July weather- Gonna be a hot one!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Warm and rainy all day.
Nice steady soaking 3/4" of rain from 9AM till 4PM.
Then the skies opened up..... total for the day... 2 3/4".

We are full up, ponds, rain containers and saucers.

Looking at mid/upper 90's for the next 3 days!

(Zone 7a)

Another hot one today. I think we made it to 96º. Tomorrow shouldn't be as hot with 90º but by Saturday, we may have 100º. August is going to be bad.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

gonna be hot here, too! heat index up to 110F WHEW! My yard needs mowing but it will have to wait until at least 7 p.m. I'm not gonna get out there in this heat in the middle of the day!
Pretty flowers, Pepper and Celia! My zinnias are blooming, too, Pepper, but the batteries in my camera went kaput so I have to get some more before I can take any pictures.

# Today: Sunny to partly cloudy. Humid. Heat index near 110F. High 97F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Humid. Low 77F. Winds light and variable.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, it's going to be a hot one today. Right now it's 74° with an expected high of 93°. It's also a little drier this morning with no fog and it will be mostly sunny.

Sunfarm, I have two butterfly books, and found one on just caterpillars in Barne's and Noble. I use them a lot! Nice hibiscus! They are blooming around here too. I had a bush that was a seedling from a weedy type, but it only bloomed a very short while. I took it out.

Ric, nice picture of the skipper and the butterfly bush bloom!

Celia, it's good to be busy! Helps the mind, LOL! Love the cinnamon ears :o)

Awww Chrissy!

Ric LOL! Well said to Chrissy!

Marsue, looks like you had a nice day.

Kelly, I think I'll match you for heat today! I'll have to walk extra early so I don't come back drenched.

Pepper, that's hot! (Paris Hilton's expression, if we all remember her, LOL!) Love love love that bloom!

Ric, you got a bit more rain than me, and ours all soaked in!

Celia, love those blooms!! What are they?

Marsue, I got my back yard mowed yesterday and it was hot even tho it was before noon. It's not worth over-heating out there!

I cut another head of cabbage and pulled more beets. The neighbor offers us corn and a few cherry tomatoes keep ripening. I have to buy potatoes and fried some for dinner yesterday. I love them with horseradish! I also had a small pattypan squash to eat before I pulled the vine from the compost pile. We don't care for it and it was crowding the potato and acorn squash also growing. So, I got to eat a few things from the garden :o)

Maybe I should move closer to Bernie :o)

The compost pile veggie volunteers

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

BP, It's funny, but I have not seen any volunteers on our compost pile this year, despite the weather that has made everything else lush. I had two tomato plants and picked 42 squashes from there last year.
We had a total of 1" of rain yesterday; that was plenty to wet things down and not wash out the road.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 7a)

BP, that's an Ice Plant, Delosperma cooperi.

I have a volunteer from a compost pile given to me by a buddy of Darrell's. It's a squash but we don't know which. Flowers are starting, so I may know in awhile.

90º for today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, nice squash! 42 are more squash than I've ever had at a time, LOL! I threw all my old seeds on the compost pile and an acorn squash is what grew. I planted 'Carnival'' along the cucumber fence, so I was happy to get something different and I do have two volunteer tomatoes in the back. I'll take all the food that grows this year!

I had to run back in for the camera this morning.

A male red spotted purple, I think.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, I should have known because I think Ice Plants are so pretty! If you like squash, you'll most likely be happy with any kind you get. I love the trellis and how you have it planted! Neat rocks too! Aurora will love to play on them when she's walking :o)

I was at an elderly friend's house a couple of weeks ago and noticed a plant that she had along her garage. It wasn't blooming, but I loved the leaves. It was a plant her Grandmother had had, and they used to add the leaves to a bouquet for the cemetery. I could come get a start anytime. I went and got this morning. I was pretty sure it was Tansey, something I've wanted for a long time. It is! She had no idea what it was. I'm thrilled to get it, and to know it came from a family! Those are the best plants. I'll share some of it with my neighbor.

It's 89°, I've walked and hung clothes. Nice breeze and I think the skeeters are slowing down for a day or two.

(Zone 7a)

Did you notice where the beebalm is?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

No, I was too busy looking at the design on the trellis and the boxes, LOL! It fits right in!

(Zone 7a)

It does. It is perfect there. Thanks again for it. ^_^

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

You're welcome! So far mine is staying smaller than the others.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Today is hot!
90º
79º dew point
105º heat index.

