Hot Dog, it's hot!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm stealing all your rain chances for the week. We have a chance tomorrow night, Weds and Thurs. LOL. My plants will be so happy!! Butterflies too. My swallowtails keep hanging around. Not sure what I have that they are loving this year but it is neat.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

74°F Feels Like: 74°
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 70°
Pressure: 30.01 in
Visibility: 8.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 22 min
Through 11am: Widespread showers and thunderstorms developing by late morning. Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 70s. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Today: Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Warm and humid. High 87F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Marsue, thanks! Our ground is hard already from no rain, but I'm pulling weeds anyway :o) I'm glad you finally got a good wetting! Smiling, did you get the bee out? Hmmm, computer isn't loading big pages today. I'll have to look at your pictures later.

Celia, nice green yard!

Pepper, we have barbed wire around here too. The really old is coveted by antique dealers. Is the fence the property line?

Ric, I wish our humidity was low, but we could actually use the rain. I've enjoyed the butterflies we had this year.

Ah Pepper, you didn't grab quick enough! Chance for us today :o)

We get the boys for the day today and the mosquitos are too bad to go out. Looks like a day of playing Candyland and fort with the dishwasher box we kept.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

.6" rain this morning.
Sunshine now.
Cold front due tonight to take temps down into 70's for rest of the week.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: kids love to play in big boxes---and it is certainly a lot cheaper than those over-rated expensive toys that the toy manufacturers are pushing. Yes, I got the bumblebee out of the feeder. :o))

I did some weeding last evening for about 1 1/2 hours. Felt good to be able to get outside without sweat pouring off of you the minute you step out the door. I did get sweaty but nearly like I would have a couple of weeks ago.

We are supposed to get some more cool weather this week-end but the rest of this week we will be back in the 90's and humid.
Overcast this morning but rain chances are slim. # Today: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Humid. High 92F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

check out this tree

Thumbnail by marsue
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Same old same old here, with temps near 90 and no rain expected until Friday morning. Rain total for this month was only about 3", and practically none of that in the past few weeks. The vegetation remains remarkably green, though. At least the holiday weekend forecast looks great.

Bernie, congrats on your farmers' market anniversary. I hope your egg customers realize how lucky they are to have you. I heard a shocking statistic on the news (in connection with the recall) about how just a few hundred factory farms produce 80% of this country's eggs. We are fortunate to have a supplier just a couple of miles from here.

noonamah, Australia

Finally back home after my trip down into the desert country, so am currently in the process of sorting photos. It was a great trip but boy was it cold. Because of the unusual rains the wildflowers were out in abundance. They've had 3 times their average yearly rainfall so far this year and the night before I left there were more downpours. In fact there was flood water over the road in a few places on the way out, though not too deep. And a few hundred kilometres further on it was clear sunny skies and hot, which continued the rest of the way home.

Today is our last day of winter here, and August has been colder (at night) than July. It's usually the other way around. The coldest overnight temperature for August was 12.6C (54.7F), the hottest day temperature was 37.7C (99.9F). (Coldest night in July went down to 15.9C, 60.6F)

No rain for the month of August, which is normal. UV Index is getting up to 11 now. 30 days of August were 32C or over (90F and over). The mean temperature for the month was 25.4C (77.7F). July the mean temperature was 26.2C (79.2F).

Blooming well in the desert - Sturt's Desert Pea, Swainsona formosa.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
(Zone 7a)

Hey, Tropic! Good to see you again! That's a beautiful flower. And the weather is getting weird all over the planet.

Bernie, I agree with SF that you're customers are lucky folks.

We haven't seen any butterflies this year. I think you other folks have got them all! Waaa!!!

We only made it to 65º yesterday. Today will be warmer at 72º. After that, the front will be gone and we'll have our normal temps of 90s.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Whew! Finally got a break to make it on!

Celia I don't have near as many butterflies as I usually do. Monty is luvin that grass!

I went out to the mailbox this morning and walked right into a big thick web! Blach! I didn't find a guest hitching a ride so that was good.

