July 2010

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper - That looks really familiar to me, but I just can't come up with a name. I'm sure when someone names it, I'll recognize it, you know. LOL

Nice pictures, everyone! Looks like you've been doing some hard labor, Will. Mulch is heavy stuff!

Here's a pic of my coneflowers. There's a Gaura right in the middle of them that's not in bloom right now. You can just see the white coneflowers (the short ones on the right side), and the Black-eyed Susans are just starting to open up.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Thought I'd post some pics of my daylilies from last week that I was too busy to post.

This one is Happy Returns.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Siloam Virginia Henson

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Calgary Stampede

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Nanuq

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Catherine Woodbury (I think, lost the tag)

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I think this is Hyperion. I lost the tag on this one, too.

Thumbnail by ImaMes

Ima~ very lovely daylillies especially the Catherine Woodbury!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's a repeat from Weather, so I don't have to re-type the whole thing

We took the boys out to swim in their pool while DH did chores for DD. I dug out the old, old, bikini and got in the pool too. Heck, we're in the middle of no-where out there. Who's to see? I joked to the boys, "Look at my fat belly sticking up there." A few minutes later the oldest jumped on me with his inner tube. He said he needed some dry land. He's 6.

Garden6, beautiful bouquets! It's so nice that everyone got to have a change of pace! Isn't it fun to come home and look at all the flowers? There is still plenty of summer left too. I was afraid it was flying by too fast, but it's slowed down now. I see things I want to do out there!

Will, the mulch is piled on perfectly thick and shouldn't break down as fast since it's not touching dirt. 40% is more than I thought it would be covered. I never was any good at math. I walk around mentally laying bags of mulch on the bed I want to cover, and adding one more to the list. LOL! I'll bet it's a pretty big 'barrow, and yep, it looks great so far! Everyone who drives by will notice!

Garden, ''sweatstroke,'' love the words they come up with. It's so cute, I might have to use it myself!

ImaMes, I love gaura, but it's an annual for me :o( Nice selection of wildflowers, and I love the birdbath! I can't have enough of them around either! I adore daylilies!

The skeeters weren't too bad yesterday, but we used ''Family Care Off'' anyway. It worked pretty good. The shrub my neighbor gave me has perked up. (Caryopteris) I thought sure it would never recover since they brought it bare root. I hung a thin blanket over it on the hottest day and have kept it wet, but not drowned. I see my glads are peeking thru now too.

''Funny boy'' got a noseful!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Pepper - I don;t know what that is. It doesn't look like anything I recall seeing.

ImaMes - Nice looking garden. Love the daylilies also.

billyporter - Kids look like hey are having a good time in the pool. Looks like a good tihing to do on a hot day.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
Hi Ima, oh it IS hard labor. Not friendly work for an old man! lol
Thanks garden6, I definitely don't want a hernia! I've gotten to this age without one, reminders on that stuff don't hurt at all. : ) I just stay hunched over when I'm scooping mulch, no reason really to even straighten up for a little while..lol I'm just a "mulch pivoter", I scoop it up with the pitchfork and pivot over to the wheelbarrow and drop it in!
Today, I picked up even more Cedar mulch than the first time, 25% more. Today, I asked my friend if that looked like about 40% so far? She says "no, thats more like 25%, I was like, *sigh* oh dear". Billyp, you were right, it only looked like 40% to me! lol
I'm afraid it was only wishful thinking on my part, I got lots more mulching to go.
I never was any good at math either. I think I got a c in math and algebra I was totally lost in, and I got an f in it..lol I had to take 2 summer school classes after the 12th grade to get my diploma!
A "sweatstroke"..haha!
Actually, when I was yanking the weeds off that guy's fence about a month ago is when I felt most affected by the blazing heat. I was thinking "I'm going down right here, this is it, I am going to die from heat exhaustion". I recovered from that I guess and I have lived yet a day longer to pull another weed..lol I think weeds can put a heat spell on you or something!
Glad to see your Caryopteris from the neighbors is gonna make it, billyp.
Okay, now somebody reply to my other thread! I know some of you have neat plants now! I am going to cry I tell you if you don't! You don't need to have photos, just describe it!
Will

Gravois Mills, MO

wonderful weather we are having this evening huh????!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The weather is crazy!! We had winds so strong and with hail at one point we went to the basement. My next door neighbor had a pecan tree break in half also. It appears to be south of us now. Sunshine and thunder here.

