May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

One of her grandkids was riding her motorbike into our yard. She was told by several people to not come over here but she did anyways. I put a stop to it yesterday by going out and planting a butterfly bush and a couple cannas. Today she did it again and my dad went over and told her no more. Where she was riding is very slick because there is runoff there plus we run our laundry water down there. She could have gotten hurt. She wasn't going fast or anything but it was too much of a liabilty.

Oh I mailed your cannas the other day too. You should get them tomorrow or Tues I think.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear the Rose is doing good happ! There might be remnants of the Rose plant left in that hole, it could be back!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

@pepper ..... oh, I guess I hadn't heard about your neighbor.

YIPPEE on the canna's. I can't wait. And in my birthday week too. That makes it extra special. Won't say thank you, I want them to live ...... ^_^ but YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!

Crit, I thought I had posted that here in on this thread about my neighbor so that's why I didn't have the early details. lol.

I just bought another climbing rose today. After getting a whiff of it I had to have it. Climbing Peace. LOL. I hope this is the last one I buy at least this year but probably not. I wanted to plant it today but decided to wait because of the heat. The only thing I did outside today was lay mulch around my butterfly bush so no one runs over it.

I think you will have the cannas tomorrow Crit. They are really nice fat cannas so you should be pleased. I can't wait til mine get going. I need some color!!

Had a snake pay a visit yesterday. I thought it was the hose at first til I was almost off the deck then I realized it was a big snake. That sucker was at least 3-4 feet long because it stretched from under my mom's car to almost to where the steps meet the top of the deck. We aren't sure what kind it is though. Never seen one like it before. My dad thinks bull snake but he couldn't find a pic in his book.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Don't let Fruity see that! lol

I hope you didn't pack any of his friends with the canna's! I really appreciate them, and will watch for the box. Tomorrow is my b'day so that would be cool if they arrived.

Yeow! Now that snake would startle somebody! My thing is spiders, yuck! Maybe this will help to identify, maybe the Kingsnake is also a possibility, just a guess. - http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/5187_3026.pdf

Want some fragrance from a distance? Try a Lilac Tree! My Mom has one, I saw it again when I was visiting yesterday. She keeps her windows open because this tree is fragrant like within 100 feet of it! It smells nice! I was working outside and I could smell this tree when I couldn't even see it!

Speaking of Butterfly Bushes, I'll be returning two for a refund, they succumbed over the Winter I'm pretty sure. It didn't get cold enuff for them to go dormant in the garage I guess.
They aren't alone, many plants appear to have died from that. See the 2 stick bushes in the above photo? Those are the Butterfly Bushes, I looked at them again today, no sign of life.
Will

Heres that Lilac tree in full flower. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

It might be a kingsnake. Pretty close in markings far as I can tell.

Beautiful lilac Will. I LOVE lilacs. Trouble is, it takes them like 7 years to bloom after you plant them, and they grow slowly. That tree must be really old. So nice for your mom!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Glad the hostas are doing good. I just love my shade garden. I have just been filling it up with hostas the last few years. Course in the spring it looks the best because the trees haven't had time to suck out all the moisture.....altho I have cracks in the ground I noticed yesterday so I hope we get rain on Wednesday. The picture was taken late in the evening so it is a little blurry.

I wintered over a purple butterfly bush just fine, but the two pinks I bought on sale, don't seem to have any life but I am still watering and hoping.......

Tree peonies are blooming, but the hot strong winds are not doing them any favors.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRIT!!!!!!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Happy Birthday Crit!! Hope the cannas arrived today!!

I hope we get the rain tomorrow so I don't have to water anything. lol. The winds felt good to me today. Helped keep the temps down at work.

Oh, I just bought a tree peony from Henry Fields a few weeks ago and just got it planted. Sugared Silk. I can't wait til it blooms. Won't be til next year but I have it in a good spot so I can't miss it.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 7:29 PM

Pepper, mine were slow to start to bloom, they took a couple of years, but one of the master gardeners his bloomed the very next year......Mine bloom much earlier than the normal peony.

