January Weather - Part # 2

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: nothing like a new plant to perk up the winter doldrums!
Adina: dealing with government agencies seems to be a nightmare no where you live!!
BP: I believe that was Selma with Lotta. :o) I really like your photo of the barns. The one on the right seems to have two eyes and a wide-open mouth that is saying one of two things: "Brother, is it cold!!" or "Where did all these cars come from?" LOL
Ric: you guys and Wu will surely be glad when the snow/ice stops sliding off the roofs and making you all jump!!

I think Rann had asked how far down into Florida that the cold air reached. Rann, it went all the way down to the Florida keys. Day before yesterday the weatherman said that Key West had its 2nd coldest day ever recorded--which was 42F!

Photo from last summer: Europeana

Currently "feels like" 40F and sunny. Humidity is just 44% which is way dry around here.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 23F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Generally sunny. High near 50F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

With both of you right beside him, I'm sure! LOL

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
This old barn made me laugh.

The barn on the left looks like it is shocked because the barn on the right slapped it on the behind.

Ric, I hope you have a quieter hot tub than The Loud Woman has. I swear hers is almost as noisy as an air conditioner. But of course it's loud. Everything at that house is loud.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 12, 2010
73 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the SE

I heard somewhere that unless you keep your poinsettia warm all of the time, you'll get small flowers like this. This one is pink, it's not a problem with my camera. The plant is in the pot with the filigree design. The thick trunk in the Chinese pot belongs to one of DH's pachyforms.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is a freesia, but not the usual species.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is called chandelier plant. It's one of those mother-of-thousands kalanchoes and gets pretty scraggly, but I keep it for the flower.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's a beautiful day today! The bunnies have been playing outside all afternoon with no coats on. A week or so ago, they'd have come back in complaining about the cold, but we're all just a little less spoiled this week. LOL

Quote from Kelli :

The barn on the left looks like it is shocked because the barn on the right slapped it on the behind.

LOL Yes, it does!!!

It'll be chilly tonight, but tomorrow it is going to warm back up again, and then we'll be in a much more normal "winter" pattern for Houston - highs in the 50s and 60s, lows in the 40s, and lots of rain.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CST (5 min ago)
Temperature 61 °F 16 °C
Dew Point 34 °F 1 °C
Humidity 36%
Pressure 30.41 in 1029.8 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir N 350°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 28.9°F / -1.7°C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph

(Zone 7a)

Okay...this is how my whole day has been going...

I was wakened this morning around 10am by a cat paw being rudely pushed into my left eye. Isis, apparently, had decided I had slept long enough and she wanted to play. So, up I get and blearily climb in the shower. 10 minutes later I'm having coffee at the computer, which I promptly spill on the keyboard. After I get that cleaned up, Monty throws up on the carpet in the hall. Sigh. I clean it up and check on him to make sure he's okay. He is. Meanwhile, Isis is still following me around wanting to play. We play and I trip on the back of the couch, hurting my little toe.

I've had enough of playing. I go back to the computer and spend awhile talking to friends. Now, it's time for lunch. I fix lunch, a tuna sandwich and dump half of it on the floor. The cats were very helpful cleaning THAT up.

I give up. I watch TV for awhile and come back to the computer. I read up on the days events and then...

I read on DG that Marylyn has bunnies running around without coats. I'm picturing these bunnies like Lotta hippity-hopping through the woods without their pretty coats on! Oh boy...I need a nap...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ROFLOLOLOL

(Zone 7a)

Yes. I was laughing too when I finally figured it out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Celia, you poor thing... Tell Darrell to take you out some place nice for dinner, and then go to bed early. Tomorrow is another day!

(still LOLing...)

(Zone 3b)

We've had rain most of the day but didn't dampen our visit w/longtime friends/lunch.
M2Keep~Mt. Redoubt "alert" level is back down to normal. It had shown a brief period of renewed activity.
Love seeing the New River; I'd googled it and learned a bit more/history.
kelli~the chandalier flowers are gorgeous.
Marylyn~seems like good weather in your part of Texas.
kwanjin~what a day to remember, (or forget:))
hi to all I've missed.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Today was colder than yesterday. Had heavy fog this morning which then froze on the trees. I really wish I had my camera this morning cause it literally looked like an ice storm rolled thru overnight. It was breathtaking!! It's supposed to happen again tomorrow too. Hopefully I can get pics.

