Snow in 49 States

Winnsboro, TX

The news just said that we have snow on the ground in 49 states. Florida doesn't have any snow YET.

Can you say "WHAT HAPPENED TO GLOBAL WARMING'?
I'm going to do like that little kid on TV and get a snow plow to go on the front of my little John Deere riding lawn mower. That kid is getting $25 a pop to clear his neighbors sidewalks.

I don't like this cold white stuff, you folks up North can keep my share.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Lebanon, OR

We do not have snow here HEHEHEHEHE

D

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Oh Rub it in De.
Marian-it's yours-you keep it.

36 today and tomorrow YAHOO

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry for those of you who rarely seee snow.
Its common here and we just wait months to see the ground either green or brown it doesnt matter.
Hiking and walking is limited too for us older citizens.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

We have snow here too, have shoveled every day this week. 2 inches yesterday, 1 inch another day, etc, etc, etc.

What I haven't figured out is HOW my dog tracked mud inside on my freshly washed kitchen floor yesterday?

Wineberry Candy, it bloomed for three weeks in July. This is where I first figured out the different sizes of the scape heights, I thought all daylilies were tall (except Stella)! I bought it because it was pretty, at least I had the foresight to plant it in the front of my garden!

I am such a novice!!!!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2011 6:11 AM

Thumbnail by philljm
Beaverton, MI

well its snowing in michigan right now. big fluffy white stuff good thing it is only 65 days til spring.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

We sure got a bunch. It snowed 6"-12" here in Huntsville AL Sunday. It is still on the ground today which is the first time that has happened in the seven years I have lived here. Don't know what the actual record would be. We might have made it this time! Usually when it snows here (happens once or trice a winter) it only last for several hours before melting. This year we already had snow on Christmas Eve that lasted several days before it melted.

Winnsboro, TX

I agree with Steph, rub it in DEEEEEE! LOL
Steph it's been days since we've reached 36 or above.Aren't you the lucky one ? This is just not TEXAS weather. I'm sending it to you because you folks are use to it. Kim and Steph you can keep your snow and cold. I have told all of you many times before, if it's below 65 I'm FREEZING. I guess it's because I have thin blood.

GE you be careful trying to get around in this mess. I vote that all of us older folks need to stay inside and not risk falling and getting hurt. We have not even been out our front door as it's on the North side of the house and is very slippery and dangerous. If we do go out to feed the horses or whatever we use the back door. At least the sun is out today but it's still only 30 degrees. The sun was also out some yesterday but it hovered around 29-30 all day.

The birds are eatting me out of house and home. Feeding them about 15lbs of feed a day. Can't blame them because their not use to looking in snow/ice for something to eat. Let's just say all the feeders have been very busy and lots of fun to watch.

Ditchlily your use to the same kind of snow we have here. Snow maybe for a couple of hours and then it just melts quickly and it's no big deal. But this makes me want to move in farther south. LOL Thanks for the lessons regarding Plantstep. I'm trying to learn how to use it better.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

No snow here in Phoenix, though if I recall Lyle had the pleasure (or not) of some flurries at his place over the new year;o) When I first read that news report, I thought it never snowed in Hawaii. Guess I was wrong. They do have some peaks high enough that they get snow. Whodathunkit?

Warners, NY

After a close to record snowfall last month, I try to ignore it except that I have to get my disabled son to work. I have near panic reactions when we skid or when we find cars on opposite sides of the road, one on it's side the other on it's front bumper opposite it. Maybe they met each other coming down the hill! Anyway it may be time to start wondering where he will live when I just can't do it anymore. I keep telling myself I can keep driving in this weather for another year but I scare my wife having fits of temper when I get panicky about driving. And I can't walk outside so I think my glucose is going up. Old age is still fun in the summer when I can walk barefoot through our woods though. But you should hear the diabetic nurse when I tell her I garden barefoot. Doesn't every one? How can you feel the earth??--------------------Weedy--------------------------------------------------------- Old wild fulva and her seedling.

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Winnsboro, TX

Mike, I can't find your post about the Peacock Orchids. Where did you get them from? I googled them today and was blown away how beautiful they were. I want to get me some. My advice to EVERYONE is if you don't want to have to buy another plant, don't google them when someone is talking about them.

