CLOSED: DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 5

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

FOTV. where do you find the seeds? I have one at work that set 3 blooms. someone came along and snipped the blooms off before I could look ofr seeds.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Take the scissors away from them...lol You can make crosses but believe mine last year were self pollinated. Perhaps this article will help.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2977/

Athens, PA

Anita

snip off the anthers with the pollen on them and rub them on the stigma - the central thicker part. The pollen should stick to the stigma and this will fertilize the flower. After the petals fall off, you will see the part where the petals attached, start to swell. This will eventually dry and split open. There will be seeds that are brown, round and flat in the pod. The seeds are a bit smaller than a dime.

I too had thought about cross pollinating some of mine.....

Carolyn, what you are telling me is that I need to impregnate my Amaryllis? I don't think I have ever been asked to do such a thing. LoL

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

One of mine that bloomed last winter. "Elvis" my all time favorite singer.

Enjoy, right now the temp is registering -24 below.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

Susan, nice link very useful information and pictures. I may try that just for the heck of it.

Athens, PA

Anita - yes, that is exactly what I am telling you!^_^

Maxine - Elvis is gorgeous! I'd love some seed. Are you going to pollinate Elvis?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Right now it is in the fruit cellar resting. It will be some months before it blooms, but will try and save seed for you.

Maxine

Athens, PA

Maxine

Thank you!

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

The Seed Robin has landed in snowy Western PA! I'm opening the box right now and just can't wait to see what's inside!

Linda

Kewl Linda! I'm excited for you!!!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

hOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD NITE SLEEP :)))
Without dreaming of seeds :)
susie

Thank you for your envy that came today, Carolyn :)

Anyone else interested in Amaryllis, critterologist has written two other articles about them that I found helpful. If you want to check them out, go back to the link I posted yesterday, click on her name and scroll down to Amaryllis 101 -- it's a two-part article.

Merrymath - Mary, The Robin is repacked and ready for the post office tomorrow. Be on the lookout for it.

Thank you so very much to everyone who participated and who gave me seeds directly. It was a lot of fun to go through and look at the plants these seeds will produce. What colorful gardens we should all have this coming year thanks to everyone's generosity.

FruitOfTheVine, there were lots of Echinacea Milkshake and Echinacea Tomato Soup seeds-THANK YOU. I separted them and packed several up separately for future traders!

I'll post the Delivery Confirmation Number as soon as the box goes to the post office.

Thank you all again,
Linda

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Just wondering: after reading the post above about the coneflower seeds, I was wondering if there are seeds available for some of the new varieties of cones. In my feeble little mind, I thought they were hybrids therefore, the seeds were not true to variety. If they are true, I would love to know a source.

Am putting up another list of seeds to give away on the "round 2" robin entry.

Thanks,
ME

You are so welcome to the seeds I sent you, Linda, and appreciate the time you took to make extra coneflower packets for others. Those seeds are like needles and that was very sweet of you!

ME, The only hybrid Coneflower I've read about that comes true from seeds is "White Swan". It's not one growing in my gardens so I can't tell you from personal experience. Perhaps someone else here has it and has tried? Hybrid seeds from others will give you a plant similar to the parent for several generations before it reverts to common Purple.

I have been hoping to try the newer variety of coneflower seeds. I plan to WS a few to see what comes up. Thanks for adding those seeds.

THANK YOU FOTV for including them! What I do to release the "cones" which are what the seeds look like is press down on the the dried flower head on a piece of copy paper-and roll it around a bit - and then divide the seeds from the dried petals, which are like sharp needles.

My experience with the newer varieties of cone flowers has been pretty good. I've had seedlings bloom from Sundown and Harvest Moon/Summer Sky -they are planted near each other. The plant bloomed pretty much like the parents. So far I've not had a single seedling from Sunrise. It produces loads of seeds but I'm surprised that I haven't had any volunteers from it.

I've had White Swan for 4 years too, and it produces lots of seeds and seedlings. I give the seedlings away or compost them because of lack of space. I've not had any feedback to find out if the seedlings are true to the parent or not.

I've found that I've not had trouble with any of these plants being hardy in zone 6. We were down below zero the last couple of nights but we do have snow cover, which helps insulate the plants. Thank goodness for that!

Linda

I have had white swan out front for the last 3-4 years & There is no new shoots its still the same as when i planted it
could it be my clay soil ?? but it dose set seeds.

Going to be busy most of today but will try to get back in later today have to get ready for dads B-day Party tomorrow evening .
ya all have a great day
susie

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I received seeds from some where and they said they were white swan and when they finally bloomed....they were black eyed susans. I wasn't happy. But, my mom had white swan so she shared a division with me. =) I did get some of the tiki torch and tomato soup out of the robin and I'm gonna give those a try when I winter sow.

