What's Happening in your neck of the woods?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh where is her thread "M"??

Lots of happy and not so happy politicians for sure and yes I believe we are to have a provincial election, hoping that will be it for awhile, just think of what $$$$ used for elections could do if put to a good cause!

Rained here most od the day, it's a da that you are chilled to the bone..a hot bath is in order but I'm expecting Ann to drop in on her way home from palliative care if Mike's well enough for her to go home!

Wish I was having some of your spaghetti instead it's hamburger helper and mashed potatoes.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Jen's thread is on the Canadian Gardening Forum .. the one you go to to find 'US' :-)
Don't know how else to explain it. Alberta Ann and myself have left comments as the pic is so lovely.

Spags was good .. always a crowd pleaser, and, easy .. I'm ALL for EASY ^_^

Hope Mike is well enough to let Ann have time with you ..

Off to watch a 'chick flick' ~~

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mike has little time left, ann received a call the night before last to say mikes mom is at deaths door...mike is an only child, she's been keeping news of impending death from each of the, knowing would serve no purpose but she's in quit a quandary..not wanting to leave mikes side just incase..her daughters were going to the hospital in Toronto to be with their grandmother then up north to be with their dad..

Do hope she drops in, am sure she could use a shoulder to cry on..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I heard that Osama Bin Laden was buried at sea cuz no one wanted to claim him to give him a regular burial!
Wonder if the US took pictures for proof...... after all, people take morgue pictures, why not?

My goodness, Betty - poor Ann........ Tell her, when you speak to her next, that she & Mike are in my prayers, always.
And Ann is going to lose both her husband and mother-in-law. What a lot of losses in such a short time. Poor lady!

Wasn't that a party !!! LoL ... Piper was a year old yesterday .. got a lil cake and bought him a new collar .. and gave thanks that after 7 months of thinking he would NEVER become a 'good boy' .. he somehow managed to do so ^_^

Temps were/are spectacular here and come along with SUN .. the woods are greening up quickly and the perennial beds are popping .. in fact, the bed which includes 'Hens and chicks' is unbelievable !!!

I am still dealing with VERY bad shoulders .. WAS going to go for a massage, but got kind of nervous thinking too many 'what ifs' .. what if more damage is done, what if something moves the wrong way .. I keep hearing that theses Massage therapists are very well trained .. I do know they must be licensed as well .. my docs appt is May 18 ... think I'll try to make it til then ..

I see there are some deer lurking out back .. should go and put some corn out ..

Take care

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Piper is indeed adorable and the cake precious..hard to believe a year has gone by already!

Sunshine here as well, might have a bit of rain for tomorrow but the good news is the rain they called for all weekend might just be here and there..can live with overcast especially as the boys will be coming to do my list of 'needs'..

I don't do well with massage or other therapy, usually in more pain than before..I'd be waiting for your doctors appt. and getting his thoughts on the matter..

Drats, Suzanne can barely move, her back is so bad, we are leaving 2 weeks today for a roadtrip..hope she doesn't have to cancel out..maybe being home and in bed for a few days will help!

Hope Suzanne comes around, nothing worse than a wonkie back ..

Well, the sunshine went 'bye bye' about 9am .. left us with a dreary/cool day .. Lorna did manage to get her machine out and cut some of the longer areas of grass (over the septic field) .. got into one of the beds and did some weeding .. a forever chore .. despite the fact I wet newspapered and black garbage bagged that garden for one year 3 years ago .. !!!

Watched a VERY good movie last evening .. "The Secret Life of Bees" .. Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keyes, Dakota Fanning .. just a GOOD watch :-)

Should take the puppers for one more walk about ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Whatever Suzanne is having done they want to see here for. A full week..something about a gun?? Have to get details on what it's called..

Laying around until 7:30 when library opens... We can get a free year burning permit at the library when we cant make municipal hours ..might do groceries at same time!

