Hot Dog, it's hot!

(Zone 7a)

I think it was past time for a new thread. We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120032/

Join us for weather, chat and photos.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread, Celia! We needed one! What is the little bird in your photo? I would say sparrow but the beak doesn't look quite right--maybe I am wrong about that.

BP: I thought of this poem when you said you wished you could burn your candle at both ends and only sleep a couple of hours each night:
"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light."
--by Edna St. Vincent Millay
I learned this poem in high school and it has stuck with me all these years! LOL

Sunfarm: great photo of the Monarch. What kind of flower is that?
Joey: gorgeous bloom!
Crissy: I think your yard looks even more dry than mine does and here I thought you were getting more rain than I was. Guess I was wrong about that! My Mexican Petunias are all blooming now, too. They like the heat--guess that is why they call them "Mexican" petunias!

# Today: A mix of clouds and sun with a slight chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Humid. High 92F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Humid. Low 73F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, that's a female House Finch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Mau, That's ironweed (pronounced "arnweed" around here) that the monarch was visiting.
Rain continues; I thought it had stopped soon after noon but it picked up again. I am curious to see how much is in the gauge when it does end. Wish I could share some of it with Arkansas!

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuuu!! :D Celia, I really appreciate the new thread! :D And Love the little house Finch!
LOL! Sally! 'arnweed' indeed! :D I guess we say it...'irnweed'! LOL! :D Love those pics!
We've had the rain, too. I really need to get a rain gauge! We had a slow steady rain for over 3 hours yesterday evening...a good soaker. Today we've had some more, but I think the flood watches are gone for the moment. It's a great 73°!
Mau, thanks. Love the Mex. Petunias! I never knew there was such a pretty 'tunia'! :D Good poem. :)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Celia. After I looked at the beak really good I decided it was a finch of some kind.
KY Sally: I need to get some of that "arnweed"! LOL Wish you could send us some of that rain, too.
Joey: glad you liked the poem and the "tunias"! :o))

there is a dark cloud on one side of my house and the leaves on the trees are blowing around and I can hear thunder rumbling. On the other side of the house the sun is shining. Hope we get a shower out of this.

I was outside with Friday a few minutes ago and saw this butterfly sipping nectar from the hummingbird feeder so I came inside to get my camera. When I got back outside the BF was resting on the side of the house. I got a couple of photos. I think this is a red admiral but I'm not really sure--does anybody else know what it is?

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the other pic--these are the best I could do because I couldn't get close enough to get a really good photo.

Thumbnail by marsue
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Mau, it does indeed look like a red admiral.
Though most of our rain ended soon after noon, it continued coming down lightly until about 5:30PM. There was an additional 0.59" in the gauge, so my total for the day is a respectable 1.42". The rain kept it cool also-- a welcome 74 degree max.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Current temp: 82 F
Sunny
Heat Index: 85F
Humidity: 62%
Winds: ESE 3 mph
Gusts: 4 mph
Visibilty: 9 miles
Cloud cover: 6%

Today's High: 87 F
Heat Index: 92 F

Spent all day otuside weeding my iris bed and my garden. By the time I was done I had 2 wheelbarrel fulls of weeds. Tomorrow I will spread my compost and mulch out. Already sprinkled Preen to keep the seeds from sprouting hopefully.

Storm clouds from last week.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks, Sunfarm, for confirming that red admiral ID. I am going to send those photos to BAMONA for positive ID. That butterfly has not been confirmed as having been seen in my county. As a matter of fact, several of the butterflies which I have photographed in my yard are not listed as having been seen in my county. I need to send them photos of all of "my" butterflies! LOL

The "dog days" of summer are upon us once again after a break for a couple of days. There was a thunder storm to the east of me yesterday afternoon--it would have been welcome here, but we didn't get a drop of rain.

# Today: Sun and clouds mixed. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. High 98F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: A few clouds. Humid. Low 74F. Winds light and variable.

I have a few flowers that are blooming. The purple sweet potato vine seems to be thriving, although a few of the leaves are turning brown.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

65°F Feels Like: 65°
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 63°
Pressure: 29.91 in
Visibility: 5.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 4 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 70s. Winds light and variable. Sunny to partly cloudy. High 88F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunfarm, we don't have too many Monarchs this year even tho we have milkweed all around and I always have a few on my butterfly weed. What are your purple blooms?

