Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

Wow Debra that is beautiful. What kind is it? You have the prettiest pictures. I love flowers.
I stained a rocking chair and a small table today among other chores that had to be done. Lots of laundry for one, quite a few dishes and cooked 2 meals. Then watered my yard where I am trying to grow some grass. I hate the fact that I can grow grass so well in the flowerbeds but not in my new yard. How ironic.
I am tired but wanted to say hello. Hope you all have a great day tomorrow. Love and Prayers, scraps

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is a hollyhock. Planted five in mixed "barnyard" colors, experimenting with them in this climate. Have a nice vivid pink just now opening, and two more in bud. Will have to wait to see what colors they are. My grandmother didn't go in for flowers much, but had hollyhocks, iris, peonies, and lily of the valley on her farm. I loved going to her house and I'm slowly trying everything she had to see if they will grow here in remembrance of her.

Sounds like you had a productive day. Isn't it funny that the grass will always grow where we DON'T want it? LOL

Bonnie, I am like you in that I don't take, or really want sympathy. It is too often facile and superficial. Empathy, now, that's different. All of us here share something that most people never have the insight to deal with, and the understanding that brings can't be bought. So I am happy to listen to a little moaning and groaning from you, or any of the rest of us, until you, or any of the rest of us, are ready to hitch them britches! Because I know you would do the same for me. And my turn's coming, believe ME! LOL Thank you...

Debra

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

And Debra when it comes, I will listen and probably won't comment much, but know in your heart that I am cheering for you, and for all of us really. We can empathize when one of us it hurting, or can lift them up and cheer them on, when they are having a good day. That's what friends do.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I love Hollyhocks, but I've never been able to grow them. I think if I ever get the brush cleared out of the downhill side of the house they might do well there. Good day to everybody - it's lovely here in MA, although I'm still waiting for a call back from my neurologist!

Midland City, AL

Kay’s been trying to get me to plant some seeds, but I haven’t felt like doing much. Thanks for the inspiration, Debra. I know there are some hollyhock seeds in the seed bank. I’m going to get some of those in the ground. One is called ‘Charter’s Double Magenta’ and the other ‘Old Fashion-Pink. I’ll try both so the ladies don’t have to trouble themselves sneaking in the pink ones later. lol.
The jasmines are in bloom! When they bloom and overlap the last of the magnolias, they create my favorite ‘scent-scape” as Kay calls it. The jasmines have a crisp, clean edge to their sweetness that appeals to me. Describing scent and taste is hard. I still can’t quite capture them in words the way DW does. The fragrance makes me think of lying down on cool linen sheets on a summer night. That is as close as I can come.
The first fresh tomatoes of the year are almost ripe. Full size, but not fully colored yet. Peaches and blueberries are close to ripe as well. Plums are still only about quarter-size and green. The tree is loaded. I’m beginning to think I should have thinned the fruit some. For reasons we aren’t quite sure of, Amargia tends to run a couple of weeks behind the surrounding area. We suspect it has something to do with the way we are tucked in between three slopes and the nearby streams create a slightly cooler micro-climate. Harvesting the last of the dewberries and the beginnings of the blackberries.
We did some Three Cherokee Sisters plantings in tire rings. (Beans squash and corn planted together in raised planters created by removing the sidewalls from old tires.) They seem to be doing well. We have never had much luck with corn in the past. We just traded our fruits and herbs for our neighbor’s fresh corn in former years. Still experimenting to find ways to successfully grow corn organically.
Kay is working on a new planter made from recycled material for the w/c garden. It’s going to be an interesting one. But, I think it will work out well. Post a pic in a day or two. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Grrrrrrr. My tomato plants aren't even big enough to plant out yet! Can you say "short season?" I guess this is the last time I start from seed!! (No space for growing them indoors.)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Is it to late to plant Hollihock seeds?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

?? I do know they're biennials.

First off Happy Birthday carrielamont!! Hope you are having a good day.

I have hollyhocks, and I planted them from seed, and they are spreading everywhere. They are the Black Nigra, and a very very dark color. It does seem to have a purple tint to them, but the closest black flower I have ever seen.

Went shopping today and bought an entertainment center. I was in DH's pickup truck, and because they didn't have to deliver, and there was a tiny scratch on it, I got $150 off!! What a deal. It is pretty, a cherry finish.

Got the pool open yesterday, and have been monitoring it today to make sure all hoses etc are okay. Sometimes you don't know those things for a couple of days. So won't go off and leave the pump running, just to water my backyard.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Carrie, My Tomatoes are just blooming. Thats all right Carrie,When everyones tomatoes are all gone we'll still have some. ;)
Hollyhocks are a warm weather plant. Id plant them now but not wait any longer,Sheri.
I have'nt checked my dewberries in a couple of days but don't think they're ripe yet. I never had much luck with corn and now I don't think it'd grow in containers.
Kudos, Bonnie for the great bargain, Wish i could remember for sure if it was Ladybird Johnson that told of going around scuffing up some furniture in the White House cause she did'nt like perfect looking furniture. It needed a family look.LOL
We're having thunder showers off and on today.(muggy and hot) I was having trouble breathing today and turned the AC on the earliest ever.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, folks, for the sweet birthday wishes! I feel so loved on this forum!

