January Weather - Part # 2

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread. Maybe this cold weather is coming to an end.
Our weather liar claimed we are going to be done with it by Sunday & also this was the coldest we will see this season.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Finally got the doors on our bathroom cabinets.
Vanity.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Linen Closet.
Very hard to get good pictures in a small room.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It now 7* and later on will be windy chill -12....

I still alive and stay warm! I let my central heater cranky up to 68* and room is normal is 70*... I still sleep in living room on couch! lol...

Rusty and JuJu fight over the rubber balls! (green for JuJu and blue for Rusty)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Most of the snow has melted overnight. It's currently mostly cloudy, 46°F/ 6°C (feels like 34°F / 1°C) .... wind from the S at 22 mph / 35 kmh ... sunrise is at 11:08 and sunset after 4 pm finally at 4:02 :-) The days are getting longer, slowly but surely.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes ....... I really don't have a plan B, I'm just determined to get this job...... which I really don't know what will be ...... it's my former employer (the only pharmaceutical company in Iceland). My former superviser put in a good word for me with the human resource person, so she's going to see what she can find.

Joey - thanks! Beautiful photo! :-)

Bernie - the cabinets look great :-) I'm always so impressed with your work ..... so good you have plenty to do :-)

Mau - poor Friday - hope he's feeling better. He's such a handsome dog :-) Great photo :-)

Rusty - cute photos of the dogs .... hope it warms up soon there !

Hi to everyone I missed! Hope you all have a great day :-)

A photo from last Tuesday .....

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's getting light outside...
Snow: 18°F
Feels like: 7°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 9°
Humidity: 67%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 9 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:23 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
We're still under a wind chill advisory...BITTER WIND CHILLS AND ACCUMULATING SNOW CONTINUE TODAY... WITH UP TO 2 (more) INCHES POSSIBLE

Rann, Thanks, That is so great that some one is trying to help you in your 'quest'! :D I absolutly Love the pic of the church! Wow!
Bernie, Even if the roo is small...your talent shines thru! :D Great Job!
Ric, How are the fishies doin? The guys (at work) were testing out a new proto type for a pond heater yesterday. It will run until the end of next week... I was hoping they would put it on the big pond where the fish are, but the test calls for no fish, just incase there is an electrical malfunction. LOL! It looks like a big green dough nut! :D
Kiska, Glad someone (GS) has cleaned off your eaves & did it safely. I know it was worrying you...it would have worried me as well. It will certainly be a 'weather shock' to you when you get back home! But it will be home. Looks like Frank is keeping busy! :D
Mau, What a great pic of Friday. :D He poses so nicely! I can't get Jack to sit still! :D Maybe on of these years he will slow down enough! ;)
Celia, I meant to tell you ...I love the old muscle cars. I used to have a '71 Chevelle (like the one in your pic), but it was nutmeg brown w/ white stipes, M60's on the rear & DH put a high performance clutch on it...LOL! It took both of My feet to push the clutch in! :D I must have looked really funny driving it! :D Late I got a '78 Camaro that I could change the gears in w/out using the clutch...a true dream! A good raing machine! ;) Now that I look back on it....I wasn't very smart! LOL! :D Is this where 'young & dumb' comes into play? LOL!
Sharon, You're staying gone too long!
BP, are you snowed in?

Well...gotta go up to Wally World for 'stuff'.

Have a great day! All!
Joey

(another pic from before Christmas, we had trouble keeping the heat pump uncovered)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: thanks for the new thread. Good looking cabinets! Sure beats masonite!! LOL
kiska: I'm sure that was a relief to you to know that your grandson took care of that ice overhang problem for you. :o))
Rusty: My little Friday has a ball like JuJu and Rusty--only his is red. They are called "holee rollers" LOL
Rann: it still doesn't "compute" that Iceland is currently warmer than Arkansas!! The weather liars are saying we will be warming up to the high 30's tomorrow! Hooray(if true)!! Your winter photos belong on a calendar--beautiful!
Joey: electrocuted fish would not be good! LOL edited to add: Joey, do heat pumps work very well in your part of the country?? Here in Arkansas, we have found them not to be very efficient when the temps drop below freezing.

