July weather- Gonna be a hot one!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had a thunder booomer around midnight. Got about an inch of rain. Couldn't have timed it better. Again we won't need to water.

Going out to trim tomatoes this morning.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

69°

Details for Sunday, July 11
Abundant sunshine. High 91F. Winds light and variable.
Evening: Mainly clear. Low 68F. Winds light and variable.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wish I had gotten a thunder boomer during the night. I've turned on the sprinkler this morning because still no rain here or at least not enough to count. My friend 40 miles to the north and another one 35 miles to the SW both have had good rains in the last few days but not here! :o((

I didn't realize I was so far behind over here. too much to comment on everything but I will say to those of you who have posted BF pics: great photos! I think I saw a pearl crescent for the first time yesterday. Naturally I didn't have my camera outside with me and when I went inside to get it and came back out the little critter had disappeared. I wouldn't have known what it was if not for your photo, Sunfarm.

BP: the boys look like they are having a great time playing in the water! Don't you love the remark about "looking for some dry land"? ROFLOL

Adina: Your zinnias appeared to thrive while you were away--and the clover, too! :o)) I know you are missing DD and Nicholas! Will you and Cece be able to find jobs if you do move? I'll check out those links to your photos in a bit. I really enjoyed looking at the other links you posted for us.

Sun is shining brightly. It was cloudy all day yesterday but only produced a few drops of rain--at least at my house. I need to go move the sprinkler.
Y'all have a nice day!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Went out at 7:30 AM. This is what greeted me.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

After 3 hours, I can now find the tomatoes. 8, 5 gallon pails of trimmings went out. Also let each plant down about 18".

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 7a)

Bernie, I have a tomato plant that appears to need trimming. What's the advantage of doing so? It is 'Old German'.

Hot again. 90º. We had some rain a little while ago. Not much but we don't have to water for a couple of days, either.

BP, look!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I only trim the ones inside. It would be a jungle otherwise.

(Zone 7a)

Ah...okay thanks, Bernie.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: the 'maters do look better after their "haircut". LOL
Celia: Isn't it amazing how creatures like spiders, which are definitely not beautiful in my book, can make such beautiful webs? Garden spiders-the big green and black kind-- are the one exception, I think, when it comes to being beautiful.

HOORAY!! It's raining--actually raining! Doing the happy dance here!

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Lots of rain here today. Last storm was a biggie. Rained so hard it got on our picture window which is hard to do since it's under an overhang. And it was hailing and the wind was going in circles it seemed like. So my mom and I headed down to the basement and I peeked out the window. A couple minutes later it died down and I went and got some pictures. Now it's sunny and thundering. LOL

Bottom of neighbor's driveway.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Bottom of front yard.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, Pepper! You got a lot of rain there!--considerably more than I have received.

My neighbor's pecan tree. We don't know if lightning hit it or if winds got it. We had plenty of both.

Thumbnail by pepper23

My neighbor's pecan tree. We don't know if lightning hit it or if winds got it. We had plenty of both. Just heard we got over 2 inches of rain today.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Quite a Storm Pep!
I'd say wind got it.
Usually you can smell a lightning strike a mile away.
That wet ash smell is unmistakable.

They are saying we have a good chance of rain overnight.
Everything currently appears to be tracking along the KY/TN border.

(Zone 7a)

Nice article today, Adina!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

67° and foggy. It's going to be in the low 80's and I need to mow. PM t- storms a possibility. We still have mosquitos so I've had to break down and put the spray on.

Bernie, I love those timely rains and all the thunder and lightning to clean the sky! Now I see what you mean by tying up tomatoes! Wow, they are doing nicely and they look great after the trim!

Dyson, it's warm at your place!

Marsue, sometimes the the rains go around. I got a kick out of the remark and it was all his. No one to prompt him. RAIN for you!! I hope it lasted. Love the blackberry lily.

Celia! The beebalm looks great!! Love the curled up 'pidey :o) Beautiful dainty web.

Pepper, you really got rain!! I think the wind took the tree. When our elm got hit by lightning, bark flew all over.

Adina, I'll try to catch your article. Once again I'm behind on things.

It's to the Doctor today to see what the thyroid is doing. I haven't been on any medicine yet, but the swollen ankles went away on their own. Thank goodness!

Cabbage patch kids, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We've been selling tomatoes for the past 2 weeks. Love it!

About 60º this morning. Feels great!

I have 4 temp workers coming this morning. We are going to clean up weeds along the plastic mulch & also make the last pass thru the onions.

I am on a long excursion today. Found a nice Troy Built tiller I am going to buy & then go pick up chicken feed. Long day of driving, close to 400 miles round trip.