Sun stayed out all day today but if you aren't directly in a cubbyhole somewhere it sure is cold..you can see changes in the trees and gardens almost hourly..everything righ now looks so dirty..hard to believe that after a few more weekend of weeding we will see such beauty..I always find this time of the year is the hardest..drab, unkept...let the sunshine and leaves come

I would say my grass needs cutting already!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cloudy all day here but not cold, supposed to have showers off and on the next 3 days. I drove to Lethbridge this morning ( and back of course) to pick up a dog from the Animal Shelter- her name is Sadie and she is at least 10 years old and seriously overweight. We will get her on a diet and exercise program ( her foster family has a treadmill- maybe they better use it for her) Seems a nice friendly dog.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sadie seems to have bad teeth?! Likely from a bad diet.... I'm trying to picture her on a treadmill lol 10 yo, eh? Well, she'll be well trained being friendly would help - how's she getting along with your furries?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think all senior shelties have bad teeth- I have come to the conclusion it is a genetic problem and tootally unrelated to diet !

I am not fostering Sadie ( I already have Sassy here long term) but she got along fine with the 2 shelties in her foster home.

I have been muttering about getting a treadmill for years partly so the dogs could use it. There is actually a small treadmill made specifically for dogs ( althugh I have not seen it) Now I have the light garden in the basement not sure there is room for a treadmill!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now wouldn't that be something to see..doggies on treadmills..lol

Think the white face makes her look older than her age!! Sailor is much the same...

Raining here, let it continue to rain, maybe if it does we'll have a sunshine weekend..hard to believe come June/July and August we'll have some of the warmest weather ever..I'm not so sure I believe them!

45 minutes to go, so looking forward to heading home..should really have made arrangements to go to the city after work to visit my mom..haven't seen her since before she had her knee operation..Usually she's at the cottage on Mothers Day and I get to visit so have to see if I can make it to the city..

Are you all doing exciting things this weekend?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Nothing special, Betty.
Are you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=dogs+on+treadmills+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.

Sadie weighs 63 pounds! Morbidly obese is the medical term! She should maybe weigh 30. Have to be cautious with exercise so she does not blow her knees and stress her heart even more!

Tomorrow I am heading out to an Adopt-a-thon in Carseland, a small town about an hour away. No dogs to adopt, will set up a table to sell a few things, mainly going ( along with a number of other rescue groups) to support a new rescue trying to get a spay /neuter program set up in that area.And do some education !

Sunday I am on duty at Lougheed House. They are doing a special mothers day brunch and I think there are some other activities going on. Can't remember what!

Today I headed out to a local greenhouse to start my annual spring plant buying spree- have a couple of gift certificates and not really wanting to buy much this year but I can always find something!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - what a wonderful idea this Fit-Fur-Life treadmill is!
63lbs! yikes - what must she have been eating...... and the lack of exercise, too!
Good luck on the sale in Carseland.
Maybe I'll mention to Bob about Lougheed House - it would be nice to go for a mother's day brunch - I'll have to check out the website for times ^_^

I wonder if the Devonian Gardens are open - yes, just checked their site, and the first day is tomorrow! Too bad I've booked a table at our church for the "next-to-new" sale.
Well, 2 more weeks and we have a long weekend - maybe will go to the Devonian gardens then ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Moyher's Day everyone..

Sunshine in myj neck of the woods, do hope its the same in yours..boys will arrive later this morning to do their annual list of 'moms to do list' and will not be thrilled that mom got it all done except for enlarging the patio...kept heavy work for them. Lol

Ann was over yesterday, Mike' mom passed away..difficult to say the least when he's at deaths door and only child..arrangements had been made years ago but because of situation and Mike being power of attorney only he could make the changes so she had to tell him about his moms death! If mike is ok this afternoon Ann will travel to Toronto for afternoon viewing, funeral tomorrow and Ann's family will go should Ann need to be with Mike..such a hard time for her and the two girls
Furies asking in, gotta run

Enjoy your day

Popping in to say hello ^_^
Seems it tis the season for 'volunteer activities' .. April was Daffodils for Cancer, now I am helping sell Carnations for MS and Mother's Day.
Did make it to the cemetery to place flowers on my parents grave and ambled down to my brothers as well .. lots of Canada Geese around .. love looking at them, but OH OH OH, their droppings are awful !!