That is a nice flower Tropic! Glad to see you back!

We're hotter today, way more humid than we have been the past couple of days:
Right now at 1pm it's 82 with heat index of 92, and cloudy.
Today's high is projected at 92 with a heat index of 97.
Tonight's low is 75 with a heat index of 77.
20% chance of thundershowers.

Hotter than hades today!!! We reached 100 at one point before going back down to high 90s. We are still in the mid 90s with small but strong storms scattered around. The cool front is supposed to hit and we will be cool for the rest of the week.

BP, the fence is the property line. 5 acres total. It used to be farmed when my dad was growing up so there used to be more fences but we took them down over the year and left the ones up on the property lines. Makes for easier mowing.

Blue Morpho cocoons with some hatched ones waiting to be released.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

welcome back, Tropic! What a neat flower--the bloom looks similar to that of a monarda(bee balm).

Celia: Monty is playing hide-and-seek! LOL

Pepper: great photo of the cocoons, etc.

I got about two hours of weeding done this morning--it felt good to be able to get outside and work in the flower beds again. The temp wasn't that bad but it was humid.

Sweet potato vine blossoms

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°F Feels Like: 70°
Past 24-hr:Precip: 1.18 in (est.) We have 1.5''
Breakdown:Humidity:92%
Dew Point:67°
Pressure:29.94 in
Visibility:9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 1 min Sunrise: 6:31 am Sunset: 7:39 pm
Through 11am: Cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 70s. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Showers and a possible thunderstorm during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Humid. High 81F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

I woke up at midnight to bright flashes of lightning and a good hard rain. We have 1.5'' in the guage and I hate to say we needed it. No wonder the mosquitos have been crazy the last few days. They knew it was coming. I hate to see them be the accurate weather forcasters :o(

Bernie, cool days for all!

Marsue, I know how you feel about getting out. It felt good to weed and I was making way for the rain to hit the ground! I love that tree!

Sunfarm, that's what I was thinking the other day. The yard is all weeds and Nimble Will grass, but it's green and mows nice. It's time they start looking into the treatment of the hens and their surroundings.... again.

Tropic, It sounds like you had a very nice trip! I was wondering where you were the other day! Our weather has changed so much too, and March is usually warmer than April. I don't think there's a going to be a normal or average anymore. Beautiful flower! It reminds me of spider eyes :o)

Aww Celia, plant more and they will come. That's what it took for me to finally have them! Cats under and behind greenery make me smile!

Chrissy, when I say I hate Fall, that is the reason why! I cant walk anywhere without getting in all the webbing!

Wow Pepper, that's hot! (Dang that Paris Hilton. I can't say that without thinking of her!) The butterfly hatch is so neat!

Marsue, gorgeous blooms! I'd call them "Black Holes"

Now that it's rained and the ground has softened, maybe I can move a few small plants around. And, maybe the mosquitos will be crazier and I'll stay in :o)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Turned off the AC & opened the windows!
Nice sunny, cool day.

(Zone 7a)

I had lots of BFs last year but nothing this year. Lots of hummers, though. Gotta run!!!

51.4 °F with 78º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: we can commiserate together for the lack of BF'S. Pretty MG!
BP: more like "deep purple" holes! :o)) I hate mosquitoes!!!
Bernie, it will probably be October before I get to open my windows! LOL

Hot and humid today and tomorrow. Cooler this week-end if you call the upper 80's "cooler". LOL

The crepe myrtles seem to like the heat and the pink phlox, too. I'm going to have turn this flower bed into a shade bed when these crepe myrtles get bigger!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
noonamah, Australia

Thanks everyone. Like all holidays it went all to quickly. But it was great fun and I came out of it with 1469 photos.

Pepper234, I like the butterfly production line. Do you have wasps there that try to parasitize the pupae?

Marsue, I have a very similar Sweet Potato, with the purple leaves.