It was 16*F on my backporch at 6 a.m. today.
# Today: Sunny. Cold. High 26F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Very cold. Low around 10F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High 36F. (HOORAY!!) Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Something to remind us of warmer days.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 7:50 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-20º
Sunshine. Clear sky.

As slow as this thread was last night, I thought everyone froze!
Weather said it is 15 to 20 degrees below normal everywhere today. Brrr!

Later.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Mine until 4 pm today end of cold blast! I hope it...

It now 5* ... Light snow...

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 8:08 AM

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We are so cold it's not funny! Brrr! Snow flurries in the Orlando and Gainesville area. There is a 30% chance of flurries here tomorrow. It would be nice to have something to show for 8 days of freezing weather.

30.4 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 30 °F
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 7 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.27 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 9500 ft
Overcast 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

We've warmed up some since I've been up. We were at 27.4*. I think I'm getting bursitis in my knees. The pain has been pretty intense since this super cold weather moved in.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joey and Mau :-)

Kiska - I forgot to say earlier that I'm glad your GS could take care of the "hangover" problem ;-) Looks like a lot of work on your daughters place ..... it's beautiful there :-)

Rann

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Bernie, thanks for the new thread! Love the furniture you made!
Rann, great picture of the moon and church! And good news about the job...I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Rusty, such a sweet picture...keep them coming!
Sharon, I can't believe how cold you have!
Joey, did you make a snowman for JW?
E_B, what a great idea for our doggie to be a movie star!LOL

It's been very warm today, 50 at noon and sunny. So warm that snowdrops popped up!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: sorry about the bursitis--hopefully it will go away when things warm up.

50F in Romania--a regular heat wave!! LOL It didn't get above 25F here all day. :o(( Snowdrops already--how nice, Adina!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Before cabinet doors.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New doors, same cabinets.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's freezing cold here and my 4WD still isn't fixed. lol. But my oil has been changed and I think antifreeze was added. My wiper blades were changed too. The one on the passenger side was chewed up so the other one was moved down and then the new one was put on.

I'd say we are in the single digits again now and there's not much of a breeze.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

13* here this AM. It doesn't seem possible it can be colder in TX then Iceland. I can't believe none of the pipes broke.
Lisa

Here's a snow pic from the other day. I'm facing west and I-70 is on my right. The wind was still blowing pretty good and covering the roads up again. We have piles of snow that are over 10 feet high on some roads due to having to clear off drifts. This area in the pic has no trees or buildings around to block the wind.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie that's nice work on the doors!
HUGE change and all for the better.

Rann THAT is a contest shot for sure!

Pepper those roads are absolutely no fun!

Joey you all have a ton of snow too.... ours is just a dusting compared to many of you.

Adina our Snowdrops are happily sleeping... as I hope the fishes are....

7° here currently....
Looks like Tuesday now before we hit freezing... the weather liars keep backing the day off.....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

-5°F this evening under clear star-filled skies. We had plenty of sunshine here today for the first time in what seems like weeks. We had a few inches of super light fluffy snow fall last night but nothing today. I took the snow blower up to the in-laws and cleared a ton of snow that had built up over the past week.

rann.........Love that church photo. I hope you get the job!

Bernie........Nice kitchen face lift!

photo: Everything around here is coated with a layer of ice. It was beautiful with the sun shining.

Early_Bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more.......

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark - clear - 18° - thankfully calm, not much wind. The hot water line to the kitchen froze night before last, started running again yesterday afternoon.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! It's chilly again here this morning. Tonight should be our last night below freezing for a while. It is very unusual for a cold snap to last this long here. ("Long" = 4 days... we are such wusses!!! LOL)

I hear there was an earthquake in northern California. Eek!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (35 min ago)
Temperature 20 °F -7 °C
Dew Point 17 °F -8 °C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 30.70 in 1039.6 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 21.9°F / -5.6°C

Today Sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 11 to 21 in the morning.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the mid 20s. East winds around 5 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a link to the Earthquake
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-eureka-quake10-2010jan10,0,4204701.story?track=rss

e_b Nice!
I love shooting ice!

