Compassion for Handicapped Gardeners #10

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That's right, #10!!

I hope all of you find this quickly.

I'm stiff and sore this evening. I should never sit down as soon as I get home from work but I do to watch the news and eat supper. I seldom get home before 5. I always try to do any shopping, picking up meds, etc. after work so I can avoid extra trips to town. I get off at 3:30 which means I have been on my feet at least 10 hours when I walk out the door. I'm trying to cut down on meds but today I did take a 1/2 a Percocet right after lunch. That eased my discomfort until I sat down and got stiff. I'm now drinking an instant coffee with some hot choc. mix, evap. milk, and a nutmeg/sugar coffee topping I got for Christmas in it. Hopefully the richness and heat will help me to relax somewhat.

I haven't started the D-Ribose because of the $$$ involved. Over a dollar a day except at one site where it was so inexpensive that I felt a red flag being raised in my mind about the quality.

It was so nice and warm outside yesterday afternoon and today wasn't really all that bad. I'll know what tomorrow brings when it gets here. No matter, the birds will get to get loose tomorrow. They only get to be outside when I am home and the dogs are out much of the time. We have predator problems and they aren't safe being lose when I'm not home. It will be more difficult in the warmer weather. There is a small pen on one side of the building that I can make a string trap type of top for the chickens. Then I can let the pigeons and Moses peacock out for the day. Hawks are a problem with the pigeons too tho so I stand to lose all I have left if I let them out when I am not here. They may trap themselves in the string top to the pen tho so being in that pen isn't the best idea. Maybe I can get my son or someone to help me put a chicken wire 'lid' on the small pen so the pigeons can at least walk on the ground and fly a little bit in the pen. I can keep the other door to the building closed and they can fly around in the buildings as well. The hens can also get back inside to lay eggs. Such large plans.

My hands are getting some much needed therapy doing some sewing for the store. Some of the sewing is just a few stitches, some involves removing and replacing lots of buttons on garments. Tying the knot at the end of the thread is one of the hardest things to do. I have always wrapped the moistened thread around the finger next to the thumb and rolling it off with the thumb which results in a knot. Until recently. It now takes a lot of tries to get a knot.

I need to start getting ready for bed & stay on schedule.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
EvaMae

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Welcome Everyone to the forum. We started this forum to show each other some compassion when our aches and pains get us down.We all have various problems that interfer in someway when it comes to gardening and other activities. It just makes us feel better knowing that it is not always easy to get outside to plant and care for our yards and gardens. So we share a little compassion when someone is having a rough go of it. Just come on in and join us.

Evamae, Thanks for starting us a new thread. I am not smart enough to do it yet. Anything technical is beyond my little brain. I am so terribly sorry to hear about Sheri being in an accident. I will have to call and check on her. I am trying to keep my phone bill down to a reasonable amount but I will call for something that important. I have a teenager on my cell phone bill so it gets a little higher every time it seems. About your hands and the sewing, I am sorry that they are bothering you. My biggest problem is my back pain when sewing. For some reason it kills me to sit at the machine even long enough to patch something quickly. It just seems like the leaning forward a little is pulling at a muscle or nerve in there and it hurts so bad. It does it when standing but it is different somehow. I wanted to get outside today because the sun was shining and it was kind of warm but I had to meet my youngest DD at the dentist office. She chipped a tooth and needed a filling and needed me to bring money. The dentist office was about halfway between the college and home so it was about an hours drive for us both. I longed for the outdoors while driving and sitting there in the waiting room. She needed to run in the walmart for something so I went in the garden center and picked up a couple of cheap rose bushes that I just could not resist. I hope it will be a nice day tomorrow so I can get out there and enjoy it. I miss being outside so much in winter. Well, my meds are kicking in so goodnight all. Love and Prayers, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Katie, the French blue with cobalt glass accents sounds lovely! I'm sorry for everyone's aches and pains - particularly for Sheri. We can't afford to break, get bitten, crash, or other stuff like that! It hurts enough just to exist!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone!! I have mised you these past few weeks, but just could not muster up the energy to get online.
During my convalescence , etc God has done a refining in my spiritual life that is truly awesome.
I have stopped using my pain patches and am even using minimal amounts of my breakthru pain meds. I know my Lord has healed me and am so looking forward to my new life free from all of the strong meds that I have been on for years.
A friend has approached me about possibly volunteering as an advocate for some of the local youth who have family or other problems and need someone to help them.
I am very excited about what may come of this!!
I will be seeing a GI Dr on Fri. The found a "lesion" on my lungs and thyroid and also "something" blocking my esophagus. Swallowing has been very difficult for a couple of weeks now. This RN (as most do) immediately thought of the worst scenario. Thankfully some of my prayer partners reminded me of Who is really in charge of me and the plans that He has.
Update on Dogwood.....He's HUGE!!, and stil sucks on his tail!

