ROBIN STORING UP FACTS & INFO FORUM " JOIN US "

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WE CAME FROM HERE : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1102633/
DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN WISH LIST LINK : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126495/
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHAT FORUM : WE HOPE YOU WILL HELP US WITH YOUR INPUT ON MAKING OUR ROBINS MUCH
NICER FOR ALL . I WILL POST ALL LINKS HERE .
THIS IS NOT A SIGN UP LINK FOR THE NEXT ROBIN THIS IS JUST TO HELP US GET READY FOR A GREAT ROBIN COMMING UP THIS WINTER.

WE ARE POSTING EARLY ENOUGH SO THAT IF YOU THINK YOU WANT TO BE IN OUR NEXT ROBIN YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO ORDER A FEW SEED PACKS FROM COMPANY'S TO SHARE . OR COLLECT FROM YOUR GARDENS OR FRIENDS & FAMILY GARDENS .

PLEASE ADD YOUR ADVICE ON

HOW TO COLLECT SEEDS
HOW TO STORE SEEDS
LINKS TO HELPFUL WEBS SITES.
HOW TO MAKE LABELS FOR OUR SEED PACKS
TELL US WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THE ROBINS .

PLEASE FEW FREE TO HAVE ME ADD YOUR DO'S & DON'T 'S IN A ROBIN .

GUIDELINES FOR OUR ROBINS
#1 NO MORE HAND MADE ENVIES : PLEASE USE SM,MED,LG, ZIPLOCK BAGGIES """ONLY """"""
#2 NO MORE 4 OR 10 FOR $1. pks OF SEEDS
#3 NO BUYING BOXES OF WILDFLOWER MIXES & BAGGING THEM UP.
#4 NO STAPLES USED
#5 NO TYPE OR GLUES MAYBE USED
#6 YOU MUST POST WHEN THE ROBIN LANDS & SENDING OUT.
#7 YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF THE ROBIN & IF YOUR NAME IS UP TO RECEIVE & WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU
IT WILL BY PASS TO THE NEXT ONE ON THE LIST .
#8 ALL SEEDS MUST BE CLEANED THE BEST YOU CAN .
# 9 NO MOLDY SEED'S IN THIS ROBIN
#10 YOUR NAME MUST BE ON ALL PKS YOU ARE SHARING IN THE ROBIN
#11 YOUR SEEDS SHOULD BE NO OLDER THEN HARVESTEST 09 "PLEASE"
#12 NAME OF SEEDS & ANY INFO YOU CAN ADD SUN OR SHADE
#13 YOU CAN FIND ALL PURPOSE LABLES 1 1/2 X2 3/4 " TO USE ON YOUR ZIPLOCK BAGGIES AT A LOCAL WAL-MART
& THEY WORK NICE & MAKE THE PACKETS NEAT .
#14 NO CHANGING THE SIZE OF THE ROBINS BOX WITHOUT ASKING ME 1ST
#15 .PLEASE GO THROUGH ONE BAGGIE AT A TIME SO ALL THE SEEDS DO NOT ENDUP IN THE WRONG BAGS.
#16 IF YOU ADD SEE PACKS FOR OTHERS PLEASE PUT THEIRS IN A WHITE ENVEY & SEAL WITH THEIR NAME ON THE OUT SIDE . ALSO PUT LIKE TO--SUSIE / OR WHOM THEY ARE TO. & FROM "YOUR USERSNAME"
#17 : NO MORE THEN 4PKS OF ONE KIND CAN BE USED .
#18 DO NOT TAKE 10-15 PKS OF DIFFERENT SEEDS & PUT 4 -5 PKS OF ONE KIND OF SEEDS .
#19 YOUR DG USERSNAME MUST BE ON THE PKS OF SEEDS YOU SHARE .
# 20 . NAME OF THE PLANT IF YOU DO NOT KNOW ASK US HERE SHOW A PICTURE & GET AN ANSWER.
#21I would like to remind everyone to Please Put This INFO ON Your Seed pks .
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT BOTANICAL NAME AS LONG AS YOU KNOW THE COMMON NAME FOR IT .