Have a great day!
Bernie

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: it's a good thing that limb fell the way it did otherwise the roof would have most likely been damaged!
Adina: I need to go and read your article--missed it, somehow.
BP: lol at the "cabbage patch kids"! Looks like the bugs like them, too!
Bernie: have a safe trip today!

Hot and humid again today with a possibility of storms. I'll take the rain but the hail and strong winds can stay away!
# Today: Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Heat index near 105F. High 93F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms. A few may be severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Low around 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A storm came thru about 3 hours ago.
It ranged from MI to the TN border.
Dropping rain all the way.
As it reached here it split and went right around us.
Then re-formed east of us and is again dropping rain from Canada to NC! LOL!
Looks like the Cincinnati and Cleveland areas are the only two places in Ohio that didn't get a drop.

We'll be in the mid 80's today and mostly cloudy.

BP love the 'cabbage patch kids'. Hate cabbage! lol!

Here's the front entrance.
The Trumpet Vine is in full glory.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's the cactus in the lower left corner of the previous shot.
They are 5 years old now.
This Opuntia, Eastern Prickly Pear (Opuntia humifusa), is native to Ohio and virtually spineless.
But it makes up for it by being loaded w/ glove piercing glochids.
Think fiberglass between your fingers

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Everything is looking great, Ric! Loving the begonias there but I don't think I would want a plant that "bites the hand that feeds it". (cactus) LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's why we keep tongs around Mau.
The best cactus tools around.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi guys! It's very busy here, I kept picking up seeds from the foxgloves, dianthus and columbines...just finished it...ugh!
I just saw the article today, it's an old one, I wrote it last summer...thanks for reading it!
It's been very hot here, almost 100F, but some clouds appeared tonight, so I hope we get some rain . Otherwise, I'll have to water the garden in the morning before I leave for work....grrr!
We have another opportunity of moving in another house, not far from ours. If we can sell ours and buy that one, it'd be a bargain! It's a bit smaller than our house, but also cheaper , so we hope to get enough money on ours to pay the mortgage. If we can find a buyer, we could move in until fall. Still, moving to our DD's place it's our goal. Just saw Nicholas on webcam last night. He got bigger! Andreea just bought him this new carrier so she can carry him everywhere around the apartment with her.
Adina

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 3:41 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nicholas is really growing, Adina! I know you miss getting to see him everyday. Good luck with selling your house if that is what you want to do.
It's really hot there, isn't it. I hope you get that rain you need!

I managed to get a few pics when I was outside earlier.
I think this is an Eastern Black Swallowtail--feeding on a milkweed.

Thumbnail by marsue

Not too bad heat wise today but VERY humid. Storms south of us and tornadoe warnings down by Springfield earlier this afternoon.

Went to Walmart today and when I was leaving saw that my neighbor up the street had a few trees come down in the storms also. So my next door neighbor isn't the only one who got hit hard.

Anyways, Walmart had their plants marked down to a buck to 5 bucks. So I got me:

Coneflower- Mereinge
Penstemon- Prarie Dusk
Monarda- Pink Supreme
Bleeding Heart
Coreoptsis- Red Shift

Got them all planted and watered in today too!!

Casa Blanca blooming

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

67° with a bit of fog moving in at 5:30 am.

After we got home yesterday, I mowed. I barely got the front yard finished when I felt big drops of rain. By then I was almost running, trying to finish the last square. I got it done, put the mower away, locked the garage and shed, and came in. It POURED! We got 2 2/10'' rain. No wind and only a bit of thunder, but it got Dyson Dark! I just have the small back yard to mow today. We have a high of 84° so it won't be too bad.

Bernie, hope your tiller is a nice one! I haven't picked one out yet, but I will this fall. I think you are the only one eating out of your garden this year, LOL!

Marsue, last head of cabbage I brought in had no bugs inside. I cut it in half and soaked it in salt water. It was good, and tender too! I hope you got rain! The black swallowtail is gorgeous! A flower among flowers!

Ric, I've have had so many rain storms split and reform around me in past years. Now we seem to be in the path. Hate cabbage? Wow, your trumpet vine is thick! I'll bet there's a lot of hummingbirds around! Nice cactus! When I was young, I held a fiberglass lamp shade between my knees. That itched for quite a while.

Oh Adina, back to the daily grind! Nicholas IS growing and she styled his hair!! He looks so happy :o) I hope the house swap works for you and really hope moving to Switzerland is possible!

Pepper, I love those $5 plants! And being able to plant after that rain, wonderful! My Casa Blanca opened yesterday too! It's beautiful!

