July weather- Gonna be a hot one!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another beautiful day! Typical summer day here.
80º Sunny & some humidity.
Potatoes & onions are out of the ground.
A little lunch break & I will be washing potatoes.

Tomorrow the manager of the market has set up cooking demo's.
Business is really booming there now!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pep has your After 8 already bloomed?

(Zone 7a)

100º for today. I'm going to curl up with a good book and relax today.

I talked to Crystal yesterday and she had some news about Aurora. They have her on a sleep apnea monitor. She has stopped breathing a few times at night. Scared Crystal half to death!!! I know babies do that but it is frightening when it's so close to you.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Potato pics
Ready for washing.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Somebody caught me working.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Going through the washer.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorted & ready for the cooler.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Celia, Hope Aurora will be OK. The monitor sounds like it should bring peace of mind for everyone.
Bernie, You have quite an operation; wish you were close to us. We have a CSA subscription for the second year in a row, but the dingbat insists on bringing things I tell him I don't want. I thought we had that problem solved but apparently not.
BP, I think squash is one of those things that is an acquired taste; my kids still don't like it, and they are all in their 40s now. At least they don't eat with us often.
Another hot one-- upper 80s with scattered showers, but none near us for now.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, hope you get rain!

Chrissy, LOL! I don't know my brugs from an okra and I don't think I'd eat one!! Nice picture!

Bernie, cooking demos, the smell will sell even more veggies! Nice washing set-up! Wow, very very nice potatoes!! You really have a great place to work.

Oh Celia, that is very scarey! I'm so glad she found out before anything serious happened. Will she outgrow it in a few months?

Sunfarm, what is a person to do? I guess you cook and serve what he brings :o)

It's 84° and suny. I'm mentally mowing the back yard, so I guess I need to get a cold glass of water and git 'er done!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: when I was a little girl, there was a fig tree in our yard which always had a bunch of figs on it. Unfortunately, they attracted wasps so my daddy cut it down. That didn't bother me one bit as I have never cared for figs--I still won't even eat a fig newton. :o~
Celia: so sorry to hear about Aurora's sleep apnea. I'm glad they have a monitor for her now. That should take some of the worry off Crystal but it is always a concern to think that your baby isn't breathing properly.
Bernie: nice potatoes!!! They are certainly a lot cleaner than any of the potatoes that are available in our grocery stores down here.
Crissy: what do you do with your brugs in the winter? You don't have a greenhouse, do you?
BP; you are a wimp!! (joke) 84F would be great mowing weather for me! ROFLOL
Sunfarm: I never liked squash until I was into my 30's. Now I like all kinds of squash. My kids (ages 38 and 46) still won't eat sliced fresh tomatoes although they both like dishes with tomatoes in them and they both really like salsa. Go figure!!

Hot, hot, hot. I'm not even going to go and look at the thermometer on my back porch. Walking outside is like stepping into an oven!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got rain & thunder & lightning & lost power for 2 hours - the lightning hit real close. Now I have Luke-warm beer.

(Zone 7a)

BP, yes, she should outgrow it soon. Or, to better explain...

She may have what's called central apnea, obstructive apnea or a combination of both. If it's obstructive apnea, they'll find what's causing an blockage and remove/fix it. If it is central sleep apnea, the brain isn't sending a signal properly to the lungs to make her breathe. Babies will sometimes have breathing pauses for up to 15 seconds. That would be normal. CSA makes them stop for 20 seconds or longer. So...when she gets older, she should develop the brain function further and she'll be fine.

It's 96º outside.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I sure hope Aurora will be o.k.

Fig trees can be weeds around here. Birds (and maybe squirrels or rats) spread the seeds. DH is always cutting them down. He's allergic to the sap but he takes no precautions to protect himself, either. I've never had the fruits because I can't tell when they are ripe. They don't turn brown or anything. They'll just be on the tree and then they're gone.