PLANT NAME:
SUN/SHADE
PERN/ANNUAL
HARDYNESS IF YOU KNOW IT
YOUR DG USERSNAME
ALSO IF YOU CAN PUT FROM YOUR GARDEN / COMERCIAL/ OR TRADE

THESE LABLES WORK WELL & JUST FIT ON THE ZIPLOCK BAGGIES.
THEY ARE SELF STICKING ALSO THERE IS LIKE 75 LABELS FOR LIKE 1.99
& SOLD IN MOST ANY & ALL STORES I GET MINE YEP WALLY WORLD / WAL-MART

HERE ARE THE HELPFUL LINKS SHARED
ON HOW TO COLLECT SEEDS .
Cris
http://theseedsite.co.uk/harvesting.html
http://theseedsite.co.uk/db.html (seeds, seedpods & seedlings)

DG PLANT DATA BASE SEARCH LINK : BY LAZO

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php

HERE ARE LINKS TO GREAT SITES TO BUY GREAT SEEDS TO SHARE .
SHARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE SITES

HAZZARDS GREEN HOUSE /SEEDS
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Hazwho

SEED RACK
www.seedrack.com

JOHNNY'S SEEDS
www.johnnyseeds.com

dmtom ty
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/index.html

Cuttings Info By Lazlo

http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f25/propagating-cuttings-usin...

THESE ARE SITES TO PLAYERS ALBUMS

DEEJAY9/SUSIE'S PHOTOBUCKET

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/DG%20%20SEED%20SWAP/

MERRYMATH'S PHOTOBUCKET

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/merrymath/merrymath%20seeds%202010/

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 9:11 PM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 6:53 AM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010 5:12 PM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice picture of a robin.

Question ... why no glue?

I just purchased 175 of the 3" x 5" ziplock baggets.

I was thinking of using elmers glue to attach a colored pictue of flower/plant .... common name underneath that .... scientific name (if I know it) under common name and my DG ID at the bottom.

I want to find smaller baggets to place the very tiny types of seeds in ..... These packets would be placed inside the 3" by 5" baggets .... on the smaller baggets would only be the common name for the seed and my ID ... use labels for this.

I guess I could use scotch tape instead of elmers glue.

Where can I purchase baggets smaller than 3" x 5" ?

Mary

Sorry Mary I Had your answers all wrote out & My Computor froze up :( well the site did .
will try again :)

as for smaller baggies I Can get some 1x1's but they are not ziplock but you can tape then shut.
I KNOW IT SAYS NO TAPE OR GLUE UP TOP >

When I Say No TAPE OR GLUE That is for using on the handmade paper PKS that seeds seem to stick to the tape & Glue & Is a waste of the seeds .

You Can GLUE Or TAKE Your Info tags to the Plastic BAGGIES . MYself I Like the SELF STICK LABEL.
I Have a Place where I Can get them very cheap & I Will Put some in the NEXT ROBIN For others to use .
you can sometimes find them at $1. stores , in with stationary or school suplies .

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

smoking accessories "head" shops use to have small zip lock baggetts in various sizes. Probably still do.

Don"t Smoke so I cannot tell you , But I think we can find them somewhere at a good price .

Castlewood, SD

what about the small ziploc baggies that you can buy in craft stores?? or even walmart in their isle for making jewelry crafts?? they have some different sizes & are pretty cheap.. I'm definately no expert ~ but they've worked well for me.

yes I get Most of mine from wal-mart but there are some wal-mart that do not carry them .

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I can get some of the small ziplocks from the "head" shop for those of you who cannot find envies. I'm not sure of the price, I haven't had to buy any in a while. I"m due to get some so if you dmail me, I can send them to you for my cost. All I will need is the self addressed stamped envie with the money inside. I'm sure I paid less than $5.00 a couple of years ago for several hundred envies, so they are not expensive at all. Let me know if I can help.

I'm looking for directions for collecting seeds from Cockscomb (Celosia). I have no idea where the seeds would be. LoL

Does anyone have Summer Poinsetta (Amaranthus) seeds?

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I do not have Summer Pointsetta (Amaranthus) .... they are on my want list.

Susie .... a good reference souce is

http://www.tmseeds.com/

I just ordered Love Lies Bleeding seeds from them (here is the picture)

Mary

Thumbnail by merrymath

Mary I have raised the love lies bleeding ( ROPE PLANT) for many years but did not this year sorry .

Anita : The cockcomb I Grew a few years back was loaded with the seeds at the top of the plant you will see the black seeds cannot miss them when the plant is about done so just leave the plant when you start to see the seeds then get a Lunch bag what I like to use & put the flower in there to let the seeds drop in the bag .

