Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Midland City, AL

Hell hath no fury like nice Christian ladies in pursuit of justice. Lol. The children will have their very own attorney so there is someone working the system that has their well-being as a top priority. Paying her is all Amargia will be responsible for. J.’s legal representation will be handled by a women’s protection group. The ladies hit the ground running and armed for battle with documented facts right down to dates and file numbers. X may lose his job before this is over. The snow job he’s been doing on those in the system is melting fast in the heat these ladies are generating. Kay did warn him to do right or there would be consequences. (Well, she may have phrased it in more colorful, less polite terms, but that was the gist of what she said. Lol) I guess he thought it was bluster and we couldn’t or wouldn’t back it up. I think he sees Amargia as just a bunch of blind people, old folks and gimps. This is going to be a hard lesson for him. Wish it hadn’t come to this. I know the ladies do. Very few soldiers actually like the work they do. It just has to be done. The ladies are like soldiers that wear stockings and high heels. They should wear combat boots. I would think they would be a lot more comfortable. Lol.
Kay is trying another VI seed planting experiment. She is placing seeds on top of the soil in pots of potting soil and sprinkling different things over the seeds. Things like clean sand. Chicken grit and the small gravel you buy for use in aquariums. The idea is to find a good medium for covering the seeds that will not float or be washed away by our heavy rains or heavy handed watering. It would be good to have plants actually come up where we planted them. Not where the water moved them to.
Glad to see you back and to hear that you are doing better, Bonnie.. Your DGD sounds like a gem. I have a hard time getting mine that age to leave off computer gaming and text messaging long enough to do much. Don't know who she could have gotten the tech addiction from. Lol. (Jim)
Photo: 'Pride of Mobile' Azalea

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thats like the azalias i saw on my trip. Seems like everyone had a bush or more blooming.Those are beautiful.

I had the spirea and decided for some silly reason i did'nt like them. So dug them up and gave them away and gave them away,and gave them away. Two years ago they were truely gone. This year i have a little 18 inch branch up and blooming. It stays there. Anything that fights that hard to live deserves a place in this world.

Praise the Lord for nice Christian Ladys in pursuit of justice. Heres a prayer and good wishes for those Onward Christian Solders.Prayers for J and those babies too.Prayers for you too Jim.It's hard for you too.
Just remember the General of this army is all powerful.
Bonnie, Your work sounded like a full days worth to me. Weeding is hard work.Glad you had some help.
I have an MSN2. It uses a tv for a screen(moniter) and the modem is something off in California.I don't have to worry about viruses.I don't have the power or memory but it does what little i want to do.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey you guys, That azalea is georgeous. I would love to have some someday and they are on my personal wish list with a hundred more.

Jim, I would not want to be in X's shoes. I know what the guy is up against. I was in a group like that at my church once against an abusive man. He is in big trouble. I know what happens when a group of Prayer warriors go to battle muchless one as tough as you describe your Kay. God Bless her, J and the kids. It is amazing what can happen when you turn it over to the Lord. If you had not said "Christian Ladies" I would not be as confident but when you mix in the Prayer then the old devil does not stand a chance.

Vickie, It is so good to have you back. How is the BP today? Are you feeling better?

Goodnight everyone,Love and Prayers, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I haven't read too carefully - I don't have my contacts in - but I vote for the bridal wreath.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Bless you Carrie, Bridal wreath is tough as weeds.They are pretty as long as they bend and weep to the ground.I think that as they get older they just sort of stand there and do nothing. Jims was pretty tho.Maybe we Arkies don't know how to grow them. I never pruned it once tho. Promise!
J and Kids are still in my thoughts and prayers. I'll leave X up to Kay and friends,He's out of my mind.
I was thinking of you when i went outside Carrie, It was cold this morning and i've stayed inside.
My BP is moderately stable 150/74 today. Chest pains have
almost quit also. Since i'm doing absolutely nothing. Things should be good.
If DD could make a weed grow, I think she'd have stolen my Fairy Bells.

Vickie

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

How rude of me! I introduced myself and disappeared. Sorry.
Thanks for the welcome. I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread. I wish all the best for the struggles people mentioned. Nothing worse than problems for the kids and health problems.

Cando, no chance getting Carrie to behave! Hope to cause a little mayhem myself.
David

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, goodie, David's back! Hi, David.