Chrissy, it's been a few years since we've had the crispy grass. It is depressing. Still, flowers bloom. They are pretty. I used to have some in a pot, but had to overwinter them each year.

Celia, thanks for the new thread and picture! She has the seeds before the head opens :o)

Marsue, laughing, how nice of you to remember it for just me! ''It will not last the night'' is exactly why I do sleep. It's a nice little poem and shows no one has enough time! Your petunias are nice too!

Sunfarm, LOL! I have one ironweed that gets 10' tall and one that is staying 5' tall, yet I could not place yours! Mine, alas, are done. I love them!

Joey, finally, a good rain for you! My snaps are all gone and didn't''t do well at all this year.

Marsue, love the brick color the Red Admiral is on.

Pepper, doesn't it feel good to get out and do something! Thumbs up on the Preen. Hopefully a rain will soak it up for you so it can lay it's weed barrier over the ground. Otherwise you should wet it down.

Wow Marsue, yes, let them know the butterflies you have this year! I know I haven't seen a few of mine before, but they are common. Someone must be letting the nettles grow since a couple like to feed on them. What is blooming with the vine?

Yesterday I mowed a day early and raked the old grass off the sidewalk. I had two wheelbarrows of that and weeds from the cracks. I haven't even swept it yet.

Today we get the boys till Sunday and it's going to be hot the next seven days!

Sunset last week on the jeep ride home.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Several of my ironweed plants are 10' tall; they may be weeds, but I think they are pretty.
I need to contact my BAMONA coordinator for this area with some of my sightings, as they have not been recorded as being here.
A foggy morning here. Unfortunately the heat and dewpoints are forecast to rise in the next few days.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: the blooms are on the sweet potato vine itself. I didn't know that it bloomed when I bought it, I just liked the color of the leaves. The blooms are similar to the blooms on the Mexican Petunias. Pretty sunset!

Sunfarm; by all means, do send your state coordinator for BAMONA your photos of the butterflies in your area.

I went out to the shade garden and dug down a couple of inches. It was dry that far down so I started the sprinkler. It would be nice to get a good soaking rain but we don't have any forecast. :o((

I got this plant at an RU in May. The tag has already faded and I have no idea what it is or who gave it to me. It has this small red bloom on it. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by marsue

Current Temp: 88 F
Heat Index: 92 F
Wind: S 9 mph
Gusts: 10 mph
Humidity: 47%
Cloud cover: 28 %

Today's High: 94 F
Heat Idex: 96 F

Storms coming in tomorrow night so that will help the preen settle in and get to work. Still hot though. Can't wait til fall arrives!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Aug 20, 2:53 am CDT

Mostly Cloudy

81 °F
(27 °C)
Humidity: 67 %
Wind Speed: S 9 MPH
Barometer: 29.80" (1007.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 69 °F (21 °C)
Heat Index: 84 °F (29 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Still warm at 3 am...

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Mau, your plant seems to be an abutilon. Is it opened today? I have one with orange blooms. The potato vine is awesome! Mexican petunias are beautiful and the red admiral too!
Sally, what a gorgeous sunset! That's a lot of grass and weeds! Hurray for the boys coming over!!!!!
Celia, wonderful pics of the finch! I can see now that they are eating your sunflowers too!LOL Thanks for starting a new thread for us!
Sally sun, what a great picture of the butterfly!

It's still hot outside, but not like before, a bit in the 90s, not higher. Sunny and no clouds. The air pressure which caused me a terrible headache 2 days ago is getting up now and all is well!LOL
I think these 2 are planning to set a new nest, the old one isn't vacant !LOL As my DH would say, these sparrows like to make babies!ROTFLOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

I forgot to tell you that I've figured out how to take pics of the moon! This camera doesn't have any secrets for me anymore!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is another sunset I took the other day. Very hard to choose one picture of so many!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Excellent Adina!
I agree w/ the Flowering Maple ID.

We were back into it again.
74° at 6AM heading for 94°..... Humidity is back!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

73°F Feels Like: 73°
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 69°
Pressure: 29.79 in
Visibility: 6.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 34 min Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the mid 80s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Mixed clouds and sun this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 88F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Sunfarm, I wouldn't be without my iron weed and assigned a wall just for them. My neighbor brought hers from the family farm because it reminded her of home :o)

Marsue, I didn't know they bloomed. What a bonus!