While the older Grandson was in the garage, putting screws into a board with holes Grandpa helped hand drill, the younger was walking the yard with me. I had him rub the agastache and smell. He was umming over all the fragrant blooms after that. We stopped in the garage to see what his brother was doing and he told Grandpa we were walking around... looking at bees... 'melling the flowers... all very nonchalant. Usually he's the one with the tools in hand and his brother is following me.

Then I let them cut flowers for the vase. Oh my! What a treat! I wouldn't have had a bloom left if I hadn't been there to say ''enough,'' LOL!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: you got some bargains--that is always fun! Pretty bloom on the Casa Blanca.
BP: aren't grandkids grand?--especially when they are little and still full of wonder! Glad you got your yard mowed! I need to mow mine but it is too wet around here--it's been a while since I could say that! LOL Maybe tomorrow it will be dry enough to mow.

I can stop whining about not getting any rain. We have had quite a bit over the last 2 days and it was raining again this morning. This is supposed to move out tonight and we will be dry again the next few days--not to mention hot and humid with heat indexes up around 100F+ !!!
# Today: Locally heavy thunderstorms during the morning will give way to partly cloudy skies this afternoon. Humid. High 91F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
# Tonight: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The tiller is a Troy Built Pony. Just what we need for weeding work. Very good shape.
It has the bolo tines which the new ones don't have. When another company bought out Troy Built, they must have thought eliminating bolo tines was a good idea. Now the new tillers don't work as well.

Guys picked beans yesterday. A 245 ft long row of green beans gave 6, 5 gallon pails full.

Off to use the new tiller. Foggy this morn.
Bernie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, I think I know what the bolo tines look like. Why do they think a person won't buy something unless they change the design? I'm glad you found a nice one. I'm also learning more about tillers all the time. Dad has a small Ryobi cultivator someone gave him and it just bounces over his clay. I know I don't want something like that. He also has the large tillers and they are as old as me.

I would have cried if Mom had sent me out to pick a row of beans that long. I think I'd cry today, LOL! Good thing you have plenty of people to help!

Here's a cool green picture

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Mau, The swallowtail picture is gorgeous--both the bug and the flowers. I am still trying to sort out the various species--black, spicebush, pipevine, etc. I get confused easily. At least I know the red spotted purples don't have the swallow tails, even if markings/color are similar.

Adina, Nicholas is losing his newborn look. Good luck with house sale/purchase. You'll have a new yard to landscape!

Thanks for letting us have some of that rain.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Raining here nice, slow and soaking.
From the radar it appears we'll have several hours of it.

Here's some butterfly sites.
The first one can be tailored for your State by changing the URL.

http://www.thebutterflysite.com/kentucky-butterflies.shtml

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/butterflypages/commonbutterflies.htm

Here's a Peck's Skipper.
About the size of a penny.

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

I read all the posts and then forgot what I read! LOL I reread everything so...

Pepper, eeeeeek! on all the rain, downed tree and FUNNY!!! about 'cabbage patch kids'!!! LOL

Great shot, Ric. They're fun to watch. I love your garden pics, too.

Nicky, is indeed loosing the baby look. He's going to be very handsome, I think.

Waving to those I missed!!! (((((wave)))))

78.6 °F with 94º for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 54 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Pollen: 6.40 out of 12
Pollen Forecast new!
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Waving!!! I've been so busy at work and home I can't keep up with anything, the IRS, Dave's family, stress at work, argh! Muddling through it and after tomorrow some of the stress will be relieved, then when my tax gal gets her paperwork on Thursday that will be another stress reliever, too much at once!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

DEEP Breaths Chrissy DEEP Breaths.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Crissy, the deep breaths do help! LOL

Sunfarm:
Here's another site for butterflies and moths. It can be tailored for your state, too. This one is for Kentucky:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?_dcs=1&ds=18

Rain has stopped, sun is out and it is not as hot as it has been. Current temp on my back porch is 'just' 82F. LOL

waving to everybody ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

We're back into a heat advisory, that didn't last long but it was a nice break!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link, Mau.
It was raining hard enough most of the day (until 4:15) that I didn't get out for any pictures of butterflies or anything else/

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It's getting hot now. It got up to 95F today. There is a fire burning out there somewhere.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on July 13, 2010
91 °F
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 12 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 20 mph

Hot, humid and heat index reached around 100. The heat index and temps will climb as the week goes on. It was so bad that coming home I turned the air on instead of driving with the windows down like I always do. lol

I'm assuming this is zinna but not sure. lol. I think it is cause the leaves look like it. I'm enjoying it anyways.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.