Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10, 1 by lovemyhouse

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lovemyhouse

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #10
lovemyhouse wrote:
Kay, ditto me on the Cobb clones. I don't dust or sweep and Russell-dog sheds a LOT. And one of them can put the second paint coat on the ceiling of the spare room--that's been waiting for the second coat for about four years, now. :-D

The early summer heat hasn't zapped me too hard, yet, but I am being careful. Stocked up on Gatorade (on sale-yea!). With it still cooling down to the low to mid-70s overnight, it has stayed temperate enough that I can spend about an hour each evening outside. So there isn't as much to do on Sundays. Have to get pots for some of the Daylilies still waiting in the shipping box. And work the babies Vickie brought down into the yard. Aiiiiii, what she managed to cram into a 2006 Pontiac Gran Prix! Everything was in containers. Dianthus, Iris, Daylilies, Creeping Phlox, a three-foot shrub and some other plants I don't recognize--she even brought down a great big Forsythia! Set the pot on the back floorboard and the branches stretched the full width of the back seat. That one is going somewhere in front, for sure. :-)

We have some 3-gallon size plastic containers at the office that can be rinsed, have the tops cut off, and a few holes drilled in the bottom to make nice planters for the Daylilies. Only cost is a little water and some elbow grease! For my grandniece, that is, who is rinsing as I type. My kind of deal. :-) We also received several small office-type trashcans in a dropped off recycle load. I am recycling some of THEM into temporary Daylily containers, too. I put the Sturm und Drang and Ninja Knight in the ground yesterday. Planted one each Raspberry Truffle, Harvest Moon, Milkshake, and Sunrise Echinaceas, and a May Night Salvia. Gathered a few potted annuals together for one of the office kids to take home. Hopefully, I will have enough energy after work today to do a little more. Forecasted temps at close to 100 every day for the next week at a minimum. No rain in sight. Might have picked the wrong summer to be extravagant with putting in new plants. Guess it will force me to get up at sunrise to water, at least on Saturdays. Have to be at work by 7:30 anyway, maybe it won't be so painful to give up that extra 45 minutes sleep on that onnnnnnnnne day. LOL

Nadine, there is a Daylily named, "Dracula" and I have it on the list for next purchase. There is also one called, Quote the Raven (they didn't get the name quite right, but close enough). I like the work of Poe, only I don't really care for the way the Daylily looks in photos. Pondering that one for awhile. But Dracula I HAVE to get to go with the Bela Lugosi. Don't you think?

Chinese Chariot was open this morning. The red is much darker and more brownish than the web photos. This picture still isn't a true representation, but it's close. It is good I've been getting all the different Daylily variations. Because no telling what colors will actually come out under the conditions here. See how I rationalize my growing addiction? [grin]