(Zone 7a)

Whew, Bernie!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: nice story about the tansey. Hopefully you will share a photo of it with us. Pretty butterfly--I'm not familiar with that one.
Celia: the arbor is looking pretty. I was about to tell you that the bee balm will be getting a lot bigger than that until BP said hers is staying smaller.
Bernie, you are not supposed to have that kind of heat up there, are you? Unfortunately, you are in our league right now!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Now until the end of August!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Celia that arbor has came out nice!

I had one bee balm grow about 1', the other grew 7'.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Most of the volunteer squashes were something that looked sort of like yellow striped watermelons; they were edible but not really that tasty. There were some butternuts that were flavorful and some bottle gourds, which I dried over the winter.

Hot today 87° but supposed to be hotter tomorrow.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Low 90s with heat index around 105. Very hot!! Heat advisories out til it cools downs.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cold front is now over us. Temp is 78º
Dew point is 57º
Quite a difference from noon time.
Some storms to north & east of us.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sunny those striped ones would be cool if they were gourds!
Neat birdhouses.

Celia what a lovely setting.
The trellis garden is perfect!

BP we never see those here after Spring.
Nice!!

88° and a H.I. of 99°
Tomorrow that may be our actual!

The Brugs have finally started blooming

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, eveyrone! LOL

A nice day today. Cooling off nicely now.

Russian Stonecrop.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

BP that's actually a Verbena Bloom.
I placed it next to the BF Bush and you almost can't tell the difference in person.
I agree lovely Tansey story!

Pep I love that Zinnia!
Be sure to save seeds!

Here's our Nicotiana.
It's having an exceptional year.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

77° and humid cool at 4:45 am. No rain, but there could have been. It's breaking up before it gets here.

Toyota just had an ad at the top of the weather page (National Weather) of a Toyota blowing up, to recreate a new Toyota. Come help celebrate our new vehicle. Kind of an odd way to catch someone's attention.

Marsue, with a lot of rain, the beebalm might grow as tall as the others, but I think it's a smaller one to begin with.

Sunfarm, that is quite a collection of squash. It's too bad they weren't all good. I'd have tried a ''pumpkin pie'' from the less tasty.

Pepper, lovely red daylily! Compared to the weather it actually looks cool.

Bernie, that cool front should drop over us today.

Ric, pretty brugs! Do they smell good?

Celia, neat stonecrop! I've never heard the name before.

Ric, I never thought of underplanting with verbena! What a great combo and I'll copy it next year! I love nicotiana! What a gorgeous color! Goes well with the blue bucket, LOL!

Tansy for Marsue (It can be spelled with an e, but this seems to be the common speling)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Another picture of the butterfly open. Not a good shot for color.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

But still a nice shot. It's pretty.

61.2 °F with 94º for the high.
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 5.30 out of 12
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Coneflower

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nice photos, everyone!
Sunfarm: nice grouping of squash.
Pepper: pretty color on that daylily!
BP; the tansy looks "fern-like".
Ric: Brugs are so pretty but I don't have any place to keep them during the winter, which is why I don't have any. My nicotiana has dried up from the heat and lack of rain. Maybe they will revive after the rain of this past week. Yours is really pretty.
Celia: nice coneflower---"My, what a big eye you have!" LOL

We are entering the so-called "dog days" of summer. :o(( (wonder where that term came from?---it's too hot for even dogs to be outside--maybe that is where the term "hot dog" came from---LOL)

# Today: Mostly sunny. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 110F. High 98F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Some clouds. Low 77F. Winds light and variable.

Sunset from a couple of weeks ago--June 29th to be exact

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Dog Days comes from ancient Greece, Egypt (start of the Nile flooding season) and then Rome.
It refers to the rising of the Dog Star, Sirius, at the same time as the Sun.

Lovely BP!

We had a bit of a scare yesterday.
The somewhat new fridge, 2 1/2 years, started making a terrible racket.
Turned out the officially 3 1/2" of rain we got the other day and all the humidity it generated had frozen the coils.
We turned it off fror and hour or so, let it thaw and it's working fine now, knocking on wood!

Looking at 95° today.