Almost as hot as yesterday

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 16, 2010
99 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 58 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the SSE

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi guys! How I missed you all ! Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement ! I am finally catching up with my threads and I'm feeling up to it!LOL I was so exausted after I came back from my DD's, but now I'm starting to feel better, even the back ache is almost gone. I guess with all the excitement I forgot I was an old grandma !LOL
It was so nice to catch up and look at your beautiful pictures!
Celia, I'm sure it was just a scare and Aurora is a healthy baby, nothing to worry about! I imagine how Crystal got scared because Andreea got scared too when Nicholas stopped breathing for a few seconds when he choked while she breastfeeded him...she was hysterical "Mom, he got his lips blue, do something!" She was lucky I was right beside her, like almost always when it was feeding time (and we were watching a movie while she was feeding the baby), so I told her just keep him up and pat him on the back, he will breathe ....huh! I experienced this month such a wonderful way of growing a baby without being panicked, always knowing what to do...awesome feeling!LOL
Mau, great sunset and flowers!
Ric, your garden looks awesome, love the trumpet vine and the trimmed hedge.
Sally, I enjoyed so much your pictures with the boys, so cute! The story of your Tansy made me search for more of the plants on my field and will be the subject for an article...thanks!
Bernie, wow, you have such an industry there! Your know I found some potatoes already grown and ate them a few days ago...talking about volunteers plants from the compost, I have a few potatoe plants !LOL
Crissy, great view of your garden!
Sun, it would be great to have another garden to landscape, but I don't think it will happen because the real estate market is low and we can't sell the house at our price...but we're going to try!
Kelly, I hope the fire stays away from you!
Pepper, wonderful lilies!
Dyson, same here!
We had a several storms and lost the power several times for a couple of hours...ugh! One of the lightnings I saw, went so close to the ground and lit up...grrrr!
No more rain today, we're expecting a heat wave coming towards us. About 93F=33C at noon, no clouds, no wind...it's going to be tough for people going outside! I'm at work with an A/C in the office, so no worries!LOL
New picture of Nicholas...soon , more from my garden. I have to figure out how to use the new camera, the pics are too large and it takes too much time to upload ...or, they are too small, for email attachments...grrr!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

71° with and expected high of 90°. About like yesterday. I mowed with cooling off periods. Then I weeded out the quickweed and grasses. The mosquitos are down to a few so I took advantage of it. I think I wore myself out :o)

Marsue, laughing! I'm pushing that mower! I like fig newtons, but in small doses and then I've had enough.

Dyson, the price we pay for a little water :o)

Celia, I'm glad she'll be OK. It's a good thing Crystal caught it when she did.

Kelli, missed you! I didn't know the sap could be an allergen. Wow, hot and dry.

Adina, I'll can see how all the strength you had while helping, all came crashing down as soon as you got home. Rest is a good thing! You helped Andreea so much and now she can be a confident Mom. I'll have to keep an eye out for your new articles. I don't seem to have enough time here while it's summer. All you can do is put your house on the market and hope for the best. Someone might meet your price. Nicholas takes such handsome pictures! I can't wait for the first smile!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: I am sure it is comforting to know that Aurora will outgrow her sleep apnea. In the meantime, it is good that she has the monitor.
Dyson: Lukewarm beer! --double yuck! LOL I'm glad your electricity wasn't off for more than 2 hours and I know you think that was 2 hours too long!
Kelli: I didn't know that about the sap on the fig trees but then I didn't know that mint could cause a poison-ivy-like rash, either--until I found out the hard way! LOL Needless to say, there is no more mint in my garden!
Adina: Nicholas is such a handsome baby! I hope you are rested up now. Good luck on selling your house. It seems that the housing market is depressed world-wide. :o((
BP: my hat is off to you if you mow your entire yard with a push mower! I mow mine with a riding mower except for a couple of places where I have to use the push mower because I can't get the riding mower into those places.

# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Humid. Heat index near 105F. High 93F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Humid. Low 74F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just for the record and safety's sake, all parts of the Datura and Brugmansia are poisonous!
And a few people have reactions to the sap.
They are hallucinogens. They include the Locoweeds.

Adina glad to see you are getting back in the groove.
The front hedges are the only pruning I do.
I think the formal hedge w/ the wild, jungle look of the rest of the yard makes a good contrast.
Glad you agree....

Bernie that's a nice operation!
Is that a commercial dish washer?
GREAT looking potatoes!

We had a T-Storm roll thru about 6AM.
Looks like about 1/2" of rain.
We've settled into 'Deep South' mode for the next 10 days for sure.
Temps in the low/mid 90's Day. Around 70 Nights.
About 5° above Ave.