Thumbnail by pepper23

That was the front yard. That whole section of the road flooded too. Now here's my backyard. All these pics taken after it pretty much quit raining and the water was receding.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Smithville lake is flooding in the low areas of Smithville. I don't think we got that much, but Mom said Smithville got nailed.
Went on the water garden tour yesterday and saw 20 homes. It was great. Someone even gave me a fresh tomato, the seeds are from Russia and are not a hybrid, so I am going to try to save some seeds. Saw beautiful things and will post some pics later. Out to play before it is too late.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

This afternoon we were at Lowe's and they announced over the p.a. that there was a tornado warning and everyone needed to go to the flooring section in the middle of the store. They even had employees trying to round everyone up and get them there. That's the first time that's ever happened to us. We only had a couple of things to buy but ended up having to stay in the store for an hour or more. No sense being in the car in tornado weather.

Then we came to to see that my beautiful redbud tree was split almost in half. Bummer!!! Not sure if it was high winds or lightning strike. Here's what it looked like.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Oops! Forgot the photo.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

And...wouldn't you know...our son has our tree saw. So we had to cut the broken limbs with the hand saw and chain saw. At least is wasn't raining when we got home. It started right after we finished cutting down all the limbs we needed to cut. Fortunately, we are going to visit our son this week and get our tree saw back, so we'll have some tidying to do when we get back from vacation. I don't know if you can tell, but that's almost half the tree gone.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Gravois Mills, MO

Imamess----- Yes it was a nice day wasnt it. Our Red Bud got a couple limbs knocked off but that was because a pretty good sized peice of buckeye tree from next door fell on it and into my wifes rock garden. I will be cutting it up tomorrow and putting it down by the lake and I and my neighbor will burn it this winter when the water drops. I have been through a few tornados and 2 hurricanes at sea. I will take the hurricanes any day. They are centainly scary but you can prepare because you know what is coming.

Wow!! My neighbor behind me had the same thing happen with her pecan tree.

Glad you guys weren't hurt while riding the storm out at Lowes. Did a tornado touch down or was it radar indicated? I haven't heard anything about tornadoes anywhere yet. Will have to watch news again tonight and see what they say.

Thumbnail by pepper23

We ride out hurricanes all the time here in MO. I also prefer them over tornadoes.

Gravois Mills, MO

Pepper I am native Missouri. I just went off to pursue the grand life of a sailor for about 6 yrs. And a grand life it was. Meeting all those persons in ports around the world.

A hurricane at sea is a real experience the first time. Your hundreds of miles out in the ocean, the wind is going 100 miles and hour or more and the seas or running 40ft to 50 ft. It gets scary but it does not sneak up on you and I never been in one that killed anyone.

We were lucky no bad weather here yet, just rain and a little thunder. It has cooled off now.

Here is a pic of someones storage shed, see the water coming off the roof and going in the pond?
We are going to build a storage/dog pen and I love the old gas station stuff so that is what we are planning to do with it. I have been collection that stuff for 20 years so it will be so much fun to see it all in one place.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

No tornadoes that I know of, Pepper, just warnings, so probably radar indicated. The really bad weather is south of us. Springfield got two feet of flooding in some areas! For all the tornado warnings, high winds and lightning, we only got 1/2 inch of rain.

I know what you mean,Oz. My mom used to live in South Florida and had to board up her house a few times in prep for hurricanes. No time to prep for a tornado...and I don't think there's anything one could do anyway.

I'm just glad we weren't in the car. I'd hate to have to find a muddy, wet ditch to lie in to avoid getting carried away by a tornado. Yuk!!!

What a beautiful shed and pond, Happ! I want one of those. LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

SusanKC, I got in with them while we were babysitting. It felt so good!!

Will, that's how I scoop and lift! Saves the back too. At least you don't have to pay for those truckloads. Might as well pile it on high. It doesn't weigh nearly as much as pea gravel and we get the truck right down there on the axels, but don't go over what the requirement is when we get it. We hate to make two trips, LOL! I kept to the basic maths because I knew I couldn't do anything harder. They must have thought you could handle it to let you take algebra in the first place. ''Heat spell!'' LOL! I believe it! Especially when you're knee deep in the middle of a bed! Which other thread? You might have to post the link again because it hasn't popped up on my watched threads lately.

Pepper, at least you got rain and no broken trees! Oops, looks like the tree got it at some point in it's life! Wow, that's a yard full of rain!

Happ, the tour and tomato sounds great!

