What's Happening in your neck of the woods?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Blue Jays are finished nesting, they start what I refer to as 'shreiking' about 5:45am .. such a beautiful bird, with such a crummy BLEAT !!
Fed them some peanuts to keep the noise down for just a bit.

Am kinda looking forward to the Tipsy Pot making, just am reluctant to do it right now .. it was 0C last night .. but, then again .. the plants would be easy to cover and if I used pansies and geraniums they would take the cold ..

Gord is off on a 6am flight west to Summerland BC tomorrow morning via Wpg, Edmonton, Calgary and Kelowna .. visiting his brother who has had a knee replacement .. will be taking him to the airport around 4am !!! AKkkkkkkkkk ..
See my doc about these increasingly painful shoulders tomorrow too .. am hoping for a miracle of some sort ..

Off to make a cuppa

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, another cold and drizzly day! Brrr no sunshine until the weekend and maybe even then chances of rain. Leave Thursday afternoon for a 5 day roadtrip so hopefully someoner along the way I'll see sunshine..will shout 'hurrah' if I do.

Viola, omg those bells look so heavy, just know my wrists would never be able to handle being in the group..what a lovely group you are..loved the photo.

I taught a class of about 20 girls how to make the tipsy/turvy pots, haven't gone and looked at the link yet so probably much the same...I cut out of metal sheeting 3 pieces approx 4 x 5" each bent 1" on one side only...on this 1" strip drilled 2 holes and drilled it into the bottom of the metal rod..did this with 3 pieces which now act as a fin anchor so that the pole is secure in the soil...pots look so pretty

This message was edited May 17, 2011 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Drats, wrong photo..

Had a few hours visit with Ann and the girls last night..all exhausted and relieved that the pain for Mike is now over. Viewing tomorrow aft. and evening and funeral on Thursday..I will attend a viewing and the funeral and then come into the office in hopes Paul will send Suzanne and I on our way to meet Linda at 3:00pm rather than 4:45pm so we can beat the traffic and be over the border before dark..hoping anyway!

"M" that's awfully early to be up and at it..he'll be gone for the long weekend...

Watched breakfast television and Frankie Flowers is telling me that you are getting our sunshine "M"...so much rain here, please send my way!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Was hoping to find photo of the girls with finished project but can't seem to find one..here is one table of girls starting their project

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilynn if you are up at 4 maybe you could wake the Blue Jays instead of them waking you. Ha Ha Ha
Carol and Susan is it as windy down in Calgary as it is up here! Had a Seniors complex call the other day to rent Sand Bags so they can put them on their Lawn furniture so it doesn't blow away. I guess they have been chasing it daily down the street! Nasty wind has blown in millions of mosquitos too. I think they aim at you from a block away with their stinger out and get you instantly when they hit!

G House is buldging at the seams as neighbors and friends have brought their plants and brought them over so I can look after them untill the weather clears up.

Going shopping for fun on Thursday, taking my Senior Citizen Neighbor around so she can get more plants.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all,

Would be a great time to have a greenhouse Ann, let's hope neighbors plants survive..think not one of us are having normal spring!

Now with gh bulging already at seams are you considering purchasing more?

Made myself a promise, ONLY buying plants that aren't already in my gardens..

ViAnn .. I completely neglected to mention how lovely the pic of you and the the other 'Ringers' is .
The Bells are certainly well kept .. would imagine the Spring Concert was wonderful.

Betty, I do remember your Tipsy pots :-) .. great picture .. am looking forward to making mine ^_^
Am tussling with whether or not to use terra cotta/clay, or, plastic ..

Ann .. even though our neighbours live a piece away .. were I to go out at 4am (when there's a full moon) and start making Blue Jay squwaks .. I kinda think the dogs in the neighbourhood would waken everyone LoL BUT .. it IS a thought !!

I hate to say this .. but we have had LOTS of sun .. and it will persist for a few more days .. I'll take it :-)

Off to watch Corrie

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

" m"' I purchased my largest in heavy platic, rest in terra cotta..

Walked the gardens..thought the " Roger" plant I bought a few years ago died,moved it several times because it wasn't doing good bit today it has 2 large stems and healthy..anxious to see it ib bloom!

http://coolplants.blogspot.com/2009/01/worthy-perennial-rodgersia-rodgers.html

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh Betty Rodgersia is a great shade plant. I have one now for almost 10 years I think- it did not flower for maybe3-4 years, started with a couple of stems and got more and bigger every year!

I put a new one in last year in another shady spot but it has not shown up yet, it is always one of the last of the perennials to come up.