Ok, Will may be coming your direction tomorrw, won't know until tomorrow. My sisters are not good plan makers.
Will let you know when I know...rolf, we might make it yet....

Pond still has a small leak, good grief!

I need some rain.

My Mom said she got that Globe Lilac Tree in May of 1997. It was pretty big when she got it, she paid $103 for it then.
She said it bloomed the year after she got it. She loves that tree, she said thanks for the compliments.

Nice shade garden there happ!

My one Canna bulb is either dead or hasn't woke up yet. All my bulbs haven't shown any signs of life yet, my Elephant Ears, Caladiums and that one Canna.
I have started my Wisteria planting! I even have this before photo. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The Red Daylily from Pepper in Oct. 09' is looking good! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Tomorrow would be good happ, come if you can. Here is the Ditchlily from happ, it's quite an unruly clump! lol
Hehe! I love unruly! That Ficus next to it in the photo was just put outside yesterday. It needs attention, it was abused by cats and sat in a window this Winter where it didn't get enuff sunlight, but it's alive. I dumped all the cat poo out of it, so that was at least a start! Boy, carrying that pot outside was a smelly experience!
I really like that variegated Ficus, I'm gonna have to figure something on where to put that plant protected from cats.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

ROFL over the stinky ficus!!

Will, I still have a few extra cannas that I have nowhere to plant. I can send them to you. Dark colored leaves, could be Tropicana or similar to Dark Knight. Either way it's pretty!! And they are all in great shape though still dormant.

My elephant ears are still dormant too. No sign of green yet. I need to get the rest planted. I need to get my glads in too though I might just give them to my sister. lol

Sure Pepper, that'd be great! Send them on! Do you still have my addy? But only if you have some to spare, I'll return you the postage. Really, it's okay if it would leave you short-handed on them, I'll understand if you want to hold onto them. If I got them to multiply I'd give you some back. I'm glad to hear you're EE's are still dormant, I'm still waiting for mine too, anytime now, it's plenty warm enuff!
Will

I'm not sure if I have your addy still or not. I have to dig in my seed bag and look. lol. I threw away alot of envies that I didn't need anymore.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

High Noon tree peony went from tight buds to this in 2 days of 90 degree days

Thumbnail by Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Closeup of the flowers

Thumbnail by Cybrczch
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I am too far behind. I'll just read and get caught up.

Will, I will say that my Butterfly Bush is just putting out leaves, so your's should already have had a few.

Aww Critt, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

All the pictures were great!

One perfect day and I mowed. Then it got hot and I puttered. Today, hot with a chance of rain. I think I'll get green beans and cukes planted.

My Fern Peony bloomed!

Thumbnail by billyporter

I looked again at my 2 Butterfly Bushes - no leaves! I'm thinking they are goners too. They are going back for the $14 apiece! I'm kinda wondering, do I get them again or do I get something else with the money?! Well, I could get a chocolate shake from up the street with the money!
You guys have nice Peonies, nice blooms. There is one here, but I think it languishes on blooms because of the shady spot it's in.
I can't believe it's turning cold again at nite! - http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USMO0441 Monday and Sunday nites are 43 and 44° F it says, I hope it changes before then. I just set some houseplants outside yesterday and today!
Yes, Happy Belated birthday, Crit.
I think I'll put down some weed fabric for the Wisteria plants.
I heard it got hot in Nebraska, they said it was hotter there than here for awhile, time for some plants to bloom, very nice photos Cyb.
Will

This message was edited May 12, 2011 10:52 AM

Thank you E1 for the birthday wishes. I had a nice day. Work was quiet and DH and I spent the evening together.

YES PEPPER!!!!!!!!!!! The box arrived today. With the rain shower we got this afternoon, I should be able to start planting this weekend. I have some I started by seed we will see if they take. I've never done that before, but don't want to put them out too small.

