Hot Dog, it's hot!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad I wasn't part of the rescue squad/ambulance crew or me on duty, had to be a very long day.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Another decent day here. High of 80, sunny with a light breeze. Spent a bit of time weeding another bed today. Luckily there are so many flowers in there that the weeds weren't too bad. Just a tub full.

Sunset last week.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As of an hour ago.
The crash remains under investigation and Brennan continues to recover in serious, but stable condition at Miami Valley Hospital.
The original 'crimes' he was sited for are, in Ohio, misdemeanors.
You just get a court ticket.

Cool again today but THAT will change.....lol!
Still no rain in sight.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kelli!!!!!!

Hope you're having a WONDERFUL Day!!!

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Ric. It was too hot for hiking but there are a lot of baseball games on t.v. today.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Kelli! Happy Birthday, a day late!

I have 37 quarts of grape juice canned and you don't want to know how many weeds I've pulled. Each weed moves a mosquito and those who land on me DIE!

It's been cold the last two mornings with a beautiful day following, and I'm making the most of it!

Waving to all! Another busy day ahead!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Belated best wishes to you Kelli from here as well.
Another pleasant day forecast for today, but the longer range forecast shows we will be back into the 90s early next week. Ugh!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELLI! sorry it's a day late--hope you had a good day!

It's a beautiful day in our neighborhood and I am taking advantage of the cooler weather and lower humidity while it lasts. I'm going outside in a few minutes and get some work done in the flower beds. I need to trim up several shrubs, pull some weeds, do some general clean-up, etc., etc.
You all have a good day!

# Today: Abundant sunshine. High 88F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 59F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you had a great day yesterday!!!!

Look at those temps Mau posted!! At 8:00 this morning when I was driving to work my car told me that it was 65* instead of 85*! It feels soooooo wonderful! Arkansas is 8" below normal on rainfall so far this year. I don't know what that is in percentage, but last year at this time we were 150% above normal.

Ah Ric, that's why he didn't stay in jail.

There was a fatal accident yesterday morning on I-430, last I heard they were trying to figure out who was at fault, there were 4 cars involved, plus a White SUV or van. Apparently the driver of that vehicle is said to have started it and fled the scene, but they have since found her and she is in questioning. The link is from yesterday.

http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext?nxd_id=343975

Warmer but still tolerable. Air conditioning still turned off for the time being.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

55° at 6AM

Extended Forecast
DAY Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu

SKY
HI TEMP (F) 90 93 94 92 93 93
LO TEMP (F) 52 57 63 63 61 63

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Even though we are supposed to be back in the low 90s by Sunday and early next week, the dewpoints are forecast to stay in the upper 50s and low 60s, so it should be more tolerable than previous weeks with those temperatures. No AC needed here either; a pleasant 54 degrees now.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Woohoo--it was 59 F on my back porch this morning at 6 a.m. We haven't been that cool in a long time! Feels great. However, we are still going to be in the 90's today but the lower humidity makes it feel not nearly as warm. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!
Yesterday I got all 7 of my lorapetalums cut back--they were getting way too big. I now have a huge pile of limbs stacked up for the trash people. I managed to give myself two blood blisters--one on each hand--from getting my skin caught in the handle of the nippers. Ouch! (Sympathy, please! LOL)

# Today: Sunny. High around 90F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 63F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

I managed to get this photo of a butterfly on the hummingbird feeder the other day before a hummer chased him off.
edited to add: the nectar in the feeder is that yellow color because I use organic unbleached sugar in it

This message was edited Aug 27, 2010 6:45 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

Good Morning!

It IS a lot cooler down here, and it feels wonderful. The traffic was insane driving into work this morning so I never did look at what my car was saying the temp was, but it felt good.

Great pictures Pep and Mau!

(Zone 7a)

(((((((hug))))))) OUCH, Mau!!! I clipped the skin between my fingers with scissors once. OUCH!!!!!

77.4 °F with 86º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 53 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.84 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Pollen: 8.50 out of 12
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

~ ~ ~ to all! Busy again!

Warming up again. A bit warmer than I liked today.

Coneflowers and black walnut tree at dusk.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

59°F Feels Like: 59°
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 58°
Pressure: 30.07 in
Visibility: 5.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 26 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 60s. Winds light and variable
Plentiful sunshine. High 84F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.

Pepper, your dusk picture turned out pretty neat!