Hugs and blessings to all my buddies,
Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sheri, I'm so thankful GOD has healed your body. I've been able to give up a lot of meds to the past month or so. Isn't it wonderful to be somewhere near normal for once?

Scraps, I'm sorry about your DD's tooth. And glad you could get some roses. It's hard to think of it being planting season when our soil is frozen solid and totally saturated with water. So when it begins to thaw it is going to be so muddy. But I will so thankful when I can finally play in the dirt again.

Carrie, good to see you.

EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Was so good catching up with everyone. Sheri,Think you need another gaurdian Angel, You're just too much for one.Prayers going out for you. Poor Dogwood, At least he has his tail for comfort if nothing else works.
My shoulders have been hurting this week.Alittle sunshine on them would do wonders.
We still have snow on the ground and more predicted. I went into town tonight. It was good to see civilasation. Bought some flower seed and strawberry roots.
Put out a couple of silk spring flower arraingements. Sure did help the looks of the living room.It needs a through cleaning with bleach and soapy water tho.
Carrie, I thought about you and your Cantata. Replayed your music again.It is good wakeup music to lift ones spirit.
Eva Mae. It IS hard to think of spring with all that snow on the ground.I know spring is coming tho and i bought some strawberry roots.I feel sure mine got froze.
Think i'm going to do a count down to March 4th. I know there will be signs of spring by then.
Everyone have a good day tomorrow that is kind to you.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Hi Everybody,

We have had two days of rain. A lot. Not torrential, slow enough to soak in, especially in my heavily amended soil. (A round of applause for myself as I realize direct benefits of hauling all that seaweed and shredding it and palm trees.)

The desert will be blooming. Everything already looks bright because all the dust got washed off.

The downside is a few leaks in my roof. Neighbors Dana and Tom also have some serious leaks. Tom is a contractor but the workers insisted they knew better than he did how to do it. Wrong.

I called a friend in LA last night. He's had a mysterdy health problem and has been in bed for several months mostly using his oxygen machine. He is depressed. Made me even more grateful to be getting better from the bitten ankle. I was getting seriously bummed after five weeks of limping around with chronic pain (I should say an additional chronic pain, beyond arthritis, etc).

Have been listening to George Carlin on Veoh. Some very funny stuff. I'm trying to cheer myself up enough to clean up the kitchen. Good luck on that one, katie.

One of the dogs, apparently alleergic to rain, pooped in the kitchen. I did clean that up. Good for me.

I can promise that spring is here and moving north so you will all have some soon.

Hang in with whatever is there. Thanks you all for being there.

hugs all around, katie

There is no "poor Dogwood" here at my house. He terrorizes (plays to rough) with my petite 9 yr old kitty girl but is great play buds with the 2.5 yr one. Since Dogwood was confined to the sunroom for his initial 3 weeks at oiur home he views that as his room. It is unheated which does not seem to bother my boy at all and he has his own litter pan and food / water dishes there. This is very handy as it gives the girls, especially Sara a daily and usually nightly reprieve from his stalking and gotcha games. He is very majestic with his white chest and I will post pictures soon.
I miss you all and am so blessed to have shelter, heat, food and precious furbies and friends to love.

Sheri / BirdieBlue

edited for spelling

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 10:36 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you realize we NEVER talk about gardening? That's okay, though, it's winter. Sheri, it's good to see you and Dogwood back! And Vickie, what a lovely thing to say about my composition! (I *think* technically, a cantata usually has more than one movement. I was just trying for an anthem.) But you are so sweet to listen to it!

mulege, Mexico

I'd tell you how my apple tree has buds on it but you might all get together and hire a hit person.. Spring really is coming.

Tony and I went to Santa Rosalia today. Mexican chores - buy a roll of hardware wire, pay the phone bill, get propane ($20 for two 10 kg tanks wich is over half f my heating bill for the winter) and - the worst - going to immigration to renew my resident alien status. I didn't have all the necessary papers and there was hardly a parking spot available in town due to some fiesta and whatever, so I have to go back next week. The man who is in charge there now is very unpleasant. Luckily, my papers are in order so his female assistant took care of me.