Now for bad news: Haiti had a 7.3 mag earthquake a few hours ago. It was centered about 10 miles from the capital. My former boss from when I worked at Powell Gardens now lives down there with his wife doing missionary work. I have no idea how close he is to the quake and won't know tomorrow. The situation down there is horrible right now. So keep the people down there in your prayers cause they sure are gonna need it!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuuu!!! I finally made it back! :D

Sally! My gracious No! I wouldn't live that close to the river! It floods too much! That's at Sandstone Falls in the New River Gorge, which is 29 miles from my house, but I actually live 3 miles from it. btw, I think the barn in back is 'kissin' butt'! :D And what a waste of metal! ;)
Mau, It's a board walk that goes out onto an island in the river. It also has a hiking trail on the island. It's best when there's not a soul around! :D
Kelli, Funny little Poinsettia! Neat-O! The unusual Freezia species is Beautiful! And that is a neat bridge. :)
Pepper, I heard about the earth quake...so sad. I hope your (ex)-boss is all right. I pray he is...They were talking about it on the weather chanell this morning & this evening on the history chanel they were talking about the New Madrid fault...and that's very close to you isn't it? They were talking about an earth quake there back in 1811 & many more before that. An archeological dig was done & they found that a really bad one was around 2300b.c. The one in 1811 was felt in NYC.
Kiska, Glad that Mt. ReDoubt has simmered down! I think he's been active enough! :D Did you find anything of interest about the New? It's very very old...3 million years, I think.
Ric, LOL! I'd be jumping too! And I can picture Wu jumping at least 5', because I know that Jack would! :D But glad that the HT is still workin' well for ya...must have been just Super! :D
Rusty, JuJu will learn just fine...you will have 2 well behaved pups! :D
Celia! LOL! Poor thang! I think I would have gone back to bed right off the bat! ;) More Great Bird Shots! Indeed! :D
Adina...Hope everything is straightened out by tomorrow! :)

Well, I think I will recline on the couch! We're getting company on Monday & even more on the 27th & 28th....Clean, clean, clean....so I'm tired, tired, tired!....

Nite All!

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

Moral support going out to those in the earthquake zone and their families.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Cloudy and 22° F this morning. It might get above freezing on Thursday!

Sharona.......You wondered how much snow fell here. The local paper published a map today showing snowfall totals for the area from Jan. 1 through yesterday. My little town wasn't listed but the town just a couple miles south checked in with an even 5 feet. That's pretty close to what I figured. Thank goodness the stuff settles or I'd be neck deep!

kwanjin..........Sounds like you are having quite a day!

Billy...........We have one of those barns with a face near here. I'll have to photograph and post it. Maybe we can start a Barn Face thread. :-)

Ric..........Some warmer temps sure will be nice. Even the low 30's forecast for here will be a big improvement.

Rann.........the bunny on a leash is just too funny!

Photo.........My backyard.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more.......

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Today's the big day! I'm going to the job interview later this morning :-)

Still mild here, 43°F / 6°C feels like 35°F / 2 °C. Wind from E at 17 mph / 27 km/h. Cloudy but dry.

Mau - it was actually Hildur Eva cuddling Lotta ;-) Thanks for the info :-)

Sally - thanks! That barn made me laugh too :-) Looks to me like "she's" singing opera ;-) lol

Kelli - nice photos :-) That bridge also reminded me of a Roman aquaduct! :-) You have so many interesting plants! They're all beautiful :-)

Celia - the Hoya looks good .... really nice foliage :-) Hope today will be problem free :-) LOL on the coatless bunnies hopping around ;-) lol Actually, Lotta could use a coat ..... she's always cold when the girls take her outside ;-) lol

Marylyn - glad to hear it's finally warming up there too :-)

Ric - yes it did look like Spring thaw ..... which is something we really don't see that often .... I was really amazed to see how thick the ice was! We very seldom get such a cold spell that lasts that long over here ..... most of the winter we fluctuate between freeze and thaw with the mess that comes with it ;-) Which is partly the reason the girls had never walked accross a frozen lake before ;-)

EB - beautiful! Wow, 5' of snow is hard to imagine ....... they're used to it up north, but we here in the south never see so much snow ...