Sorry to hear about Ann's M I L, my she is most certainly going through an extremely stressful time.

Carol .. Sadie looks sweet ... do you think she would 'take' to a treadmill? The Yorkie next door was doing everso well on theirs, until they realized he was 'CHEATING' .. someone looked in and there he sat on the NON moving runner beside the motion belt. He's quite the handful that lil guy (THAT is saying the least) !!

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY to all .. whether you be a Mom to human or beast ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty, such a difficult time for Ann. So glad she has you to help her out and our prayers as well.

Happy Mother's Day to all for whom it applies.

I've been mostly lurking as I've been trying to get in as much garden time as possible. Am doing a large hosta sale and benefiting my church 's renovation fund. I still have many varieties to dig up, divide and replant. There's a link to the sale page over on the Hosta Forum.

And I was being careful this last week not to overdo it because I had a concert to play last night. Was sitting in with the entry level community orchestra in town because they desperately needed help in the viola section and because they were doing Beethoven's 6th Symphony which in all my years of playing I've never had the opportunity to play before. Now, for the first time since Christmas, I'm down to just one orchestra for the rest of the season.

This message was edited May 8, 2011 10:16 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

ViolaAnn, wonderful way to raise funds for the church renovations, wish I lived closer, am sure I'd bring a trunk full home..don't you find the gardens are slower coming out this year? Been working them and you'd never know there are hosta's planted..only in a couple of spots i' seeing their pretty heads pop up.

Nice to see you are finally taking time for yourself..sure you've more trips planned, guess when playing it makes it difficult to schedule.

"m" they do daffodils here but haven't seen the carnations..perhaps I'm just not looking..always soothing for the soul to walk the cemetery I find, a way of saying they are not forgotten

Better head to the grocery store before the boys arrive..got my list of 'to do" ready on the table so best make sure there are treats out for them

My gardens (some of them) are coming alive with colour ... I am blown away by my Hens and Chicks !!! Just vibrant .. but .. my paltry wee Hosta bed shows nary a sign of life .. yet .. however, i did see 'bunny doo doo' in close proximity .. so perhaps as the Hosta appears .. some furry little bunny is having 'Hosta salad al fresco' !!

Betty .. am unsure as to whether the MS Society sells the carnations Province wide on Mother's Day or not .. great way to make money .. $9./bunch and they are lovely .. pink, red or white ..

Off to watch a movie

Hope everyone has a safe and happy upcoming week ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

we got some mini carnations to give out to the ladies at church service this am. Turns out I thought someone else used to get them (she was sick today) and I was wrong - but the one who usually does wasn't able to get flowers for the ladies either, because she's getting over a broken ankle and wasn't at church today either. So it worked out. Would rather not have had someone announce to the congregation I got them, though. I asked him if we should announce he passes out the bulletins, ushers people to their seat and made sure every woman got flowers? He said "no" so I asked him not to point out my wee contribution either, please lol Y'know, we all contribute to the church, small to large contributions, and it's to one purpose, so no one of us is more special than another. btw - he also makes sure elderly ladies get safely on our elevator, and if they need assistance walking in any way, he's There for them. Such a sweetheart!

Happy Mother's Day to all!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just knew Susan that your church would do so ethnic special for the ladies of the congregation! Koodoos to you for xtaking things in hand.."M" said the same about my hosta's, no can find..hiding so where..although everything is growing in leaps and bow ds no color yet..do see tulips though, might have blooms by the weekend.

Thrilled with Mother's Day, boys and family came and accomplished all except hanging the stained glass panel on back deck..my fault..didn't have the hooks..so nice enlarge patio and many additional treats within the garden..I was singing "oh happy days"

Nice to see the boys teasing the heck out of me about my gardens,seating areas, secret garden and garden art..best I watch kiggiggi (?). jeff said he was putting an add saying to come between 10-4 Moving sale, help yourself..but DIL did say she'd be at the house for the rusted metal art sooo can't be that bad

Yikes, spending at least the morning if not longer at hospital for tests..have to be there for 8:30 so best I run

Enjoy your day!