I do that with many of my seeds write the name of the plant on the outside of the bag :)
Hope that helps a little bit .

well i have to go into town but back later to chat more .
susie

I am so looking foward to the next robin, it will be my first. any suggestions on what not to put in? what might be wanted by people? i have so many questions, am checking all the links provided to be sure i do it right. thanks

Thanks Susie! I have paper bags lined up all over my kitchen from collecting seeds. LoL I can hardly wait to get all of my seeds packaged. This is going to be so much fun!

your welcome Anita :)) My Shelves are also filled with sacks :))) I have about 6-8 type or colorful Butterfly bushes & want to try to collect seeds from them but it is not easy getting their seeds.
I would like a RED BUTTERFLY BUSH SEEDS .

Here is the deal I would like to see how many FRESH Seeds we can COLLECT FOR This Next Robin.
I Noticed that in this last robin there were seeds that looked as if they had been in a few TRADES .

SO NO SEEDS OLDER THEN Collected In 09 PLEASE >

AS For the small Baggies There will be some in the robin for any who need to use them .
I will Not Be Using to many of the seeds that came back in this last robin many are ok but some will not be put in . I Hope to start with many new types from my garden .

Someone Just ask what type of seed we are looking for : so
as you post maybe give hints as to what you all would like to see in the robin so we can help each other &
Have time to find them .

for example here are a few of my wishes :))) what I would like to see in the robin .

Sunflower mixed types Not just the wild or giant one
coreopsis there are many types
rubeckias all types not just the yellows
clematis seeds other then jackmanii or nelly mosser spelling might be wrong
Daylily Seeds OTHER THEN STELLA"S
triple yellow DATURA
painted daisies
ice plants
castor bean other then the red
Pumpkin Seeds of all type
gourd seeds of all type i hope to have a few to share from ones i have growing .

I'll list more another time what are some of your wishes . ???

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Is it possible to have a separate thread dedicated to posting pictures of flowers/plants we intend to contribute to the Robin? That way we can d-mail the poster to create a special marked envelop to put in the Robin for us if we really want the seeds.

Mary

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Susie, my wish would be for everyone to properly label their seeds, including their own name. Not just in this seed Robin, but in other Round Robin's I have been in there seem to be a lot of poor quality, old, mislabeled and just plain undesirable seeds included that do not have the name of the person who contributed them. I'm not saying that everyone who does not include their name puts in poor quality seeds, but it sure makes it easy to pass off something like that when you can do so anonymously. How could that be enforced, I wonder?
Just my 5 cents...
Alana

Mary : I have been out taken picture of all the Plants I Plan to share seeds of & Then I thought I would load them up to MY PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM UNDER THE CAPTION OF "RR SEED SWAP "
Once i get them loaded I will then Put a LINK To them UP Top So All can see If anyone wants certain seeds
I can put their name on them I have a feeling that with all the seeds I have we may need a huge box :)

If you have a ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM & WANT ME TO POST THE LINK UP_TOP JUST SEND IT TO ME
YOU CAN ADD TO IT AS YOU COLLECT .

ALANA : Yes I AGREE These new rules WILL BE INFORCED For the Next robin anyone who disagrees
I guess they are not true seed collector . I will not put up with ANY MORE sloppy Robins .
I Have been working on the guidelines & Have listed them UP_TOP
Hope I don't scare everyone away .

& if there is anyone who do not want to take just alittle extra time to clean the seeds ,
put correct names on them ,say if they are comercial, or collected or from trade ,
& Most of all their DG USERSNAME anyone putting packs in this robin with out this info
will not be able to play in future robins .

How will I Know you ask trust me I will know . I'm sorry if I sound harsh I trully don't mean to but I Feel that many of us PUT ALLOT OF Time AND MONEY Into Making these Robins Good for Everyone .
& Worth The POSTAGE SO I JUST HOPE YOU ALL WILL HELP MAKE THESE ROBINS SAFE & FUN.

& I'm GOING TO Say I HOPE That all Of You feel the same way .

Yes, that souinds reasonable. Its hard to plant seeds that you are not sure of the color or type.

I would love to have Hydrangea, Peony, Amaranthus (Summer Poinsetta), King Coleus, Coreopsis Lightning, Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia.