Another chilly morning and the last nice day before it warms back to the high 80's. I tore out the tomatoes that are done and weeded the garden. I lost one head of cabbage. It rotted, so I pulled all the bottom leaves from the rest. So far they haven't split, so I'm holding off on picking them till it's cooler, to make sauerkraut.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Temps about the same as BP's.
We'll be in the 90's all week for a high.
Lows in the lower 60's. NICE!
The Bedroom AC is now officially in Fan only mode.

Celia what a great series of Hummers you got!

Off to get some Black Swallowtail Cat shots.
This generation is about to Pupate.

Ric

Wow Celia, that's a great pic of that hummer! They're flying all around my feeder this morning but I have misplaced my camera! I know it's here in the house somewhere...hhhmmm.....

The black swallowtails don't pupate until this time of year? Wonder if I have any cats.

What I do have are an infestation of these orangish yellow black spotted beetles that are a little smaller than a lady bug all over my brugs suddenly! There are also 3 Wheel Bugs on them too. Dave pulled weeds in the garden yesterday so it probably stirred up a nest. When I find my camera I'll take a pic.

That's a neat pic Pep, I love your lights!

Our heat index is coming back, not as fierce as it was but it's still going to be hot. I'm wondering if we're going to get a fall, but of course it's too early in the season for that, have to wait until just before Halloween to find that out.

Right now it's 78* with a heat index of 89*.
Today's high is forecast to be 94* with a heat index of 97*
Tonight's low is 66* with a heat index of 71*.
And we can't seem to buy any rain, nobody wants to sell us any.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Up here the BS's raise 3 or so generations.
We already have at least one done and two more on the Fennel.
Cats are fairly easy to spot on Fennel.
Look for munched flowers then look carefully in that area.

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, are you better now? Was it just a bug going around? That IS a fantastic hummer picture.

Marsue, love the Admiral taking command of the sugar boat :o)

Ric, we are in the same temps this week. I agree on the ''perfect sleeping'' night temps!! I look forward to some cat pictures!

Chrissy is it around your neck? LOL, as in, glasses on your head. Yeah, it's a groaner, but was my first thought. I fear we will have an early fall here. The grapes were ready a good week ahead of schedule. School time as someone pointed out earlier.

It my 34th Wedding Anniversary today! It's also my former neighbors 60th. We are going to their open house this afternoon. I really miss my ''over the fence'' talks with her.

18 quart dishpan of Concord grapes

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Grape Juice. For the first time, I forgot to tighten down the lids on one batch. I lost a good inch of juice! Tsk tsk!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Today was our 25th anniversary celebration of attending the Farmers Market.
See it here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125782/

Mid 80s and I felt every degree when running carts today. The sun is hot on the asphalt!! LOL

My grandma's apple tree. We have whacked it back so many times and it comes back better than ever. Usually you can't tell we even did anything before the season is over. We always whack the top back real good and this year my dad thinned out the interior a bit.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

When I was 'trained' to prune apple trees my Greatuncle said that if you take off your hat and throw it into the tree if should come back down.
If it gets ...... stuck prune more out.
That's pretty much how I've always done it and we always got good heavy crops.
And no broken or propped up limbs.
LOVELY old tree Pepper! And what a legacy!
Have you started any more trees from it?

BP Congratulations!
Robyn and I have been together 32 years.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

LOL That's great!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

69°F Feels Like: 69°
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 62°
Pressure: 30.03 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 3 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures rising towards the mid 80s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Mostly sunny. Warm. High 89F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Dyson Dark and absolutely quiet with a few bugs singing. Perfection :o)

Bernie, Congratulations! Great tribute to yourselves and the entire Market!

Pepper, what a wonderful wonderful tree! We prune ours pretty good to let in a lot of light.

Ric, LOL, that's how our trees end up. The first year I discovered I was cutting spur branches. Next year I had a pruning book :o) Congrats to you and Robyn! Love the second cat picture :o) How do you tell if it's a he or a she? Hmmmm.

We had a great time at our neighbor's Anniversary. Her BIL worked with her husband, in putting up grain bins, so it was real nice to see him too. I am kicking myself for not taking the camera because I saw many nice barns!

Eggplant bloom

Thumbnail by billyporter

Happy Anniversary BP!!!!

Happy Farmer's Market Anniversary Bernie!!!

Me and Dave have been married 4 1/2 years.