ImaMes, yes, at least you were already in the store! It's too bad you had to stay in flooring if that wasn't on your shopping list! Still, after seeing roofs torn off stores it's scarey till it's over, and at least you were together. What a shame to lose a limb. I hope it doesn't look too lopsided when it's gone. No, it doesn't look too bad. It's the scar that will show for a while.

Ozark, it's nice to get free wood out of a bad situation. The hurricane at sea sounds terrifying. Do all hands go off deck during one?

Happ, I love their little shed and can't wait to see your's when it's built!

ImaMes, I would have a hard time lying in a muddy ditch too, or even a culvert if it wasn't 4' tall. Tornados are the worst!

We took the boys home yesterday and it's back to normal. I need to vacume and dust, but the rest is caught up. I have a Dr. appt. for my thyroid. I haven't had any medicine for it yet. The swollen ankles went away on their own, thank goodness! I'm thinking my guardian angel saved me again by forcing me to go to the Dr. LOL!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Susan - Thanks! Last year my coneflowers got some sort of virus that made the buds wilt before they opened up. I thought maybe I had lost them, so I'm happy to see them blooming this year. They reseed anyway because I don't deadhead them completely. I like to leave some of the seed heads for the birds. The deer beat me to some of my daylilies this Spring, so not all of them bloomed. :-( They didn't discover my daylily bed for several years, but now I think it's one of their favorite restaurants. haha

Pepper - I was wrong. Found out this morning that the Highway Patrol reported a tornado 4 miles south of our house. That is the local tornado alley, so it's not unusual, but still...too close for comfort. There were two huge oak trees completely uprooted in Camdenton. One is about a mile from our house right along the road in between two businesses. Fortunately, it didn't fall on a building.The other is near a house but I'm not sure where. I saw a photo and it looked liked it didn't fall on top of anything, but I don't know for sure. I'm glad your neighbor's tree didn't fall on their home. That was close! How's the "river" in your backyard? Is it receding yet? BTW - Love your 'Statement' lily, and those yellow daylilies with the orange edges are beautiful! Really unusual. Did you ever figure out what your mystery plant is? Did you try posting it on the Plant Identification forum?

Wow, Oz! A hurricane at sea sounds scary!! I'll bet you met some interesting people and saw some interesting sights as a sailor.

Billy - Love the photo of your grandkids in the pool! Sounds like you had a good time in the pool as well! Glad your Caryopteris survived. Our tree actually is lopsided now. Just depends on the angle from which you look at it. We'll have to trim it up a bit to make it look a little less so. I just hope that wound heals well. On the bright side, I have a lot of sun plants under it that weren't getting enough sun since the tree has grown. Well, they will now! I was actually thinking about creating another flower bed out back where I could move them so they'd get more sun. Now I won't have to!

Will - I'm a pivoter, too. Unfortunately, I can't stand up after that. LOL Take heart, in your photo it looks more like 40% than 25%. Just keep telling yourself that it is. ;-)

Garden6 - Love your bouquets! And "sweatstroke"...that's a good one! I think I have that every time I work in the garden in the summer. LOL

Gravois Mills, MO

Billy----- No they do not take all hands off deck. I went through twice on a WWII Essex class carrier that was over 900 ft long and weighed 45,000 ton. We took blue waves over the bow a few times and it was 65 ft to the water line swetting still in a harbor. You have lines and tie yourself togethers if you must go out there. During the storm you eat setting on the floor in the gally because the tables benches and all the cooking and eating stuff tend to get loose and can hurt you.

Imamess---- Well about the people I met. Hmmmmmmmm in all honesty. Hmmmmmm Wellllllllll being a sailor and a young one at that I do not think I will discribe those person or interest here.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ImaMes, I am so glad you didn't have any more damage than that, and maybe it's better you were in a store not knowing what was just a mile from you. That is very close! I think your tree will be ok too, and Pollyana's ''Glad Game'' comes thru again!

Ozark, I kind of thought someone had to be on deck. We just watched ''Moby Dick'' (the original one, in case they've remade it,) and the storms they went thru. I can imagine the force of the wind and water so I'd be happy to ride it out the harbor myself, LOL! Memories of people past Ozark, I hope they're good ones! (Smile)

I walked this morning and stopped to talk to five people along the way. Good thing I need to mow later. I'll get exercise then :o)

Today is the coolest day I'll have to be out. The rest of the week, close to 90°.

lkozarksgarden, you made me laugh with your last comment....LOL

I have been draggin this pot in and out when they call for high winds, and severe thunderstorm, but I really enjoy the caladiums. Hope I haven't already posted this can't remember anything any more, especially not anything important....LOL

Clouding up again....hummmm

Thumbnail by happgarden

Ima, I never did find the ID of the mystery plant. I'm still looking though. I'm glad you didn't know about the tornado til afterwards. That is still a little too close for comfort though. The river is completely gone, now it's just muddy from the rains. My neighbor up the street lost a few trees in her yard too so we weren't the only ones hit here. And the road is a mess again due to the flash flooding.