Betty .. glad to hear all went well with the 'to do list' and good luck with the tests ...hope you don't have to wait too long, that always kinda frosts me, go for a 5 minute procedure, and wait half an hour (or more)

Susan .. don't diminish your charity .. it was something that needed to be done, and you took up the staff .. good for you.

Watched a very good (intense) movie last night ... 'The life of David Gale' .. quite the convoluted twisty turny tale ... Kevin Spacey and Kate Winslet .. i recommend it ..

Off to do some grocery shopping today .. supposed to rain, actually most of the week ..

TTFN

~M~

Wanted to share this pic of the plant stand with Hibiscus and Geraniums, AND, Piper (of course) seems where ever I go, he goes LoL

Cooooooooooooolllllllllll day here .. waiting on the rain !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Our litle Adopt-a-thon went off OK. Made the grand sum of $15! Not that we went out to make money! There were 3 other rescue groups there, beagles, greyhounds and a all breed group in addition to ASR and the host group. It is a small town so did not expect much, there was a trickle of people most of the day.Rain started on the way home and continued off and on and most of Sunday.

Had 5 minutes of hail Sunday afternoon but it did not do any damage. Lougheed House was very busy , did two tours and left that seems to be as long as I can stay on my feet these days.

I bought a couple o f trays of plants on Friday, one perennials, one annuals- the annuals to use in my Tipsy Pot construction. Yesterday after LH to a friends who starts a lot of plants and picked up a tomato and eggplant. She was supposed tohave a flat of pansies and impatients for me but forgot so won't get that until later in the week. This morning to Cdn Tire to get potting soil and geraniums for two of my pots. I got two Martha Washington Geraniums on Friday - I love the colors. Also picked up a little tea rose at Safeway for $5- left over from Mothers Day sales I guess.

Got most of the pots sitting out where I want them and full of dirt- too bad I did not do that before the rain came as the soil has to be wet before planting!
I usually do them all out in the veggie garden and then move them, this year I am doing the opposite.

Supposed to be nice and warm all week, my garden helper comes over on Wed to finish the clean up. Hope the lawn guy will come this week two.

Appointment with the oncologist tomorrow.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh I forgot the first of my two hosta orders arrived today - all 'mice'

Cat and Mouse, Country Mouse, Frosted Mouse Ears and Snow Mouse. For now I just have them potted up and will keep under the light s for a while. The hostas in the garden of course are not even showing yet.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

From where did your Mice come? Nice little collection.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are from Shades of Green,

I have another order coming from Goldenbrooks.-Mighty, Desert, Holy and Lucky!

This message was edited May 9, 2011 5:35 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

cute mice!! (never thought I'd say that lol)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine day here, hate to go to work but must do...

See the gas prices, up 6 cents a litter...terrible,
Running late so will be back to chat when I get to work

WIND WIND go away !!! Remains coolish here .. no rain as of yet, seems Sask is getting that .

Went to get gas .. it's $1.45/L here .. I paid $1.10 on the Reserve and the line ups were incredible ..

Noticed 2 of my Peony bushes are sprouting up quite quickly .. hope the deer don't like them !!

Toodles ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was listening to the news, calling for yet another increase tonight of 2 or 3 cents..unbelievable, blame everything on something, now it's flooding situation.

Wish we had a reserve nearby, when you take the line-up factor and time spent do you think it's worth it..

Can't wait to get home tonight and look at what has grown...

this is new for 2011, going to Garden Gallery Friday after work to look for it..

Madley blue rock cress

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Nothing but wind here too! I am so tired of it,even if I was brave enough to bring plants out due to the temps,I couldn't because of the silly wind!

Hey IM when I checked the National radar it looked as though Sask was getting a lot of rain .. we sure do have wind .. and .. with wind comes, unfortunately, forest fires have seen 2 water bombers go over today ..

Betty .. what a pretty flower .. lovely colour ...

