May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from Rusty56 :

Here's what the barn shed blew into my yard & house's garage so no damages just little messy around here and I was just about a mile where the tornado hit...

Well, as my stepson took me out for ride to see the tornado goes and sure it about 7 blocks from my home that church blew off the roof and windows.... I though was a mile but it not just 7 blocks from it....

I saw so sad and horrible at hospital and some on street homes gone and look at the tree just like burn it....(no branches on tree just like dead burn tree)....

so it will be more later on tonight for warning tornado.... Just t-storm and raining...

Final, next door got the shed out of my yard already and my dogs got very spooky again lol...

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

According to Yahoo maps, from SS to Joplin is 120 miles, 1hr 50 minutes. However, you do have interstate going there, and I don't know if yahoo allows for that..

They just said a tornado in guthrie, and that cell is the one moving our way.

Just updated the death toll in Joplin to 125. Largest loss of life from one tornado in US history. The michigan one was 116.

I felt God intentionally took the man in the wheelchair to be with him. Much better off there.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Crit, I hope you are taking shelter!!!

For those of you not watching the news, Olk is getting bomboarded with tornadoes right now. Very, very dangerous system!!

We are watching the radar as we type. Is starting to move into our area. Have the 'fraidy hole all ready and we are on the call line from the local meteoroligst, so whenever the NWS issues something, we get a call. So far just a sever thunderstorm warning, but it isn't here yet. I'm on satelitte internet, so may lose it. No problems with the tv or internet so far.

We will be getting hit tonight also but later on. Be careful and stay safe!!

We are good, it's passed us. Texted my kids and they are at their dads who has a full basement. They live up by Caney/Coffeyville/Independence, KS

Prayers be with you!

Joplin under a tornado warning. The tornado will either hit them or miss them by a very short distance of a few miles.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Haha.. the "fraidy hole"! There is nothing funny about needing one unfortunately, I'm sure a storm cellar can make a big difference, but thats kinda a comical name for it!
: ) Like they say, "laughter is the best medicine!". 7 blocks, that is close, Rusty! Glad you're alright. Things coulda easily been different. They said on the 10 o'clock news that 1,500 are missing in Joplin, I hope those people have just vacated or something.

So many storms everywhere, there is a tornado watch here even until 3am, it's storming outside right now. I want to go out and upright my pots again but they'll just get knocked down again.

Better hold off on that gardening for awhile, Ima, you're health is more important! : )

Heres the latest photo of my "desert terrarium". I've done a couple things different from even the photo from yesterday. I think I got some obsession going on the strap, tinfoil and some cat protection! I am really not wanting my expensive little desert plants to die from my trial effort! If they do, they do, I have 90 days to return them, which is alright, I am handy with receipts. I think at least one had a big headstart on dying at The Home Depot. Those plants were INSIDE the store, unless they wheeled them outside sometime, they got NO SUN. The one in back, called "Rainbow" something or other, is yellowing, it is quite pale, it might be on it's way out. Probably half of the "Living Stones" were dead on the shelf, I look back now, its probably because they got no sun. I might have me a wallet full of The Home Depot "store credit cards" before this is over! -

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Crit, what a description! I felt like I was there. That is extreme sensory overload, LOL! I would have been too fascinated and full of adrenalin to be scared, till after!

It's a shame about the guy. I hope he went without pain.

Will, I saw the recording on the news. I'd be waiting to get out of that packed cooler, LOL!

The terrarium looks good so far!

Ima, great on the rocks!

The iris really wowed me. I had just re-done my plant journal and saw the names. Then it opened... I do love it!

Rusty, that is so close. It really shows how lucky you were. I couldn't believe how empty the hospital was and that they were able to get the people out. Amazing!

I think what got me first, were all the cars. I've never seen so many, dented and rolled. That was a shock!

I feel for your dogs. They are right to be afraid.

Will, your plant do look a little sadder. I didn't notice that in the first photos of them.