Happ, I want that storage shed here now. LOL. Now that we have the barn one of our sheds here at home will be torn down if my dad has his way. It just means I can plant a couple roses and a couple blueberries there when it's gone. LOL. Your caladium looks great!!

Well, I hit a clearance sale at Walmart today and came home with some goodies. The list is on the sales thread. I got them all planted and watered so they should be good to go. Funny thing is that when I went to my little "corner" where I keep stuff outside, there was a garter snake there and I didn't see it til I reached down to get my trowel. Don't know who was more scared-me or him. LOL. He lives under the deck and is about a foot long right now. Not the first time I've seen him there but it's the first time he caught me off guard. lol

Casa Blanca oriental lily blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

BP, here's the link to Will's thread. Best and/or most expensive plants you have bought.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1113806/

Ima ~ glad you're safe and sound!

Pepper~ Your Casa Blanca is quite stunning. A garter snake is a gardener's best friend along with the gardening variety of spiders.

I have been target practicing as the pesky rabbits just wont stay off the patio! I'm tired of cleaning rabbit poo before the pumpkins can play outside! Chile powder, cayenne powder, even fencing the area off has not sent them elsewhere. I am too quesy for live trapping...can't take something jumping wildly about in a trap or in my car to be relocated. Hope I don't have to flip 'em with a shovel...just a little target practice to send them on their way ...elsewhere and off my patio!! Especially since the rabbits are terroritorial and of course these pesky rabbits just stare at the pumpkins when they come outside and refuse to leave the patio!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all, my thread is just in the Central Midwest forum thing billyp, you just have to pull up the main forum thing. Yeah, just follow Pepper's link, thanks Pepper.
If you wanna see it, really, its ok if you don't wanna reply.
Thanks, I thot it looked like 40% too!
Oh well, its 80% done out there now if its 2%! lol Now, a big expensive dilemma is going to be getting some kind of decorative patio blocks for the border. That won't be cheap either, but I think we're leaning towards a block like maybe a red Holland paver at The Home Depot, they are 52 cents apiece. They're only 4" x 8" each so it'll take about 145 of them! Ack, the humanity! Maybe they'll have mercy on me if I rattle some change in my pocket!
Ewww, sorry Ima, thats hard to look at, that photo of your broken Redbud. Such a nice centerpiece, all that time and work and everything you put in it, what a heartbreaker. At least it didn't break the tree. Maybe it will look good enuff to stay there and look good.
Heres what I spent the day doing, pushmowing this place in Kansas! I was lucky, it started raining when I finished mowing!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, those are gogeous caladiums, and so cooling! I've never seen them posted before. They're huge! Worth all the lugging! Laughing over those clouds!

Pepper, I have been looking in my southern plant books and tried Googgling that plant too. It's neat, and still a mystery. But, everyone likes to solve a mystery so post it as unidentified and you'll get an answer. The rains sure tear up the roads. They've barely fixed our gravel roads. A few are still just closed. ROTFL!! I love how you open the door when opportunity knocks. I'm suprised your Dad doesn't tease you and say he'll keep the shed after all :o) ROTFL!!! I'll bet both of you were scared... at first :o) Thanks for the link. I haven't been there before, but I'll get to it.

Garden6, it's time to pick out a kitten from someone'a ''free pile.'' Either sex, spayed or neutered, will keep the rabbits away, but they need to be outdoor raised in the first place. Course, kitty poo in the yard and garden is pretty smelly. (There's my neighbor cat coming out of my garden now.)

Will, chatty me not reply? Ha! I think any paver would look great! No change rattlers allowed! Sorry, that went out in the 30's, LOL! Thats a nice big yard to mow. I'll bet it looked nice when it was done. Now in four days you can do it again!

I mowed after we got home yesterday and almost got done before it started raining big drops. I just got the mower away, the shed and garage locked and it POURED! We got 2 2/10''. I just have to finish mowing the back yard today. Piece of cake! And, in four days, I can do it again!