Vickie you should prune Bridal Veil , right after it blooms! Otherwise it will get gangly and only bloom at the tippy-top.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Back twice in a day! looks like no one is home.
My take on global warming is that, while some experts disagree, 95% think it's a big man-made problem. I'm afraid we are wasting precious time arguing.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree, but you and I seem to agree on most things like that,, don't we. I wanted to write an article about global climate change three years ago and was told it was too controversial.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

I've been following the global warming argument in the editorial of Analog-Science Fiction & Fact magazine. There was an article a few months back blasting the data gathering at weather stations. But, this month people were coming back with how the data coming out of weather stations may indeed be compromised, but that is hardly the only scientific indicators of global warming. They mentioned the satellite photos showing melting of the ice caps, the northward movements of plant and animal species, etc. I think even I have noted the latter and I am functionally blind. Skunks were common here when I was young. Now, they are rare. It seems like the number of armadillos is on the increase. Like they are moving up from Florida to fill in the nitch the skunks vacated. I can't honestly say I miss the skunks. But, the armidillos moving up are more destructive than the skunks were. Kay*-

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Apparently goverments beleive in global warming. The northern Canadian ice fields are predicted to melt and open up a northwest passage thru the continent. Russia,US,Canada and other countrys are fighting for rights to travel thru this supposed passage.
I still beleive the weather is to iffy to predict either a warming or a cooling trend.
Armadillas are moving north in Okla too.I have problems beleiving all these weathermen were sending in false info. people talk too much for a large group to hide anything.
Carrie, Can't beleive your article was turned down. This is a more fun contraversy than a political one.Please don't tell me all conservatives beleive one way and liberals another about global warming.LOL
Dave, I'm afraid i have no faith the human population will gather together to do the right thing about global warming. Our track record is not that good. Please, someone prove me wrong!!!
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, Vickie, give us a couple hundred years and we might figure something out.

If we wait for a consensus among scientist, it will probably be too late. (Coming to a consensus in a timely manner isn’t the nature of that beast. LOL.) Okay, so things can’t be pinned down with absolute accuracy. We ARE talking about an incredibly complex system that is constantly in flux anyway. In my none-to-humble opinion, we should be attacking the problem from two fronts. That means we should be approaching the problem holistically at one end of the spectrum and treating obvious symptoms, at the other end of the spectrum.
I think about environmental issues the same way I think about my own health issues. My different doctors don’t agree on what is causing me to slowly lose vision and hearing. They’ve been debating it for years now. That doesn’t mean I have to sit around and wait to go totally blind and deaf. I use the above approach. The doctors told my family I would be blind by the time I was 21. Deaf, by the time I was in my 30’s. While I don’t reveal my age to anyone, suffices to say my 20’s and 30’s are only vague memories and my hearing problems are still only moderate. Almost entirely corrected with hearing aids. And I still have a small amount of vision in one eye. As anyone who is visually impaired will tell you, every scrap of residual vision makes a huge difference.
I know this approach to problems will work. You don’t need to have precise measurements and exact figures to use it. (Although, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I do Love my detailed facts and figures. LOL.) I do know they aren’t always necessary to problem solving, however. We shouldn’t get too hung up on them or we will delay too long. I’ve listened to the, “Climate change is all part of a natural cycle and humans don’t have anything to do with it.” school of thought. But, the hypothesis just doesn’t hold water.
Vickie, maybe we should hunt down that classic Texas recipe for armadillo chili? LOL. Have you read anything about the old tale that armadillos can carry leprosy? Do you think it has any basis in truth? J. freaks every time she sees one.
Carrie, do you still want those Fairy Bells? I’m digging some out of a bed where pink just doesn’t work. I hate to toss pretty and perfectly healthy plants into the compost pile if I can find them a new home. Dave, some chaos and mayhem is healthy. I don’t think Creativity and Creative Problem Solving can live where things are too neat, orderly and predictable. Sow all the mayhem, you want. Everyone here knows how to weed, if they don’t like what comes up. LOL. Kay*

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey guys I just popped in to see what was going on and I have an opinion on global warming and it is that the Good Lord does what he wants. I will say it the only way I know how. He said it would not be pretty in the end. Period.