Marylyn glad the cold is stopping down there!!!!
We can't warm up as long as the southern winds keep bringing that stuff back up here! lol!

Temps dipped to 6° before rising overnight.
It was 10° when I got up 14° currently...
We are on the rise!!!
Looks like we'll break freezing Tues. low 40's by Thurs!

So far the Black Bamboos seem to be handling the transplant and the cold just fine.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: Nice cabinet doors--what a difference in the before and after.
Lisa: welcome--come back anytime!
Pepper: your shot of the snow-swept road looks like it could be some where in the Kansas plains. Joey sent me an email with tips for winter driving. One of them included wiping your wiper blades with rubbing alcohol--it keeps them from dragging on the windshield. I'm going to try that and see if it works.
Marylyn: Wow, that was some earthquake! I had not heard about it--didn't really tune in the news yesterday. Good thing it wasn't in a heavily populated area!
EB: your photos belong on a calendar, too! I would definitely put that first photo on a page for January! LOL
Ric: I hope your fishes are sleeping nicely under all that snow and ice.

It was 16F on my back porch at around 6:30 a.m. It is currently approx. 26F but the Weather Channel says the wind chill is 17F. We are heading for a high in the mid-30's, so they say. Abundant sunshine--no snow or ice.

One of my poinsettias--which are currently residing in my whirlpool tub under a glass block window which gives them ample light.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is the other poinsettia--it has lighter green leaves and a softer shade of red leaves than the one in the photo above.

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pretty Mau!!

Well I just got inside from cleaning off the Satellite Dish .
Not bad. 18°
The Sun has come peeking out.... no heat to it but it makes it seem warmer.... LOL!

Off to the store while I'm bundled up.

It will be a while before we see the table tops..
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Howdy Do Everyone!!

We've had below 0 temps all week with 9º - this morn. I go out and feed the birds, squirrels and fill the electric dog dish with water. Then I'm in for the day.

I've been learning all I can about computers before we order new ones. (We've been using a Gateway for 10 years now and are totally ignorant of all the changes over the years.) We need to go look at a few, ask questions, do a final research and then we'll order. We found that DH gets and percentage off Dell thru his workplace, so Dell it will be. I hope we can use the new one's another 10 years, but I doubt it.

Bernie, nice vanity and doors! The blue walls go well with the browns. I'd love to have that bathroom!

Rusty, I missed the renaming of the pup. JuJu is a good name! Also an adorable picture! It's been hard to stay warm this last week. I'm glad you're doing OK!

Rann, I hope you get your job. That will go a long way to helping the girls feel alright with the changes in their life. It will help you get your life in order too. (I just said a prayer for you.) What a beautiful moonrise over the church.

Joey, it's been so long! I'm snowed, but we were out at 4:00 am pushing snow as soon as we got a few inches. We had snow two days in a row and about 8'' total. That's a lot for us. The weather was nice while it was snowing. I realized the first day, I had been out in my flannel jammie pants pushing snow. With no thermals either. Laughing, I thought you took a black and white picture till I saw the red on the meter. Yep, you got snow!!

Marsue, a lovely bloom to remind us Spring is not too far away!

Sharon, I saw your temps on the tv weather and remembered you saying you love the cold weather. I wondered then, how cold you really liked it :o) I'm sorry about the painful knees. Get some of the heat wraps. They really heat up and feel good!

Adina, what a wonderful picture!! I never have gotten any snowdrops planted, but they look mighty good right now!

Bernie, a magical transformation on the cabinets!!

Pepper, hope you get your truck fixed! Wow, you are out in the open. At least you can see the yellow line. That's what is covered on our highways.

Hi Lisa! You're new since I've been away.

Ric, I hope the fishies are sleeping too :o) You have just enough snow to look pretty. I've noticed how clean and white the snow is this year. I even ate some!