Heres a pic of mine the lst year it flowered.(2007)

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh absolutely gorgeous, so perhaps I moved it thinking it didn't like his shims when all I needed to do was give it time, wow, never saw another her since, not sure it you are a gardener such as I, if along a pathway I have one on the right, want one to even things out on the left..are you able t divide

Off to drink and sew..had forever to finish a swap project, with leaving tomorrow and wanting to mail from USA here I am up and sewing at last minute!!

Bon voyage Betty .. travel safe!

More sun and nice temps here .. wish I felt like 'doing something' .. but .. saw my doc yesterday and he gave me a med for my shoulder pain that will now be tossed as it has blown the winds from my sails in a BIG way, and done NOTHiNG to deaden the pain. Will have to wait for the results from the X-rays that were taken.

LOTS of fireworks on display for sale here for this long weekend .. dangerous things in the hands of inexperienced folks .. scares the dogs something awful when they start to go off !!

Best TRY to get a move on ... the WONDERS of medical science .. NOT..!!

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I hope that sun reaches us soon. Bummer about that shoulder pain.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool and showers here today.

Betty: I have a metal sign that has lost most of its color and I would like to repaint it- what type of paint should I use? It is outside on my gate. The pic is the original.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Carole, there is a paint that you can use specifically says for "Metal" use! Can be bought in Michaels if I remember correctly.

Went to funeral home last night and funeral this morning..IF you can say it was 'lovely' then it really was...everyone was going back to Ann's but I had to return to work seeing as I'm leaving at 4:45..

drats, think a spider bit me on the forehead the other day.... really infected, got some salve, hope the burning and itching clears itself..

WOOO HOOO .. we just had 'COUNT'em' FOUR drops of rain !!! Ran ro put up the lawn furniture and dog mats and then realized the rain had stopped !!
Checked the radar .. we MIGHT get a shower overnight ...
The grounds are SO dusty ... doesn't seem to bother the dandilions though .. and each year, I TRY to embrace their beauty ?

Still trying to 'shake off' the after effects of the pill I took .. comin around ..

Betty, glad you made it to the viewing, and I hear ya re calling it 'lovely' .. but most are .. peaceful and reflective.
Re the Spider bite, YIKES .. over the past 5 years I have become increasing aware of the presence of some wicked little spiders out there .. a colleaugue who works in emerg said their stats re the incidences of spider bites has risen sharply over the years .. and their bites can be quite painful as well as serious .. I do hope yours resolves quickly Betty ..

Watched an excellent movie last evening "A time to Kill" ... Matthew McConnahey, Samuel E Jackson, Ashley Judd, Sandra Bulloch, Kevin Spacey, Donald AND Keiffer Sutherland .. if you see it, rent it .. you won't be sorry.

TTFN

~M~

I am happy to say we just had 3 minutes of rain, and, it's gone ... but .. and this may sound incredible, just that small spattering of rain has brought life to the trees and I swear they have exploded .. the Maples, Lilac, Mountain Ash .. wow ..
Sure do hope we get more over the next few days ....

Off shopping

~M~

Wishing everyone a 'HAPPY MAY 2 4 Weekend' !!

Typically we are in some kind of a flux with weather .. yesterday I had the AC running for most of the afternoon as the temps were in excess of 24C .. this morning, I switched to HEAT as the temps have plummeted and it is dull and dreary out ..
Good day to cut grass and walk dogs.

Take care all and enjoy your time off ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hello from sunny Memphis....weather is low 90's today. But we ate heading north seeing we have to be home by Tuesday night and it's a long ride home..enjoyed Graceland yesterday and partied on Beall street last night, almost like being in New Orleans , just a taste of what it's like..

Has quite a problem though, girls have been fighting with me for 3 days to go to emerge, forehead swollen, itchy, bite makes infected and burning like old h&$l...now eye is drooping, filled with water or infected..will make it home then go to emerge..bit of a nuisance I will tell you, had to have vandals governed with creams just to stand the itchy-nesssss..yikes..

Be back to read, girls are calling, breakfast is waiting

Waving to all, hope you enjoy this long weekend!

Jeeze Betty .. not sure you should wait on that bite .. i won't get into it, but, if it was a certain type of spider, the wound left behind can get QUITE nasty.
Do you have coverage for the US? Some major credit cards, like Visa Gold or Mosaik, do cover you.

Glad to hear you're having a good time .. be safe on the trip home ..
Raining here the last 2 days ... greening up something serious ..