Either I am too dumb to be worried or I just Trust my Lord. I know there will be changes but he said there would be. I just hope I am gone when the worst happens. But I am not a very smart person politically or scientifically so I just kind of ride the storm out, whatever will be, will be. I am not trying to be a smart alec that is just how I feel. I am trying to do things for a cleaner better environment and all but I do not let it worry me.
However, for those of us who live on opposite sides of the USA there may be a boat ride or plane involved when we ever get around to visiting or meeting each other.LOL So we might need to hurry up and get that done. Have a good night everyone. Love ya'll. scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Everyone, i vote we all get together and nominate Kay for President.Also get everyone else in the senate. Except me.I have no common sense.Would'nt take the job anyway.I'd get thrown in Federal prison for kicking one or more of those already there senators.LOL
You're right scraps. God will take care of the problem himself.But gee, I just want to get a little of my 2 cents worth in myself.
Think i'll drive scraps. But wait why don't everyone meet up here at my house. You can't fly but theres one place a mile from here a helocoter can land.Just give me some time to prepare.
Jim i picked up some ARK liturature to send you.
Anyone else want any?
Night all
Vickie

Midland City, AL

I would like to say I don’t even consider that as a possibility, Scraps, because it would mean an end to chances for many people I care about who don’t know God. However, I have to admit your theory could be valid or I couldn’t call myself Christian. I certainly don’t think considering that as a real possibility reflects poorly on your intelligence. There was a review of a book called something like, “What I believe, But Can Not Prove in the magazine Kay mentioned in her last post. The book is a collection of essays by people the compilers considered the best minds around. Many of those minds belonged to scientist. The book makes you realize how much of science is based on a shared belief system and that scientist are far from the totally analytical beings they are portrayed as. I have an extremely well educated, highly intelligent uncle-in-law who believes the world as we know it will end in 2012. Is he a well-educated fool? Ask me in 2013, if we’re still around. Lol.
Most of us still talk about climate change like it is an abstract concept. The way we talk about philosophy or something. It has become more real to me since living in Zone 8b. 8b-9a are like transition zones from temperate to tropical. I think changes become obvious in transition zones and at the extremes sooner. (As Vickie pointed out, the changes are very in-your-face in the arctic. (It would be interesting to hear from someone in the arctic to temperate transition areas.).
Since I’ve moved down here, I’ve seen real rage directed toward Atlanta from points downstream on the Chattahoochee River because of the water use rights and how badly the river is polluted in its passage by the city. I’m afraid if we don’t handle climate change right it will not be humans vs. nature. But, in the end, humans vs. humans. You only have to look at the “water wars” that have taken place out west to see how bloody battles over basic resources can be. People in Atlanta say “We have a right to have pretty landscapes around our houses. Our property values will drop if we don’t handle our landscapes in the NORMAL ways.” Meanwhile, people downstream, say Lake Eufaula or one of the lakes along the Chattahoochee, are saying, “Whoa! You are causing OUR property values to drop by keeping up those water-guzzling landscapes and other irresponsible water use. The water you are taking out of the Chattahoochee means the water levels in our lake is dropping. We bought lake front property and the lake is receding. Then, there are the farmers downstream who are losing their irrigation sources. You can find that anger all the way down to the Gulf, where the oyster beds are allegedly being affected and there are those whose livelihoods are hooked up with those oyster beds. Scientist may still be arguing about hotter or colder. But, as far as I know, they all agree our future will be drier. This isn’t just going to be an issue in water poor states. Neither Alabama nor Florida nor S. Georgia can be considered water poor. It is ALREADY an issue here!
I think I understand what Kay is saying. (I’ve known her for 40 years. I’ve become reasonably fluent in Kay-Speak. Lol.) I guess getting people to see the practical beauty in a well xera-scaped yard and getting realtors and bankers to understand what a well xera-scaped yard is (lol) would be what she calls approaching the problem “holistically.” Helping people who are in financial trouble because their livelihoods are dependent on a healthy Chattahoochee/Apalachicola River system would be an example of the “other end of the spectrum”. Unlike Kay, I’m still open to the “Climate change is a natural fluctuation that has little to do with human activities” theory.
F.Y.I. I had to educate myself to restore peace to the kingdom so I thought I would share. Only about 5% of armadillos carry leprosy and leprosy is not that contagious. If you don’t have a pet armadillo that you hug and snuggle, armadillos present very little health risk. With all due respect to Texans, though, I think I will pass on the armadillo chili. Lol. (Jim).