Erin

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Went and watched the monster truck show yesterday with my little family. Had a good time.

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

That looks like fun. Is it loud? My son was always thrilled with anything that had to do with trucks.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

It was very loud! But the kids had their headphones on.

LoL I'm going to have to check it out at least once. It seems like a fun show! I want to know how the drivers get in and out of the trucks???

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Alrighty! Excited to know that the seeds from the new cones look like the parents. Will harvest seeds when mine grow. Thanks all for the info.!
ME

Robin is on it's way - DC# 03082690000186256543. Let us know when it reaches you Mary.

Linda

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yay! We're next! I just told my daughter Kat (21 yrs old and our other household gardener) that the robin was getting close! She said "Mom, you've been telling me that every day." Right now she's looking through the Breck's bulb catalog.

I just ordered some seeds (don't tell my family) and they will arrive before the robin does. So I will have extras to put in the robin...if there's any room.

...IS there any room?

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 4:41 PM

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Denise, check you d-mail. Because we live so close to each other, I plan to physically deliver the ROBIN to your doorsteps!

MARY

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I just received multiple 'edible' seeds I don't hace space for,
and will put them into the second round of this RR.

One there is just trade each, usually no year or source stated.

purple hyacionth bean
1/2 runner bean
Brown Crowder bean
Harris Model parsnip
purple top white globe turnip
-
Detroit Beets
blue-podded garden Peas
-
-
Long Island Improved Brussel Sprouts 2010
evergreen long bunching Onion
cilantro
-
-

Corey

This message was edited Jan 25, 2011 2:16 PM

There is room in the box IF you pack carefully and make sure to take air out of the bags after taking what you want out of them.

All the padded envies and paper envies take up a lot of room. Just a suggestion for future Robins - There should be a zip lock bag with the name of every member on it and promised seeds could be added to the bags as they reach each trader. When the Robin would get to you, you could remove your bag! Just a thought to keep the size of the Robin down and postage costs down.

Linda

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Are there still padded envies in there? Have we been instructed to NOT remove them and replace them with something less....padded?

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 6:20 PM

In the future If there is to be other Robins we will have to make some changes :) But We Need & Always welcome Ideas as to how to make the robins betters .

It has been a long day & all I want to do is to get my feet up & I Still have to go get the Kitchen cleaned so wishing you all a safe Evening .

susie

you can do what ever it takes to pack the robin as long as everyone gets there promised seeds . any seeds that are promised can be put into one Baggie as long as the baggie is marked as so & Everyone name is on the outside & please when you take out your seeds CROSS OFF YOUR NAME .

thank you all & GN

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I did consolidate some bubble-mailers into a plastic bag so I could get it closed ... and I was only the second stop!

Sandwich baggies without ziplocks are the smallest things I could find, and they "jam together" really small. Scotch tape holds them closed.

Postal rates transcend human understanding, but one clerk told me that whay we were sending around was "priced by weight", not by size. Maybe that changes with distance, weight, size, phase of moon and Postal Whim, who can say?

But I did finally figure out that a bigger, sturdier box is HEAVIER than a small flimsy box, so what can you do? I'm pretty sure that one box is always cheaper than two.

There should be some fairy tale or myth like "Stone Soup", about "the seed Robin that kept getting bigger" ... and bigger ... at each stop, until it was bigger than the mail truck, then bigger than the Post Office, and then bigger than the whole town.

Maybe it is no myth. Maybe we don't need a tracking number any more to follow the Robin, just Google Earth. Or a seismograph !

Headline in The Enquirer: "Scientists on Mars spot an earthly Seed Robin the size of Pittsburg that looks like Elvis' head!!"

Corey

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Corey, may I have the following seeds?
I will pay postage for you to send them to me.

Pinto Beans We love these dried beans. Purchased some either in Colorado or N.M. on our travels.
straight 8 cucumbers. Have planted these for yrs.
Cherokee trail of of tears beans. If even one grows I can save the seed for the following yr.

Corey, what can I send you for your little one to plant? Or aren't you teaching them to grow things?

Maxine

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Corey, you always make me laugh. What a great way to start the morning. "Rock Soup" ..... I remember this from when I was a little girl, but for the life of me can't remember the lyrics. Guess I had so much stuff in the gray matter, that one got pushed to the back and filed somewhere. :-)

LoL Corey I would love it if you signed on at least twice a day...1st thing in the morning with something to make us all laugh and again at the end of the day with something else to make us laugh. We all know that whe4n you post something we will all have a chuckle. You are sure to get our day off to a good start.

Gm all just wanted to stop in let you all know I;m around just peeking in here & There :) have to many pots on the fire if ya know what I Mean daddy 's B-day & He has lots for me to do .

so you all have a great day & I will check in later.

susie

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wish daddy a happy b-day!

Happy Birthday Daddy from your daughter in Indiana!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.