The cabinet is just waiting for the top.
Robyn sanded, primed and then painted the interior.
Easier to do on the ground.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, we've got the weather too. I was awakened at 3:19AM with the first round of thunderstorms; the second came through at 4:45AM, and it started back up again at 7:30, though with not as much lightning nearby in time for my 8AM obs. It was 90 yesterday, 70 this morning, with 1.11" of rain in the gauge.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

85°

Looks like the next string of storms is only a county away - here we go again.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Celia my goodness what a scare for Crystal! And you! 'm glad she got the breathing machine and hopefully will grow out of it soon.

In that picture they look like Okra, I didn't think of it until you said it! They won't here in a few days probably. No, I don't have a greenhouse so I cut them down in the fall right before the first frost, like when it's forecasted in the 7 day forecast, and store however many stems I want to grow the following summer in water in the garage. I'm going to take Charlotte's advice and just store as many as I want to grow instead of the whole bush.

We had a thunderstorm last night at about midnight and we're having one right now! Woo Hoo Rain!

I hope everyone up north is safe from the severe weather heading your way again, we get ours in spring and fall and I completely feel your pain!

Look at all those taters!!! I want to grow some more red taters, our crop seemed a little small.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, everyone for the comforting words. Aurora has stopped breathing for upwards of 30 seconds while sleeping and turned blue, too. They did some tests yesterday and found no obstructions, so, it's central apnea. She will outgrow it. Most do. Crystal feels better and so do I.

88.3 °F with 97º for the high. We made 103º yesterday.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Pollen: 5.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 9:32 AM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Just for the record and safety's sake, all parts of the Datura and Brugmansia are poisonous!
They are hallucinogens.

Back in the days of yore, the local Gabrielino Indians (and probably others) made some kind of datura drink to induce hallucinations that they thought were of a spiritual nature. They knew how to make it and use it, but I'm sure there were fatalities from time to time. If hallucinations are anything like normal dreams, I'll pass. My dreams tend to be unsettling.

That's scary about the babies not breathing. I would never have known, and if I was the mother, I would have been as scared as the rest.

You're going to laugh, but man, is it humid out there. I did some work out there for a while, hoping that maybe it can sweat the sinus infection out of me. (Humidity at our house is 44%.) It will get hotter than this today.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on July 17, 2010
92 °F
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 57 °F
Wind: Calm

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's a vegetable washer. Originally they were made for apples. You can run ripe tomatoes through it without damaging them.

These are our Gladiolus for sale this morning.

Extremely hot this morning with no wind. We suffered the whole market. Good sales though.
90º here now.
Tornadoes at the moment 100 miles north of here.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Forgot the picture.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid. Heat index reached 108 today. Not much of a breeze so it's like a sauna out there. Last night we had a storm roll thru and flood our yard and road again. Never seen my road or yard flood so much in one year before. Used to be it never happened.

Ric, After Eight is done blooming and I found out yesterday it's normal for a lily to lose their leaves afterwards. I was at PG talking to one of my former coworkers and asked her about it.

Kwanso blooming. I have this everywhere. I would like it more if it would always open like this bloom and bloom for more than a few hours or a day.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's what I was hoping Pep.
Our lilies are dying back now too.

I'll post a pic of the DL we gave Jon from the RU a few seasons back.
I think it's a Kwanso too.

Bernie those Glads are AMAZING!
Nice!!!!

(Zone 7a)

We had a busy Saturday. We had to get our house cleaned which hasn't been done in 2 weeks. Ick. Then, I went to my grandnephew Max's blessing. We got the lawns mowed, weeds cleared, photos taken.

I read all the posts here and "the other place". Whew! It's still 89º out there.

I went through some pictures and found this one of my mom. I think she was 18, which would have made the picture taken in 1942.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Someone mentioned daylilies? Mine are just starting. What color will they be? I don't know. We'll all have to be surprised.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Chianti sunflower.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Zencat's still got it!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Mmm...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

77°, barely cool and a good long deep rumble of thunder from lightning I saw streak across the sky. No rain yet, and we won't get hit with the heavy stuff. It's going south-east. The map is just covered with lightning blocks down there. 15 minutes later, a light sprinkle. I just went out and put the potted plants in the garage that don't like it wet. 40 minutes later, still a light rain and a breeze in my north window. It won't last much longer.We will still hit close to 90°.

Marsue, I didn't know that about mint! Someone just gave me the regular and chocolate. I potted them up till I know where to safely put them. (Runners.) Yes, I do push, and I have deep ditches. It takes me about an hour and a half. I couldn't ask for a better work-out. But the next mower will have to be self propelled. I'm NOT getting any younger!