We got the boys to the oldest's first ballgame last night (6 and 7 year olds) And they got to play just a little before the sirens went off. We grabbed them and the chairs and headed for their house. It was just a T-storm warning and not tornado, but was a great chance to show the boys a different sky.

I saw lightning first thing this morning so we've had some heavy rain already. It's still thundering as I type :o)

DD and my twin ''pineapples.'' That's how big they are :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

lol billy and your 'pineapples'.

They make a metal mesh top to go over 10 gal. aquariums for just that purpose, keeping critters out OR IN. You can get them at pet stores, and maybe walmart. I have one I don't use anymore that I wish I could give you.

I understand there were 8 deaths in this round of storms, and 1 child 3 years old missing, a 15 month old dead and another in the hospital. Mom is pregnant but OK from what I understand. It was near Piedmont, OK The are showing at least 10 just up to OKC. There were more north and east later on through the evening.
Lots of wind damage in Tulsa. We came out unscathed. Got 3/4" of rain, no damaging wind or hail.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, :o)

I thought a mesh cover would work too.

The deaths are too sad. What a shame.

I'm glad you and most of the DG'ers are OK. At least I haven't heard of anything happening to anyone.

Well, enjoy the day. Rain or shine it's better than some are having.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I am still alive again lol so the power ran off again at 902pm last night and got back on at 826 am today hard time to get internet back on and final thru it....

One more day to go! Keep prayer for who lost or love ones in Joplin, MO.... I just don't know how many dead so far...

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

That had to be scary to see how close the storm came to you when you went out driving......

Those poor people down there in Joplin, my heart just breaks for them. I can't even imagine what it looks like in person because it is awful enough in pictures.

Hey Will, your rose has a bud on it, so I am guessing it is going to live....rofl. So it should be in good shape when I finally get it to you.

I cut these iris before the storm last night and brought them to work today. Sorry if I already posted this...rofl Edited to say the pic is pretty true to color, except the yellow is a little brighter.

This message was edited May 25, 2011 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden

Twin "pineapples"! Thats quite a load there! Thanks billyp, I hope that terrarium does good. It's kinda neat to look at it, maybe I'll put a Gecko in it. Hmmm, I never thought of mesh, thats a good idea, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Sorry to hear about the fatalities and storm damages in Tulsa, Crit. They say now that no fatalities in Sedalia.
Yeah, the Kalanchoe F Variegata 'Rainbow Plant' isn't looking very good, several of the little succulent leaf things have fallen off. I did some reading on it, they say it grows 12 to 18 inches tall, maybe too tall for a miniature "desert terrarium". It was only $2.28, the "Living Stone" was the most expensive at $4.98, so far it seems to be doing okay. The best looking one of the 3 that I bought is the cactus, it was in the middle on price at $3.48.
Pretty cut Iris there, happ. A Rose bud eh? Glad to hear it! We're looking forward to that Rose vine!
Thats a long time to be without power, Rusty, glad its not real hot or cold. Sure Rusty, I'll have them in my prayers, they do need it. I've came to the conclusion, that one could just die with satellite tv. Ours went out, (and the weather reports with it) DURING the violent storm earlier that could've produced a tornado. The photo was when the tv was out and it was storming like heck! I was standing at the front door then. In the photo, thats rainwater rushed up against the rear tire of my blue car. The photo is so foggy because thats rain coming down. There was like 10 storm cells (with likely tornadoes in the sky or on the ground) coming thru Jackson, Johnson and Lafayette counties alone (immediate KC metro area, and other surrounding metro area counties). All around there were more storms.

Yeah, some of those photos from Joplin were just nuts! I saw one of a vehicle wrapped around a tree and the outline of the tree's big branches showing thru the "vehicle's" hood or something, (the vehicle was unrecognizable, I don't even know that it was a vehicle).
Will

This message was edited May 25, 2011 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The storms were pretty bad today but the news media did a great job covering it so everyone was able to get to safety in time. I spent an hour in the basement under the stairs hoping those funnel clouds stayed on course AWAY from me. lol. I had 2 that were close. One between Oak Grove and Bates City and another one east of Odessa. Waaaay to close for comfort.