~M~

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

The sun came out yesterday and I spent four or five hours in the garden....not really working ....just puttering.I dug dandelions with my new digger out of the flower beds. Put fertilizer on some plants etc. When it comes to bending over or kneeling I still can't do it.I had supper at my son's and into bed early.I didn't wake up until 11:30 today.Willow my cat slept too.I hoped to do more fertilizing today but it's too darn cold.When will the warm weather come?My garden is growing in spite of the inclement weather.JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - please see to that eye!!!!

Marilyn - hope the rain lets up a bit....

Joy - glad you got a good 24 hrs(more?) of sleep! Sounds like you needed it!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sat and Sunday good gardening days but it rained all day today until early evening when I fainlly took he dogs for a walk. I had intendedto finish getting the veggie garden planted today but it will have to wait.

Betty get thee to a doctor!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

BETTY!!???? How is your eye?
Alberta Ann

I think Betty gets home sometime this evening, guess we'll find out then how her forehead/eye is ..

Cut grass today .. or .. shall I say .. dandilions .. still trying to learn to EMBRACE them .. but OMG, with the 'no spraying' laws now in Ontario we have acres and acres that are just seas of yellow.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, got back last night at 12:30 or should I be saying this morning..sure was tired, long ride but had lots of fun and laughs..

Eye is back to normal, just every once in awhile I feel mucus, sticks together, wash it and fine..soo much better..although it's 80% better, still black markings where what I assume is a bite, then red inflamed about 2 1/2 inches so quite a bit better as well..call after hours clinic, they are booked for today, can't book the next day, only same day call/appts. then called my Doctor's office, they are closed on Wednesdays..lol so we shall see..one sees so many really ill people that you almost hate to bother them with something like my forehead..

OOOPS someone in office needs me, be back in a sec to check up on all of you..lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Took photo on office labtec but not good photo..remember it's really looking good at this point

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
THAT looks nasty! I still think you should have it checked.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Joy love the pretty garden..lots of work isn't it...do you put fishies in that pond, is it deep?
Really should purchase a few little fishies for mine as I think my furies like to go fishing!

Took a walk around mine last night and this morning, can't believe just in 5 days how much growth there actually was..lilacs might be in bloom for the weekend..

"M" always take out USA travel insurance, not worth not having it but with having the 2 ladies along with me and everything planned to almost the minute I just couldn't see going to emerge and sitting for several hours..just had a client come in, he saw my forehead and said 'that's healing well' so guess I'll not go to emerge, just keep doing what I've been doing.

Friends Mike and Darlene are at my house today..needed new stairs coming in from the downstairs entrance area and they gave me a coupon saying for Christmas their gift for me would be to install the staircase soooo am excited to see what they've come up with today.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - glad you are home. I'm with AB-Ann - go have it checked somewhere just to be sure. Meanwhile, Polysporin drops MIGHT help the eye just in case. BTW, they are prescription only in the USA; so I ALWAYS travel with them. Same goes, I think for the cream. Good to have on hand.

Just dropping in briefly. Handbells go to Hamilton tomorrow for the Provincial Festival. Sure is a challenge getting 9 people, 9 cases of bells and chimes, 9 foam pads, 5 music risers and 2 Manhasset music stands, a case of binders, table covers, scarves and our box of equipment all organized to get down there.

Need to head out and do errands.

Vi-Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds like an awful lot of work Viola Ann but well worth it. Is the Provincial Festival a competition??

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

No competition. Just 400 ringers all gathered. Divided into 3 streams - Tin (easiest), Copper (middle and where my group and the majority of others are) and Bronze (most difficult music). Each group has a bunch of music to learn and then there are 4 pieces plus O Canada which EVERYONE plays together.

When we aren't in rehearsals, there are a variety of workshops or activities. A great learning experience for those who are new to ringing and for the rest of us too. All culminates in a massed concert on Saturday evening. Also during the Festival are mini-concerts by groups who apply to perform (not mine). Read all about it at: http://www.goodvibrations2011.ca/

I have 11 regular ringers (should have 12) plus myself and have 2 who opted not to attend and 1 who couldn't get the days off work. I also have a couple on sabbatical this year.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I concur - "get thee to a Dr"!!

Vi-Ann - yikes what a lot of stuff to haul to the Festival, but well worth it in the end ^_^
400 ringers?!?!?! What a lot of campanology!!

Jimny Crickets !! I must have 'signed OUT' of Daves .. first time in years .. came to login and I just kinda sat here .. fortunately I remembered my password.

Betty, I certainly hope you had that bite assessed .. the 'venom' can cause tissue damage ..

Planted some Nastutium and Morning Glory seeds today .. after 2 nights of frost I'm thinking seeds are the way to go !

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" I have the best. Of luck with seeds..now I mostly purchase shrubs and if the seeds take, wonderful, if not then they wouldn't survive our harsh winters anyway!!