We have lots of work to do here but it was kind of nice to take the morning and do errands. Now I'm back to kitchen cleaning. Mutter, mutter.

katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Scraps has talked about her efforts to get her new yard planted in items from her old yarden. I've mentioned putting papers on the compost pile and finding confused daffs. Katie has mentioned working in her yard(I think). Not much we can do at this time. Unless you have a green house or live in the deep deep south where is almost never freezes or even gets really cold.

EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, At this point in time, I'm not sure i know what a garden is.It was'nt kind i like that music.
Katie, I can forgive the apple blossoms. I can't forgive the $40 For winter heating bill.Mine was $300. Just keep the kudo statements coming and you'll have all of us for neighbors. LOL Hope you don't have to renew your citizenship often.
i'll take back the poor Dogwood Sheri,How about spoilt baby. LOLOLOL
My poor kitty had a traumatic experience this evening. She came in dirty,wet and cold. I grabbed her up and wrapped her in a towel(she fought and meowed all the way) dried her off than rocked with her for a half hour till she settled down and gave her warm milk. She's still mad at me.She's also locked in.
Eva Mae, I still have snow on the ground.I can't stand it tho and ordered some seeds from Pinetree seeds.
Lemon basil,Salad Burnet,PennyRoyal,Petunias, Current tomatoes,strawberry spinich,Coleus,poppy,and Achillea. I may go ahead and plant them in purses(something i want to try for containers)and hang them in a window.I'll hire someone to help me plant them,or i may wait to get my eyes done till planting time when my Texas DD and SIL will come up for a few days.
Next month i'll order some more herbs.
Everyone sleep well tonight and take time to smell the roses in your dreams.
Vickie

I am saving plastic milk jugs and other containers to winter sow in minnie little greenhouses lots of seeds that have been shared with me by generous fellow DG'ers.

This will be a first for me and there is much excitement!!

I pray all are well.

Goodnight, sleep tight and happy faces in the morning,
BirdieBlue

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheri, winter sowing usually works; just make sure you have 4-5" of soil in there for them and lots of drainage holes!

Oh to see all of those strange and even unheard of little seeds *pop* up their little green heads!!
Hugs all around! I luv you all!!

BB/ Sher ^_^ ^_^

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Love ya back Sheri.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I didn't used to believe in seeds.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Course you did! You just thought you did'nt! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, the way you believe in Jack and the beanstalk, but I sure didn't believe that those pretty seed packets I kept buying (why? who knows.) had anything in common with the pretty flowers some people had in their yards.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, You are a realist. I'm an incurable optamist.Those flowers exist somewhere in a corner of some universe and it may as well be mine.
I have never seen my perfect garden,but it is there......is there.....is there.....
I am not an optamist when it comes to weather. I have snow on the ground,There is no doubt in my mind i will have snow on the ground in July.
Carrie,How do you survive Februry?!!!!
I made speggetti and tomato sauce and hamburger soup last night.The soup is to freeze.I'll make a salad to go with the speggetti tonight.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hearing pad and hot showers and lots of long underwear - and DG of course! But I was WRONG - pretty flowers DO grow from seeds!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL

mulege, Mexico

Yesterday was a bad day for me, pain-wise. I took a painkiller and got a little work done on the north arroyo. My neighbor and friend Dana came over and I gave her a bunch of succulent cuttings and she admired my outdoor plant room and my little adeniums and my two little schotia trees. And other things. Being complimented cheered me up. One of schotia trees will be hers when it gets bigger but she's only here six months of the year so I will hold on to it for awhile.

The pain never really stopped and I was exhausted (no one seems to talk about how tiring it is to be in pain) and I went to bed early, read a little and then passed out. Did not sleep real well due to pain from sores on my arms (a medical mystery).

That said, I will take the physical pain over depression. And I can recognise the depression primarily caused by the physical pain and deal with it better than the overwhelming non-physical depresion that is trying to kill me and has succeeded in killing two of my sisters and is keeping the third sister (and last sibling) drunk and alienated.

A couple of years ago I talked about this some on another thread and got lots of "helpful" (by this, I mean stupid) advice froma person who has serious codependency issues which were being nurtured by others on the thread.

But in talking with Dana it came up that we both had relatives who had committed suuicied and it has reminded me that this is still an issue for me. Not in the sense that I am at risk but sometimes the thought comes up. It's a lot like the thought of drinking and I can respond to the thought with a "yeah, that's a great idea, but not today, ok" and get on with watever.