Better rattle some pots and pans !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carole, wanted to say earlier that I look forward to seeing your hosta once they've been planted and grown a bit..bet they are beauties,

Looking out at tree limbs and they are barely moving so wind not a problem here but it feels like it will rain! IM, could you have frost even this late in May

Darts "M". Quite the worry for you all..don't recall us ever having a forest fire..must research if we have

Got to figure out how to tell wind sped, burning says no burning if it's over 20kl but how would you know?

Heard that there is another native Indian high school student missing in your neck of the woods..from Fort Severn..seems 7 others over past several years have gone missing and bodies found..yikes I'd be terrified

Cathy just called and said she was here this afternoon and Missy came to the door with a woodpecker in her mouth..luckily cathy was able to distract her and bird flew away..probably die from the shock..only part about having cats I dislike

Better get myself settled in, t.v. Bingo at 8pm!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Sending some rain your way...................

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Blood work ( no results or else it was OK forgot to ask ) and visit with oncologist this morning. Ultrasound of thyroid last mouth is fine, probably repeat in a few months time. I've been having some aches and pains in my right hip so I am going to have another bone scan. Otherwise everything continues.

I usually turn on my watering system myself but I opted to have the company come this year as the system is 10 years old and the tech would fix any problems he found while here. Everything was fine but the guy who does my lawn arrived to do the lawn cleanup at the same time as the water guy! Fortunately he went to another job and came back - didnt want to have to dodge the sprinklers.

A lovely day here, supposed to be like this all week. Got some more yard work done, tomorrow my hired garden help ( a fellow hort. society member earning a bit of extra cash) comes and will do the front yard and what ever is left of the back- saves my back.

With some assistance from the artistic eye of a friend ( who is one of our foster moms) I have been rehanging all the pictures. Most have been where they were for almost 20 years so it is interesting to think of changes. Amongst pics unhung we found a little oil in a horrible frame that I have had since the middle '70's.It was painted in the '50's by the SIL of one of my great aunts and I kept it when my aunt died. The SIL used to paint flower pictures which were sold to companies that made note cards. Anyway removed the old frame and took it in to get new on it and it came home looking quite nice. It along with several other small ones will all go on one wall. This evening I am going to work on the grouping on the LR floor!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

I used to get $35.00 an hour when I hung pictures.I feel like a new woman.Had my hair cut and styled,eyebrows,waxing and manicure . My garden has been cleaned up and mulched.Now if it would only stop raining they could come and cut down the maple tree.All this and I didn't do anything but write cheques.There are some advantages to old age.Just forget the pains and aches that appear so often.JOY

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad you have someone helping you with the yardwork, Carol.
So, your pictures on the floor - are they already set in a pattern or does that come next? I've heard of people who put brown kraft paper on the wall, the draw the size of the pics, trying them here and there, so see what works.

Well ..if you sent the rain IM .. it worked .. nothing torrential, but it came accompanied with thunder .. actually, since it's the first thunder storm of the season it was kinda nice to listen to, altho, our 1 year old doggie was not too thrilled, if the thunder was LOUD, he would bark ..

Betty .. i just read that they MAY have found the body of the young man that has been missing for the last 3 months. No one is sure, and the body was found in the waters emptying into Lake Superior. Sad to say the least. Lots of controversy here with the Native youth coming from their Reserves up north to go to high school in Thunder Bay. They find it difficult to assimilate into the 'city culture' and some get involved with drugs and alcohol ... not saying that is/was the cause of Jordan's disappearance .. not even sure if the body found is his. Just an all round 'problematic area' with no magical answers.

Good luck with the pics Carol .. only thing I have ever heard is that they are to be at eye level ..

Off to the vet this morning with the whole crew for their 'yearly check up and shots' .. no shots for Smokey though .. at 14 he is healthy and the vet suggested we forgo the 'stuff' as 3 years ago it sent him for a loop !
He's another 'birder' Betty .. and, like you, I dislike that cat trait as well ..

Off to find an orange, or, maybe a banana ...

Have a splendiferous day ^_^

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.