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

This house does not have a place to grow houseplants, so I was thinking of a fragrant cut flower like a carnation. I went to http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com. 500 seeds for $2.89. That's more than I can use. They had Coreopsis roseus 100 seeds for $2.49.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 9:21 PM

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Anita, Hydrangea ..... from seed?

I recently purchased two nice healthy hydrangea bushes. I can root some for you and send it to you in the spring.

Here is a picture of the type of hydrangeas I purchased..... it is from another site .... I purchased them only about a month ago .... they do not have any blooms on them now.

Mary

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 9:56 PM

Thumbnail by merrymath
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

The packet of Love Lies Bleeding seeds that I just order is suppose to have 1,000 seeds .... so you know I intend to share them!

Mary

Castlewood, SD

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/index.html

couldnt get the other link working to go check it out.. so I included the "ow" & it worked.. thank you

GM To All Just a few Hints for some of the new members to DG .
when you visit our forums & you cannot remember what you have read or not , just click onto the "SKIP TO NEW POST " that will take you to post that have been posted after your last visit .

ALSO when our forum reaches 300 post we will start a new one or for any of you dial up please let me know if it takes to long to load we can do a new forum.

DMTom: Would You Like to be called DM Or Tom ? or have you another name :) we can address you by . I Posted your link up top thank you for sharing with us . & Thanks
for ayrica for fixing the link Looks to be a very nice web. site & I will go check it out later.

Hope others will also share sites with us ,

Please ,Know I'm NOT Trying to point figures at anyone BUT I See many have Sent POSTAGE For Seeds Being offered By Others For Postage & Well In Many cases you Might be getting seeds 3-4 yrs old
you do not know how they been stored & Well I Just do not need or want these types in this robin.

I will not pass seeds off to you all like that & I hope that other will Not pass off these seeds to us .

someone ask about how many seeds to a bag ?? So here is my view on this .
as for me I'm just a Hobby gardener this is not a business so if i get like
1/4 teas of seed is more then enough for the small seeds

as for the med seeds like Daylilies seeds, 4 O'Clocks , I think 5-10 seeds are plenty .
as for many of mine Like I Have 1000 of seeds of many type so I will be putting them into one baggie
& I JUST HOPE THAT PLAYERS WILL JUST TAKE OUT A FEW THAT THEY CAN USE & LEAVE THE REST FOR OTHERS TO ALSO TRY .

RATHER THEN adding 4-6 baggies of each & have the 1st 6 players get them & the rest of the players go without is a little unfair so I hope that we can be on an HONOR Bases & Just take out what you can use .

This will help keep postage down also .

also for anyone to look at my Photo bucket & you see a white scabosia it is actually Yellow My camera
do not do pale colors so i noticed.

well don't want to ware out my welcome here :) Please give your advive or any concerns I Know
someone can help you :)
have a great day
susie

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Susie ..... please explain the following rule ..... I did not find a list of seeds in the last Robin.

#15 IF YOU TAKE OUT PACKS OF SEED PLEASE CROSS OFF THE LIST THE ONES YOU TAKE OUT

MARY

well i was going to put a list in but then thought no that was to much work so disregard #15 Please & I will go cross that off. thank you I just forgot to go back over the list before i posted it.

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry, my bad.

The name is Dane Like the dog Great Dane. It seems I'm not the only newbie here. I think they are conspiring against us.LOL

Now I confused, I went to the beginner page and looked up round robins. You have one where you get a box, take that and put something else in and send it to the next name. You have one where everybody sends the stuff to the host, they sort it out and sents every one their stuff. This one you tell people what you have and what you want then send the box person to person?

#18 DO NOT TAKE 10-15 PKS OF DIFFERENT SEEDS & PUT 4 -5 PKS OF ONE KIND OF SEEDS

UH, That would make the box short by almost half, unless they took half bags.

If we see a bag we want we can take some of the seeds out and leave the rest? Makes for a larger box.