Vickie, I don't like you to have trouble breathing. Should you go to the MD or are you SURE you're OK? And how do you have tomatoes that are blooming? I'm so behind .....

Carrielamont, you are loved, not just on this forum. I am sure that you have family and friends, and I hope a church family.

I turned on our AC over the weekend. DGD was here, and she doesn't like to open windows, so for her comfort, I turned it on Friday night. I like to have my windows open until I just have to close the house and turn on the AC. We are having temps in the high 80's this week, so it really does feel good with it on.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, You certainly are loved at home as well as here.
I answered this post but don't have a clue what happened to it. I probably pushed the wrong button.
This breathing problam goes with the territory of CHF. When it gets too bad i'll start using oxygen. I'll be going to the doctor for a good physical after the eye surgery.
Thats ok about tomatoes bloming late. We'll still have tomatoes when everyone elses has bit the dust.
I'd much rather have open windows than AC also.
Hugs all around.
Vickie

Vicki, I will start some tomato seeds probably in a week or so. They are called Late Keepers, and the claim is that you can pick them while still green (about the time of frost) and wrap them in newspaper, and you can have ripe tomatoes all winter, or at least till Christmas. Gonna give it a try, because it sure would be nice to have them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. I will try to let you know how this experiment goes. That is if I remember!!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy, Happy Birthday Carrie!!

Midland City, AL

Carrie, all the best on your special day.
You and Vickie also have the advantage of fewer insects and wild things that love tomatoes. The fact the tomatoes are nearly ripe still doesn't mean they will make it to the kitchen. Fenny stays outside most nights now so maybe whatever took a sample bite from mine last year will be too wary of her to come out of the woods this time around.
I will ask about your tomato experiment around Thanksgiving, Bonnie. If it has to do with food, I tend to remember. lol.
Hug that AC, Vickie, and be very careful. Your health problems sound very similar to those of one of Kay's sisters. She got into her parked car at the mall. Something about the blast of hot air when she opened the car door made her unable to catch her breath. Fortunately, another shopper noticed her distress. He helped her with her oxygen and called an ambulance. She ended up spending a few days in the hospital and considers herself lucky. Is your condition one of those that would be helped by being in a dry climate? I ran into quite a few people in NM who lived there for health reasons. They could handle heat, but not humidity. (Jim)
Happy Birthday, Carrie! (Photo: jasmine in bloom.)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the lovely flower, Jim, I can only imagine the scent. I think we're supposed to be here.

NEW THREAD:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101141/#new

This message was edited May 26, 2010 11:03 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

hi folks,

has anyone found a weeder you can use standing--not for deeprooted weeds like dandelions, there are plenty of those out there--for blades of grass or other, smaller weeds. appreciate the help.

r

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Reeter, excellent question, but please join us on the new thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101141/#new

We don't always stay on topic but I'm sure someone will have something to say to your question. (I'm not a stander myself, so I can't speak to it.)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

reeter, I have an electric weedeater i can use some. I got it at Walmarts. It wont do heavy weedeating but does good on the smaller stuff. There is no way i can pull a cord to start a gas one.
Hope this helps.
Vickie
Do come on over to the other threads and join us. We'd love to have you.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I am a "physically challenged" woman aged 64 and I have a little problem. I have a lilac bush that has been out in my yard for years. It is not growing any larger even though it appears healthy and I think this for lack of any sunshine. It is planted in a very shady spot. It is not possible for me to move it so I am wondering if it is possible to put grow lights outdoors? I have an outdoor outlet just about 7 feet from the plant. If this is possible then do you need a special kind of light? Must you protect the bulb from getting wet? Is "grow light" different than sun light? I did not know which forum to ask this question in so I am hoping that somehere someone can help me out.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hey Mable Ruth. Welcome and join right in. I have a lilac tree and it gets about 1/2 days light. It took several years before it bloomed. How long have you had it and how tall is it? I dug mine up as a 3' sapling.
Vickie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Well, i've posted a new thread. Would you beleive we have 222 posts on here.
When we started it, we were concerned about the cold. I'd love to have my dog pen full of snow right now.
We can go here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121489/

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you cando for the reply. This bush has been here for years and years. It used to be in a pot and a really bad storm knocked it over, breaking half of its limbs off. I pruned off the broken parts and kept watering it just for luck and it has come back to looking like itself again. Now it is in the ground but gets no sun - perhaps a little dappled shade. It had one bloom once and that is it. It is only about three feet high even after years of "growing". I really want this plant. As stupid as it sounds it has special meaning to me. I do not care if the neighbors think I am nuts or if the electric bill goes higher. I just want to find a way to make this plant work. Unfortuneatly I am old and disabled too so I cannot move it to a better location. So perhaps I should just find another love ! !

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a Lilac plant that looks like it has powdery mildew. I will dispose of it safely but I was wondering if it is safe to re-use the soil from this pot?

As far as I know all Lilacs are prone to powdery mildew. It is not harmful to the plant or it's surroundings, just an unsightly problem. I think the only advice I have heard as a remedy, is adequate air ventilation, and if it really bothers you that it looks bad, an insecticdal soap spray.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lilacs are very zone-dependent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.