Marian

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I have FL relatives that had snow but it didn't stick.

Winnsboro, TX

It's crazy the past couple of days we've had rain. I'm ready to see the sun! I have the winter blues.
Marian

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Yesterday we got up to 42 and by early am we were -5/ It is so up and down here this year it is crazy.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

It's been beautiful and sunny here the past few days, temperatures 32 to 34, felt like a heatwave...lol. The ice in the birdbath was melting this morning, one of our regular flickers broke the ice up a little more and took a bath!!!!

Winnsboro, TX

I bet that little birdie froze his patootie off.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

I did get a few photos of the bathing flicker through the window.

Thumbnail by mcash70

12" of snow here last week and freezing. The last 2 days a "heat wave" at 34 degrees. More snow to come.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Can't get my dangblasted snowblower started, and the stupid snow plow driver once again, left a 2 feet high, by 4 feet wide pile of snow at the end of my driveway. Noone else in my cul de sac has that problem. I have never figured out what my kids or my ex ever did to anger him!

But I managed to shovel out enough to get my little car out.

Just finished raking my roof, too.

I saw on LA that there is a countdown timer to spring, and as of today it was 61 days away..... ~j

Phill I can relate to leaving snow. I live on a corner where the plow have to turn as it is a dead end street. So guess what.....?

LA just put that countdown up yesterday. Hmmm...61 more days uh. More for me here in Wy.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Blomma, I need more days too - like a month before I can get outside to do anything at all. But on the other hand....it's a milestone!

I Haven't figured out why the snowplow driver just can't straighten his plow when he comes by the driveways- he deposits all the excess snow in the upper corner of my yard anyways, including all the sand, grit and SALT. Grass grows poorly there, & I just let it be, because of all the winter stuff. You would think he could deposit the excess snow at the end of my driveway in the same place.... ~ Jan

Jan, that driver just don't give a ! It won't be his problem. In my case, nothing can be done since the driver have to turn or continue through my house.

Lilly

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Jan, have you considered that your "EX" might have tipped him real good for a favor. (I know, not funny!) grin. This is a necessary evil of the plowing business. That's why I don't do the edge of the driveway until the truck has already went by. Your spark plug on the S/blower may be fouled out. Try replacing it. Hope you are also using fresh gas.

Mcash70, that's a beautiful bird. I have never seen one of those around these parts. I use a birdbath heater. The only catch is that I have to top it off every other day.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Thanks Mike, we have quite a few of the flickers here. I have thought of getting a heated birdbath. How well would it do when the temperatures drop between -20 to -25 for a week, which can happen a couple of times each winter here.

Margaret

Winnsboro, TX

Mike, your are just too good at all this stuff. You have the answer to EVERYTHING that' one of the reasons I love having you here. If you need to know something, we can just ask you. Big Fat Grin!
Marian

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Yanno Mike, perhaps he is friends with my ex! I don't have this problem when the other guy drives, just with this one. I always thought someone in the family PO'd him, but perhaps it's just me!!

The snowblower is less than 2 years old, and has only been used about a half dozen times. (lucky me, the last several times we have had major snows, I have been on vacation and the neighbors did my drive for me!!!) It could be the spark plug, I didn't think that would be a problem so soon. And yes, The neighborhood guys have been VERY insistent that I use fresh gas ALWAYS in my mowers and stuff. In fact, I now only own a little gas can, so it's always fresh. Now I wonder if I should just not worry about it until early fall, because everyone I called to look at it is swamped. And you KNOW as soon as I get it running, it will quit snowing. But I will definatly check out the spark plug, thanks.

Temps to be frigid tonight and over the next several days. When I had farm animals, I used to love to do chores at night in the winter, when it was crisp & cold. Some nights even in the dark, it would be so bright out, that you could see shadows.~Jan

Winnsboro, TX

Jan, you can come to Texas and feed our animals anytime you want to when it's cold, wet, or icy outside. Just please remember to shut the gates to all their stalls and the barn. Just last night my daughter went done to feed them and forgot to lock the main gate, Needless to say last night I had horses in my daylilies and irises. The ground is wet and sloppy from the snow, ice, and rain we've had for the last two weeks. The horses made a huge mess out there and I'll have to straighten it up after the ground starts to dry up some.