You know what is worse than satellite TV? Not just satellite TV but also satellite INTERNET! lol I had my radio out, there were several stations broadcasting weather reports. I may have to re-think this situation............

For me it was a good thing. lol. Since I was stuck in the basement til skies cleared I needed all the reports. Bad thing was you would think it was all clear and another cell would pop up and start rotating so they would continue the tornado warning for you area.

Here are pics of Joplin: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html

Just heard the hospital in Sedalia was destroyed.

Wow, those are some incredible pics, they show some really good "before and after" shots of Walmart, The Home Depot, residential areas and apartment complexes and much more. It's just amazing the great amount of destruction there. It's hard to imagine a Walmart or a Home Depot just flattened like that. I'll insert the photo of The Home Depot from that, just incredible unfortunately.
I woulda been in the basement earlier too, but I kinda need to stay upstairs in case I need to carry the disabled lady here to the basement, she is bed-ridden.
Yeah, thats too bad about the satellite internet, and it's not cheap.
I saw the makeshift hospital because of that, it's quite a big change. They said theres some serious changes, some people can't get the same care.
One lady said she couldn't find her doctor and now her meds were all off, just a mess I think.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Glad you are OK pepper!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, we really depend on our power don't we? When our's went off, I read till it got too dark, then went to bed at 7:00 pm :o)

Prayers and deepest sympathy has been sent.

Happ, Pepper gave a good link to see the before and after. It numbs the mind. Where do you start besides one board at a time?

Nope, not posted here yet. How beautiful! What kind of pot is that? I love it!

Will, you'll need a few crickets for that gecko, LOL! One would look good in there!

Yeah, Mom had a Kalenchoe and it got tall and wide. I don't know much about them or haw many types there are. The leaves dropping sure sounds like no water. They can take drought up to a point. I'd point that out.

Nice picture Will. So you live on a sloped street? Your mulch job held up and looks nice. Wait a minute, is that mulch on the walk? Oops :o)

Pepper, pretty intense. I have two weather radios and they are used!

Crit, no power here means no water, no flushing! No cordless phones, lights, tv or internet. Nothing. Luckily we have a crank radio for music and weather radios for warnings. We are lucky to have the outdoor pump for water.

Pepper, the link shows how devastating it all is. It's just horrible. Where do you stay? If you have no car, where do you go?

Will, not having the meds is bad. I could do with out mine for a few days, but I wouldn't want to wait too long.

Well, we can only pray for these people, altho they need physical help. I hope they get it.

billy, the pot is a pottery pot someone made. A friend got it for me at an art fair cause she knows I am always looking for vases. Thought after I get the flowers up I would see if I could see the artist. We have a person down in the art studios below that makes all kinds of bud vases. I will have to take pics. Big problem I can't afford them...rofl. Keep thinking during the winter I would take the pottery class and maybe try to make some.

It is really cool this morning! Hope we have a good weekend.

It was cool this morning!! I about froze when I was outside!! LOL. I didn't wear thick enough pants. Luckily when I was out there a little while later I stayed warm by moving all the new hanging baskets that we just got in around. Then I ran back inside til afternoon. lol

That Kalanchoe is looking even worse! It's black around the top, I think those parts are goners. I'm not really sure, but I think it might be trying to rebound, it seems a little more green overall, than it used to. Crickets for the Gecko?! I'm glad it eats them and not me eating them! I might get a lizard they seem kinda neat. I should wait a while to see if my desert plants are gonna be happy first. I might be unpleasantly surprised at how much Geckos cost. Heres that Kalanchoe in the pic, sorry it's not brighter but the flash was pointed right at it. I sprayed them all with water but I am weary about over-doing it with the water. I'd like to water about once every 2 weeks if I can. I know cacti can take less watering than succulents, I'd like to find a happy middle ground on watering for the two, I hope I don't kill them all in the process!

It was cold today until about 2 this afternoon. I hope the houseplants outside now were alright with it. It's supposed to be back up into the 80's this weekend here though.