I had planted some hosta in my shade garden out front, and when I went out to check tonight, something had eaten the leaves off at the ground. I saw some roly polies, but I didn't think they were dangerous bugs.

Probably slugs ate your hostas. They attack at night. You have to go out and handpick them or find some sand paper to put under and around your hostas. They get all torn up on sandpaper.

Glad they arrived!! The seeds should germinate as long as you nicked them til the white showed on a spot.

Will, your BB bushes are dead. Mine are already a foot tall in almost full shade.

I don't know if my peonies are blooming yet or not. I haven't looked. lol. I know 2 clematis are blooming. One is Dr. Ruppel and the other one I've had for several years and can't remember the name. lol. My roses also have buds on them. At least 2 do anyways. Queen Elizabeth doesn't for some reason and she wasn't pruned this year.

Finally got all my containers planted today. I almost didn't have enough pots. lol. I ran out of room for lantana so I stuck those in a pot that I stuck my new dappled willow bush in. The pot is big enough and the bush small enough it can share. LOL.

I am guessing the hosta will send up new shoots from the roots? I just planted them.

They should but you will still have slugs eating them.

Yeah, I too think them Butterfly Bushes are dead! They are now screaming, "take me back to The Home Depot for a refund"!
Everybody's is growing, except mine! I am envious!
Here they are today, they do indeed look like sticks. They are 'Royal Red' Butterfly Bushes, altho, now they aren't red! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

How about my 'Red Haven' Peach tree that I bought last October already having peaches?! It's a self pollinator which is a good thing, there is limited room in the backyard. I've counted about 18 peaches. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Good for you Will.

I thought my BFB's were dead too, because I have others that are looking real good. But yesterday, I noticed new green leaves coming out. Glad I didn't rip them out when I thought about it. :-))

Will have to put some sandpaper around my hosta's. Have never seen any slugs, or their silvery trails, but not taking any chances. I've never had that happen before.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, if you really like the BB then I'd get a couple more. Mine only last a few years planted out all year. I have ''Black Knight'' this year. The dwarf ''Nano Blue'' lasted the longest and ''Royal Red'' and ''Attraction'' barely did anything in the year they lived. Attraction went thru some big winds, so I'll give it that. I really wanted to see it bloom tho.

ROTFL! More than one shake :o)

We are to get the same cold nights. Wait till Memorial day. Some years we've had to relight the furnaces.

Crit, I wonder what got your Hostas? Rabbits or slugs?

Pepper, I can't believe you haven't looked, LOL! I have peony buds, but they are a ways from blooming. I try to walk the yard daily with my clipboard so I can record what plants are blooming. That way I don't miss anything :o)

Will, I'm with Pepper, they're dead!

I hope your peaches make it. There is nothing like a peach from your own back yard. It's heaven!

It's cloudy and cool, but it feels wet too. We have a chance of rain till Sunday. So far we've had nothing but a pass over rain that gets the sidewalks and road wet. I don't mind. I still have things to do before we get a soaker. I still need to finish weeding the North Peony. It's still half done :o)

billy, I'm not really sure what got the hosta's. I haven't put my hair clippings out there yet. I would think if it was a wabbit that they would of eaten the leaves. When I went out the leaves were just laying there like they were wilted, and when I went to stand them up, they were nibbled off at the base. There were about 6 leaves and it got all of them.

The inch of rain we got last night will help out some. We have rain chances this afternoon too. Hopefully my grass seed will sprout and get a good hold before things dry out again.

Yes, more than one shake, but not much more, they are $4 apiece, and thats for the regular size, (or smallest one)! I've gotten them pretty regularly over the years, they go up about a dime every 6 mos. They started out at $1.79 about 10 years ago when I started getting them, I don't get them anymore, they are too high.
I'll sometimes get some for my friend and her Mom. My friend likes the large on occasion and the large is nearly 6 dollars! As long as people keep buying them they'll go up and up! In 10 more years they'll be $20 apiece! You should spit it out after the taste buds rejoice tho, because they'll make you feel sick afterward, too rich!