Pepper, I learned the hard way that Preen works after it has been wet :o(

Adina, sparrows do like little ones and many in one sitting, LOL! I'm glad your headache is going to be beter. Being weather sensitive is no fun. Wow, love the pictures with the new camera! The sunset is striking!

Well folks, another chance of rain here. If I could pass it off, I would. We're taking the boys to Kalona today. They'll see horse and buggies and get to pick out a calm toy at "The Country Store."

Ironweed and phlox

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

BP, the cultivated ironweed looks really nice against the white house and with the pink phlox.
Very dense fog this morning and should be warming to about 90 today.
Saw this red-spotted purple convention in the driveway last night. There were six of them, though it was hard to get a good picture of all of them.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Morning everyone! I think I'm catching a cold, have sore throat pptttthhhh. It's 71* in my office and 105 outside, can't imagine why I'd be catching a cold LOL!

It's still hot and I have no news.

Adina those are awesome pics!

BP that DOES look good against the house, has a 1950's feel to it.

I know what those butterflies are called, but I can't think of it. Some sort of Swallowtail I believe.

(Zone 7a)

Don't you hate when someone passes you a cyber-virus, Crissy? Heh heh heh Sorry...

65.1 °F
Clear
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Pollen: 7.40 out of 12
Clouds: Clear (Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Crissy, they are called "red-spotted purples." They do look a lot like the pipevine and spicebush swallowtails in colorings and markings but don't have the extended tails on their hindwings. Supposedly this helps protect them from predators by looking less tasty! I am having fun learning about the butterflies this summer.
Here's another picture

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 7a)

They're beautiful!

They are pretty. Yea, cyberviruses suck, but I know you're such a giving person I completely understand. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: nice shot of the flower and the BF! It's still hot here, too.
Rusty: hopefully, we will all get some cooler weather soon.
Adina: Great moon shot. The only kind of moon shots that I can get are fuzzy. I had an ID on my mystery plant of "Turk's Cap". Is that the same as abutilon?
BP: I have the phlox. Now I need some ironweed. Lovely pairing!
Celia: the shadow of that bee looks like a vulture! LOL
Those bf's are beautiful, sunfarm.
Crissy, keep your cybervirus to yourself, please, and don't bring it to our luncheon tomorrow, either! LOL

As Crissy said, still hot. What more is there to say about that except
"Blah"! or maybe "ppttthhh" LOL

LOL!! I'm feeling a lot better than I did earlier, wonder if I was snoring last night....

(Zone 7a)

Crissy, I could hear you out here. Darrell thought it was thunder.

Ah that's why I had a sore throat earlier! That explains everything!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

About the same as it has been all week. It feels like you could get sunburn in 5 minutes.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 20, 2010
95 °F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 29 °F
Wind: 13 mph from the SSE

picture from Mt. Pinos, where at 8800 ft elevation, it doesn't get hot

Thumbnail by Kelli
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

We had some right nasty weather yesterday... My rain gauge said we got 5" but most of the rain was up the mountain just west of me... and our creek got it all! My spring house and the spring overflow pond are in a swale, but it's built up around the edges between the pond and creek. Nonetheless, the water was FIVE feet high in the spring house/overflow, and it came up 10-15 feet into the front yard as well. NOT 10-15 feet DEEP, just that far over the bank into the yard.

Had to rescue The Kid's pooch as his area was under at least 2 feet of water and rising fast. Poor thing just had a tiny island left to stand on when I saw him... The Kid was at work and I never tend to her dog, but he was barking non-stop. I guess he'd have drowned if I hadn't been home. Sigh.

Water level went down overnight, and the creek is still running fast but clearing...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

So glad you were at home to rescue The Kid's pooch, Darius! Poor little guy.

Started out hot and mostly sunny, now it's almost dark, with rain either here or at least in the area and thundering. Oh and the temps are in the 70s now.

It's darker than this outside now.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad everything is OK now Darius.
I know that water rises fast there but MAN!

Hot but not too humid today.
We hit at least 90°.
I was outside working most of the day and it wasn't too bad.
Mainly using the forklift and dumping scrap metal in the trailer for recycling.
The AC did feel pretty good when I went back in at 2 PM though! LOL!