Ric, it's always nice to put seldom used things above the fridge :o)

Sunfarm, nice amount of rain. I hope you need it ;o)

Dyson, ditto ;o)

Chrissy, I don't grow okra either, so I was way off on identifying :o) Wow, rain for you too!

Celia, I feel much better too, especally since there is nothing to remove. That's pretty hot.

Kelli, talk about dreams! Just before I woke up this morning I dreamed I walked around to the front yard after being gone, and the yard was entirely stripped of grass, flowers and shrubs. I was so mad and was talking to the guy who was still here. We ''knew'' the ditches were to be worked on, but the grass was still on them. I was so glad to wake up because some blue language was going to happen. Do you think I felt guilty for doing nothing but moving from chair to chair all afternoon taking a me day yesterday? I sure enjoyed the slight breeeze and perfectly quiet town, but it gave me a nightmare :o)

Sorry you're going thru sinus. Don't you just hate the humidity?

Bernie, it is a nice washer to have! Your glads are gorgeous!! I'll bet no-one can resist taking a few home!

Pepper, ditto here on so much rain at a time. I don't think the weather patterns are going to be predictable any more. Kwanso is very pretty!

Celia, I love the sparkle in your Mom's eyes. I see where your sense of fun comes from :o) She's a pretty woman! Yaaay, suprise colors!! Oooh Oooh Oooh on the sunflower! So zen and YUM is right!

Ironically, he's sitting on a dragonfly.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, we needed yesterday morning's rain, but didn't get much more, which was fine. 88 yesterday; that was not so fine. Wish it would cool off.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You and me, both, sunfarm! We are not likely to cool off much, though, until at least the middle of September. :o((

Well, I had a long post all typed up with comments on everybody's post and then, WHOOSH! It was gone--disappeared into cyberspace! GRRRRRRRR.
I'm not going to try to duplicate it but I do want to compliment Bernie on his beautiful glads! and Celia on her beautiful mother! (P.S. Celia--will you be so kind as to save some of those sunflower seeds for me?)
BP; dreams are weird--which is why I make it a point not to remember mine! ROFLOL A real dragonfly on a fake dragonfly--ironic, indeed!

Congrats to all of you who have had some rain--if you needed it, that is.
We are dry again. I haven't been as fortunate as Crissy has in getting rain.
# Today: Mostly sunny. Humid. Heat index near 110F. WHEW!! High 97F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Humid. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had a storm last night but no rain. Some big branches on the ground otherwise nothing. Central MN & Twin Cities area had lots of big hail & high winds. Lots of trees down & cars smashed from hail.
Nice this morning. 68º & light breeze.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

78° (feels warmer)

Details for Sunday, July 18
Mostly sunny early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. High 89F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie what variety of Tomatoes do you grow?

Brought home two new projects from Dayton yesterday... TBA....LOL!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have tons of big tomatoes this year but between worms, animals and I don't know what else we can't eat them. I'm not a happy camper! LOL.

Hot, sunny and humid today. I'm hiding inside today. In the morning I will harvest my taters. They are ready and it will still be cooler out.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

In the picture, smaller ones are Early Girl, my favorite for taste! Larger ones are Geronimo.
Outside we plant Big Beef & Celebrity.

Was at DD all day siding her house. Going back in the morning to finish up.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°and a bit chilly. There are a few rained out clouds in the north, but we could get rain here later. We're also in the shaded area for tornado activity today and tomorrow. We'll have a high of 86°.

At 4:45 am two hoot owls were in the neighbor's tree hooting almost at the same time. I don't know if it was male and female or parent and young. The outdoor cats didn't appear till the hooting stopped.

Bernie, I was watching The Weather Channel videos of the storms this morning and there was a blue house featured. I thought of you. I'm glad it wasn't!! Your tomatoes are beautiful!!

Dyson, has it rained from those occasionals?

Ric, do tell!

Pepper, I picked the one ripe tomato, let it sit on the counter overnight and cut it for yesterday's dinner. It was terrible! I don't know if I'm going to grow anything good this year either. Pretty daylilies! All too soon they are going to be done :o(

Apples. A couple from the tree and the ground. My Dad's are doing the same. Not all are like this, but I'm betting most of the tree is worthless. We didn't spray for anything either. I haven't looked this problem up yet.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.