My other coping mechanism is spending too much money, often on ebay, and I'm resisting that at least for this week.

For today, I'm doing some laundry and hanging in. No urgent tasks await. Tony may come to get his refrigerator which was mine until I got a new one. I don't pay him a lot but when I upgrade, his family upgrades.

It's on the cold side here, but no snow. My orange trees are starting to bloom.

Hang in, friends. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs all around, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh Katie, A big huge sloppy squeezing hug back.That's all i can offer except to say i know and i care.
I agree depression is the worst, cause you lose hope when it rears it's ugly head.Hope seems to be an undefinable quantity that is necessary for life. But Katie we know it will come back cause it always has before. My source of hope comes from my faith.I know God will not let go of me. I also know of the science faith of quantum physics. We are(every known particle of our being) a part of some universal all that is only a whole with us included in it. Our whole being is made from old stars made at the beginning of time.We are a part of creation that has always been and always will be.
But i truely wish i'd been given a few more feel good particles.For all of us.
Hang in there girl! We're either stronger or smarter than most with depression.
Geeze Katie my defence mechanism is spending money too. Last month i was thinking, I don't smoke or drink so i'm allowed to spend some for fun. I try to limit myself tho. mostly! sometimes! everyonce in awhile! W-E-L-L-L! At least you don't have a dollar General,Dollar Tree or Walmart at the foot of
your mountain!
Night all,
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Thanks, Vickie.

The pain in my arm lessened last night and I got the best sleep I've had in ages. That does wonders.

tony came and got his refrigerator so my kitchen is shaping up.

Yesterday I played with starting a trellis on my north wall where I have a bitter melon wine that needs something to climb on.

Today I see the nees for lots of in-house pick-up. Then I think a trip to the dump for tires for the north arroyo.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

DH has two days off! The first one we spent driving all over the place, now he is asleep. What a waste. I NEVER see him anymore unless he's asleep..... I'm going to have to cancel my OT appointment today because he doesn't want to "hang around."

katie, many gentle hugs your way. Dana sounds like a good friend to have.

mulege, Mexico

Didn't sleep much last night so I'm still waking up.

Got a start on the kitchen yesterday. The dogs made a hole in a fence so Tony hs been fixing that.

Got a lot of tires at the dump so I can continue making terraces on the arroyo. It isn't legally my land so I don't want it to look too good. With the tires I can make terraces and build up the soil. A little at a time. tony and I are discussing subtle ways to block access without having it look like fences.

While collecting tires at the dump I spotted some plastic bags which looked as if they were still full. They were; bags and bags of fancy wood chips for barbequeing. I took some to my friend Saul and gave some to Dana. Dana's husband is not as enthusiatic about "dumpster diving" but he has just borrowed a smoker so I suggested Dana tell him I found the chips while cleaning out my storage shed. That way he will use them.

Some of them were alder which is supposed to be good for lots of mushrooms so they will go on the north hill. I also got several plastic bags full of mixed chips from open bags. I don't cook outside much but I may use them to make biochar.

I'm out to work on the arroyo, carefully. Too little sleep can be hazerdous.

hugs all around, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Seems like i havent talked to you at all lately.(depression and stomach virus). Think i'm semi back to normal. Can't beleive i'm so weak.Will have to work my strength back up cause i'm gonna work outside next week weather allowing.
Went to the doctor today so of course i'm mad as a wet hen at the US health care system. Gripe #1 handicap parking...It's fine for people who have someone bring them and can wheel them into office. Not good for people who can drive but cannot walk well into office.Can't park next to door. A mistake was made as to when appointment was.Of course i had to have written down wrong time and not been told wrong time. Anything medicare does'nt pay has to be paid immediately. As if medicare pays nothing and you cannot be trusted to make payments or if you break your wrist you have to wait till your payday to be treated.Should i add we pay more for health care than any other country in the world. our health care is rated by the World Health Org as #37 because health care is not available to so many americans and we have an abnormally high death rate among newborns. Also we have more medical mistakes than any other nation.
Anyway have another app-ointment Monday.
Spent the evening playing Yahtsee with DD. The weather was so nice today. Warm and sunny. Part of tomorrow should be the same. Hope i can do somethihg outside before the rain hits. going to fix supper for DD and BF.
Katie sounds like you did good at the dump. I don't know of any dumps around that allow people to browse any more. I used to find clay pots galore. My DH liked to make things out of small peices of lumber he could find there.
Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Nobady has posted here in awhile. Must be spring.

How about compassion for a gardener with the flu/cold/virus/whatever from hell?