Ric

Sun, amazing butterflies! You have so many in your garden!
Mau, Turk's cap is a Malvaviscus, related to Abutilon and hibiscus. I took this from my article about hibiscus.
"Malvaviscus is a flowering plant related to Hibiscus, also in the Malvaceae family. It is also called turk's-cap mallow, sleeping hibiscus and marzapan. It differs from the Hibiscus genera because the fruit is divided into five parts."
You should try to use a tripod, or just put the camera on something so your hand won't tremble when you are shooting the moon. And you need to choose the crepuscle option, then choose -2 exposure .
Sally, lovely blooms of those phlox! What is a calm toy?
Kelli, great view! Must have been great to breathe fresh air!
Chrissy, get well soon!
Celia, cool pic, but so yucky!
It so cold here at night, only 53F, while during the day it goes up to 84F. It has surely cooled off!
New picture from the garden.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°F Feels Like: 70°
Details: Some areas nearby are reporting fog.
Past 24-hr:Precip: 0.46 in (est.)
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 69°
Pressure: 29.79 in
Visibility: 6.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 1 min
Through 12 pm: Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds light and variable.
Mostly cloudy skies early, then partly cloudy this afternoon. Humid. High 87F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunfarm, thanks! That was a year after I planted it. It's a lot fuller now, as is the phlox. I also have False Dragonhead on the sides, but it creeps too fast, so I need to just take it out. It does bloom after the rest are done tho. The Red Spotted Purples are my favorite butterfly now. I've only seen them two years now around here. My neighbor and I have really been trying to plant butterfly plants and I think we're slowly bringing them back. Two of her neighbors have really added to their beds also.

Chrissy, papt, pat, pat. Sounds like we will be getting sick, one by one. A 50's feel, I like that :o) Thanks!

Celia, that is the most amazing picture I have ever seen!! I was going to tell you to put your vulture away and quit scaring everyone, LOL!!

Marsue, thanks! Believe it or not, Ironweed likes it wet.

Chrissy, if your husband kept looking at you and snickering at breakfast, you were snoring :o)

Celia, ROTFL!!

Kelli, I think I put sunscreen on twice this year. Now I ''forget.''

Darius, WOW! Now that is a rain and flooding. I'm glad the spring house was safe. Thank goodness you saved the dog! I can't imagine his panic. Is that the most flooding you've had since you moved there?

Pepper, glad it cooled down :o)

Ric, you're keeping busy at work!

Adina, a calm toy is a tractor or blocks, etc. Anything that doesn't have to constantly make noise and move in case it loses the kids attention. They wonder why some kids can't sit still at school. Watch their programing. It never sits still or is quiet. They think that is normal. Your garden looks nice! It never looks hot or like the bugs have eaten anything, LOL!

It's Fall Festival in Lone Tree today. We're going over for the parade, ping pong drop and whatever else. It's a larger town than we are, and nice. Their streets are still tree lined. I think one street in Nichols still has some shade on a hot day :o(

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

billyporter: (I know your name, just can't remember it... crs) Yes, that's the most flood water we've had since I moved here 4 years ago... but also the fastest rise. Down the road just 800 feet the creek was within 3 inches of the roadway and would have flooded it if it had rained 30 minutes more. A couple of years before I got here, the roadway was flooded for 3 days, blocking all entry/exit.

It was raining so hard that I couldn't get any pictures; when it stopped, it was too dark.

There's a similar band coming our way across KY/TN and lower OH again, and the ground is well saturated already.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius she's BP to us..... though not quite as messy as the one in the news....lol!

An easy way to get 'moon shots' is long lens. tripod and Action setting.
This sets the shutter to the right exposure.

Light rain here!

Ric

Got kinda hot today but the humidity wasn't so high. I figure mid 90s for a high.

Had a big ole storm roll thru last night. It hit us around 7 pm or so and lasted til sometime in the morning hours. Got quite a bit of rain out of it and the roads are slightly messed up again but not too bad. We enjoyed the weather before it came thru though. It was so nice and COOL!! LOL!!!

One of the views into the pasture next to my house. There are alot of wild trees and other plants growing in this little spot. Can't see very far into it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.