Billyporter, I put out cotainers of water for the mosquitos and after a week or so empty them out into my fish ponds. The mosquitos will always find a place to lay eggs, so might as well make it easier for them. It has reduced the amount of them around here, although not completely eliminated them.

Well, first day of spring but temperatures dropped from the late winter figures. Looks like the season switch was flicked the wrong way here. The last week of winter the maximum got up to 37.7C (99.9F) with the minimums up to 23.2C (73.8F). First day of spring it only got to a maximum of 34.9C (94.8F) from a minimum of 19.7C (67.5F). Although, heat index did get to 40.1C (104.2F) today. UV index is still getting up to 11.

Mean temperature for August was 25.5C (77.9F). Mean for July was 26.2C (79.2F). (And July's supposed to be our coldest month.) But this year's "Coldest Month Award" goes to June, with a mean of 23.7C (74.2F).

Now the race is on for the hottest "build-up" month. November is of course odds on favourite.

Inhabitant of the arid zones - Spinifex Pigeon, Geophaps plumifera. They don't appear to be very fearful of people but being always on the move they're hard to photograph.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Pep that is an awesome pic! Where are all of those cocoons at?

I don't think there's a way to eliminate mosquitoes. Great way to feed the fishies!

LOL I should have known that web was there, there was a bunch of leaves on the ground with only one spinning around when the wind blew, that should have been my first clue. Oh well, I'm just glad it's warming up! And there's a strong cold front coming, it's on the west side of the state one county over from my house, but the weather liars are saying that it's not going to rain until tomorrow evening, how is that possible when the rain is one county away from my house?

The cocoons were at Powell Gardens for the Butterfly Festival. They were inside the conservatory and there were no wasps or anything in there with them. Just 100% humidity. lol.

Today was cool but a bit humid and wet. Rained all morning then quit by afternoon. The cool front should move in sometime tonight along with more rain. Our highest temps til next week should only be in the low 80s with lows in the high 50s.

Butterfly Lady at the Butterfly Festival. My nephew got a kick outta her. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Tropic: neat looking pigeon. I like the "topknot". :o))
Crissy: did you get any rain last night? We didn't. :o((
Pepper: I got a kick out of the "butterfly lady", too. LOL

It was overcast last evening--still overcast this morning but still no rain. Chances have gone up, though.

# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Hot. High 94F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms, especially late. Low near 70F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Turk's Cap

Thumbnail by marsue

Mau we didn't get a single drop, but there's a bunch of yellow on radar that is almost at my house right now!!! I'm doing a happy dance, the line of storms formed over Hot Springs and keeps on building.

Pep that is neat, glad you went and thanks for sharing the pics!

My forecast is the same as Mau's.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hurricane Earl now reaching the outer banks of NC. No sign of it here (yet).

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Stay safe, Dyson--and Joey, too!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I hope everyone stays safe!!!!!

Man the 'Shelling' is going to be INCREDIBLE in NC in the next few weeks!!!!

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The weather folk said this morning that Earl had moved further to the east so hopefully its effects will not be as bad as if "he" had stayed closer to the coast. Things will still be rough but not as rough as originally expected--according to the "experts". Anyway, all you in the path of the hurricane please stay safe!

Our cool front has arrived! Hooray!

# Today: Scattered thunderstorms this morning, then partly cloudy during the afternoon hours. High around 85F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 55F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Earl moved east and blocked all the wet flow to here.
We got way cooler temps but zero rain.
Bad Earl! LOL!

Ric

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

The front passed through here yesterday afternoon with just a couple of brief showers. The temperature relief is most welcome; highs in the 70s for the next couple of days.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This morning at 7 a.m. when I went outside the thermometer on my back porch was reading 54F! Woohoo! It will be a great day for working in the flower beds and I am going to take advantage of it. The humidity is low, too! :o))

The flowers have perked up too with the somewhat cooler weather this week. Here's a link to some photos I have taken the last few days:

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/EarlySept2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCKD8w4Sk9aWgtQE#

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

54° here too!
Looks like we're off to do some watering......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.