Okay, Vickie, I’ll accept the nomination, but you have to be in charge of National Health Care. Carrie will be in charge of the treasury. Jim will handle national security. Steph will have to be vice-president because she is so down-to-earth and likable. (I can earn people’s respect, but I’m not the most likable person in the world.) I will need Steph to keep up the public opinion poll ratings. Sheri will, of course, head up the Wildlife Protection agency. We will have to put Bonnie in charge of the Department of Labor. (Anyone who can inspire a teenager to do real work is GOOD! Leaf can head up some independent overview committee to keep us all honest and walking the straight and narrow. We will have to ask Katiebear to be our Foreign Affairs expert and head the Diplomatic Corp. I will leave David's new political appointment to you, Carrie. You’ve known him longer. Who have I missed?
I think we should make it a law that no one can run for office unless they tend a garden. That would eliminate the true egomaniacs. Having Mother Nature smack you down from time to time keeps one humble. Maybe, it should be they have to have been gardening for, at least, a decade? Or, is that too much? :-) Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, that was perfect, Knew we voted you in for a purpose. My first act will be to require all doctors,nurses and hospital personal to a 2 year study plan with herbalists and native American medicine people. To put a little common sense back into the medical industry. Medical expenses will be regulated by medicare,or leaf.
Steph will be a good vice president.You'll have to keep an eye on her for going fishing too much tho.Of course she could take a computer with her. I think you're wrong about being liked tho. We all like you.The people that don't like you are'nt inportant enough to matter anyway.
Carrie is perfect for treasurer.I'd love to see someone just try to corrupt her.
Sherri, I can just see her out on a ship going after anyone threatning those poor old whales.
Bonnie could also be responsible for teaching those teens good work ethics.
The first thing Leaf can do is clean house in the senate.I vote she wear an apron.
With Jim in charge i will definately sleep better at night.He don't have to wear an apron.
Katie will do good. She will get along well with the Arabic countrys by showing them how to garden in arroyos(SP)
David is Carries to decide.
Gardening for 10 years is definately not too long.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh, Oh (waving hand & jumping up and down) I want to also study native American & herbalist treatments. Just aim me toward my teacher of ship whichever comes first. ^_^

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Oh My where to start. I do not think I could pass the background check.LOL. I will afterall have my SIL"s body in the closet.LOL. Just read the last post on the compassion thread Katiebear has us starting a group called the granny goons. LOL then I jump over to this thread and I have been nominated VP. I had just ask someone else to tell me something fun. I think it is so very funny to go from granny goons to VP so quickly. I got suspended from 9th grade 5 times for fighting. I have never been in trouble with the law or anything but I avoided them well during my divorce when I went alittle crazy and got tipsy a time or two. But I do not like to get my picture taken like Sarah Palin. I hate how being overweight makes me look. I also hate to dress up like first ladies and such so I would be attracting alot of negative attention in my jeans or cut off jeans.
I would also like to get in on the Native American and herbal treatments classes because I think it is very interesting but do not know much about it.
I love all the nominations and think you chose well in putting birdie over Wildlife Protection becuase she does love animals. Vickie, does the VP get a really sweet healthcare package ? Well, I need to go take meds so I can sleep.

Oh, I forgot I hope the storms that came through here slow down some before they reach any of you guys. There was a bad tornado over on the west side of Ms where 4 homes destroyed completely and 30 damaged. goodnight.scraps

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I am so humbled to have been with the group such a short time, and have been nominated to oversee the teeager's work projects. I am certain that it does not work with all teenagers, just my very own DGD. However, I do have a back ground in administrative work, so maybe can work out a deal that I can immediately pick out 10 and make them cabinet members, and hope that I have chosen correctly. They will be doing all of the work, and I hope that I can avoid the riots and uprisings. They can maim each other, and I will still be standing strong after the battle over the nicest assignments!!

I still expect to get a cushy compensation package, simply because I will talk the teens into not attacking you, or taking you prisioner. Sounds like a big mega package of health care will be appropriate for all of us!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow! This is some of the best conversation I've experienced on any internet forum.
The practical thing is, there is nothing we would do to prevent global warming that is not good for us. Less CO2 is good no matter what, less dependence on foreign oil is good no matter what,etc., etc., etc.
So, while we can debate, what is there to lose by addressing global warming? It is only a transitional problem of converting from CO2 to green methods. Even if 95% of the scietists are wrong, we would still have cleaner air, a more stable economy, and we stop sending money to countries that help fund terrorism.