Yeah, this street is sloped alot. I park on the street and it's a manual so I make real sure it's set to park! I always turn the wheels to the curb, just a habit! lol
I have this fear that my car is gonna roll down the street into somebody's house or worse! It won't go anywhere, the parking brake is on, it's in gear and the front wheels are locked towards the curb, so hopefully it don't go anywhere! When I parked my truck on the street, I'd do all that plus put a wheel chock under a tire!

Thanks billyp, that mulch is still hanging in there! I'll never forget that, it was alot of work! Yeah, the walk is all mulched too. It's very important to my friend here that the walk is always mulched good. It was even mulched before I put all that mulch by the curb, in front of the gate. If that walk isn't mulched or something, (we had patio blocks before) you're shoes are caked in mud if it has rained! If it was up to me, the whole front yard would have weed-fabric and then mulch! I get tired of pulling all the weeds out there. But, I've asked, she says the main weed, (some kind of Wild Violet with a purple flower) is pretty and she wants to keep it.

Billyp, is you're outdoor pump hooked up to a cistern or a spring? A toilet will still flush if you pour water into the bowl. I had to do that a few years ago when the water was turned off, due to no fault of my own.

Neat pot happ. Does it have a little holder part built in that holds the flowers in the middle and so straight?

They brought way down the number of missing in Joplin, from 1,500 to 233. They said the majority of the missing is due to likely miscommunications. They guess that alot of people lost cell service and/or they're phones and can't reach anybody to tell them they're okay. But, unfortunately, they say the fatality count is still likely to go up.

Yeah, how miserable that must be. No house, no car, death and destruction all around, that would be overwhelming. Having you're life turned upside down, like so many in Joplin, would stink. You see people put on a brave face, yet they've lost so much. I suppose if you feel pain then you're still alive and thats good!
Will

This message was edited May 26, 2011 10:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, it sure is a neat pot! You're lucky to have one. It would be cool to make your own.

Pepper, been there in the thin pants the wind just goes thru, so I got a smile over yours.

Will, I think I'd just take thew Kalanchoe back.

Laughing, I looked to see if you turned your wheels! Good habit :o)

Ah, I remember now. It's not a sidewalk there.

At least she's supporting the one butterfly that only feeds on violets. I agree. they are a weed, but they are pretty.

Our outdoor pump is pipe with a point. That's a pipe with holes and a screen inside, for anyone who doesn't know. It's pounded right into the ground water. The pitcher, when primed, will pull the water up.

The toilet is why we keep five gallon buckets of water in the house. We have for years. A bit of Clorox keeps it fresh for a long long time.

Yep, your kalanchoe is molding so it's too wet. Take it out, dry it up and return it. I'm not sure if you can grow another plant from a leaf or not?

Busy weekend with the boys. Later all!

Here is what the pot looks like inside. It is a spikey frog inside dead center and the vase holds enough water to keep everything well hydrated.

If I get a chance I will take some pics of the vases the artists (not the who did my vase) downstairs make. They are really cool but out of range on my beer budget.

Hey Will, I am SUPPOSE to go to Indep. and get my sister and grown nephew to go help me clean up the two old family cememteries, course this is all weather dependent..... ;) But by chance it works out.....maybe I can delivery your blooming rose.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As the news say 132 dead...

Anyway, I went to see my ex mil near my home and her house roof blew off on middle of the roof and living room and bedrooms window blew in also her car total windows blew out... Also her garage like bend in ... there is so much works for this town to clean up and gonna to rebuild again.... Some of the stores is gone... It's so hard to see the town was so beautiful then become like war zone...

I has T-storm few hours ago and again flooding my yard... Peach tree is bend down little bit so I had to fix it....

this is 8th tornado history...

Rusty, you guys will rebuild bigger and better after this. Sad to hear about ex mil's house. She ok?

Happ, neat pot. Hope you finally make it to Will's!! LOL

Will, take that Klanchoe back and get a new one.