I woke up to the news of the earthquake in Haiti ...... an Icelandic rescue squad is flying down there later this morning.

Hope you all have a great day! I have to go get ready for my interview :-)

Here's another photo from Sunday:

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Here's a closer look at the frozen waterfall ....

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! We're still rather chilly this morning...
Clear: 19°F
Feels like: 12°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 16°
Humidity: 86%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 5 mph W
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:27 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Rann, Good Luck! :D I still have my fingers & toes crossed! LOL! Great ice shots...I think that's the only way that ice is pretty! ;)
E_B, I know that's an awful lot of snow, but it's so pretty! I hope you don't mind, but I have put the 'road in snow' as my desk top! :D
Sally, I meant to tell you....Love the Christmas decorations! Gorgeous!
Celia, I certainly hope that you wake up to a much better day, today! :)

Have a Great Day! All! :D
Joey

(Kiska! Look what I found on NG! Matanuska Glacier Cave!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I took this pic last night and sure it cute one that Juju look at my camera and just perfect pic...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Another one:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Good Morning Everyone!! I wrote a post yesterday afternoon and it's non-existent. Oh well. Love everyone's pictures, thanks for sharing! Found out yesterday that the State is cutting our office's budget, but I don't know any particulars, we're not supposed to get raises next year either. Seems I'm going to start going through the same thing DH Dave already went through.
Rusty and Juju are so cute! That pup is growing like a weed! Way too cute.

Well I've got to get to work here, hopefully I'll be back later today.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

JuJu is starting to show some traits of how gorgeous she'll be as an adult.
Excellent pics Rusty!

E_b Lovely!
Bet seeing it gone will be lovelier for you....lol!

Rann that's some pretty country.
I just love her Hat!

Well Great News People!
It was warmer in Des Moines by 17° than here this morning.
A have to assume it was warmer at Bernie's than here also.
So the warmer air will soon be on most of us.
We should be well above freezing today..... 40's to near 50° in the long range.....!!!!
We've gone from 10° this morning to 22° in two hours!
Looking at breaking freezing by about 1 PM.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

I'm having a much better day, so far...

The good news from yesterday is I got the old caulk taken out from around the tub and new caulk in. Darrell got a leaky pipe under the sink replaced.

I can't wait until we get the bathroom redone. The tile is Avocado green. Blech...

Rann, those a great pics. I love the waterfall.

Joey, thanks for sharing the ice cave pic!

Ric, it's still too cold. Me? I'd stay in the HT.

Crissy, things are looking up for you?

Juju is perfect!!!

EB, I love your snow pics.

26.0 °F with 38º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 26 °F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 21 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Steady)
Visibility: 1.5 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 100 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun ......... 30° and climbing..... lol!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, It now 47* and climbing to be nice mild sunny today!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad you're having a better day today, Celia!!

I'm praying for your interview, Rann.

It's going to be nice today, but tonight it is going to start raining, and it won't stop until Sunday. I should have gotten the girls up early and gone to the zoo!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CST (47 min ago)
Temperature 52 °F 11 °C
Dew Point 44 °F 7 °C
Humidity 74%
Pressure 30.41 in 1029.9 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling 25000 ft 7620 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 33.1°F / 0.6°C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the evening, then a 40 percent chance after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

(Zone 7a)

Rann, I'm a slacker!!! I forgot to wish you good luck. So...GOOD LUCK!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