Once, 95% of scientists agreed that smoking causes cancer and 5% disagreed(mostly 5% funded by the tobacco industry). That's what I think is going on now. But even if I'm wrong, the cureis good for us.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Got so into my soapbox speach, I forgot to mention that I will gett to see Carrie in person in an hour or so!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

David, David, I know, Secretary of Health Education and Welfare. Gotta pack so David and DH and I can rendez-vous.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie and dave I hope you have a good visit. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Goodnight scraps

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Goodnight scraps, goodnight Carrie (really enjoyed meeting Ray & seeing you again), goodnight John-boy

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hey i'm still awake! Have had an exciting weekend as in MAY YOU LIVE IN EXCITING TIMES. am glad it was nothing like Miss and ALA exciting.I got fed up at things here at the house and went camping all by my self in my car.Next time i take my dogs. I injoyed it. I camped by a creek but high enough not to get flooded out. Been a long time since i camped out like that and i plan on doing a lot more. Yes it rained and i could'nt start a camp fire. Ate potatochips and cokes. This campground had the same wildplants i do and i have alot more rocks here.Except the rocks they had were about 3 or 4 storys high.Mine can be picked up by hand.
All right! Carrie and David are having their first cabinet meeting Knew i'd picked the right people.
scraps, You have already passed the qualification tests. The body can go where all the Washington bodies go....In the Potomac river.
Do you know of any law that says granny goons cannot be in government. I suspect there are alot of them already.LOL We need a scrappy(No pun intended) VP. Did you win the fights in the 9th grade? Wonder how many Joe Biden had back then. As for your looks. We will start a new trend. Hefty is in and skinny is out. David will be in charge of research for good common sense healthy diets not skinny diets. BTW all of you listen up, David is in charge of healthcare as head of HEW.I want health care for all too. Whadda ya say David?
David you are so right. IF ITS GOOD FOR EVERYONE LETS DO IT.
Did you read awhile back that cows belching was helping global warming? Should we ban Milk,beef and cows?LOL Sorry David, I just could'nt resist.I've been laughing about that for weeks.
Miss Defoecat, You mentioned being so humbled in one paragraph and wanted a cushy package in the other. You are definately a seasoned politician. ROFLO. you're in. But your job description has changed. You're in charge of keeping an eye on the competition.
Goodnight Dave, Goodnight all,
Vickie

Thumbnail by cando1
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ray (my DH) says I need some corrupting and that we need a Secretary of State. I say what about Katie and he says the SOS cannot permanently live abroad. David, it was very nice to see you again too!

Before I posted on this thread, I had to go find out about Granny Goons. LOL. I do love the way Katiebear’s mind works. Maybe, we should replace the C.I.A. with the G.G.’s. We could appoint Katiebear as head of that. She could set up an underground law enforcement service of Granny Goons throughout the world.
Uh-Oh. Background checks. I didn’t stop to consider that. Do you think the fact that I was once known as “the compasionate cannibal” would be a problem? LOL. I once bit a man who broke into my apartment. But, he was only 19 and obviously a very confused young man. People thought it odd I was capable of both feeling pity for him and unapologetically taking a bite out of crime. :-) But, we could take the same approach to dealing with my biting habit that Clinton did to his marijuana use. Remember how he admitted he did smoke a joint once to be sociable, but didn’t really inhale. I could defend myself by saying that while I did indeed bite some people in the past, I never chewed or swallowed. Thus, I’m not really a cannibal. And, we will emphasize the COMPASSIONATE part. With your former fighting experience, you can logically explain to people why I’m a biter. (With my spider-y hands, if I tried to hit someone, I would just shatter the bones in my hands and wrist.) Between the two of us, we could make a clean sweep of the “hawk” voters. The “dove” voters could be a problem, however.

Legitimizing and teaching about herbal medicine definitely sounds like a winner to me, Vickie. I was just reading how few plants have actually been tested for medicinal properties and how many are going extinct before we even know what potential health benefits they might have. In the case of the rain forest, many plants are not even named or cataloged yet. German doctors routinely prescribe herbs as well as pharmaceuticals. I don’t see why the American health care system is so resistant to the idea.
A package is on its way, Carrie. As this country’s future treasurer, I think you should think about replacing the monetary exchange system with a plant based exchange system. I mean, we’ve been using terms like lettuce and green-backs for years. We could make it literal. The presidential staff could be paid in fairy bells and canna lilies. Bonnie would have to be paid in rarer flora, I suppose, since she will be dealing with teenagers. What is called “hazard pay” in the military. LOL.
Jim found an enormous black snake under the deck yesterday. A local police officer came and took it away. He teaches a safety class to school children that deals with snakes. He collects them to show his classes. We were talking about how wildlife protection groups seem to focus the public eye on pretty animals. I mean, I’m all for protecting the rare and beautiful snow leopards, but what about homely critters like manatees? I was asked what I would do if I was told a species of snake in this area needed protecting. Uh-h-h, that’s a tough one. Kay*

You know the Bible said that everything that God created was good. Says that in Genesis, but for the life of me, if I spent my entire life time studying this issue, I doubt I could find the good in snakes, skunks, possums, rats, and several others that don't come to mind right now. Yes, I am supportive of protecting wild life, but first, I need to know the benefits of some of them.