I got sick a week ago with what I thought was a one day stomach bug. I'm still sick. Have heard via the grapevine that this thing has been going around leaving some people flat on their backs for three weeks.

The main symptom, after oen day of stomach upset, has been a complete lack of energy. Since I have managed to cook for the dogs and read a couple of books I am counting my blessings. Tony was gone most of last week visiting a brother in Ensenada. I'm glad to have him back as it helps to keep me from succumbing to depression.

Our weather is lovely here right now so I have the door by my bed open. The schotia tree which is about ten feet away is blooming and it is a bird magnet so I am serenaded by happy nectar-sucing birds.

Life is good.

katie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello Katie, I am so sorry that you are sick and will Pray for your quick recovery. I have been busy in the yard and fishing with my hubs. Spring or fall are the only times I can go with him as i do not tolerate real hot or real cold weather well. I am glad that you are able to open the door and get fresh air and watch the birds. That would have to make one feel some better. We had a good day today with sunshine but a nice breeze. We fished in the shade of a big tree with birds a chirping. I truly enjoy looking around about as much as fishing. I love being in the outdoors. I have chores that are not getting done but it was nice to hear from you. Hope you feel better soon. Scraps

Katie,
I am so glad to hear from you. there was some concern for your safety when the recent earthquakes hit. I thought they were further west than you are...but still am grateful for yoour safety.
Flu bugs are a big drag. Heres hoping that you will soon bounce back and be even better than ever. enjoy that wonderful spring weather as summer can be a brute. Ahh, siesta!!

Blessings sweet bear!
Sheri

mulege, Mexico

Thank you for the responses. Helping me to stay sane. More or less.

I'm into the second week of this thing. Tired, then weepy, then energetic. My mind says it was ever thus and will never get any better.

Tony came in this morning feeling fine. I told him I hate him. He laughed. He had a mild form of this two weeks ago and seems immune. He stays serene and keeps me grounded.

I know this will pass but the process is challenging.

The good news is my organization work is moving along. I have found several of the books and craft items which had gone missing during the endless process of getting the house worked on.

One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.

The really good news is that I am not in a lot of pain. Mostly, I'm very low energy and my mind is going into weird places. Given that I've gotten several reports that his can last about three weeks I'm going to wait another couple of weeks before I panic.

hugs all around, katie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

“Compassion” somehow got off my thread watcher. Cando expressed her concern for you on another Accessible thread so I thought I would look over here just in case. Sorry you are sick, but relieved to see you posting again. Kay*

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hello everyone, I hope that nobody else is sick. Katiebear I am glad you are not in pain but I hope this will not go on much longer. I hate being so sick that the mind is not clear. When I had toxemia when I was pregnant I felt so out of it for a while. Just felt like the bed was spinning at times. I hate that feeling. I hope you continue to feel better daily. Love and Prayers, scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katiebear, So very glad to know you missed out on the earth shaking. That stomach flu bug probably made you feel like you went thru an earthquake. That bug went through here last fall. It was not fun.
The leaves have finally grown out and the dogwoods are blooming along with the redbuds. My lilac tree is full of blooms for the first time. The pear blooms did'nt get froze for the first time in 3 years.Violets are everywhere. hostas are coming up. Daylillys are a pretty green. I was sitting cleaning out one of my big containers, when a small grass snake slid out of the pot. My cat,Miss Kitty saved me and killed the snake.I know, It was harmless,but i hate snakes.
I've been having some sick High BP days. One of my DD.s came down today and will take a load off my sholders.
I receive 2 presents today from scraps and Kay and Seacanepain. It was like Christmas. Scraps sent a towel set and the gift from Amargia was some cannas,a holly seedling,and fairy bells.I now have about 40 large pots full of flowers.
Sheri, Has the VA medical care gotten any better?
Hope everyone has good dreams tonight
Vickie

Funny you should ask about the VA med care, Vickie. I just saw a new Dr yesterday, male. Even though he has an excellent reputation with other vets and Drs, lab, etc, I found myself getting all in a panic attack. He said that he will recommend a transfer to a female Dr. So now I expect to get nother foreigner who is nearly impossible to communicate with. I just hate to be "under the watchful eye" of any of them. This probably sounds paranoid, but I do have very legitimate reasons for being so very uncomfortable with them.
It is better than nothing, though and I do get my meds free..so......
Thanks for your concern.

mulege, Mexico

Good morning everyone. Glad to know we are all hanging in, more or less.