Let's see 20 people with 5 to 20 different pks would be 100 to 400 total diffrent kinds. No wonder my DW is raving about me getting more seeds. I just traded money for some, conversation for some, stamps for some and now seeds for some. I need some more flower beds, have seeds will trade for.

dane

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 10:00 AM

HEY DANE YES EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN WAY OF TRADING :
Here However No One is sorting & Picking your seeds for you . You Have the fun part of sitting at your own table or on the floor whereever with a nice cold one or Hot drink of choice . & going throught the robin for a total of 3 days MUST BE SENT BY 4TH Day Unless there is a very good reason why not,,, like maybe your snowed in .
or its a HOLIDAY . You can even sit in your bare essensials if you like we just don't need to know detail s :)))

So Your Math skill s ar e good & This is why I Suggest that we make one full baggie of a certain type of seed
& Everyone will or can take out a few seeds Of each baggie they would like to try. This way it might help on the cost of if there happens to be 5-8 bags of the same type of seeds then yes you may take a full bag if you want.

well off to town so back in a flash have a great day .

susie

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Sep 11, 2010 7:30 PM

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Susie was sweet enough to let the last Robin make a stop over with me before it returned to her. It was my first experience of exploring a Robin.

My procedure was to empty the contents into another box .... The majority of the seeds were somewhat pre-sorted into gallon size baggies with catagory labels such as

Trees and Shrubs, Flowers A to L, Flowers M to Z, Veggies, Herbs, and others.

I reviewed one large baggie contents at a time .... I would empty the entire contents .... making two piles ....
one pile was for seeds I immediately knew I was not interest in ..... this pile was immediately placed back in the large baggie.

If there were more than 2 packs of a seed that I wanted, I took one of the packs. If there was only one or two packs ... I took out some seeds and placed in a labeled envelop ... if the DG member ID was on the pack .. I recorded that ... in case I needed to ask them for info I could not locate on the internet.

Susie was a great help during this process .... there was only one pack of Hyacinth Bean Vine with 7 seeds ... I wanted 4 seeds ...I felt it was a shame to have only 3 seeds in the small baggie but felt guilty about taking all of the seeds .... Susie said it was ok for me to take the pack.

If during the review of the remaining contents a catagory bag I had to stop before I finished, I placed all the packs that I had not decided about in a separate sandwich baggie with my name ... and placed it inside the large catagory bag.

After a complete review of a catagory bag ... I zipped the bag and placed it in ROBIN.

After reviewing all the catagory bags .... I prepared the Robin for take off by removing all the contents ... squeezing as much air as possible out of the baggies and zipping them close and returning them to the Robin.

I did notice that some seed packets were definitely not in the correct CATAGORY bag.

MARY

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Sep 11, 2010 7:29 AM

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Susie, in a prior post you said

Mary : I have been out taken picture of all the Plants I Plan to share seeds of & Then I thought I would load them up to MY PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM UNDER THE CAPTION OF "RR SEED SWAP "
Once i get them loaded I will then Put a LINK To them UP Top So All can see If anyone wants certain seeds
I can put their name on them I have a feeling that with all the seeds I have we may need a huge box :)

Will you please provide directions in how to review your "RR SEED SWAP" in MY PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM?

I just went to that site for the first time and played around with uploading pictures of plants for the seeds I plan to contribute.

MARY

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the info Mary. Now I see what's going on. All the seeds go in then they go person-person.

dane

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 10:27 AM

MARY JUST POSTED IT AT THE TOP MORE WILL BE ADDED AS I COLLECT SEEDS .

anyone tell be what type of plant the 1st picture is i just posted it & It says unknow plant yet if you have a name for me I Thank you .
back later

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Any way to do a robin without veges and trees and shrubs?

KOB : Not in this one we try to give variety to choose from there maybe others out there for flowers only
but we have many who also like veggies .

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I for one am interested in veggies.

The Trees and Shrubs Catagory bag was not too large.

I sent along some Japanese Red Leaf Maple (bloodgood) in the Robin before sending it on its way back to Susie.

These seeds have to go through a stratification process to germinate. The seedlings from the mama tree are for the most part similar to the picture of one of her babies that I rescued during extensive exterior renovations 2 years ago.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath

oh dear. i am so confused. am i supposed to be sending my seeds to whoever starts it or put them in when it comes to me? i thought when it was my turn i would go through the box, take what i can use, replace with what i have and send on to the next person. is that right?

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I think it's the hot weather people can't understand the cold weather people. They talk funny anyway. Mary helped a bunch, but I'm still not sure.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

You're correct Sherman .... only reason I added what I did to ROBIN was because it was making its final stop-over before returning to Susie.

MARY

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like

French Marigold Tagetes patula Colossus seeds

or a marigold that is similar

I was not able to find it locally this year.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.