Hazardous pay in my instance would be as many daylilies that I could have. I don't know how many different ones there are, but I would like at least one of each!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Snakes eat mice and rats and other nasty stuff. Doesn't make me like them.

I agree with that, but what is the skunk's purpose in life?

Midland City, AL

I wonder if it would really damage "the living web" if only the poisonous snakes went extinct? Those are the only snakes I actively dislike. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL! There are no snakes in Ireland and they seem to manage ok without them.Here's to the Irish!!! Poisonous snakes are the only ones on my hate list too.
Bonnie, I can't comeup with a good use for skunks.Sheri had one for a pet and said it was very lovable.When we camped out in the wilds of Okla. There were a pair that came along everynight about 10 pm. We kinda ignored eachother and they ate whatever scraps i put out and we got along fine. wish i could say the same for the mama coon and her youngins. She stole a jar of peanut butter and opened it and ate it all. Peanut butter is my main camp comfort food.
My plants still have'nt been dug and mailed but they will be.Things have not been going smoothly here.I have now a small garden plot and hope to get some plants Friday.It's been too cold for anything to grow but a warming trend starts tomorrow.
Had group therepy this morning and injoyed it.Tomorrow will work outside again.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey guys,

Vickie, is that true that there are no snakes in Ireland? I have never heard that. That is a very interesting bit of trivia. I should take time to look it up but I figure it would be easier to ask. Afterall, I have admitted my brain is mush. Being funny here but the good that skunks do in this old world is they are great gifts for people treating you rotten. Gotta run BBL

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thats what i've read scraps, A fable says Saint Patrick played a flute and led them all out of Ireland. But actually they never had snakes to begin with.See never know when a useless bit of trivia comes in handy.
What a wonderful gift idea. Now where can i find a loose skunk. You need one and Kay needs one.LOL
Vickie

Hey, they actually sell skunk scent. It is suppose to be used by hunters to cover human scent. I bet Scraps has hit on its true purpose, however. LOL. It is about $8 a bottle for anyone who is interested. :-).
Nadine is still friends with Stinky, the skunk who lives behind the launrymat by her apartments. She still brings him treats from the restaurant where she works and he still walks her home at night. She says with a skunk walking a few feet behind her, she can walk the mean streets of Meridan, CT alone in the wee hours with no fear. LOL.
Speaking of scent, will you keep an eye out for that lemon-scented daylily, Bonnie. I'm after that one.
I will start putting the extras of Amargia's best shade plants in old nursery pots, Scraps. I could drop you off a truckload late this summer when I head up Vickie's way. I have 'Pride of Mobile' growing at the edge of the woods where it gets no supplemental watering. They are doing well there. Would you like some of those? I want to make room for more of the fragrant varieties and just get more plant diversity here, in general.
Vickie, Jim likes the 'Purple Knight' alternanthera and the dark-leaf coleus you sent in his little foliage garden area so much I planted more today. The guys have agreed to more pink flowers to counteract all the darkness. The background wall is even painted black so it is in danger of becoming sort of opressive. The guys like it though. Maybe, it's just one of those guy things you have to learn to live with. LOL.
There is a plant swap coming up in a nearby park on May 8th. Have any of you been to one of those? Kay*

Kay, I will keep that in my mind, and if I happen across the lemon scented daylily, I will make a valiant effort to get one to you. I have several fragrant ones, but sometimes, even if they are advertised as fragrant, you have to have your nose touching it to smell anything. I suppose the most fragrant one I have is Chorus Line, and you can smell it clear across my garden, and my garden is sizeable.

Thanks, Bonnie. I will definately put Chorus Line' on my 'want' list. I didn't know there was more than one fragrant daylily. You can learn something new every day around here. LOL.
I will have to become a writer and move to Ireland. I've heard writers don't have to pay taxes there. No snakes and no taxes. Sounds like paradise! Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I did'nt know there was a fragrant DL either.Guess i'll have to go smell all of mine to make sure i don't have one.I'll bet it costs an arm and a leg.
Kay, There are some elephant ears that are white with pink veins.They would look really good with those dark colors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.