Early, lovely pictures!! It's hard to do justice to the ice thru the camera. I especially like the blue sky! And nothing walked across the snow either. Just a pure picture!

Dyson, bummer on the water freezing. Good thing the pipe didn't bust.

Marylyn, if I lived in a warm state I would be a wuss too!

Marsue, beautiful poinsettas!

Ric, I think we all got the diamond snow. Your's seems to have eyes :o)

(Zone 7a)

31.2 °F
Haze
Windchill: 31 °F
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 19 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.50 in (Falling)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I'm far behind so I kind of skimmed everything since Tues or Wed. I have the flu and haven't even gotten on the computer for three days. (You guys didn't want to hear about temps in the mid 70s anyways, right?) I'm still dragging but at least I don't feel the need to sleep 16 hours a day now. Like Isis, I still spend most of the time laying around, though. I still have all the Christmas decorations to put away yet. Ugh. I can't even have DH do it because he doesn't know what boxes things go into. we don't have a live tree, so there is no fire hazard or big mess.

Chance of rain on Wednesday. Maybe now that all of the bowl games are over, the weather can get down to brass tacks. I swear, the chambers of commerce must have a pact with the devil when it comes to weather during national events. ;-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 10, 2010
71 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 31 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the NNE

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Still warm here, 51, but cloudy and it rained a bit.
Ric, I hope the fish are sleeping under all that snow!
E_B, great pics, wow!
Kelli, glad you are feeling better.Get well soon! I heard about an earthquake in CA. Did you feel it?
Sally, good to hear from you! New computers, great!
Mau, pretty poinsettias! I brought some of mine into the kitchen where it's colder.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

No, didn't feel the earthquake here. That was too far away.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't feel "new". I've been watching this forum and threads but when our weather got so cold I HAD to put my 2 cents in.
Kelli-Just got back from Granada Hills a week ago, I thought it was cold there but man was I wrong.
To see the conditions in Romania and Iceland (the 2 places on the top of my "bucket list" to visit) is so interesting.
Are there any special "rules" that I'm supposed to follow, besides just interrupting?
Lisa

Welcome, Lisa. Nope, no rules. They let me in and I don't even have "weather" most of the time.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 10, 2010
76 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 31 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the North

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: "Not bad" at 18F!!!??? are you kidding me??
BP: good to see you posting. I haven't spent much time outside either in all this cold weather. I only go outside when Friday has to go out because I have to put him on a leash since my back yard isn't fenced. I have been bundling up like an eskimo and only stay out long enough for Friday to take care of his business.
Celia: uh, oh--Monty's relaxation techniques aren't working--his eyes are open!! LOL
Kelli, sorry you've had the flu but glad that you are feeling better now. and yes, I did want to hear about 70F--it would have made me feel a lot warmer!! LOL

Well, there is one rule, Lisa--you have to like to "chat". LOL We do a lot of that around here and not necessarily about the weather. Kelli even started an international phenomenon--posting a short video taken on car trips. She and Rann (from Iceland) have both posted videos for us to see the scenery in their areas. I'm usually alone whenever I drive so I'm not able to make videos but I do snap photos from my car window and post those from time to time. glad that you decided to put in your 2 cents worth!

The weather liars have been at it again--they said we would get up to 38F today but they were wrong. It never went past 30F on my backporch! Currently 28F. and becoming Dyson dark.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Well..according to WX we'll be 19* in the morning... :(

Yikes!

23* and feels like 11*. I don't know what our high was but it felt a heck of alot better than it has for the last few days!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

High this afternoon was 22º.
At about sunset it went down to 16º, now it is back to 20º.
Like pepper said, sure did feel better.
Spent the afternoon at DD house. SIL & DS put a door in the new addition & changed out their old front door for a spanking new one. It won't let the wind in like the old one.
I am going to start on the pantry job tomorrow. DS is making doors for the small kitchen. Cabinets for that job are in the paint room. We will spray them tomorrow, too.

Supposed to hit 32º on Wed. Whoopee!

Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.