I slept about twelve hours last night I think. I'm feeling ok this morning. Will see what the day brings. The problem continues to be complete lethargy more than pain. Also mental foggieness. Tony and I have been working on landscaping the arroyos around the house. I have just enough brains working to know it's not a good idea to try to work on a steep rocky hillside while in this condition. It is frustrating s our weather is perfect and soon it will be too hot to continue working there. But better frustrated than in a body cast.

My first desert rose is blooming. I also have a fragrant jasmine by the front entrance to my house which is bloooming and filling the air now that most of the citrus are past the blooming stage. Lots of pin head size ftangerines, grrapefruit, etc. Also, small apples. The pomegranite tree is blooming, too. I have one wisteria which has survived here for several years. It hasn't bloomed yet but it's leafing out and growing rapidly. I have lost a lot of them so I'm happy that this one is staying alive and I try to be patient about blooms.

Both my arms have "mystery" sores on them. They are somewhat painful. I tend forget about them and then I find myself wondering why I feel so awful. Suddenly, my mind will scream, "It's because you're in pain!!!" Once I remember/recognize this I can do something and move on but I'm wondering if other people who deal with chronic pain do this. I don't want to focus on the pain all the time but there are times when it's helpful to remember that it is there and I'm not just wallowing in angst for no reason.

Time to try to move around alittle.

katie

Katie,
I can deffinately relate to being in pain so much that yu become almost desensitezed to it. then it finally screams out "feel it and acknowledge!!" Ugh, I hate that part...but guess it is some type of reality check...perhaps (JMHO)
pm here, think I'll go take a nap. I'm sure there aare much more and many more industrious things that I should be doing around the house, but I just don't feel up to it today. Besides, it's just me living in my clutter, so...

Sheri

Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey ya'll, Glad to hear from you guys. I know about pain too katie and sheri. It is a bad word. I think the pain is like a motherinlaw and just can't stand to see you happy.LOL. But I am determined to show the old devil that I am going to work in my yard if I want to. I will just scoot on my little rolling stool if I have to. But he is not going to win. I have waited years to get to plant flowers on this hill and by george I am going to do it if it takes the rest of my life.
Katiebear, I need a plant that can take dry shade in the heat of summer where my water hose will not reach. It is alot of trouble to water frequently but I can take a watering can and do it some. You are in a hot dry place so do you have a recommendation. I think Kay spanish blue bells but I have not seen any at the local nursery.

Sheri, did you tell me you liked trillium. I think I found some out in the edge of my woods. i am going to look up in plantfiles. But I thought of you anyway when I found them. I will move to rescue from mower if that is what it is. I have moved one last year and it survived but there is a group of maybe 5 or 6.
I had to take my brother to the ER tonight. He is an alcoholic and has a swollen esophagus( probably misspelled) and got choked on a piece of chicken breast. he vomited up most of it but thought there was more.they normally have to stretch his esophagus but they said they thought his hiccups were just making it feel like there was something in there. Anyway it was a busy night in the ER and for me alot of rushing and worring. I would literally give up flowers if I could make him quit and you guys know how hard that would be for me. I dream about flowers. Or landscaping my yard with millions of dollars to spend on them.LOL. I just took my meds so I better get off before I get any sillier. Love and Prayers, scraps
Edited to correct error

This message was edited Apr 17, 2010 1:01 AM

mulege, Mexico

HI Everybody. I'm still dealing with the flu or whatever it is.

Had a night which was not funny to me but will be to write about so I'll tell you. I have been going to sleep around nine or ten and sleeping very soundly. Last night was similar. I woke up at two having a weird dream about being overrun with ants. Discovered it wasn't a dream.We get these occasional migrations and this one was over the head of my bed. No Raid could be found. Finally got the vacumn and sucked up what I could, Switched my pillow to the end of the bed and went back to sleep. Woke up about an hour later with an URGENT need to go to the bathroom. Return of the stomach flu. Woke up this morning with more of the same. Must change the sheets. What a night.

I'd check out sedums or hens and chicks for your hot, dry spot. I plant bouganvilla, aloe and agave in my spotts like that but I don't think they would survive your winters.

God hlep you with your brother, scraps. Have you attended any AlAnon meetings? I've lost a lot of family members and friends to alchohol and was very close to losing my own life from it when I was able to quit almost twenty-five years ago. God's grace. I thank you for reminding me because after being sick for almost two weeks I was forgetting how blessed I am.

I might not get much work done today but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting drunk.

hugs all around, katie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.