We're having good luck w/ the Ec's this year.
More sun, rain and certainly heat has caused them to fill in nicely.
These are two years old.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

That's interesting Ric. Hope that fridge keeps working for ya, those problems are no fun, especially when the appliance is that new. Your brugs are blooming before mine are! Mine are budding but last year got up 9 to 10 feet tall, this year the tallest one is about 5 feet.
Nice sunset Mau!! I need to pay more attention I suppose.
Celia it looks like a pink sunflower! LOL!!!! Love the color of that cone flower, very nice!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

nice coneflowers, Ric. Names? I take it you and Robyn don't have a/c or you do't use it--thus the fridge coils freezing up?
Crissy: are those brug leaves? Too bad they aren't edible--or maybe they are! LOL

HOT---feels like I am stepping into an oven whenever I go outside. Needless to say, I only go out when it is absolutely necessary as in: "Friday" needs to go out!

These are Coconut Lime (white) and Tomato Soup (red)--this was taken last month.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, those are beautiful. My Tomato Soup is not so nice. I think it has a virus. Some of my others on the other side of the bed last year had one. I'm very sad.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

BP, we ate the squash with a tasty marinara sauce, though it was not fibrous like spaghetti squash.
Didn't make 90 today; upper 80s was more than enough.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Upper 80s for a high with high humidity and later this afternoon a nice breeze.

Had softball practice a couple hours ago and by the end of practice our shirts were a different color. lol. It's that hot here.

After Eight lily doesn't look too good. I hope it doesn't die on me. I don't need another excuse to buy another lily. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: your coneflowers don't have Asters Yellow do they? If so, you need to pull them up--otherwise they will infect all of your coneflowers and even other flowers. check this out:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Pests/Diseases/astryel2.htm

Pepper: its that hot here, too. I was just outside for a few minutes when I took my dog outside a little bit ago and I was sweating by the time I came back in.

(Zone 7a)

Yes, Mau, that's what the ones last year had. I pulled them all out. These aren't turning yellow like last year, they're just distorted.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We have AC but only use it for sleeping.
It's the first time we've ever had a problem w/ the fridge.
But also the first 'Deep South' Summer we've ever had this early....lol!

The Brugs have been blooming for 2 months now but very spotty.
A bloom here and there. Now they are all throwing buds like gangbusters.

Harvested our first figs today, just a handful but they were delicious.

Since we had the fridge pulled out we decided to go ahead and build and install the corner cabinet over it.
We reused a bunch of materials we had so it will cost us nothing but time.....

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good Morning! 67° with a high of 90° expected, and a light breeze. I hope it isn't humid. I need to mow and it's going to be near 90 all week. Eeek!

Yesterday was near perfect for summer and we got the garden pretty much weeded. There's something dead among the asparagus fronds, but we can't see it. My callas, 4 O'clocks and glads are just breaking thru, so I have those blooms to look forward to!

Celia, nice shot of the coneflower! It's a nice pink!

Marsue, that is a gorgeous sky!!

Ric, that is a scare! I'm glad you figured out the problem and it's working now. We ran uptown yesterday to see about a new dishwasher. This one is 13 years old and barely works. I refuse to go back to washing by hand, ick! AND, that is a lot of rain!! My Cones are doing well too! Nice picture! Love the longer fronds on the white bloom!

Chrissy, it took me a minute to spot the okra pods, LOL! We don't grow that here in the midwest :o) Your's is a nice healthy plant!

Marsue, I HATE to stay inside in the summer and have to go out no matter how hot it is! And I do. Wow, Tomato Soup really stands out! Nice Coconut Lime too!

Sunfarm, at least you found a way to eat the squash. I've had a couple of the large one's I didn't care for. One was the slate blue color and the other was a Turban's Cap. They were dry and kind of bland. It might not have beena good year, or, that's just how they are. I love squash and the new pretty colors are so sweet now. It's a big change from the baked acorn I hated as a kid, but like now, LOL!

Pepper, LOL over the shirts, as long as everyone re-hydrated and didn't get sick! No, your lily doesn't look good. Almost like a bug got to it.

Ric, oportunity knocked! I love it that you built something so quick!

I hope to get a walk in this morning while it's nice. I get so far behind here when I shut down early. I've been up an hour and wrote this post and a d-mail answer. I don't know how time gets away fom me. I even have a faster computer now.

Oriental Lily - Casa Blanca and False Japanese Aster - Hortensis

Thumbnail by billyporter
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

78°

Details for Friday, July 16
Partly cloudy early followed by scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. Hot. High 93F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms during the evening. Partly cloudy skies after midnight. Low 71F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%

BP those are brugs, and Mau I have no idea if they're edible or not. I posted a pic yesterday of the whole plants to show you the size but I guess it didn't post.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.