I have lots of new pics to get downloaded and hopefully I can get it done this weekend!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from pepper23 :
Rusty, you guys will rebuild bigger and better after this. Sad to hear about ex mil's house. She ok?

She is okay but very scaring she was in bathroom so her dd came to help mom and calm her down...

Good to hear.

Ok happ, I'll be here if you can make it, that'd be great!
Haha! Happ has a beer budget! That's a neat vase, I like how it's designed, it's not big and cumbersome.

They probably water them twice or three times a day at The Home Depot like the other plants, it may be an employee there that may not know that they should get watered very seldom, and he/she is overwatering them. I'm gonna keep the Kalanchoe a little while longer, technically I have 85 or so more days to wait on it before the return policy runs out. Come to think of it, when I looked at them at the store, they were all wet from watering.

You thought I covered up the sidewalk with mulch didn't you billyp?! Haha! there are no sidewalks on this street, actually this city doesn't have many I've seen. That's funny though! I'll cover up you're sidewalk with those little firecracker pop things that pop when you step on them! lol

The tornado in Joplin being the record holder for the single deadliest tornado in history isn't a good record to have really, I bet they rebuild bigger and better than ever too! Glad to hear you're ex MIL is okay, Rusty.
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, that is awesome! I just love how the low bowl accents the strong tall plant. It would be one of my favorites! I love vases :o)

Rusty, I'm glad you went to see X- MIL. I'm sure she needed to talk. That was enough damage to her house as it was.

It does look like a war zone. The charm of the old town is gone and they won't redo it like it was :o(

Will, yep, I sure did, LOL! Now that would be funny! People would be jumping off off it!

The boys go home today and we have a chance of rain. No no no! I need to set tomatoes out to harden off. They aren't ready for a cold rain yet.

My tomatoes haven't grown at all since I've set them in the ground. The temps have been waay up close to 90 or hotter or waaay down with highs in the mid 60s and raining. Very little inbetween. I have 2 pepper plants in pots that just recently put on a couple more leaves but they are still only an inch or so tall and very spindly. I have them in 4 in pots so they have plenty of room but I know the pots aren't too big either. Can't go in the ground til bigger and sturdier or my cats will maul them to death. lol

Nicotina plants.

Thumbnail by pepper23

That's too bad pepper. This weather is doing a number on a lot of things this year.

I got a cutting from my Grandmother's climbing Rose tonite. I put (stuck) the cutting in soil. They aren't all picky needing rooting hormone or anything or they?
Why can't they be easy like Weeping Willow cuttings?! It's regular red, the one I'm getting from Happ is dark red, my housemate here likes dark red too.
I spent Saturday nite playing Chess with my Grandfather! He's a sport, he'd rather play Chess than sleep I think!
Heater or air conditioner, heater or air conditioner? Well, I think it will be air conditioner soon!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

The GMA said "There is 139 dead...

So, The president is coming to Joplin, MO today at 2 pm...
For who lost or loved ones that a week ago...

There is alot of volunteers going to help here to clean up the town...

Also they gonna to rebuilding and rebirth for this town...

Here's the link to read it...

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/death-toll-joplin-tornado-least-139-114643891.html

This message was edited May 29, 2011 7:52 AM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my heart is just breaking for all of those who have lost loved ones and their homes,their work places. May their spirits be given a lift so they can rebuild and continue on.

Jan

The whole thing is amazing and so overwhelming. I can't even imagine in my wildest thoughts what it is like.

Well I planted the barrels in the city for my Master Gardener hours last night. I was hoping for cloundy for a few days but I guess the plants will get use to the weather right after they get beat to death by the rain and sun...rofl. It had been so cool I couldn't put them out before. The merchants were whining about it....cracked me up since they don't pay for the plants or take care of the plants!

Lots of rain up here last night wowzer and real strange lighting in the sky guess cloud to cloud.

Well gonna get with it have a great one.

There are so many people helping and supplies being sent from this area by so many different people/organizations, it makes me PROUD to be an Okie!!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

so glad to hear this Crit.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.