47*F/no rain so far this morning here in this part of Washington. Time to start packing~flying back to Alaska tomorrow. We've already had huge box of "Christmas and shopping" barged up. Will travel light tomorrow.
kwanjin~glad the day is better than yesterday. Great project to be doing.
M2Keep~The New River info was very interesting; from being the oldest river in NAmerica, to flowing South>North, and of course, the Bridge Day event. The pic of the Matanuska Glacier makes me homesick:)
ric~up, and up; hope the temp continues to rise.
Good luck, Rann. Loved the sights of Iceland.
Marylyn~h
Rusty~JuJu is so sweet-thanks for keeping us posted as she grows up.
Marylyn~seems the trip the zoo will have to wait awhile. Do you go often?
crissyr~hopefully your job will be ok. Such a stressful time, though.
E_B~love the snowy photos; very nice.
The greenhouse/nursery here in Yelm. We've bought fruit trees for DD from here.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad the trip has been so much fun Kiska!
Have a safe trip home to the Frozen North.

Well we are at the hottest temp we've had this year.... 36°
Last time we broke freezing was in the AM on New Years Day!
40's going out 10 days now!

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! It seems several people had connection issues on DG, must be something ...but it's working now!
I'm in a hurry, DD is leaving tomorrow, so we are packing and go to bed early.
The translation is ready and good this time!LOL
They say it'll snow tonight and the temps are going down. Still the snowdrops started to bloom.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I can't resist showing you this : DD showing her belly!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Houston has a nice zoo (not up to the Columbus or San Diego zoos' standards, but not many zoos are!), and my sister bought us a yearly pass (yayy!), so we go quite often.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Send her our Best Wishes Adina!
Great picture!

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Awww... what a cute tummy! ^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Houston Zoo rates in the top 10 in the country in many polls.
I actually like zoos rated by type.
Urban (Bronx, Cincinnati, Lincoln Park, etc.),
Open (Large area, San Diego, Columbus, Los Angeles, Houston )
or
+ Botanical Garden,
Aquarium, etc...

It's a much more fair way of doing it.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelli; enjoying the flower pics--that must be why my poinsettias don't have larger "flowers"--they aren't consistently warm. Pretty freesia; interesting chandelier plant
Marylyn: maybe you and the bunnies will get to go to the zoo next week. We are supposed to get rain on Saturday.
Celia: re: your bad day--here's a book for you: http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Terrible-Horrible-Good-Very/dp/0689711735
LOL nice pics of the birds in the snow
Pepper: I heard about the earthquake in Haiti when I turned on the news this morning. I hope your friend is okay. The news people were saying that the biggest need is for hospital ships and after that, water and food. It's a mess down there! :o((
EB: your snow-covered yard is gorgeous! Looks beautiful from here but glad we don't have that kind of snow down here.
Rann: Whoops! I must have missed the photo of Hildur Eva cuddling Lotta--I thought she was talking about the photo of Selma with Lotta on the leash. Hope all went well with the interview today!
Joey: that's the secret to keeping a clean house--invite people over!! Hope you have recovered from your cleaning frenzy. LOL Love that photo of the frozen cave!
Rusty: JuJu appears to enjoy having her picture taken. :o))
Kiska: have a safe journey home!
Crissy: Not knowing whether your job is secure sure makes for some stressful times! Hang in there!
Ric: hope you get some warmer weather soon. We are supposed to get progressively warmer the nest few days--up to high 50's on Friday!!
Adina: another pretty snowdrop. Your DD will surely "blossom" considerably more before the end of her pregnancy! :o))

Current conditions as of 2:55 PM CST
Fair Feels Like: 47 °F
Barometer: 30.27 in and falling
Humidity: 42 %
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 25 °F
Wind: SE 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 AM
Sunset: 5:18 PM

Friday is demanding to be taken outside so I better go. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

Adina, cute picture of your DD. :-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 13, 2010
61 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 48 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the SW

a couple pictures from the San Diego Zoo, and then I'm done

Thumbnail by Kelli

Someone said that koalas spend 23 hours a day sleeping. What is the point of existing if you have to sleep that much?

Thumbnail by Kelli

this gorilla is a year old

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.