOUNG-PLANET---DF---B12D---Santa-Lucia-2002---DAYLILY

Nadine, if you like Safe Island, you might like this one, too. It's called Bells and Whistles. Blooming yesterday.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Oh how I love Daylilies. I have a few. Love that peach colored one with the ruffled edges and Oh my how stunningly beautiful that crimson one it

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, I'm getting addicted to them. :-)
Debra

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Those daylillys are to die for.
NO ONE MISSED ME!!!! We had a tornado hit our local town and one near us. No damage here. but have had no electricity or phone for a couple of days. The local Humane Society was totally destroyed.
Have had Daves Garden withdrawels.
Dillen dog got sick and I had to dodge downed trees and poles to take him to vet. After antibiotics hes much better.
My freezer partially unthawed and today,have been making tomato sauce and soup to refreeze.
We've also had another bear move in back of our place today.Hope he moves on.
I have missed you so much and am very glad to be back on line.
Hugs to all,
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Glad you're back and safe, vickie.

hugs, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks Katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Vickie, honestly, I thought you were getting ready for your trip. I am so looking forward to seeing you. Very glad you are safe and that Dillen-dog is better. Feel sad about the Humane Society. Storms respect no one and nothing.

hi katie!

{{{{Hugs Vickie}}}}

I'm so glad to learn you are OK. We have had severe storms and tornadoes and T Watches. Many big old trees down on cars, houses and blocking streets.

So far I have been kept safe under the shelter of His wings. My young Poodle, Pookie is terrified of thunder. Bless his little heart, he goes and hides under my bed coaxed him out and he either sat on my feet back to me such that he could watch out for Boogie Monsters . he finally relaxed enough to lay down at my feet, but made sure he stayed in physical contact with me. Old Elvis is so deaf, I doubt he can even hear the thunder.

Blessings and Hugs to all my friends out there,
Sheri

I made a big mistake unknowingly yesterday. I had set my special new bluebird pot of pink oxalis outside in the shade. The rain later on sort of crept under thr paint in a few places. I of course immediately brought it inside and am hoping al will dry out well.. It actually has a very interestind 'crackeling' effict now.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Glad you are all right, Vickie...though it sounds like a hard time. The weather is so violent!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Gladiola from Amargia.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.