Due to our age we got rid of all the horses but a couple of years ago. We also have 5 ducks, and 2 dogs. I'd like to have a couple of geese to keep the snakes away. I think they would be too much to deal with in my gardens and the first time they started eatting my daylilies they would have to go. They might stay down at the big pond but I'd sure have to watch them to make sure they stayed away from my daylilies.

It below freezing here tonight too. (frown) I really wanted to get out there and fertilize my plants. Guess that will have to wait awhile now.

Darn it all!!! More snow and still coming down.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Not too bad here today. Got up to 34. It is so up and down it is crazy. Blomma you have really been getting it bad there. One good thing is all the insulating snow. Also I want to thank you for all the great posts and links as they have been very helpful to me and others.
Steph

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous night tonight. I was visiting a friend, and drove 30 miles home on back country county roads. Cold, crisp, clear and a brilliant moon. There are definatly some good things about winter..... ~j

Our blizzar this afternoon. Can't see it but the wind was blowing the snow which gave low visibility. What is so good about winter?

Thumbnail by
Tomah, WI

Brrrrr! -15 here this AM. Hurry up Spring!!!!!

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Ahhhh, but we need winter, to appreciate spring! Granted, I too swear pretty loudly when that dangblabbit snow plower driver leaves all the snow at the end of my driveway, and I would wish that all snowstorms occur over the weekend so the roads would be clear by the time I am ready to commute to work on Mondays.

But, the extremes help me to savor every gorgeous day when we have them ~j

Winnsboro, TX

I couldn't have said that better myself Jan. Sometimes you have to miss something before you truely appreciate it. If it's summer, I want it to be winter, and if it's winter I want it to be summer.LOL Too cold in the winter, and too hot in the summer. Go figure.
Marian

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I don't care. Someone else can have it. I want sunshine and enough rain to make things grow great and call it good HAHA.

Quote from rebloomnut :
I don't care. Someone else can have it. I want sunshine and enough rain to make things grow great and call it good HAHA.

I agree but the 2 posts above do have a point. Also I would garden myself to death if there was no winter. I actually was glad that last summer came to an end------for 1 month. Early snow brought me to my senses.

Winnsboro, TX

Steph, move down here to Texas and you'll be wishing you were back in Montana and the snow. Our summers are as the bike ride they have in El Paso every year says "The Texas 500 Hotter than Hell". I can't imagine how they came up with that name. LOL

Besides, you have the beautful snow covered Mountains and so forth. But like I said above, it's doesn't matter much because whatever the weather is we're wanting it to be something else.

Remember a couple of years ago when I lost so many of my plants to flooding? Then I'd pray to God that the rain would stop. Well it continued to rain for like 3 months. Then when it did stop, I started praying for rain again so I wouldn't have to drag the waterhoses everywhere. Like I said, we're human and never satisified with what we get. BFG

Love Ya, Marian

P.S. I don't know how folks live in the colder areas anyway. I'm a wimp I could never take it. Even when I was much younger.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Marian, we all wear Packers sweatshirts to keep warm! That and hot flashes do the trick!!! ;) ~Jan

Winnsboro, TX

Jan, I wear sweatshirts and sweatpants too during the winter months. Most of the time I have another shirt under it too. Sometimes I even sleep in them just depends on how cold I am. I sleep with an electric blanket, a heating pad, a quilt and a bedspread on top of me. Sometimes I 've been known to sleep with a toboggin on too. 99% of the time during the winter I sleep with soaks on. If my feet and hands get cold I stay cold all night. Now mind you the temp in the house is set on 65 so it's really not that cold in here. As soon as we get up we turn it up to about 68-69. George has to have the ceiling fan and another fan on his side of the bed blowing on him because of his heart condition. I tell him it's like turning on the winds from the NORTH POLE.

Shoot-fire-shuckings I'm making myself cold just talking about it. (BIG FAT GRIN) Burrrrr.
Marian

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Yes Double what Jan said HAHA.
Packer duds are the only way to go in the winter. I live in sweatshirt and have many. It is not too cold here today but high winds 70-80 make it cold. I could take it without the wind. Good thing though as it is melting the snow everywhere and the ice on the roads and sidewalks has been terrible for the last 2 months. Well gotta get to work. Have a great day everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.