Houseplant Collection for 2010 - What are you growing?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Appleblossom Amaryllis I gave her is blooming. Three open blooms and another stalk comming up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

She has two of these poinsettias. They were used in a Christmas church display.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Your Mom has quite the green thumb! Her violets are beautiful! I got the church pointsettas 2 years ago--they looked beautiful til @ March---way longer than any I've ever bought! I think they were influenced by all that time in church! LOL!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL phoebes, My Mom sure wouldn't think she has a greenthumb. I told her there are a lot of gardeners out there that couldn't keep plants alive as long as she has. She has some paperwhites and a couple of philos in that window, too. It's a bit dark you you can see how nice her display looks.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Great window! Your Mom has learned to grow the plants that are adaptive to her conditions, and then provides for their needs, very nicely too!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

HollyAnnS that CC is the biggest one I have ever seen!

I just got our church poinsetta about a week ago or so... I cant get them to go for too long. I should trade it off to someone who can, but the thing is over a foot to 2 foot tall! If I can get it to shipping weather I might be game to trade it off.. Problem is is shipping without klobbering!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I had a poinsettia as a house plant for years. I never did try to get it to re-bloom and then one year it was a casualty of space when we built the addition. Now I just get them and enjoy them for the season. Maybe I will try a few later.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are an annual casualty! Im a poinsettia cereal killer! I get them from my church to at least support a good cause! I think some years I am lucky to get them thru February, but Lord knows I try hard!

In the spring its Easter lilies or tulips.. although I have been known to get a second bloom on the lilies, a third has yet to accur!

I dont often do the tulips because they are a casualty as soon as they are done blooming. Its even rare that I can get them to the next year. Its just too wet. Now if they would do daffodils.. then I would be in toruble.. my donation would be considerably larger! I can do dafs no problema, they love it here!

Well guys, I think in the morning I will start a continuation thread...stay tuned!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry, im a bit slow, got stuck in traffic...
literally!

Anyway, I went back to the nursery where I got the cute lil purple flower.. Im miffed.. now they are calling it something that sounds nothing like what they called it the first time....here is what they said today its a Monkey plant.. Yeah.. making a monkey out of me!

Here is what they said the botanical now is! Im scratching my head and going grrr becasue it truly is not what they said the first time. ANd the name we all agreed on was more like what they told me as it started with C! [Corytoplectus]

Heres their version today: ruelliamakoyana

I truly dont know what to think.. but I gave them a peice of my mind on it and told them.. sure would be nice if they labeled the plants and the clerk agreed. Be nicer too it they were labeled with the right name too! .Its so frustrating when they have such gorgeous lil plants not to know who the plants are!

So here are the two newbs... The three I now have will be heading for a hanging basket in the future. These are in 2" pots to give idea of their siize!

OK, Will be maki ng a new link .. coming up in my next post here for those who this thread takes so long to load!

(Zone 1)

We know Ruellia as "Mexican Petunia" down here but there is one with a common name of Monkey Plant which looks to be what you have: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38212/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Plantladylin,
I will have to check your link.. its one or the other!

Mexican Petunais up here are much bigger and different than what I show in my pic! I want to try some of those. I saw some last year, but it was too late to buy them.

Anyway, here is my new lil prayer plant

And the new link to the continuation of HOUSEPLANTS COLLECTION 2010

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/houseplants/all/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Blossom, I haven't had prayer plants in years. They are so pretty. We went down to Fl. a couple of years ago and visited USF Botanical Gardens. They used prayer plants as border plants in many of the beds. So funny seeing something that we grow in small pots used in such away.

(Zone 1)

Hi ya HollyAnn! I bet that was a pretty sight with Maranta's as a border! With the winter we are having down here I think many are going to lose a lot of special plants. I'm in Daytona Beach and we didn't get out of the 30's today!! That really amazes me ... I've been in Florida for 43 years and have never seen anything like it. I've been sharing this pic on a couple of other threads. It was sleeting from before 7 a.m. until noon here today. There was still ice around at 6:30 this evening so my husband and I went out front and made this little fella ...

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I cant imaging them as border plnats

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric called his Dad in New Port Richie and asked if he knew of someplace to get frozen grapefruit juice. His Dad has a grapefruit tree in his yard and he told Ric he will have some by morning.
Blossom, It is one of the things I enjoy most when visiting Fl gardens. Seeing plants that I grow in small pots in their more natural state. They had Philo growing in trees, they were huge and went 20-30ft and more up into the branches. Holly

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! I was busy running a plow through that stuff up here and your playing around! Love it, enjoy it while it lasts! And they call it global warming... hmmmm!

(Zone 1)

Blossom: Wow! That is a really beautiful scene! We think it's cold here, but I bet it's freezing in zone 5a! I'd have to hibernate all winter if I lived much farther north!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We can thank mother nature for the beauty.

Hibernating is not an option for me.

Thats my GPS and it has plants in it, they get to hibernate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.