Pep that's a nice old apple tree you have there. What kind of apples are they?
My grandparents had a Golden Delicious apple tree, and my grandfather was the boss for the City's tree crew, so he could prune anything. He always topped it in the winter, sprayed it so it wouldn't get bugs like cottlingmoth, it produced some really good apples for about 15 years, then my grandfather became unable to take care of it so we had a huge cottlingmoth problem and it didn't get pruned, it also had these huge cancers on it. After my grandparents passed on and I moved into the house, Dave eventually came along and started taking care of it again, but by then the tree was between 25 and 30 years old. I don't remember if he took it out before we moved or if we just left it there for the new owners to take care of.

Have to have a designated cat plant for those. I think I'm going to try that next year for the horned worms, maybe, but they are nasty things so maybe not.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the birthday greetings!

It has cooled down quite a bit. It won't stay like this, but it isn't supposed to get above 100F in the foreseeable future.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on August 29, 2010
63 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 52 °F
Wind: Calm

I've got hiking pictures and story from yesterday here. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/33186/ It's a little different story from the usual, and not just because I don't mention fire.

My grandma has started a few more trees from seed from the tree. We have no idea what kind it is. The coloring is light red and green but they have a mild taste. My dad thinks they might be Red Delicious but it's hard to tell especially with the tree as old as it is. So my name for them is old apples. LOL

Today we are in the high 80s and sunny. Not much of a breeze so I'm hiding today. lol. I want the fall temps now.

View at the back of my grandma's property. Very peaceful place.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Off to bed.

Here's one from today.

Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor)

Ric

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 6:11 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

73°F Feels Like: 73°
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 68°
Pressure: 30.10 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 57 min
Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 70s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. High 84F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Thanks Chrissy! You have a lifetime ahead of you with Dave. That's a neat apple tree story. I consider apple trees ''friends.''

Ah Kelli, if you could just believe it won't get above 100° :o)

Pepper, cool that Grandma started trees from seed, and she does have a peaceful place. Love the old fence. Too many fences are gone these days.

Ric, Spicebush Swallowtail is gorgeous!! My neighbor has a Spicebush, but I haven't seen any butterfly like that around here.

Even tho it's perfectly cool, it was warm sleeping. I woke up off and on, throwing covers off and on.

The smaller the flower, the bigger the bee :o)

Lavender Hyssop and they love it! The rubbed leaves smell like anise.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Whoops wrong name on the Butterfly it's a Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor).

74° here this morning.

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Got it!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelli: I'll check out your link when I finish here.

I was busy all week-end with my son and his family so I am behind.
I'll just say good photos, everyone!
Ric, love the BF!
Pepper, love the lights in your photo!
BP: lots of grape juice there! Happy Anniversary to you and your DH!
Bernie, congrats on the 25 years at the market.

Woohoo! we had some rain during the night last night! It is overcast and cooler this morning. but humid. I have already done some weeding--so much easier to pull weeds when the ground is soft.
# Today: Cloudy early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Yesterday, my son, grandson, Friday and I went to the "big dam bridge". (My son's wife and her kids had gone to visit her mother.) That's the real name of it and it is a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists that goes over the Arkansas River between Little Rock and North Little Rock. Construction began in 2004 and I believe it opened in 2006. The bridge was built over the Murray Lock and Dam--thus the name "big dam bridge". Here is a link to my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/BigDamBridge?authkey=Gv1sRgCPi7vb2hwqCNhQE#

I found this bumblebee on the hummingbird feeder this week-end. I had to take something and push him out of it--he appeared to have gotten his head stuck in the opening. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

We had a storm blow through starting at 6:15am or so today. Lots of lightning and thunder overhead. It rained very hard for about 20 minutes while the leading edge was over us.

49.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 50 °F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 3200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Hot and sunny. Hotter than I like. LOL

Here's a closer view of the same view. The fences are barbed wire and very common. The fence posts are usually Osage Hedge which is everywhere around here. If you look at old fence rows you will see trees growing there. That is Osage Hedge growing from the fence posts. It's a neat thing to see.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

82° (Heat Index 85°) at 8:11 which is Sundown.
We're down to 13:07 hours of daylight.
Mid 90's thru Thursday. But unlike last night's mid 70's we should be near 60 for a low.

Celia we had clouds like that but NO rain scheduled till at least Friday.
The Humidity is so low we aren't even getting pop up T-Storms.

Pep that is a Peaceful view!

This has been a banner year for Butterflies.
I picked a good time to specialize....lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.