I'll look for 'Black knight' or the dwarf 'Nano Blue'.
I hope my houseplants don't mind sitting in the garage for a couple days!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Dairy Queen shakes are only $1.99 on special for May up here. They top them with whipped cream & a cheery!
I'm being behaved myself & only had 3 so far!

My "gardener" is pulling out seedling trees today. For some reason they came up everywhere last summer.

We hired her to help in the veggie garden, but she is a whiz & gets lots done in a hurry.
She is a retired Navy jet engine mechanic. She is going to fix a hydraulic leak on our tractor next week.

I'm gonna start going to DQ! I'm gonna see if they're on sale here too, theres one not far away. I like whipped cream, peanuts and a cherry!

Cybrczch, that is a beautiful peony tree! OMG! Are those pale yellow? Mine is white white with a yellow center. Yours looks huge. Are they sitting ontop of a water fall? That is the prettiest peony tree I have seen.......

Billy hope those tornados were no where near you last night.....

Hosta's eaten to the ground are usually deer from what I hear. That is their favorite salad bar!! Slugs will eat holes but golly I have never had slugs eat them to the ground...rolly polly eat on the roots mostly least here in good old MO.....

Will, I am coming to the conculsions that my sisters don't like me...rofl. They invite me then uninvite me...rofl. Actually one of them had a chance to work so we called it off.....sometimes money is thicker than blood especially when you need those paychecks. We are going to try again next week.

Pepper, I had not looked at the forecast, in the 40's monday morning, you gotta be kidding......Glad I don't have anymore out than I do......

Haha! If they ever like you again happ, come ahead! Don't sweat it tho, they're not going anywhere. I put up an arbor for something just like a red Rose vine!

Would deer sever the leaves of Hostas near the ground though, and leave the leaves, maybe the deer got spooked or didn't have time to eat the leaves? One sure way to know is put a cheap camera on them! Remember the one guy that did that to see who was stealing his yellow ribbon repeatedly? It was a squirrel! I got 2 black and white ones, years ago for $39.99 each from Harbor Freight, I've hooked them up temporarily, but never found anything to train them on. They are less than that I see now, on sale. My friend here won't let me put them up, she says thats just paranoia, I'll find a use for them someday! I try to tell her "I tell you, when its dark or you're not home people will mess around!".
I didn't get so good at robbing banks and liquor stores from being a noob! Just kidding!

Yeah, lows in the forties for the next 5 days http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USMO0441 , starting tomorrow nite. Maybe it'll change, hope so.

Here is my Bamboo plants shooting for the sky. I'm gonna mulch them and cover them up better this Summer in preparation for Winter, they die too close to the ground.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Heres that Wisteria planting, with about half of the weed fabric down, I ran out of staples. I gotta leave some soil showing because this Fall I plan to throw about 200 Wisteria seeds in there. It's gonna bloom like nobody's business someday!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Heres that arbor I was telling about. I plan to have stuff growing up both sides of it eventually.
I couldn't see the screen on the camera, the sun was so bright, it cut off the top of the arbor! That little stream looks harmless enuff, but I tied that arbor down because a heavy rain turns the stream into quite the gusher!

This message was edited May 12, 2011 4:32 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I have both 'Black Knight' and 'Blue Nano'. lol. I also have 'Golden Attraction' and another one that is a smaller one. My 2 BBs in front of the deck never get big and bushy though because they are mostly in shade. But they do bloom for me!! My Blue is in a pot and is twice as big as it was when I got it several weeks ago and Golden is the one I put on my property line. I can't wait til that one blooms!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Hey check this out!! Talking dog. Very cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaatu42

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.