I need to get out and walk. The sun is out already.

A nice cool green picture of a no-name.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Billy~ Thanks for the suggestion, as I am a poor aim with scaring the rabbits off. An outdoor kitten may also keep the other neighbors' cats out of my yard, as well!... Love the "cool green " no name hosta.

Shortleaf~ you can also scout out some damaged pavers( like on one side and used that against the ground) and get a manager's discount on them. My friend did that and picked up a bulk of them for less than $4.

Suppose to be hot and steamy here today so I'm off to the garden ...

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Oz - Funny comment!! LOL

Happ - Beautiful caladium! I didn't plant mine this year. I wonder if the bulbs will still be viable next year.

Pepper - Those end-of-season sales can be great. Glad you were able to get everything planted and watered. I've been avoiding the sales because we're going on vacation tomorrow and I don't want to have to leave them and lose them. Your Casa Blanca is pretty!

Will - That's a lot of mowing...especially with a push mower! Well, at least you can stay in shape that way. LOL The hard work with the pavers will pay off. It'll look really nice when it's finished.

Garden6 - Those are pretty brave rabbits if they stay around when your pumpkins are out. Have you tried Liquid Fence on your plants? Expensive but it works well for both rabbits and deer. A cat or a dog works well, too. Unless it's an old dog like mine, who stares at the rabbits and squirrels and thinks, "meh, not worth getting up for...." Ok, to be fair, she has arthritis in her hips and hind legs so it's hard for her to get up and chase.

Billy - Your hosta looks like my Aureo Marginata. Here's a pic from last year.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Garden6, my neighbors have had their potted plants eaten by the rabbits, and they haven't bothered any of my flowers. They are brave when they want to be! We seem to adopt a feral cat every year. This last one happens to be the neighbor's and nothing has happened to him yet. (Seems the ferals just up and disappear after a while. I think the hoot owls get them.) He catches squirrels and rabbits in spite of being fed here, and at home. I think they can't help themselves.

Pretty cool about the discounted pavers. I use damaaged bricks that way.

ImaMes, it does look like the same hosta. I really hate not knowing exactly what I have. I think your caladiums will need green leaves this year to feed the bulbs for next year. I could be wrong tho. Happy vacation to you!!

I need to mow in a while and I'm off to look at Will's thread. Later all, if not tomorrow.

Ok, I am exhausted, I spent most of last night chasing a snake around in the garden room. This is either the second snake in two days or the same snake I removed on Sunday! I have had it. It was a rough night, I was trying to net him with my pond net, but he was having no part of it and was he strong OMG! While I was in the midst of being on Animal Planet, my lovely DH thought it would be fun (not knowing I was stalking a snake) to open the side door of my building with my back to the door and yell 'HEY', me not so much!!!! Course since he is more terrified than me of snakes the great hunter left immediately. Sunday I tried to explain to DH that he was the boy and he should go get that snake! Didn't work so well. Since I couldn't get the snake DH said he would find him for me today, I am just hoping that I don't have too many bullet holes in the building when I get home, just kidding.............I hope! Then hopefully dh can figure out where in the world they are coming in at, last year I had 2 snakes in there at the same time! I was going to catch and release, I have a sneaking idea that won't happen with dh. I looked the snake up and I think it is a Rat Snake, he would try to rattle his tail (I know it wasn't a rattlesnake use to live in Texas and I know their rattle) and he is really really strong (constricts his prey) and could climb OMG right up the rough cedar walls! too much excitement, people have a tendency to under rate boredom, but the opposite is not always good. Haven't heard from DH hope the snake didn't win!

ImaMes, just stick those caladiums somewhere and they will be up in no time as warm as it is. They are too expensive to let go. Sides they are soooo pretty. I just let them dry out in the pot in the fall and then start watering the same pot early in the spring and they are growing and growing, course I fertilize after they get going.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tips on caladiums, Happ and Billy. I have had mine for a few years and this was the first year I didn't pot them up. Good idea, Happ, leaving them in the pot and just starting to water them in the Spring. I have always dug mine out and kept them in the basement. So I've been doing all that extra work for nothing! LOL I also have sweet potato vines that I didn't pot up this year (Guess this was the year for something different, haha) so I'll do the same with them.

ROTFL about your story, Happ!! That's the kind of excitement I don't want. I am terrified of snakes, too. I'd be after it with a shovel, not a net. No catch and release for me! haha I have found that the older I get, the more I want just an ordinary, boring life.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.