Bought 2 variegated shrubs today, think they are variegated Japanese willows, leaves end up looking like pink flowers, then a shrub that I've never seen before, can't for the life of me remember what it's called, must take a photo and get the name off the tag..looks more like a plant than a shrub!

Church plant sale Saturday morning, most of what they have I already have but it's for a good cause, might just have to dig out another garden just so I have space. Lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rain-rain-rain- all day and until tomorrow evening they say!
Our weeding yesterday in between showers - so easy to pull quack grass and dandelions in the wet ground. Then had to put everything in the washer!
Today, suffering from cabin fever I dragged two old boxes I use out on the shed patio into the shed and planted them with Impatients and got a few things ready for Plant Share on Saturday. Hope the rain has stopped by then although it will still go ahead even if it snows!
Sunbday is open garden day for Hort. members and mine is on the list this year, so many things I wanted to have done but now cannot because of the rain - good thing it is all gardeneres who come so they all have the same problems!

This morning had my bone scan but wont have the results until I go back to cancer clinic on 7 June.

Also bought a new computer today My old 2002 Windows XP is starting to have a lot of problems so I took the advice of my IT Tech and got new. He will come and hook it up and transfer all my files, hope it gets done this weekend. This one is loaded with Windows 7.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

windows 7...... my DH has it and it takes some getting used to for me, but I'm on XP still, so I'm ok LOL
Hope you have good results, Carol!

Today I went to the hospital (PLC) (work sent me in an ambulance) because of some chest pains/pressure, and they ruled out diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure.
I didn’t have a heart attack or stroke, but they couldn’t rule out an angina attack so they sent me home with a bottle of nitro spray. It might also have just been heartburn.
I’ll get a call from the Acute Response Chest Pain clinic within the week with an appointment.
Otherwise - it's good to be home after an 8 hour stint in emerg..... siiiiiiiiigh lol
I'm back to work tomorrow, but will take it easy - it's what secretaries do, right? LOL

Susan .. I certainly do hope you take it easy today .. a long weekend would have been in my books ..
Imagine .. 8 hours in ER .. that in and of itself is so stressful .. noisy and confusing place to be situated. I wish you all the best.

Carol, a new puter :-) good luck learning all the ins and outs .. when i got this Dell laptop it had Windows Vista loaded, and people told me i would have so much trouble with it .. well .. it has been 4 years .. and I'm still good to go .. DAWG! I sure hope i haven't jinxed myself now!!

Off to shower and then a quick trip to town .. bought a cordless weed whacker yesterday at Canadian Tire .. got it home .. only ONE rechargeable battery inside instead of two !!!!!!!!!!!!!

TGIF ...... enjoy your weekend .. this morning is our third one with heavy frost !!!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still raining!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all...raining..what will surprise us all at least in my neck of the woods is if we have a sunshine day!!!! Gardens are sure loving it, the greens are absolutely the most brilliant of shades..actually looking outside you almost have to gaze twice as they are so bright. No frost so that's a plus as well..

I've been looking at the Canadian Tire flyer, know that the pond liner that I want which is 14' x 14' but you loose a lot of it due to depth is on sale for $100. but I didn't see the rechargeable weeder which I truly need...have an electric one but it's giving me grief and don't like having to tug extension cords in such a big yard..gas one, unless you purchase high end one is difficult to start when I don't eat my cheerios so the battery one would be perfect..must go check it out on-line..really, should purchase weeder and forget about pond liner..that would be sooo much work digging to make a secondary pond..hmmm now you've given me food for thought I'll have to think about it!

Susan with so much on your plate of late and dh no longer employed it could very much be stress that has brought an attack on..still, glad you are being checked over to make sure nothings else is going on.. 8 hrs. omg and see you wanted me to go do same for a little bite..glad you are smarter than I...lol hmmmm doubtful you will keep quiet today unless they tie you to the chair!

ViolaAnn, do you take a bus or travel in vehicles...exciting for sure.

Here is a photo of one of the 3 shrubs I purchased yesterday..although it's gorgeous and should be planted where it can be seen I have to consider the 6' it could possible grow to

Carol, are you all set up on your new computer? I have to purchase books re 'computers for dummies' haven't got a clue about them either they work or don't and when it doesn't I go crying to my son Jeff.. Praying for good results, hard on the nerves waiting for the results. We also are having a plant sale Saturday, luckily if it's raining they do it inside the church.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Hard to get outdoor work done unless you want to wear a rain coat and carry an umbrella..gee whiz louise, thought they said it would be an enjoyable spring..can only hope summer will be better!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.